• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some quick newbie questions.

gtr

Experienced Member
Joined
19 March 2005
Messages
396
Location
SE Michigan
Hi all,

1.What is the redline on the 3.0L engine? What rpm is fuel cut?
What is the red line on teh 3.2L engine? What rpm is the fuel cut?

2.What are the rim dimension for the 95-01? Does the stock tire perform best in dry?

3.Which is stronger 5 speed or 6 speed.

4. Can an old NSX ABS be modifed to the new 05+ models with current software. Or does the new models have ABS+ EBD?

5. Is Mobile 1 recommended for NSX's? I recall the honda guy on best motoring suggested OEM oil :confused:

6. Besides the pre 94 snap ring issue and the crack dash is there any other defects on the NSX? If I buy a new dash would it crack again or is it fixed for 05?

7. Is the targa for the 95-96 worst than the 97+?

8. With a 96 model can i change headers and intake+exhaust without ECU upgrades? (Would it run like stock)?

Thanks in advance.
:smile:
 
For 3.0L, redline is 8000 (manual transmission) or 7500 (automatic).
For 3.2L, 8000 (manual; not available with automatic).

Rim dimensions for all years are here .

Snap ring was an issue for (some) 1991 and 1992 cars. See here .

Lots of us use Mobil 1; no problem.

I'll leave the harder questions for other people :biggrin:
 
gtr said:
Hi all,

1.What is the redline on the 3.0L engine? What rpm is fuel cut?
What is the red line on teh 3.2L engine? What rpm is the fuel cut?

2.What are the rim dimension for the 95-01? Does the stock tire perform best in dry?

3.Which is stronger 5 speed or 6 speed.

4. Can an old NSX ABS be modifed to the new 05+ models with current software. Or does the new models have ABS+ EBD?

5. Is Mobile 1 recommended for NSX's? I recall the honda guy on best motoring suggested OEM oil :confused:

6. Besides the pre 94 snap ring issue and the crack dash is there any other defects on the NSX? If I buy a new dash would it crack again or is it fixed for 05?

7. Is the targa for the 95-96 worst than the 97+?

8. With a 96 model can i change headers and intake+exhaust without ECU upgrades? (Would it run like stock)?

Thanks in advance.
:smile:

1. The redline is at 8000 the limiter kicks in close to that also. The same is true for the 3.2
2. From the faq:
Years F/R Diameter Width Weight
1991 - 1993 Front 15" 6.5" 15.20 lbs.
1991 - 1993 Rear 16" 8" 18.86 lbs.
1994 - 2001 Front 16" 7" 16.75 lbs.
1994 - 2001 Rear 17" 8.5" 20.85 lbs.
2002 - ? Front 17" 7"
2002 - ? Rear 17" 9"
And I think you will find that most tires perform best in the dry :smile:
3. I don’t think there is a problem with either one
4. Anything can be modified to any spec if you throw enough money and time at it. I’m not sure what’s involved but rest assured it’s not trivial and the original brakes are not too bad.
5. I doubt that the correct grade of Mobil 1 will do any harm
6. I don’t know about the dash crack issue and I’m sure there are lot’s of gripes but nothing serious imo
7. All NSXs are great! However given that the targa is a little heavier and less stiff and the 95 still had the 3.0 and 5 speed you might argue that it is the least desirable. I said might!
8. Yes you could and I hope it would not run like stock after going to the expense and trouble.

Regards,

Patrick
 
SugrueNSX said:
18. Yes you could and I hope it would not run like stock after going to the expense and trouble.

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick, sorry if i was unclear. I was asking about stock drivability. Some OBDII cars are very sensitive to mods throwing off the sensors with a large amount of air/exhaust causing the ecu to over compensate thus equivalent to a poorly tuned automobile.

I may purchase a 96 and wanted to raise the torque. The NSX is a nice cruier car thus I wanted the Targa. I'm not worried that it being slow because i really dont' feel the car is super high performance by today's standrad. I just want more torque and increase to 300hp. I'll use something else as my weekend warrior. :smile:
 
gtr said:
Patrick, sorry if i was unclear. I was asking about stock drivability. Some OBDII cars are very sensitive to mods throwing off the sensors with a large amount of air/exhaust causing the ecu to over compensate thus equivalent to a poorly tuned automobile.

I may purchase a 96 and wanted to raise the torque. The NSX is a nice cruier car thus I wanted the Targa. I'm not worried that it being slow because i really dont' feel the car is super high performance by today's standrad. I just want more torque and increase to 300hp. I'll use something else as my weekend warrior. :smile:

Please don’t apologize, I’m just giving you a hard time.
My NSX is bone stock but it seems to me that you are already aware of the potential pitfalls of tuning. As you know you must do your homework and it’s best to fit a package that is tried and tested unless you want to be a pioneer which can be expensive.
There are plenty of after market tuning parts for the NSX. I think you may find that with headers and cat back upgrades you will get most of your increase in power at the top end and not so much in low end grunt. In my humble opinion if you are driving any NSX to anywhere near the max on the street most sane passengers (including me) would be telling you to slow down rather than saying “You know I think what this car really needs is a set of headers and maybe a re-chip”

Regards,

Patrick
 
Back
Top