• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So hard to choose

The more I research turbos, the more confused I get.

So far I know of 3 major players (lovefab, SOS and Angus). Are there any other significant players I should look into?

Some basic questions:

1. Which is better Journal or ball bearing (I thought BB would be better, but Ive heard some people actually say the opposite)

2. What size turbo is suggested for single and twin turbo config to acheive the following goals

a. ability to get UP TO 500-600HP someday
b. Normally used to get 400-450HP
c. As little lag as possible
d. Safe on stock 3.2L engine
e. Street use
f. I still want to look as close to stock as possible, targa storage under engine hatch and most of trunk space still available
g. I don't want/need to be the fastest NSX out there, I just want to have an NSX and not compromise on speed and stock appearance

3. Is Meth Injection safe? Do you suggest it?
4. What is a safe boost PSI range for a stock 3.2L engine?

I love my NSX, but I have to admit that when I test drove the GTR I was disappointed when I got back in the NSX. My wife actually wanted me to ditch the NSX and get the Nissan... but I love my NSX!

I would like a GTR killer.. and I figure since they have 485HP now and will have 535 in 2012 model that 500HP would KILL the GTR given our lighter weight. Although AWD is better for 0-60.

There is information all over the place here on prime, but its hard to get all the answers in one place.. Thats why I started this thread. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

J

The more I research turbos, the more confused I get.

So far I know of 3 major players (lovefab, SOS and Angus). Are there any other significant players I should look into?

Some basic questions:

1. Which is better Journal or ball bearing (I thought BB would be better, but Ive heard some people actually say the opposite)

2. What size turbo is suggested for single and twin turbo config to acheive the following goals

a. ability to get UP TO 500-600HP someday
b. Normally used to get 400-450HP
c. As little lag as possible
d. Safe on stock 3.2L engine
e. Street use
f. I still want to look as close to stock as possible, targa storage under engine hatch and most of trunk space still available
g. I don't want/need to be the fastest NSX out there, I just want to have an NSX and not compromise on speed and stock appearance

3. Is Meth Injection safe? Do you suggest it?
4. What is a safe boost PSI range for a stock 3.2L engine?

I love my NSX, but I have to admit that when I test drove the GTR I was disappointed when I got back in the NSX. My wife actually wanted me to ditch the NSX and get the Nissan... but I love my NSX!

I would like a GTR killer.. and I figure since they have 485HP now and will have 535 in 2012 model that 500HP would KILL the GTR given our lighter weight. Although AWD is better for 0-60.

There is information all over the place here on prime, but its hard to get all the answers in one place.. Thats why I started this thread. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

J

The GTR sets a high standard to shoot for, but it is the standard for today. In general BB turbos are better they can take a lot more abuse, but its only one aspect of the turbo. There are plenty of non bb units that perform well. The Garrett GT-r turbos are top of the line in reliability and performance in part to the BB center section but also in part to their high performing wheel designs.

If you have goals of 600+whp i would pick up a new garrett gtx3582r, or for a twin setup a pair of gt2860rs' for goals of 600+ which may be what SOS uses for their twin setup, if not i believe you can fit gt28rs' inside gt28r housings for a direct upgrade.

GTR's run mid 11s stock so you are going to have to shoot for low 11's high 10 second car so higher 12x MPH at the track. 500whp should do the trick. 600whp should net 135+mph trap speeds. These goals are doable but would be tough to attain on the stock motor with long term reliability. There is no need to run the meth why add an unnecessary element to worry about failing.

Thats my opinion take it for what its worth. I hope they correct me if in wrong but i dont think any of those 3 kits you listed affect your targa top or trunk space.

