• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I sell the NSX for a GT-R?

Would you trade a 2005 CTSC NSX for a new GTR?

• Total voters
The GTR looks like the japs took an Audi and mixed it up a little, I am not a fan of the new sport car look, even the V10 NSX did not have those timeless, sleek and sexy Supercar looks of the 90's.

If you are after a GTR get an R33 LM version, not an automatic R35 that takes the driving experience away with over the top electronics. Why purchase a car that was bench marked against a Porsche (nothing against Porsche, I have a 911)?

I say keep the NSX, only 7000 odd in the states over 15 yrs compared to a 20,000 per year GTR made by robots and developed with billions from Renault.

gtrlm000.jpg

You guys are convincing me. I still adore my NSX. Maybe I just need a better daily driver. The GTR was very fast but it was more boring than the NSX. Perhaps it is not a great DD either. My NSX may be a bit slower around the track but I am sure it is more fun.

To the guy that said tracking the GTR voids the warranty... is this really true? How would they know anyway? I don't think they can do that can they?

Last edited:
Looks like 09's are being sold for about 10K off. You can get one for about 70K, new. There are a lot of used ones for sale already. Just browsing autotrader it is clear to me this car will most definitely NOT hold its value like an NSX. I went through Nissan's recommended service schedule. It is quite hefty and expensive. I think my NSX is already worth more than some GT-R's. Wow.

Take that data as a trend, and take a guess at what depreciation will be in 2-3 years on a daily driven (read: high mile, and tracked) GT-R will be. Maybe it'll be worth $40k then (and mint condition ones closer to $60k).

From a financial standpoint, I doubt you'll be much, if any, better off going with the GT-R as a daily driver. And, you'll be taking more risk since you're driving an equally expensive car on the track and now you're putting it on snowy streets too.

It seems to me that you actually have the best of all worlds -- the kickass fun NSX for track and weekend enjoyment and an inexpensive dd that you don't seem to mind driving. (BTW, I had my old Integra for a dd when I first got the NSX and I only drove it 1x a month...). Your NSX won't depreciate much, is still new/reliable, etc. As far as daily driving a GT-R being more fun, I can tell you that do so with the NSX definitely takes some of the excitement out of the car. With a more traditional looking/feeling/driving car like the GT-R, I think you'll be bored after 6 months of using it every day.

$.02

You guys are convincing me. I still adore my NSX. Maybe I just need a better daily driver.
Don't take your daily drive boredom out on your NSX. For $16000 you could get a used S2000 for summer and an older jeep for the winter.
Source 1 Auto (Prime member) has a beautiful S2k for $10,000. Pick a fun all wheel driver for the snowy days - and your set.:biggrin:

Don't take your daily drive boredom out on your NSX. For $16000 you could get a used S2000 for summer and an older jeep for the winter.
Source 1 Auto (Prime member) has a beautiful S2k for $10,000. Pick a fun all wheel driver for the snowy days - and your set.:biggrin:

One parking space and a fleet of cars. Doesn't work all that well.

Yaaaaaaaaaay sell that silver POS and get the hell on:biggrin:

Oh yeah dude I want the headers. Also don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out:biggrin:

I think we are missing one key fact the OP stated, he wants a car he can drive staight to the track and back. Get out your wallet! Nissan is treating these cars like F-cars when it comes to service. If you are going to drive this daily and whip it around the track on the weekends, tires, fluids, brakes, etc go quickly.

I say sell the NSX buy a M3 or M5 as the DD pick up a Z06 and make that your track and weekend car. At least if it breaks you can go to NAPA and pick up parts and fix it with a hammer! The GT-R would reqire a long distance call to Japan and a major bill.

There is a guy here that has a GT-R that he drives daily, loves the car but swares like a sailor every time it is in for service, which seems like often.

The real issue you have is that you have a bad case of the "got's to have it's" that pleges us car guys every so often. I say change it up and try something new, you can always come back to the NSX!

I think we are missing one key fact the OP stated, he wants a car he can drive staight to the track and back. Get out your wallet! Nissan is treating these cars like F-cars when it comes to service. If you are going to drive this daily and whip it around the track on the weekends, tires, fluids, brakes, etc go quickly.

