• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I sell the NSX for a GT-R?

Would you trade a 2005 CTSC NSX for a new GTR?

• Total voters
OK guys, serious question, I have been a bit confused on this. I have started to track my NSX a bit. That is making me go through tires, pads, I just bought a STMPO chassis bar, rear bumper beam. I may eventually want a KW suspension, then possibly brakes. All in all, I paid 75K for my NSX used with 3K miles on it, and now it has 14K. I have babied it. Overdone maintenance, garaged, etc. Its in great shape. I spent probably 30K in mods with my exhaust, CF R parts, Comptech supercharger. I love the car. But at some point, I have to ask... how much do I put into this car?

I went and drove a GT-R. Its a very fast car, but very different from my NSX. At the dealer all anyone was interested in, was my NSX, not the GTR. Sales peeps, mechanics, everyone gathered around my car. The GT-R is a comfy car. Its modern. The NSX in comparison is archaic. I can buy the GTR and make it my everyday car. Take it to the track. It doesn't need anything to be uber fast on the track. Right now my NSX is just a weekend car. Most days I am driving a boring automatic Maxima or a Honda Element. I have over 100K in a car, and I am driving a car worth 15K most days.

I was thinking, sell my other cars, consolidate. Save the insurance. Sell the NSX's performance parts, put it to stock, sell it. Get one GT-R new and under warranty, and just drive it year round. With a set of snows and all wheel drive, I can drive this thing winter time too. I will put a lot of miles on it, but then... that is why you buy a car. It will depreciate, but not all that much. Parking is tough where I live, I rent a garage for the NSX and I can give that up too.

BUT...

The NSX has a targa top. I love that. Summer time, it is awesome. It looks exotic. It sounds great. I prefer a stick over a computer paddle auto gizmo thingie any day no matter how good it is. Manually shifting the GTR is more fun, but the computer just does it better. And faster. The NSX is low with a great view of the road, the GTR feels more like a fast family sedan. On the way back from the dealer I was on an open stretch with the top off, I reved the motor through three gears, the CTSC was whining behind my ear... It was so fun. I don't know if the GTR is nearly as involving.

The GTR feels safer. It has a Memory card input not a cassette player. The steering feels GREAT, even more responsive than the NSX. I don't know how, but it does. All its responses feel immediate. Just a totally different feel. Its a fat pig though and 1000 pounds heavier than my now 2900 pound NSX.

I thought about buying something else, used. A GT-3, a 360, stuff like that. But then it will be a weekend only car, with the same issues. Only less reliable, will need more maintenance, and I would be even more worried about a major breakdown if I track it. I want a car I can track 6-7-8 times a year. I do know this. I don't need to be a pro, but I love this sport. A performance car without going to the track is a waste of money.

So I can probably get 80K for the NSX and all its parts sold separately. What would you do? I was leaning towards the GTR and this morning I looked at the NSX again, and it is just so beautiful.... even if I sell this car I will always love it. I was at a lambo dealer, the sales guy said "I used to have an NSX, it was my favorite car of all time". This is from a guy that was driving a Gallardo Spyder. Please put your NSX love aside. I am asking for advice if you were in MY SITUATION. After reading, please also vote on the poll.

I'm shaking my head alittle because you kinda should know what you want to do at the end of the day:confused: That said ?'s like this usualy mean to me that $ is more of an issue than the op is letting on.If it were'nt you should be selling buying ect and letting us know with pics ect.......I can't and should not tell you what cars to buy,but I can suggest you will be taking a bigger financial hit in liquidating your current ride.

I'm shaking my head alittle because you kinda should know what you want to do at the end of the day:confused: That said ?'s like this usualy mean to me that $ is more of an issue than the op is letting on.If it were'nt you should be selling buying ect and letting us know with pics ect.......I can't and should not tell you what cars to buy,but I can suggest you will be taking a bigger financial hit in liquidating your current ride.