Last edited:
I'm about to pick up my turbo conversion from MaseEngineering later this week and I have high hopes for slightly more than 400hp on his ultra conservative dyno. His kit comes with a water cooled intercooler and one of the new style Precision turbos with ball bearing and billet wheels. This turbo capable of making up to 700hp. His point is that if you ever decided to build the motor to take high hp you wouldn't have to change anything whatsoever on the turbo kit. Steve is one of the highly respected tuners out there and regularly flies around the country tuning peoples cars. Stay tuned and I will be posting comments and dyno sheets

CaptainJman,

Plan on a 25k budget if you are trying to get to 500-600rwhp. You might as well do a full build right from the get go. That means a stronger trans, twin disk carbon clutch and a built stroker motor. The GTR is fast, really fast. Next year's car will be running 0-60 in under 2.9 seconds. No 2 wheel drive car can do that.

Isn't new Corvette ZR1 pretty close to 2.9second?

OP: Sorry, but I think it will be hard to make NSX as GTR killer.

CaptainJman,

Plan on a 25k budget if you are trying to get to 500-600rwhp. You might as well do a full build right from the get go. That means a stronger trans, twin disk carbon clutch and a built stroker motor. The GTR is fast, really fast. Next year's car will be running 0-60 in under 2.9 seconds. No 2 wheel drive car can do that.

At first i was going to say 25k would be on the high end IMO, but after looking at some numbers, if you can't do the work yourself you can plan on spending 25k to reach 600whp with a built motor. A stroker crankshaft isn't necessary, the oem honda crank is forged and strong from the factory.

I had a top quality kit fabbed for 5500 including a full air to water intercooler, and exhaust. Injectors, EMS, fuel pump, and twin carbon clutch would be an additional 4300. Parts+machining to sleeve and build the motor would add up to $8000 give or take. Thats $18000 right there plus labor to pull the motor, assembly the longblock and reinstall. There isnt all too much you can do to the trans without spending a lot of money 10k+.

At first i was going to say 25k would be on the high end IMO, but after looking at some numbers, if you can't do the work yourself you can plan on spending 25k to reach 600whp with a built motor. A stroker crankshaft isn't necessary, the oem honda crank is forged and strong from the factory.

I had a top quality kit fabbed for 5500 including a full air to water intercooler, and exhaust. Injectors, EMS, fuel pump, and twin carbon clutch would be an additional 4300. Parts+machining to sleeve and build the motor would add up to $8000 give or take. Thats $18000 right there plus labor to pull the motor, assembly the longblock and reinstall. There isnt all too much you can do to the trans without spending a lot of money 10k+.

There is only so much you can squeeze out of the NSX safely. I guess the best thing to do is just forget about the GTR killer, because it sounds like at the end of the day I will be spending GTR $$, and then some, just getting there. I think 400-435HP would make the car fun - and not get too expensive. I guess its hard for me to put down 15K and only get 110HP increase, that seems expensive, doesn't it? Im coming up with 15K cost because either system is gonna be 12K installed, and Im gonna need a better clutch, and small doo-dadds that will prob add up a bit.

Keep it at around 400 rwhp and you're pretty good to go with any of those kits + a decent clutch. If you're looking at stock GTR straight line acceleration, then I think you'd be able to at least match one. Check out this vid:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9FzM9Am19I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The lovefab car loses, but it's going against a modified GTR. At the very least, go for one of the basic well-sorted kids from any of the above you list and enjoy!

There is only so much you can squeeze out of the NSX safely. I guess the best thing to do is just forget about the GTR killer, because it sounds like at the end of the day I will be spending GTR $$, and then some, just getting there. I think 400-435HP would make the car fun - and not get too expensive. I guess its hard for me to put down 15K and only get 110HP increase, that seems expensive, doesn't it? Im coming up with 15K cost because either system is gonna be 12K installed, and Im gonna need a better clutch, and small doo-dadds that will prob add up a bit.
You should contact Steve at Mase engineering 904-268-3001 for an installed price. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I just quoted a member $9425 total for a complete kit installed and dyno tuned including gauges and upgrade to full EMS - and even oil and filter.

