• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Skydivers?

Re: Get 'er done

damn... how much is AFF?

Well Syn, I assume you're serious. If you want to kick this training in the head, fly out here for a week; find a cheap red eye on Sunday night, combine some tunnel time (IFly SF Bay) with your final AFF jumps at Lodi (40 miles south of Sacramento) and you'll be jumping with me on the weekend before you go home a happy guy. :cool:

Caveat: I must warn you since you're young, the danger is that you might turn into a DZ bum and forget to go home. :redface: There are packers who live in their van in the parking lot.

Call Bill Dause and explain your AFF history and see what his deal would be for you to finish your traiining. You won't find a cheaper place to skydive anywhere in this universe. Guaranteed.

that would be absolutely awesome! :biggrin:
unfortunately, i can't even imagine taking an entire week off work (esp with the project i'm working on :frown: )
actually, i'm looking for another job... (that being one of the reasons) and i'm looking in cali. SO, i might just have to take you up on that some day!!:smile:

mark my words, though..... i WILL come back to it :cool:

(btw, i know what you're talking about - "DZ bum" haha. met a few of those at the place i went:wink: . and i almost got lured into staying at the DZ over night since i was going back the next day :tongue: )

attachment.php

I worked in the parachute manufacturing business for 2 years.
Miner, I'm a little out of touch these days, but used to know many of them. Who did you work for and when? Were you cutting, sewing, shipping, writing contracts, doing the books, what?

I spent one summer in the Paraphernalia shop many, many years ago when I was a disgruntled engineer. After just a few months, I realized I was much better with ideas and design than actual production. Had a good time though.

Kind of concerns me with these quick jump schools. I learned when I was in the Army (AIRBORNE!) and it took me three weeks in jump school. Well, OK we were not the smartest in the world. That being said, after three weeks of training, 30' towers, 250' towers and then 5 jumps in the third week I was pretty comportable.

One of the most fantastic experiences I have ever had was a night jump. No moon, couldn't see a thing, total darkness, had to sit there and try to feel the wind blow across my face in order to turn myself into the wind...

Re: Moonless Nite jumps; pucker factor squared

Yeah, my first nite jump was also pitch black; clear, no moon and on an airport a long way from any lights. No idea when I'd hit the ground or what I'd hit. That was a long time ago and my cojones have shrunk considerably since then. :redface:

But well planned 4 way jumps under a full moon over a city and into a well lit landing area...............now that's just F' ing cool. :wink:

Miner, I'm a little out of touch these days, but used to know many of them. Who did you work for and when? Were you cutting, sewing, shipping, writing contracts, doing the books, what?

I spent one summer in the Paraphernalia shop many, many years ago when I was a disgruntled engineer. After just a few months, I realized I was much better with ideas and design than actual production. Had a good time though.

I worked for a small company in the OC from 97-99. They go by initials and that is as much as I'll say. I was the division manager and worked as the chief engineer, CM boss, drafter, rigger, test engineer, sometimes sales agent, IT guy; you name it, I did it. I learned tons about manufacturing, sewing, quoting, business practices. Too much yelling, not enough thinking about what we were doing.

Miner

I did skydiving to combat a fear of heights. The way I figured it, the only way to really stop being nervous about heights was to go really high up (between 13,000 and 14,000 feet) and jump out of a plane with a handy parachute strapped to my back. Something about freefalling with the wind hitting you in your face, and then the perfect silence as you float down. Knowing that all that troubles you in the world is below you, and for once you are above it all. It turned out to be one of the best life experiences. A recent convesation with someone has me going again in about 3 or 4 weeks. The way I see it you can live your life scared of everything, or live your life loving your experiences. What good is a life where you are scared of everything anyway? At that point you are not really living.

I did the exact same thing (tandem and AFF level 1), however jumping out a plane is very different than heights. I also did cliff diving and indoor rock climbing (including in an 80' elevator shaft) to try to fight that fear. I'm afraid to say, it didn't really work. I still hate heights.

