• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I sell the NSX for a GT-R?

Would you trade a 2005 CTSC NSX for a new GTR?

• Total voters
I love the gtr but if u read the forums theres a problem with the tranny where it will brake down after 2000 miles. There is a recall for it im not to sure if it has been fixed it for GTR's so....:confused:

Such a tough call...

I'm in a similar crossroads at the moment so I'm taking some time to decide. I've had two NSX's and really enjoyed my brief time with them. However, being such a rare car in comparison to others (911's, M3's, etc) I always fretted about it whenever I drove it or parked it. I'd like another but...we plan on starting a family and throwing most of our savings into a home.

With that in mind I'm having a hard time getting into another NSX that will mainly be a "weekend" car for $50k and then driving a cheaper daily driver with 4-doors. I enjoy driving daily and I'd prefer to be in a nice, really nice ride. This is where I see Turbo2Go at the moment.

In this example the GT-R is such an expensive car that you could easily keep the NSX as it is and sell the Maxima plus some $$$ and have a nice daily. But as you've said its modern and puts the NSX to shame in modern convienences with a similar ride quality and more performance.

I voted GT-R but would find a used one or give it another year while prices on these cars fall...

In Dubai we saw them selling for $30k premiums over dealer list and now we are seeing the Nissan dealer throw in 1 years car insurance and discount the car to get it out of the showroom. That tells you something...

But the GT-R has grown on me and I can understand the daily use consideration.

Still a tough call as the NSX is just so damn unique and reliable.

Sell the NSX, Buy the GT-R, Have fun with the GT-R. Sell the GT-R. Buy another NSX. Have more fun with the NSX, and forget about the GT-R.:smile:

Here is the link to the GTR forum...take sometime and read about the issues that these guys are having with this car, then you will appreciate the Engineering that when into the NSX.
- Transmission problems with a 20K replacement (no repairing)
- Can't LC, warranty claims denied
- $1K transmission fluid change
- $150.00 Oil change
- $ 7K brakes and rotors changes
the list goes on and on....it is FAST, but the maintenance will kill the wallet

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/

Bram

The appeal of the NSX is the reason to keep, maintain, and drive it. If it has lost that appeal for you then you have, on some level, already decided. It is not about any other car by which to replace it.

Wow.... looks like the tuners are already putting down north of 700 HP on the dyno. Yeah maintenance may be a real issue with this thing.

Here is the link to the GTR forum...take sometime and read about the issues that these guys are having with this car, then you will appreciate the Engineering that when into the NSX.
- Transmission problems with a 20K replacement (no repairing)
- Can't LC, warranty claims denied
- $1K transmission fluid change
- $150.00 Oil change
- $ 7K brakes and rotors changes
the list goes on and on....it is FAST, but the maintenance will kill the wallet

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/

Bram

2009's have the revised launch control which lowers the rpm with 5 more hp, and its aceleration time is almost identical to the 08 models. Also they will not void your warranty anymore when using the launch control with the new update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCMnvQS0zgE&feature=player_embedded

700whp gtr vs a ZR1 with a tune and pulley. Both cars hitting 220+ mph insanely fast.

Last edited:
Looks like 09's are being sold for about 10K off. You can get one for about 70K, new. There are a lot of used ones for sale already. Just browsing autotrader it is clear to me this car will most definitely NOT hold its value like an NSX. I went through Nissan's recommended service schedule. It is quite hefty and expensive. I think my NSX is already worth more than some GT-R's. Wow.

I have a lot of additional to add to this thread when I have time, but regarding this:

You guys really think a GT-R will depreciate a lot more than an NSX? I would think a lot of people would want a used GT-R. Same thing with an R8. That thing isn't coming down in price anytime soon.

The answer is HELL YES. #1, you're buying the GT-R new and by nearly by definition will suffer a big depreciation hit when you take ownership. #2 you are proposing to drive the GT-R every day which will cause that car to depreciate much more than your NSX (since you are diluting your total depreciation expense by logging miles on the cheapo cars during the winter).

These are the main problems: 1.) You have an itch to get something new after owning the NSX for a couple of years and 2.) You have too much money in the NSX (especially for how infrequently you use it). Believe me, I understand both of these too well. :)

I work at Edmunds and we own a brand new GTR... it has been in and out of the shop more times than I can count for major issues... we had the transmission replaced twice, the entire electrical system and just about anything else that can go wrong has gone wrong... its an impressive car... its fast but its not worth the maintenance nightmare. :mad::frown::rolleyes:

KEEP THE NSX!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

When I found this thread I was very interested because I too have been on the fence for a while. I actually have a past history with GTRs and Nissans. I've owned S13s, Z32's, and last Nissan was an R32 Skyline GTR, first one imported into Canada in fact. As well, I created and run the Canadian Skyline forums, where these cars, if they are 15 years old, are importable from Japan.

My original plan when I bought the NSX was to own it for a few years until the new R35 became a reality. I had a deposit on the very first one to arrive in Canada, in fact. However, within months I was soon seduced by the amazing grace of these cars. Coming from a 450 hp GTR to a 260 hp NSX was tough, so a bunch of mods were initiated and after 3 years of ownership I am finally happy with my results. I simply love this thing.

However, the R35 beckons to me still. A friend here bought one, and on my last track day I had a chance to ride in it and it was awesome. Its a sledgehammer compared to the scalpel of the NSX but still just as deadly.

