• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, who's planning on buying the new NSX?

If they're going to turn heads, the price will need to be less than the 2014 Porsche GT3.

Press release 3/4/13:

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/1...niversary-of-the-911-with-a-new-GT3_Final.pdf

Video telling more than you want to know -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls

Excerpt below....

World premiere at the Geneva Motor Show

Porsche Debuts Fifth Generation of the 911 GT3
Atlanta. The new Porsche 911 GT3 premieres this week at the Geneva International Motor Show. The completely-redeveloped fifth generation of the 911 GT3 occupies the top position among Porsche sports cars with naturally-aspirated engines. With an impressive lap time on the Nürburgring Nordschleife of under 7:30 minutes, the 2014 911 GT3 benefits from a new engine, transmission, body and chassis. The car now sprints from zero to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds on its way to a top track speed of 195 mph. The 2014 911 GT3 will go on sale in the United States late in 2013 and will be priced from $130,400, not including a $950 destination charge.

You forgot to mention the motor. Just 3.8 L yet makes 475 hp! Impressive.

Suspect that they are hoping to take on the Audi R8 for price but with better performance. I agree that they are going to need 500+ HP or a MUCH lighter vehicle. I would prefer a lighter car with improved power to weight ratio, something light 5:1. 2800 lbs with 550 hp would be phenomenal but highly unlikely

It sounds like no one really knows what is going on with the new NSX. Once again it seems like this car will be ditched at the last minute. Has anyone heard about any of the US factories being prepared to produce the car. There are usually inside leaks about some of the production processes of a new car like the NSX.

WTF are you even talking about? This is supposed to be built in existing plants in Marysville. There is a whole Japanese contingency stationed there to head operations. There is no word on the streets because talkers are immediately fired. This is nothing new. Get your facts straight.

The amount of misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread is hysterical. I guess it is comforting to talk jibberish when you are clueless to the facts.

Last edited:
Gents (and ladies), ya don't need mondo-mega-massive HP if there is torque-on'demand via the electric motors appositioned accordingly. I believe this is what will allow the forthcoming NSX-v2 to be sub-500 HP but yet perform like a others w/ 500, 600, or more HP.

It's all in execution w/ electric-assist powerplants, whether to let the gas-powered powertrain to take "time'off" (fuel-economy) or to augment the gas-powered powertrain when applicable (performance). I'm thinking (and hoping) Honda is taking the latter into consideration as much as the former.

To reiterate myself from past, if I can get 9/10 of the performance of a 911 GT2, 458 Italia, Gallardo, 12C, etc & 100% of the sensory/visceral experience for 1/2 the price in a reliable/dependable package... it may be time to tap into the slush'fund!

It's gonna be whole lotta samolays at purported MSRP, and I'm thinking there will be an initial & ongoing depreciation from $130k's (presumable MSRP) to $80k's-$90k's in 2yrs-3yrs onward where it will settle into.

Any idea of the door-opening mechanism (ie. conventional side-open or angled or upward)? It needs HSC-like doors! :D

And what about the monocoque/construction (ie. aluminum or composite or else)? It needs carbon-composite along w/ light(er) alloys for structural rigidity, times have changed! :p

Think there will be a roofless version downstream (ie. roadster/spider/drop-top/T-top)? Hopefully it'll be pre planned/engineered this time around! :redface:

Last edited:
WTF are you even talking about? This is supposed to be built in existing plants in Marysville. There is a whole Japanese contingency stationed there to head operations. There is no word on the streets because talkers are immediately fired. This is nothing new. Get your facts straight.

The amount of misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread is hysterical. I guess it is comforting to talk jibberish when you are clueless to the facts.
alright..I can guess why you are all fired up.....so start talking.....:wink:

WTF are you even talking about?.

Have you been in coma and just woke up.? Do you remember the HSC concept car? I went to give a deposit on it when word first got out but luckily I didn't. I am basing my feelings about a new NSX using previous actions by Honda/Acura which can't be denied. I would think that a program that is this far along would have a working drivetrain.

