• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

state-trying-to-seize-five-high-end-cars-involved in street racing

Crown-trying-to-seize-five-high-end-cars-involved in street racing

I don't understand how this is a law / can possibly exist? How can they steal/thieve your property as a result of speeding? Why not just fine/ jail / take license.

Free country my ass...Whats far worse than some kids driving fast, is the iron fist coming down and stealing 500k worth of cars. Just IMO.

I am not saying this is a good or a bad law but you need to realize that any government can make any law that it wants. And you have to bear in mind that this was not a simple case of some poor kid going 10 km/h over the speed limit or someone getting a little exuberant driving to work. This was a case of a dozen idiots taking over a freeway and blocking traffic while they raced at excessive speeds. It was shocking and incredibly stupid and dangerous. Had they been caught red-handed they would have been thrown in jail. Ordinary citizens who get caught speeding don't get this kind of treatment. Only inconsiderate morons who endanger lives do.

How can a law like this exist? It is, sadly or happily, depending on your perspective, what we all must submit to for living in a free and democratic country. The majority elects a government that then passes laws. We may like some. Others we may not. If we don't like the laws, we can vote to change the government and they can repeal the law.

Other times, laws which are unfair or improper get challenged and struck down by the courts. Why do you think that Shakespeare wrote: The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers? It is not because he hated lawyers. It was because lawyers are defenders of our civil rights and can protect us from an over-zealous government.

We can all complain about the impact of laws that we think impact our freedom. The US is very proud of being a free country - and I think it is - but it has been known to ban someone from flying on its airline for no reason other than where they were born or been. Does that change my opinion of the US? Not at all. I have a great many friends in the US and it is a wonderful country. Is this a bad law? Maybe not but it can be abused. Just ask my friend, a Canadian citizen, who made the mistake of being born in Iran and having a stamp in his passport that indicates he visited Iran.

It is all a question of balance. These kids will get their day and court and their chance to convince a judge that they don't deserve to have their cars taken from them. And who knows, maybe the judge will decide that the law is unconstitutional.

Last edited:
Back