I admit when I first read the OP, I was planning to vote for the GTR but reading the replies made me reconsider and I threw my vote behind the NSX. There will always be faster, newer cars. The GTR is not the pinnacle. The car is mean, has tons of presence, but one day the GTR will just be another 15+ yr old supercar, just like the NSX. Park one next to an NSX as my friend did and you'll see people gravitate towards the X. After all these years it still looks amazing.

If I go with my head, I'd get the GTR. My heart goes to the NSX.

I have a number of friends that I know who have owned/own the GT-R, it's an amazing machine, the thing that they all seem to say is that the car has NO SOUL. It's a machine, an extremely competent track car, it's a kick in how fast and competent it is, but that wears off real fast. If you're tracking your car 7-8 times a year, and the rest of the time enjoying it as a "weekend cruiser", you'll not be satisfied for long in the GT-R. I love quoting the Cadillac commercial to people in your position: "When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" If your answer regarding the NSX is no, then you know what you have to do.....................:wink:

Ever thought of an early model Gallardo. I've read on the lambo forums they are quite reliable and not so much a pain in the butt to maintain compared to F cars and such. An 04/05 MY should put you in or near the price range of the GTR. And it's an AWD too! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Dave, are you SURE you want to take a GT-R and make it a daily driver? Park it at Walmart? Drive it in our lousy New England winters? Put up with all the salt on the roads? Give up a garage and park a car like this outside??? Be pissed off when you get your first ding?

Those would be the questions I'd be asking myself of a car that expensive and the answer to me would be HELL NO, and it would turn into a weekend car, just like the NSX.

On paper it looks reasonable finance-wise w/ consolidating insurances. Yep, it's newer and more modern than an NSX. Cassette vs. memory card? Easily solved. Paddle shifters vs. stick? Not so easily solved.

Why not replace one of your boring daily drivers with one car, something a bit more fun than a Maxima or an Element and keep the NSX? You've got a lot invested in it and best off, you know what it's capable of.

Guys how long until GTR drop like a rock! People were paying 10 - 20K £ GBP over the stiker for R8s now they are selling for 60K GBP and less.

Nissan will keep coming out with upgrades and editions and force the used value down.

Keep the NSX mate, I've seen more GTRs on the road than NSX and I drive over 30K miles a year.

If you are going to sell it get Gallardo or R8 IMHO.

Cheers,

AR

I saw one today and it did nothing for me .... I respect the performance of the car but it looks like a 350/370Z on steriods. As you stated when I look at my Nsx I get happy and excited not that I wouldnt get excited about driving that Nissan beast but it reminds me of a gallardo super fast and fun the first few times I drove it but after driving it a few more times I wanted to move onto the next latest and greatest. The nsx is the car I promised myself I would never sell because its been great owning it all these years and gives me so much pleasure without headaches.

If i were you i would sell the NSX and get a GTR. I was in your situation couple months ago, except i was try to sell my 96'T and get the EVO10. Although at the end i kept the NSX and still went for the EVO.

You've already experienced the NSX. Have a relationship with the GTR, you won't regret it. Then you can go back to an NSX... which you will .... Life is too short!:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03984.jpg
    DSC03984.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 170
As far as track is concerned, keep in mind the warranty void on the GTR.

Aside from that, I honestly would have NO PLEASURE with a GTR on the track. Whatever you do, no matter how much you screw up, the car is built to compensate and adjust for almost anything. So who is really the good driver here.. the car.. or you? I like having a car that's well balanced that I can enjoy, which still allows the ability for ME to DRIVE IT.. and not the car to drive me.

GTRs were hot when it was launched here. The official dealer would not handle such and all were grey imports. Now after almost 2 years, the numbers are flat and units sold earlier are selling for nothing on the used market. Reasons being no-one is able to fix such as parts are self-import. Also no shop can claim they have the latest softwares for the work books. The initial owners are all Ferraris/Lambos/Porsche owners and they sold after the honeymoon period of 6 months or less. I love the looks of the new GTR, but if I sell my X which is a '91, I would get a Ferrari 355/360/456/550 instead. Either way it will cost $$ to maintain the GTR vs' a F. F is still the car to own as the next step up. In a few years or less, the GTR would be replaced by the newer Infinti. Am surprised one would drive a GTR/Lambo in the snow...4 WD or not.. my 1 cent!!

Dave, you have nearly 5000 posts here on Prime. It's been great to see you build your NSX up, from your recent PM about the headlights I know you're still enjoying it.

But can I ask why are you only enjoying the NSX at weekends?

Would you drive the GT-R during the week because you'd care about it less and could park it without worry etc?

Factoring in depreciation, the NSX is by far the cheaper daily driver, even if you repaint the bumper periodically etc to keep it looking perfect.

With the GT-R wouldn't you be spending more for a car you'd care about less?

Why not just drive the heck out of the NSX anytime it's not snowing? It's sounds like a cheaper and more enjoyable driving experience.

My vote is for buying the GTR. If you are anything like me, then you will forever be wondering what it would be like to own and drive a GTR. As nice as the NSX is, it is a known quantity for you. Might as well try something different.

I'd say go for it if thats something you want. You can always look for another NSX later.

I think everything you see in the GT-R is wrong. It's like trading a good looking, reliable wife for what appears to be a hot, 'sexy' chick with slightly bigger boobs across the street that you have no idea what you're getting into...

May provide one good night, but far costlier in the end.

If you think with your heart or with your mind, you'd keep the X.
If you think with the penis, you'll go for the GT-R.

Alternatively, you really can't afford the depreciation of the X and assume that you will be able to do so on the GT-R, but you are DECEIVED if that is the case. You're selling one good quantity for one that you have no idea about (or assuming the best).

If you can't afford the depreciation, sell it.

Last edited:
Back