WTF are you even talking about? ;)

I thought some time ago, someone posted here stating that some people in Honda have already driven a running drivetrain already.

I thought some time ago, someone posted here stating that some people in Honda have already driven a running drivetrain already.

I haven't read that but I do not understand why we've seen no testing at the "ring". I mean what gives? No ring times? It's as if they are going to dissappoint one more time. I am beginning to wonder if they actually have a working car anywhere.

Now as we've had the GT3 video posted here - btw - awesome car - absolutely awesome - and all that for 130K - wow - Honda has a tall order if they come in over that - I believe their pricing will be close to where they were at the end of 2005 - I'll give em another 20k for hybrid - and that's a lot.

But here's the real kicker - Porsche comes out with not one video but, what, maybe 4 or 5, now that's advertising! That's a company on a MISSION!!!! Where is Honda/Acura? Really, huh, no advertising - no building of drama or excitement as they get ready to launch there most important car since 2005 - I mean really WTF. Are they really serious? Let's face it if a company was trying to really impress it would be about the power and speed and engine tech/hybrid tech, but nooooooo, all we get are pictures of the car and pictures of an interior and we're not sure whether it will really look like that or not? Honda/Acura have a lot to learn about advertising in my book. What do you guys say?

I haven't read that but I do not understand why we've seen no testing at the "ring". I mean what gives? No ring times? It's as if they are going to dissappoint one more time. I am beginning to wonder if they actually have a working car anywhere.

Now as we've had the GT3 video posted here - btw - awesome car - absolutely awesome - and all that for 130K - wow - Honda has a tall order if they come in over that - I believe their pricing will be close to where they were at the end of 2005 - I'll give em another 20k for hybrid - and that's a lot.

But here's the real kicker - Porsche comes out with not one video but, what, maybe 4 or 5, now that's advertising! That's a company on a MISSION!!!! Where is Honda/Acura? Really, huh, no advertising - no building of drama or excitement as they get ready to launch there most important car since 2005 - I mean really WTF. Are they really serious? Let's face it if a company was trying to really impress it would be about the power and speed and engine tech/hybrid tech, but nooooooo, all we get are pictures of the car and pictures of an interior and we're not sure whether it will really look like that or not? Honda/Acura have a lot to learn about advertising in my book. What do you guys say?
Well, within the past year or so, Honda/Acura have rented out major midwest racetracks/roadcourses (namely in Ohio) & trailered in 458, 12C, R8 (unsure if V10/GT/etc), etc. Obviously, to benchmark & assess.

With regards to a N'ring time... Honda did have the HSV-10 out there in camo tearin' it up, putting up better times than the LF-A; but, obviously the '08 global credit crunch & recession squashed the development/release of it.

So, this is where I am now...

• HSC form-factor
  • HSV-10 engine
  • NSX-Concept technology
= perfect NSX successor! :D

I actually like the current NSX concept look more than the old HSC, that thing was good looking but awkward at some angle. It wasn't as polish as the 2014 concept. As for the V10, I totally agree that they should put it in the NSX. Don't let that masterpiece of an engine go to waste and yes couple it to a full time electric 4wd system. Done right, it could kill GT-R even from a dig due to instant torque. On a track, RWD biased AWD would offer excellent handling and superb traction. And finally that V10 is something that people see fitting/need for a $150K+ exotic not the mention the soundtrack.

= perfect NSX successor indeed!

Well, within the past year or so, Honda/Acura have rented out major midwest racetracks/roadcourses (namely in Ohio) & trailered in 458, 12C, R8 (unsure if V10/GT/etc), etc. Obviously, to benchmark & assess.

With regards to a N'ring time... Honda did have the HSV-10 out there in camo tearin' it up, putting up better times than the LF-A; but, obviously the '08 global credit crunch & recession squashed the development/release of it.