I say sell the NSX buy a M3 or M5 as the DD pick up a Z06 and make that your track and weekend car. At least if it breaks you can go to NAPA and pick up parts and fix it with a hammer! The GT-R would reqire a long distance call to Japan and a major bill.

There is a guy here that has a GT-R that he drives daily, loves the car but swares like a sailor every time it is in for service, which seems like often.

The real issue you have is that you have a bad case of the "got's to have it's" that pleges us car guys every so often. I say change it up and try something new, you can always come back to the NSX!

+1 like i said our GTR was just in the shop AGAIN to replace the fuel pump and gas tank... the transmission has been replaced twice ($20k each time) so yea unless u dont care about that then go for it :)

I have both the GTR and my 91 NSX and have tracked them both-
The nsx taught me how to drive on the track- I learned throttle steering, etc.
The GTR is awesome at the track- nothing passes it on the straight-but it is a bit "numb' on the track. The gtr is great to use every day- i have 4 snows and can handle snow and ice ( not deep snow!); the electronics are fantastic and you sit a bit higher - therefore my wife will ride in the gtr but not happily in the nsx!
Aesthetically- the nsx rules! maintenance is zero
my gtr only has 4000 miles- so far no problems-
Tough choice!
jh

Why not consolidate your other two cars (maxima and something else?) and upgrade those two to something a bit better as your daily driver and keep the X?

For instance, say you get 25 grand out of the two cars (probably could be more), add another 15 and you've got 40. 40 is a lot of money and you can get something relatively decent...i think you could probably pick up a used M3 or if you want to stay Japanese there are a few cars there that could be good family cars as well.

You'd still have to keep that garage for the NSX but at least you'll get a bit of variety and you won't hate your daily driver as much!

Last edited:
Yaaaaaaaaaay sell that silver POS and get the hell on:biggrin:

Oh yeah dude I want the headers. Also don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out:biggrin:

I knew you'd come out of the woodwork... did you know the GTR super silver costs like 8K extra?

I have owned an NSX and seen the GTR in person. They are two totally different cars with different experiences. I sold my NSX and I can tell you that some day I will be back into another. The NSX has something that cannot be explained. If you sell it, you will be back buying another.

I say don't sell the NSX. This isn't about which is faster or cooler. I don't think it is really about money either. You sound like you are not yet ready to get rid of your NSX. I have had similar thoughts. "Well if I sell the NSX I can get this car or that and it will be faster." but when ever I look at my NSX I know I cannot do it. I love the car. I dreamed of owning one since I was 14. It has so far been "dream come true." From your originial post I think you will greatlly miss the car once its gone. Good luck with your decision.

You said you can get $80k, then $70 for your car if you sell the parts seperately. Isn't that a little bit steep? I know that the US market is different from the Europe market where in the later one, the cars stand their wheels in their body waiting for a new owner, altough reasonly priced.
Best would be to own both and keep the one you like better.

One warning about used GT-R's. Noone I know will buy a GT-R for aesthetics. Most of them get driven very hard. Whatever you do, buying one is a problem to find a good one, selling one is a problem to convince a potential buyer that the car wasn't driven to death. Both will be compensated with moneywise. :)

I knew you'd come out of the woodwork... did you know the GTR super silver costs like 8K extra?

LOL No I didn't but just goes to show rich people aren't always smart:wink:

Seriously though I was just driving next to a titanium one last week and it's like Audi huge and just not attractive. I had the wife out to a car show and there was a red one. I told her it had awesome performance but she just did the nose wrinkle and said "ewww".

Might I recommend getting a slightly used new M3 instead. True it's a tick slower but if you check autotrader you can find them with less than 10k for under $50k. Negotiating should get you at $42-45k out the door.

I know you mentioned wanting Japanese reliability but maintenance is still covered on the 08 and 09's. Get some winter tires and your good to go for four seasons and track. While still keeping your NSX ( sans the headers your gonna sell me :biggrin: )

Since people are now starting to recommend other cars, I am going to join the party. I am only doing so by recommending an additional car, not a replacement for your NSX. If you are going to replace your NSX, it better be at least a Ferrari.