Doc I don't owe anything on the NSX. It is paid for. But I am not super wealthy and the money does matter to me. I'm more of a normal guy with a real passion for cars. I don't think the financial hit will be that big. How do you figure? I can at least get 70K for the car and all its parts. That puts me within 10K of having the GTR paid for. Less insurance (1 car instead of 3), and more driving time behind the car I have so much money in. Does that not make sense?

Dave,

see it this way: you WILL end up spending money on the GT-R also... it will be like "ohh..it's just this"... "it's just that" and when you know it, you will have the same feeling about the GT-R as you are having about the NSX right now... because then, also the GT-R won't be a daily driver...you end up having it only for trackdays and weekends.

Financially you got to see:

- the money you have on the NSX-R (car and mods)
- the money you will get for car and aftermarket parts
- the money you will spend buying the GT-R

then there are the subject issues:

- which car looks best
- which car will give you more pleasure driving (GT-R drives you VS NSX actually makes you drive the car)
- in the long end future, which one will depreciate more (i think there will be more GT-Rs than ever were NSXs, so i think the answer is obvious)

I think that you are thinking of that because you just drove the GT-R... settle a bit, and in a month start to think about it :wink:

I think it's not a coincidence why so many owners that sell the NSX, end up buying another somewhere in their future.

Nuno

I saw a GTR like 1 week ago, first time I saw on a public road rolling, OMG what a TANKKKKK it is amazing looking, looks like a robot or something like that ... seems like it'll eat all of us ... I don't know though ... you might lose the "special" sports cars feeling, it is an amazing capable monster car .. but again, if I had the chance ... I think I wouldn't do it ... instead, with the extra $$ i would buy a 8K S2k (high miles beat up to death) and transform into a TRACK only car, i don't know ... very serious question this is ...

OScar

I think on a financial level, selling two cars and getting one is a good idea.
I think selling the parts, and then selling the car is a good idea.
The maxima will get you some extra cash, which would be good.
Not renting a garage would save a little coin.

The bill to get a GT-R worked on will piss you off, blow your mind ect. Brake jobs are costly, fluid is expensive for the tranny. The car will be examined under a microscope with a warranty issue may arrive.
I have driven several GT-R's and sold a few. They are nice, comfy and NEW. The new part seems to be the best when comparing any vehicle to the NSX. I thought it was a nice fast car, but I would personally have a ZO6 instead of the GT-R. The AWD system is nice, and having owned a STI, it comes in super handy when bad weather hits and you don't own a suv or fwd car.

I am just not sold on the GT-R. It's a great car, but I don't know if it will be remembered like the NSX was and is today. There will be a new godzilla killer come out in 12 months or so, and back in 1991, it took a while to have a car come out with the entire package.

Good luck with your choice.

p.s. Have you looked at a tt porsche?

Last edited:
You know we’re going to try to talk you out of it, even if you regularly get smoked by GTR’s.
One thing is for sure, there is something ethereal about the NSX, and from your life it will be gone like smoke the moment the new owner drives away.

Edit: Sorry to be so unhelpful.

Doc I don't owe anything on the NSX. It is paid for. But I am not super wealthy and the money does matter to me. I'm more of a normal guy with a real passion for cars. I don't think the financial hit will be that big. How do you figure? I can at least get 70K for the car and all its parts. That puts me within 10K of having the GTR paid for. Less insurance (1 car instead of 3), and more driving time behind the car I have so much money in. Does that not make sense?

Then you have answered the ? Why would you spend more money to buy a new car if it is only a wkend toy and money matters.Seems to me from all your other posts that the nsx suits those needs,and its payed for.

n645577000_1377259_2252.jpg

:biggrin:

Pre-mature 2010 April fool joke?

I voted yes, just to be different:biggrin:

Seriously though, Dave, don't sell your NSX, your NSX is too beautiful. If anything get GT-R as beater.