Last edited:
Keep it at around 400 rwhp and you're pretty good to go with any of those kits + a decent clutch. If you're looking at stock GTR straight line acceleration, then I think you'd be able to at least match one. Check out this vid:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9FzM9Am19I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The lovefab car loses, but it's going against a modified GTR. At the very least, go for one of the basic well-sorted kids from any of the above you list and enjoy!

Rematch in dry conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sHbn6Cb2Q&feature=related

Have you seen Prospeed's turbo:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121492&highlight=prospeed

UPDATE!!!

Prospeed NSX Turbo kit on the Dyno!

Thanks for everyone's patience. We have been busy finishing up work and we finally got this baby on the dyno for all to see. Here is the dyno graph of the Prospeed NSX Turbo kit. We were happy to see how efficient the kit was! At only 5.1 lbs of boost we were able to put down 400.5HP and 303 ft lbs of torque! The timing was conservative and we could have made more hp but we are happy with the results as it sits.

I want to thank Bisi and their staff at Bisimoto engineering for the help and support! Bisi did a brilliant job on tuning the AEM EMS. The car is smooth and idles perfectly! I can't stress how important it is to have a good tuner. Thanks again!

We will be attending the august 6th South Coast Acura Meet to showcase the car to anyone curious or interested in the Prospeed NSX Turbo Kit! Look forward to meeting everyone there! :smile:

IMG_2266.jpg

Car: 91 NSX with 69,XXX miles
Mods: Stock engine, Prospeed NSX Turbo Kit, AEM engine management system, 91 octane.
Results: 400.5HP at 7597rpm, 303.7 at 5349rpm. all this at only 5.1 of boost!

YELLOW DOTTED LINE: Prospeed NSX Turbo Kit

BLUE LINE: Uni filter, Topspeed header, Prospeed HFC, Taitec GTLW, Prospeed Rom Tune

ProspeedT_PwrAug09.jpg

ProspeedT_BoostAug09.jpg

The results speak for themselves. We were able to put out some decent numbers on the stock engine. The car drives like stock at all rpms. The power comes on smoothly and wickedly fast! I need to upgrade brakes now... :frown: I am pleased with the results and I hope you guys like it as well!

The kit is officially available for sale! :smile:

Link of dyno run---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94uNeZV__F4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/94uNeZV__F4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/94uNeZV__F4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I love the exhaust sound!

Wanted to update this thread with Shaw's new dyno graph. I'm loving the torque! Thanks Shaw! What was the temperature and humidity down there when you did this?

988.jpg

Last edited:
If you can wait to spring, why don't you try and drive or some of the local cars and one of the get togethers.

Will's kit is a very good bang for the buck. Having been in two of them now I can tell you they haul ass.

I have the best solution - turbo your NSX to 420hp for $12k. Enjoy it during the time that you take to save up for a GT-R. ;)

This is a very good suggestion but you wont need $12K...

but won't most people need a clutch either with the turbo install or shortly after?

Shortly after for sure... LOL...

How come no one ever asks "which car is more fun to drive?"... I mean I could have just switched to a GTR over a year ago and I didn't because after a long test drive the extra speed was there but more fun was not...

Sitting up high and flicking a paddle was not for me. I don't care how fast it was. I'll take a Miata over a Veyron if it turns out to be more fun...

Since you are in Chicago area I would think it would be a fairly easy decision to make arrangements to have Cody at LoveFab take care of your build.

Which clutch are you using?

Henry.

You asking me? I'm still on the OEM one. I plan on picking up a SOS clutch. Either the sport clutch (which everyone has nothing but excellent things to day about it), or the newer twin carbon clutch.

I figured I would do a bunch of work at the same time. I want to put in new engine mounts (I have some vibration), might as well do a TB and water pump. The previous owner had it done about 3-4 years ago, but who knows for sure.. I kinda feel like its worth it. New hoses, diff oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, and throw in a new battery (seems to be weak when cranking).. So getting the clutch done at the same time seems like a good idea.

I would love to talk to someone who has had both the SOS supercharger and twin turbo.. anyone have both and can make a good comparison?

Jason

Back