E92 M3 would be the best bang for the buck for you, its got the look, looks quite exotic to me, probably get more look here in Socal than NSX, got the sound, and it is newer car. Only downside is that it doesn't have hyper performance. I think soon M3 will get turbo V8 from BMW.

Or you can go budget and just get a 335i with $600 JB3. Then you have MKIV Supra BPU++ performance daily driver. For me 335i has much more furfilling power delivery and torque than my CTSC NSX. It is a shame that it doesn't look as cool as M3. That make me want to get rid of it and get something else. Because I got a taste of the smooth and furfilling power, that is one reason why I know I will be even more pleased with GT-R. I just wish they didn't jack up the MSRP by $15k. I miss the old days when 120+yen=$1usd.

This one only has JB3 and intake. There are tons of videos on youtube.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNj-K6X_tLQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TNj-K6X_tLQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

There is no way you be happy with S2K, no disrespect for my S2K homeboyz, but Dave will not be happy with S2K unless it is seriously modified, a new generation Z4 would be a better choice:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-SgrcVIHak&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-SgrcVIHak&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Might I recommend getting a slightly used new M3 instead. True it's a tick slower but if you check autotrader you can find them with less than 10k for under $50k. Negotiating should get you at $42-45k out the door.
Perry,

Your post regarding the price of used E92 M3 got me excited, I actually never did pay attention until after I read your post, I love the E92 M3, so I did a search on autotrader just for fun. The cheapest one I found is $47k, dude, that is serious. I can't believe how easily obtainable it has become. Even at $50k~$55k for one with 10k miles is easily doable and attractive deal for anyone who is in market for a brand new 335i right now, no wonder I started to see a lot of them on the road.

As for GT-R, where can you guys find these deals? I can't seem to find a single used one for under $68k, maybe I just have horrible luck, I tried autotrader, cheaptest used one in Socal is$74k, am I looking at the wrong places?, I will take it if anyone can point me to a used black, white, or dark titanium silver one now for $60k cash or a new one at old MSRP of $69k. I almost walked into Nissan dealership today at Costa Mesa, 2nd time in a week, I had my check book with me. I turned around in the last minute, because my personality would not allow me to walk away without one at all cost.

7000 odd in the states over 15 yrs compared to a 20,000 per year GTR made by robots and developed with billions from Renault.
Sorry, but it is merely your assumption. There are 8949 NSX in US, and roughly 700 in Canada, total approximately 9700 in North America. I think you might have mistaken the production number of 370Z for GT-R.

Regarding total number of GT-R in US, this is from car and driver:
"Here in the U.S., we had previously been told only that our allotment was 1500 a year, on average, over five years".
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ca...urgring_record_u.s._supply_confirmed-car_news

Based on the US monthly sale number, roughly 2000~2500 in the past 12 months.

The way it is made is not much different than how NSX is made. It is virtually completely assembled by hand, if you watch the video, you will see the GT-R assembly team takes a lot of pride in what they do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhw_vq56Zag

Last edited:
Since people are now starting to recommend other cars, I am going to join the party. I am only doing so by recommending an additional car, not a replacement for your NSX. If you are going to replace your NSX, it better be at least a Ferrari.

Finally someone mentions the 800lb gorilla in the room. I know Dave wasn't looking to go this high and I'm not a Ferrari fan but the only car to really "replace" his NSX would be a F430. I just can't recommend it as a track car as I've no idea what it would cost to track one. Let's face it NSX can take a beating! I used to get in 10-12 track events a years with some being several states away and car always blew by taking hard laps for two or three days straight then cruising home like it was just another day:eek:

E92 M3 would be the best bang for the buck for you, its got the look, looks quite exotic to me, probably get more look here in Socal than NSX, got the sound, and it is newer car. Only downside is that it doesn't have hyper performance. I think soon M3 will get turbo V8 from BMW.

No most talk is M3 going back to six cylinder and weight savings due to cafe. I do wonder if they might use the new hybrid 4.4 V8 in the X6 though.