I don't want to offend your or any other nsx owners. So please ignore my posts if you can't take the truth
As for GT-R, you know I love it, it is my favorite car of all time, tie with NSX, but I am not getting rid of my NSX or paying $91k OTD. My day will come in one of these days, no promise.

I used to hate the look until I saw a black one in person during a trip to Japan in Christmas 2007, that was before one even arrived in State. I saw it in streets of Sibuya, I was immediately in love.

GT-R looks so amazing in person especially in black or Titanium Silver. It is unfortunate that 90% of people probably never saw one in person. Just like R8, it also have that special appeal if you see one on the road or in person. I used to hate look of R8 as well until I saw one in person.

Most people don't know that R35 is a rare limited production car, perhaps will be rarer than NSX. To put things in perspective, for every 10 E92 M3 (one of my favorite car as well) I see, I see 1 GT-R. Even in California at best I see 1 in every 1.5 week. According to hyper REV there is total of 11345 R-34 GT-R ever made. I think R35 GT-R will be almost as limited as R34 GT-R, only total of 2,597 of GT-R had been sold in past 12 months in US.

One can argue that GT-R is big, that is a big plus. Comparing it to NSX is like comparing Sushi to Yakiniku, completely different type. NSX is more beautiful than just about everything out there.

GT-R is similar size as 997TT, 599GTB, the size gives the car that mean presence. If it were small it would had looked odd. Nissan designers created a perfect design using ideas from Gundam, just look at the lines, it is freaking cutting edge. It is not a Ferrari wannabe look, or "they all look the same" Porsche look, it is a look that is unique to GT-R, no one else had done anything similar before.

Mildly modded GT-R vs ZR-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IvhW0pQQ4g

Stock GT-R vs NSX-R at its home court, drift kings comments are funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Pl-E5pe3s

Gear box controversy explained:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1bHGaV-Lvw

SDIM0646.jpg

Last edited:
Then you have answered the ? Why would you spend more money to buy a new car if it is only a wkend toy and money matters.Seems to me from all your other posts that the nsx suits those needs,and its payed for.

I would drive the GTR everyday! Even winters. The NSX is a weekend car now because it is very loud, too cramped, and can't be driven like 6 months of the year here in New England. So keeping the NSX would be a weekend car, buying a GTR would be my ONLY car.

The guy at Nissan told me the book requires they change all rotors along with the pads. We are talking 7K. Didn't make sense to me at all. Change rotors with pads?

From what I've heard from my Nissan guys is that the GTR is pretty expensive to maintain.

For me, it's the Targa top that keeps me coming back. That's just such a cool feature.... otherwise I might was well be driving something else.

Stop modding the NSX and just make payments on a GTR... then you have both. (Get collector insurance on the NSX and only drive it on sunny days). It'll probably work out to the same cost as what you've been dumping in /month.

I would drive the GTR everyday! Even winters. The NSX is a weekend car now because it is very loud, too cramped, and can't be driven like 6 months of the year here in New England. So keeping the NSX would be a weekend car, buying a GTR would be my ONLY car.

The guy at Nissan told me the book requires they change all rotors along with the pads. We are talking 7K. Didn't make sense to me at all. Change rotors with pads?

Ahhhh I get it,but if we are still having this conversation then the $ still matter,but the car(gtr) seems to suit your needs as redefined above.You best look at every option including used porsche tt awd and some of the turbo audis:wink:

LOOKS = NSX wins hands down
RELIABILITY = Tie (probably)
PERFORMANCE = GT-R
FUN FACTOR = NSX (as you said the GT-R is kinda like a family car - you'll find yourself driving it like that too, but everytime you drive the NSX it begs you to have fun in it).

We are lucky to have such problems :rolleyes:!