I did the exact same thing (tandem and AFF level 1), however jumping out a plane is very different than heights. I also did cliff diving and indoor rock climbing (including in an 80' elevator shaft) to try to fight that fear. I'm afraid to say, it didn't really work. I still hate heights.

I hear what you are saying. We need to get an NSX Club Jump Day and have a bunch of us all sky dive until nobody is scared anymore! :D

I'd like to say the second jump was easier than the first, but that wouldn't be true. The first time I was attached to someone and he had me sit in a manner so I was off balance so he could control the fall out the door.... the second time I had to take that first step by myself. Holy cow. The first time I cliff dived, it took me maybe 30-40 minutes standing there looking down before I got up the balls to do it, with the jump, you didn't have that luxury, you just had to go. That was probably one of the hardest things I've done in my life. Not just jumping out of a plane on my own, but doing it without hesitating, then trying to be aware of everything around me including my altitude and orientation all while doing hand signals.

BTW on that jump I was pretty much on my own. The ground station was supposed to be talking me in and there was another AFF guy jumping at the same time (level 3 or 4 as I recall). They COMPLETELY ignored me and my kicking feet. Somehow I managed to land in the field without killing myself, but I flared somewhat late so I came in pretty fast.

Last edited:
Re: Tough business

I worked for a small company in the OC from 97-99. They go by initials and that is as much as I'll say. ......Miner
Most companies are small, really.

OC? as in Orange County? Must be FXC/Guardian. But I don't get why that info would be sensitive. After Cyprus came along and took the auto opener (or AAD) market away from them, they were not really a player to the general skydiving community to my knowledge. But they have mostly been in the military, specialized market, going back to the 60's, right?

Kind of concerns me with these quick jump schools. I learned when I was in the Army (AIRBORNE!) and it took me three weeks in jump school. Well, OK we were not the smartest in the world. That being said, after three weeks of training, 30' towers, 250' towers and then 5 jumps in the third week I was pretty comportable.

One of the most fantastic experiences I have ever had was a night jump. No moon, couldn't see a thing, total darkness, had to sit there and try to feel the wind blow across my face in order to turn myself into the wind...

Same training (AIRBORNE...as a Navy guy), same thoughts on "quick school".

Re: Apples & Oranges

Same training (AIRBORNE...as a Navy guy), same thoughts on "quick school".
I appreciate what you guys are saying, but I submit that the military is subjected to a much wider spectrum of gear, landing zones, weather and circumstances that all add up to far more risk than the garden variety sport skydiving situation. Granted, mother earth is still unforgiving to anyone in freefall or under parachute, but all the other conditions preceding the actual landing are very very different. No need to write off those civilians as too loose to be safe.

That's my take as a former Marine with 4000 sport skydives.

My wife and I did Tandem jumps over Lake Taupo (NZ) a few years back.

A VERY nice rush.

As a private pilot I typically agree with the "don't jump out of a good running airplane" theory but it was a blast. :biggrin:

Re: Tough business

Most companies are small, really.

OC? as in Orange County? Must be FXC/Guardian. But I don't get why that info would be sensitive. After Cyprus came along and took the auto opener (or AAD) market away from them, they were not really a player to the general skydiving community to my knowledge. But they have mostly been in the military, specialized market, going back to the 60's, right?

You are correct sir. OC as in Orange County and FXC/Guardian.

Miner

Re: Apples & Oranges

I appreciate what you guys are saying, but I submit that the military is subjected to a much wider spectrum of gear, landing zones, weather and circumstances that all add up to far more risk than the garden variety sport skydiving situation. Granted, mother earth is still unforgiving to anyone in freefall or under parachute, but all the other conditions preceding the actual landing are very very different. No need to write off those civilians as too loose to be safe.

That's my take as a former Marine with 4000 sport skydives.

I certainly appreciate and agree with your comments. My concern would be a major emergency and the inability to correct without having gone through those drills hundreds of times. Just my opinion. Nothing more.

Doug

Back