Or you can go budget and just get a 335i with $600 JB3. Then you have MKIV Supra BPU++ performance daily driver. For me 335i has much more furfilling power delivery and torque than my CTSC NSX. It is a shame that it doesn't look as cool as M3. That make me want to get rid of it and get something else. Because I got a taste of the smooth and furfilling power, that is one reason why I know I will be even more pleased with GT-R. I just wish they didn't jack up the MSRP by $15k. I miss the old days when 120+yen=$1usd.

I can't see Dave going with a Supra after having the NSX. Are Supra guys going to R35?

There is no way you be happy with S2K,

Agreed I love S2K but not a car for guys who already have NSX and are looking at more powerful options.

Perry,

The silver paint is $3k option, not $8k, see, that is why I said people over exaggerate too much:tongue:

That color is ironically also the least popular by far, super silver ones actually sell for less used than any other color. Usually when people post WTB, they ask anything but "super silver".

Yeah I'll put Dave's price discrepancy down to the fact that he's been sniffing primer for years:wink:

Your post regarding the price of E92 M3 got me excited, I actually never did pay attention until after I read your post, I love the E92 M3, so I started to search on autotrader just for fun. The cheapest one I found is $47k, dude, that is serious. I can't believe how easily obtainable it has become. Even at $50k~$55k for one with 10k miles is easily doable and attractive deal for anyone who is in market for a brand new 335i right now, no wonder I started to see a lot of them on the road.

Not sure why more Primers haven't noticed this. As soon as I get some other things done I will be getting one of these. Nice thing for Dave and I living in states that get snow is that it's considered a summer car and will go down even lower here in a few months. Not sure why but the old M3 initially held it's value much better than this new version. Heck they were even offering special finance incentives on M3's :eek: Great great car for the money.

It would be so nice to have both GT-R and E92 M3.

Very interesting combo

Here is the deal. I've asked myself the same question because I've dumped some serious cheese into my car in the past 2 years. I know what I bought the car for, I know what it's probably worth. I've decided that I'm keeping my car forever. Yes the GTR is full of neat little gadgets and whatnot, but I PROMISE YOU, you won't have the same feeling in that car as you do the NSX. It's like a fast sedan. Is that what you are looking for? A tall, all wheel sedan?

I'm putting whatever I want in my car, and in the end, it's my car... exactly how I want it. If you wanna put a bunch of crazy stuff on your X... do it!
And KEEP THE CAR! If that's too hard for you, you can always keep your current setup in a box, and if you have to sell it, you can offload your new parts to the masses. But just KEEP YOUR CAR! There isn't another car on the road like the NSX, and if you mod it how you want, there won't be another NSX like yours. I know when I look at my car in the garage, it's probably the only one like it in the world. And it's staying in my garage. :wink:

The X is a special car. Drive it on special occasions. I don't feel like I'm wasting my NSX by not having it be my daily driver. I feel like when I do drive it, I appreciate it more. I agree with what you said about shifting vs. a flappy paddle doo hicky. I'd keep the X and daily drive an element, get a used s2k for the summer.... or get a WRX for the snow. :)

Last edited:
How about a used 997 turbo? They go for like 80-90k. When you go in for warranty its pretty much no questions asked. Or a 996 turbo, they go for about 40-50k right now. They are also awd so you can drive it daily and take it to the track. From what I am reading they are definitely more reliable than the GT-R. They maintain relatively cheap compared to the GT-R, speed is about the same.

After having my NSX stolen I was considering what car to replace it with and the GTR was also on my list, but it was quickly taken off. I dunno if this is true or not but I think I read somewhere that the GT-R engine needs to be rebuilt at about 50-60k miles.

I have an '02 M5 for my "daily" driver/winter car. When I get the NSX off the lift after 6 months of hibernation it's like driving a new car!! The M car with its 6 speed manual tranny is fun to drive and I can haul the family around and make decent size Costco runs.

I recently totalled my '97 NSX and was considering other options to replace it(not a GT-R though). In the end I got another NSX. I was not aware of the maintanence cost of a GT-R, that should make the decision for you!! It is why I did not go Lambo or Ferrari as a replacement.

After watching some of those ZR1 videos on youtube, damn!!!!!!!!!

Recently had my (stock, red 93) NSX in a bigg-ish local car show. Just so happened that they had me park next to a white GT-R. My NSX got probably 5 or more times the attention that the GT-R generated.

Last edited:
Back