• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should windows be up at 160mph

Will wind do damage if you have your windows down at +160 mph?

Try it, you tell us :) It won't damage the car, that I can assure you. Whether you'll be thrown out the car or rocked back and forth (especially if you make abrupt changes) I don't know, but I think you're chances of thahappenign increase 100X then when the windows are up :)

You'll also have a heck of a lot of drag though so you better have 400+ hp beneath you because there's no way a stock car will do 160+ with the windows down.

Only if you are wearing a toupe.

I'm sure there is extra drag with the windows down, so you may not make it to 160. BTW: The windows bowing out at high speed - normal.

I've flown a Marchetti with the cockpit canopy open at 200+ mph and it didn't damage anything. :)

SIAI-Marchetti%20SF260.jpg

Last edited:
Only if you are wearing a toupe.

I'm sure there is extra drag with the windows down, so you may not make it to 160. BTW: The windows bowing out at high speed - normal.

I've flown a Marchetti with the cockpit canopy open at 200+ mph and it didn't damage anything. :)

SIAI-Marchetti%20SF260.jpg

LOL - that is awesome! Did you wear goggles and one of those cool leather helmets? I would love to fly in one of those. Do you still fly vintage planes?

LOL - that is awesome! Did you wear goggles and one of those cool leather helmets? I would love to fly in one of those. Do you still fly vintage planes?

Helmet with visor. The plane doesn't have A/C so we would slide back the canopy on the way to and from the dogfight/rendezvous area. If you ever wondered why fighter pilot's have thick necks like linebackers, tilt you head back and stare at the ceiling. Now imagine the weight of the helmet and add 6gs. One day doing that and your neck will be sore for 3 weeks.

I would love to fly in one of those.

You still can... $1400 http://aircombatusa.com/index.php

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/01bLqg7tPN4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/01bLqg7tPN4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A friend and I did Air Combat USA 10 years ago. Had so much fun, my friend went and bought 2 Marchetti SF260s. So when ever I go home to STL and the weather is nice, we go play. :)

Last edited:
I've done 150's with the windows down. Windows up definitely nicer. The only damage I can see happening is to your ears. Also I've have stray objects fly in when I'm crusing in the 90-100's and hit me, usually bugs. Prob the 160's also.

I have done it with the windows down and Targa stowed above engine.

The only thing that has happened the few times I have done 140+ in this configuration is the rear panel behind driver/passenger pops off due to wind curling up behind and pushing off the three plastic pegs holding it in place. Easy fix to just align and push back in its place.

Garraunteed to blow you Toupee off but that's probably a good thing!

Has anyone stoped to ask themselves why anyone would ask a most rediculous question like this? I mean what am I missing here - is this guy for real? I'm sorry I thought you'd actually have to have some personality imbalance to ask this question.

Think about guys, Porsche's windows actually roll up at 75 mph I think it is. Surely under 100 mph. Geez, man are you just crazy? Maybe it's because he's got his "huuuuuuuge" head strapped into a helmut.....ya think????? Either that or someone will probably be scraping his a** up off the pavement in a while along with the NSX that deserved better!

windows down roof on, helmet on ,at 150 no issues.Roof off, windows down ,helmet on , now only at 130 ,wind dislodges rear bulkhead facia and wind pushes head forward,passenger wishes the madness to stop:cool:

I would keep the windows up mainly for the fact that you dont want to have some flying object coming into the cabin such as a bird, insect, or debris.

What if you should pass a swarm of bees? :eek:

...mainly to your eardrums...:rolleyes:

That's my boy!

Has anyone stoped to ask themselves why anyone would ask a most rediculous question like this? I mean what am I missing here - is this guy for real? I'm sorry I thought you'd actually have to have some personality imbalance to ask this question.

... Geez, man are you just crazy? Maybe it's because he's got his "huuuuuuuge" head strapped into a helmut.....ya think????? Either that or someone will probably be scraping his a** up off the pavement in a while along with the NSX that deserved better!

C'mon Noob!

Wind will not do damage to a coupe at 165mph with windows down. Thanks to all for helping with this.

Let's start a new thread - how many NSX owners have driven to top speed with their windows down? Do you think you just might get some funny replies - like I (the noob) posted? I bet you would and I bet there would be some, lets say more mature primers that don't post a lot cause of threads like this, would just laugh to themselves and say man what's happening to our website.....who are these guys.

My responses are half tounge in cheek of course and meant to provide some comic relief - kind of like the thread here - I mean come on - is this a serious thread coming from a mature driver that is actually trying to think thru this. I mean hell, go out and try it and get back to us - you know. I mean let's get serious here isn't this just a bit odd?

No biggy, like I've always said - you don't have to read it if you don't like it. Sorry to be so "critical" but I just had to say something as it seems like a lot of these threads just get started in the most peculiar ways. Noob or not - I sure as hell have been driving at least as long as some of these guys have been alive and probably a lot longer - so I'm not a "noob" to common sense nor am I a "noob" to driving - NSX or no - there are lots of cars that I've owned that can go about this fast if not faster. So I'd say many of these types of questions are almost rhetorical. :rolleyes:

Back