Ahhhh I get it,but if we are still having this conversation then the $ still matter,but the car(gtr) seems to suit your needs as redefined above.You best look at every option including used porsche tt awd and some of the turbo audis:wink:

what turbo audi? The only thing Audi makes I would interested in is the R8 and it is 35K more than a GTR. Its just that GT-R is really modern in technology and the NSX isn't. Frankly I am amazed the NSX is as fun as it is. Yes, the targa top adds a lot. Chix like that feature too. :D

Last edited:
I'm talking used rs6 or the s6 ect....

I'm talking used rs6 or the s6 ect....

No... I don't really want a sedan. Going from a CTSC NSX to an S6/RS6 will bore me to death. Besides... I like Japanese reliability. That is why I am even considering the GT-R. I think I can drive it everyday and it won't $hit the bed on me.

Are you in Boston? Are you very anal about your NSX (getting dings, chips, minor fenderbenders, etc)? I would have to be making a lot of money to not care about a $100k car getting beat up in a big city like that.

If you give up the garage if you sell the NSX, would that mean the GTR would sit outside overnight subject to who knows what?

I would call your insurance agent to get a quote on the GTR. I was surprised for my quote on a DD GTR and coupled with the depreciation of a new vehicle, and expensive maintenance, decided to hold off a few more years on getting one as a DD. I thought R8 prices would drop quicker :frown:

Dave

No... I don't really want a sedan. Going from a CTSC NSX to an S6/RS6 will bore me to death. Besides... I like Japanese reliability. That is why I am even considering the GT-R. I think I can drive it everyday and it won't $hit the bed on me.

Sorry, but to me the GT-R *is* a sedan. Do you really think it isnt? I see that car as a 2 door sedan like the M3.

I see them near me all the time (there are a couple around here) and it looks huge and heavy.

Ultimately, this is a question only you can answer for yourself. The only objective data I can give is:

1) the GT-R will definitely depreciate in a big way. I just dont see the American market having the "Skyline obsession" the Japanese had. Big heavy muscle cars here are normally American, and the sports car crowd tends to not like big heavy muscle cars outside of a niche. The NSX held value because it was small, light, mid engine, aluminum, etc. and could hang from a styling standpoint with Ferrari and Porsche. Every non car person I know thinks the GT-R is a "normal car" when they see it (I've pointed it out to probably 20 people and the reaction is always "THATS $80k?!"

2) the GT-R is extremely expensive to maintain... Check out the GT-R forums. And Im also not sure I'd bet so much on reliability with that thing. But time will tell on that

Personally, I've driven the RS6 and also the M3 and I dont find them boring but, again, that part is subjective.

I often think that if you even ask questions like this thats your answer. Just go and do it to "scratch the itch". If it doesnt work out, you can sell the GT-R and get something else.

You guys really think a GT-R will depreciate a lot more than an NSX? I would think a lot of people would want a used GT-R. Same thing with an R8. That thing isn't coming down in price anytime soon.

No way I would put the GT-R in any way NEAR the category of the R8, but maybe its just me.

The American public has a hard time with $100k Japanese cars. The NSX didnt get away with it and it LOOKED expensive.

The R8 looks like a super car and its an Audi (and it was in Iron Man)

The GT-R looks like a big heavy Japanese car. Yes the numbers are there, but I dont see it holding up well (esp if they produce a lot of them). Or I guess put a different way, like Doc said, you have to imagine that this car is going to be cross shopped against 911 Turbos and the M6. Nissan has negative cachet and it doesnt "look the part". It will take a special kind of buyer who is willing to fork out the big load of cash for that.

Its partly unfair that, psychologically, for many the GT-R is going to be lumped with the EVO and the STi, but its a risk Nissan took by releasing what is very much a Japanese heritage brand that, on the surface, doesnt seem all that special, to the US.

Last edited:
after reading all the responses, there are good arguments on both sides. i remember frowning in the past over the cost of brakes on exotics so this is going to be my gripe with gt-r as a daily driver:
$7k for a brake job on a nissan?

Back