So, this is where I am now...

• HSC form-factor
  • HSV-10 engine
  • NSX-Concept technology
= perfect NSX successor! :D

I feel that this thread needs perspective. So I give you this map that any half hearted attempt at Google Maps could reveal for one's self:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=40.308854,-83.524075&spn=0.071866,0.169086

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218192082501782842098.0004d9e2cf39d3453e959&ie=UTF8&ll=40.307975,-83.549996&spn=0.047993,0.036393&t=h&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=218192082501782842098.0004d9e2cf39d3453e959&ie=UTF8&ll=40.307975,-83.549996&spn=0.047993,0.036393&t=h&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Where the next NSX is being built.</a> in a larger map</small>

The tiny little square in the upper area is Honda America Manufacturing. It holds thousands of employees and makes most of the Honda's to come out of Ohio. It is HUGE! This is where an elite team of engineers is currently working on the next NSX.

The giant ass circle sitting outside their front door is the highly guarded Transportation Research Center. Car manufacturers from all of the America's bring their vehicles here for high performance testing.

Then of course, there is Mid Ohio, where ALMS and Indy race. Even DocL knows what that is! :biggrin: So Honda has the place on retainer and can have it emptied at a moments notice thanks to the strong relationship and lucrative sponsorship that they provide.

So......WTF would they give a rats ass about the Nurburgring until the vehicle is getting closer to final production specs???

Last edited:
Juice,
Thank you for the map & explanation. That does indeed place things in perspective. Like others, I wondered where could they possibly be testing this new car? Guess we now have an answer. I had originally thought that Honda only had a manufacturing facility, but didn't know they had a massive test facility that close to their plant.

Knew about Mid-Ohio and when I heard the NSX was being built there, I was wondering how far the facility was from Mid-Ohio.

Geez Juice came off pretty harsh there...

Geez Juice came off pretty harsh there...

Oh my, it is all in good fun. I was merely playing off of my earlier post.

The point is that there is a lot of negative, misinformation popping up here. Hell, there may be a tornado that hits the plant and then this one will be cancelled too. But why is every one who should be excited about this acting like there is no chance in hell that this car will actually be built?

Porsche has always pre announced their intentions. Honda NEVER has. Right or wrong, you need to just take it for what it is. I'm not really a fan of Acura right now either, but I am staying positive when it comes to this car. I just want it to happen.

I agree with you, I have seen no reason why Honda won't produce this car. Like I said a while back in a thread somewhere lost in NSXPrime. I rather Honda take their time and get the car right than rush it and put out a crappy product. I will probably never buy one, probably due to price, but doesn't mean I don't want Honda to produce it.

I want a bloody wing on the back of the new NSX.
I also wanted to see one when the auto show came to town and was given a lame excuse by Acura when it did not show up.....

$170K??? You have to be kidding me. I'll buy the new Lotus Esprit for the targeted $120K (if I had the cash)

The Lotus Espirit is dead. All new Lotus' are, atleast for now. You can only buy an Evora or Evora S.

I had read somewhere that the new NSX price was $170k or maybe $150k base with $20k in options. I'm sure dealers will ask way over sticker, probably $200k, LOL (lets hope not).

I remember when the 91 NSX came out, I was 20 yrs old, the local Acura Dealer had a "Market Adjustment" on the car and was asking $150k, a lot for 1991.

Well Mr. Juice - I really don't think there is anyone here that doesn't want this car to come out and be produced. I think it will - or let's put it this way - I surely hope it will and I believe it will. Now they built the HSV and put a V10 in it - that was back then when there was talk of a front engine car. They put that one on the ring. The original NSX was tested on the Ring. They've got an oval in Ohio and Mid Ohio - but if they were testing at Mid then there would be spy shots and you all know it. They can't take a pee with that car and the press not know something.

