• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So I got engaged!

allow me to share the world's shortest fairy tale.

Once upon a time a handsome prince asked a beautiful princess to marry him.

She said no.

He lived happily ever after, the end.

Now you know, that after you get married the stats say you only have a 50% chance of staying together.

That "stat" is urban legend. However these stats aren't:
Getting marriage greatly increases your chances of getting divorced.
Surveys suggest that 100 per cent of divorced people had experimented with marriage at least once.

Last edited:
+1 on that, im second in line to buy the Zanardi if you need a minivan for lots of kids.

I want that Zanardi, will beat any price your offered.

I want that Zanardi, will beat any price your offered.

I've been offered +$60k, where's you check book? :biggrin: But dont worry, Im not selling.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I doubt the Zanardi will be involved in the wedding, as we are going to do something on the beach by our apt.

It was funny, last night when I proposed we drove in the Zanardi....I think that ruined the surprise as it might have been her second time in the car. :biggrin: We always would drive the 92 and needless to say, she loved it!

Being 31, and plenty of fun ones being single. :rolleyes: I can HONESTLY say that I'm ready and I'm very happy.

Congrats man! Did you get engaged at Christmas and just tell us?? haha.

Anyway, I'm engaged and my wedding is less than 3 weeks away! :eek:

Word of advice: Don't have a wedding, just elope, it'll save you and your fiance a whole lot of headache and a whole lot of money that you can put into the NSX . . .and maybe a honeymoon if there's any left over. :wink:

Congrats man! Did you get engaged at Christmas and just tell us?? haha.

Anyway, I'm engaged and my wedding is less than 3 weeks away! :eek:

Word of advice: Don't have a wedding, just elope, it'll save you and your fiance a whole lot of headache and a whole lot of money that you can put into the NSX . . .and maybe a honeymoon if there's any left over. :wink:

Nah, just an old pic. I was running out the door and that one was the first one I found.

And trust me, we're doing something low key. Beach side, in the sand, just close friends and family. Maybe a cocktail hour or something. I've seen way too many friends and family blow tons of money on wedding, only to end out broke and in dispair. Not a cool way to start a life with someone.:wink:

Congrats !!!!!!!

That "stat" is urban legend. However these stats aren't:
Getting marriage greatly increases your chances of getting divorced.
Surveys suggest that 100 per cent of divorced people had experimented with marriage at least once.

The following statement about the divorce rates in America reveals all the details about distribution. According to enrichment journal on the divorce rates in America, the divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%; the divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%; the divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%. According to discovery channel, couples with children have a slightly lower rate of divorce than childless couples. Sociologists believe that childlessness is also a common cause of divorce. The absence of children leads to loneliness and weariness and even in the United States; at least 66 per cent of all divorced couples are childless. According to some experts, however, divorce rates tend to go down primarily because more couples live together without marrying. Other researchers have documented what they call “the divorce divide,” contending that divorce rates are indeed falling substantively among college-educated couples but not among less-affluent, less-educated couples.

These combined totals puts the divorce rate over 50%. I'm just sayin, they look happy now, why mess with success? But since you've already driven the nail, I hope the joint holds for eternity (that's a long time).

The following statement about the divorce rates in America reveals all the details about distribution. According to enrichment journal on the divorce rates in America, the divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%; the divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%; the divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%. According to discovery channel, couples with children have a slightly lower rate of divorce than childless couples. Sociologists believe that childlessness is also a common cause of divorce. The absence of children leads to loneliness and weariness and even in the United States; at least 66 per cent of all divorced couples are childless. According to some experts, however, divorce rates tend to go down primarily because more couples live together without marrying. Other researchers have documented what they call “the divorce divide,” contending that divorce rates are indeed falling substantively among college-educated couples but not among less-affluent, less-educated couples.

These combined totals puts the divorce rate over 50%. I'm just sayin, they look happy now, why mess with success? But since you've already driven the nail, I hope the joint holds for eternity (that's a long time).

For every statistic you find, I can find one that shows the opposite. It all comes down to the source. The reality is there is no one entity that tracks these statistics in aggregate. I can throw you at this link which explains how the myth may have come to be:
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/divorce.htm
but it probably means about as much to you as your info does to me.

The bottom line is who cares what the statistics are, get married because you love each other and you want to, the math of others' relationships has nothing to do with anyone else.

You know, Mike's a good guy and I'm happy for him.
It's an announcement that the guy is obviously happy and thrilled about. He's seen his share of the single life and has found someone he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Pretty cool.

Maybe this is not the place or time for this type of stuff.
I'm sure no one is trying to be rude or nasty, just maybe funny but, some of the comments are tacky and in bad taste.

Didn't your mothers teach you nothing?

Last edited:
You know, Mike's a good guy and I'm happy for him.
It's an announcement that the guy is obviously happy and thrilled about. He's seen his share of the single life and has found someone he want to spend the rest of his life with. Pretty cool.

Maybe this is not the place or time for this type of stuff.
I'm sure no one is trying to be rude or nasty, just maybe funny but, some of the comments are tacky and in bad taste.

Didn't your mothers teach you nothing?

Amen!

Mike, Congratulations. You are definitely doing it right. Small wedding with friends and family somewhere that you both enjoy. When people spend tons of money on a wedding it blows my mind. The most important thing is that you both have fun and your real friends and family are present to celebrate with you. Best wishes.
Michael

Congrats Mike:).

So one little detail. What is her name?? So I can say Mike and ??? are getting married:).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Congratulations Mike!!

It is so wonderfull to see somebody so happy and excited. You are a great guy and you are both very lucky to have each other.

I wish you many many years of wedded bliss.

we are happy for you both....Marriage works best when both parties are emotionaly ready and have no regrets about thier past ie wants/needs ect...31 is a fine age to enter into that sacred pact...good luck. As an aside being a car guy I proposed to my wife on the side of the road on the tami-ami trail in a rented boxter...lol.

Back