Acura/Honda have made tests with a car before - and now with this car 2 years away from production there isn't one spy shot of it running anywhere. I'm not spreading misinformation cause I don't have any information!

Now as to a V10 in the new NSX - you can for sure forget that. It if comes out over 150k - it better out perform the new GT3 - that's all I have to say. 200k - forget about it - it would have to be a super car - and maybe it will be. I just am curious why Honda would tout the HSV and have a proto motoring about and not have anything running 2 years before it's supposed to hit the dealer lots. Call me crazy but there was sure a lot more action with the first one - wasn't there?

Not being negative - just a bit anxious as most of us are. I will not be able to afford the car anymore than I can afford a GT3 but i love the idea that Honda is going to do this. As I said there is not one of us chiming in on this thread that isn't lathered up about the prospect! I just want to see one running in pasley on some track don't care which one!

BTW - what the big secret? I have an idea they haven't decided on the power plant. I could be wrong tho - been wrong before.

I have an idea they haven't decided on the power plant. I could be wrong tho - been wrong before.

Believe you are on to something here.
The bar has been raised with the Porsche GT3 and where will it be in two years?
I'm convinced Honda is positioning the NSX against Porsche - 6 cylinder to 6 cylinder
Would not be surprised if Honda has had to rethink their original driveline plan in light of these and future developments.

This car business is tough!

I see more and more talk of two versions of the car. AWD hybrid and RWD standard (at lower cost). So these talks of price may not be all that accurate as we are only talking about one model. It's possible they vary by as much as 20-30K. I am sure the AWD Hybrid tech is not cheap to manufacture.

Hybrid - not so much more - look at the hybrid Civic vs the non hybrid. But if you add AWD - well now your talking something new. But the RL used to be made with AWD but now the RLX will be strictly FWD? Go figure so I would think they'll stick with RWD, which is really FWD tech but because they put the engine in the middle/rear then it's RWD - but same FWD tech. I think they can put hybrid power in but it makes sense that it be AWD so the electric engine, from what I heard will all be up front. We'll see - but I can see the engine being a modified version of gthe 3.7 litre RL engine with more than 300 hp and the electric motors making up another 100 + hp - of course that's a guess but I bet I'm close. The only way they can keep this car reasonably priced is to do it with stuff they have like the RL engine just hopped up with go faxt stuff so it will rev up to 8k. That's what they've done with the GT3 and Porsche has already made a race car GT3 with hybrid tech - Acura has to match that or just be outmoded before they even debut.

That's my take - not going to have two engines or one with hybrid and one without - no way - that just won't be Honda like at all. We'll see if I'm right hopefully soon. Something has to give or Leak - right....._

The only way they can keep this car reasonably priced is to do it with stuff they have like the RL engine just hopped up with go fast stuff so it will rev up to 8k. That's what they've done with the GT3 and Porsche has already made a race car GT3 with hybrid tech _

I believe the J37A2 is a 90 mm bore x 96 mm stroke so at 8250 rpm (same as the GT3) the J37 piston speed is 26 m/second.
I understand that is high for a production engine. Our C30A engine piston speed is 21.5 m/second and the new Porsche GT3 engine piston speed is 22 m/second both about 15 % slower.
Could you elaborate on what you're thinking that Honda can do with the J37A2?

Listen if Honda could get 290 hp out of a 3.2 and Porshce gets 475 hp with a 3.8 - I'm sure that Honda could take a 3.7 and get 400 hp. If I knew exactly how they could do that I'd have a job at Honda. I've watched the 3.8 litre Porsche engine be develped to the point that they can rev it over 8 and make it durable - I know that Honda with their extensive race knowledge in F1 can do it with a 3.7. Just sayin...But what would you think they're going to do - figure out how to transversely mount a V10 in the car? I don't think so. Honda is very good at taking what they have in the parts bin and making something hot. just like they did with the NSX gen 1 and 2 engines. Believe me they know how. I believe they will!

Last edited:
Back