• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

psychologically yes...the seller sees their 100k mile driver as a comparable to the 150k 25k mile 05.....

What are you guys thoughts on where values are headed? Continued steady increase? Just when I think they can't go up more, they jump a significant amount. Mine is higher mileage, but it's still worth 3x the amount I paid for it 10 years ago.

Up, up, up.

I think the only potential downward pressure factors will be the increasingly limited supply of gasoline, regulatory risk with respect to ICE vehicles/emissions and younger generations' (millennials and younger) being unable to operate a manual transmission.

Otherwise- it's a legendary car with relatively limited supply and the generation that lusted after it (GenX like me) are moving into their peak earnings. Look what that did for the boomers and the 60's muscle cars. A numbers-matching 1970 Hemi Cuda was like a $500,000 car at one point.

Up, up, up.

I think the only potential downward pressure factors will be the increasingly limited supply of gasoline, regulatory risk with respect to ICE vehicles/emissions and younger generations' (millennials and younger) being unable to operate a manual transmission.

Otherwise- it's a legendary car with relatively limited supply and the generation that lusted after it (GenX like me) are moving into their peak earnings. Look what that did for the boomers and the 60's muscle cars. A numbers-matching 1970 Hemi Cuda was like a $500,000 car at one point.

This is the dumbest take I've seen in a while. They're going up because people can't import them for cheap from Japan and they're going up, like everything else. All used cars are through the roof. If anything the stock NSX peaked by now. Modded cars are going up though. See recent modded NSX and Supras selling for double or triple what people said they would sell for just years ago.
'le kids can't shift' Kids aren't buying these. And they can shift. Have you not seen how high 996 prices are going for? Car doesn't even matter any more. If it has a six speed, it's selling.

If anything the stock NSX peaked by now.

If I had zero manners, I would say that is the dumbest take I’ve seen in a while.

But since I do, I’ll just say that I disagree with that.

When I look at the actual sales data on BaT etc., it seems to me that the trend shows that mint, stock, low mile cars will continue to appreciate.

Last edited:
If I had zero manners, I would say that is the dumbest take I’ve seen in a while.

When I look at the actual sales data on BaT etc., it seems to me that the trend shows that mint, stock, low mile cars will continue to appreciate.

X2.:encouragement:

X3 - Modded cars are certainly what dreams are made of, and in the USA we are independent and want our special cars to stand out. However, a modded car does pose some risk to a group of potential buyers (IMO). I'm not saying it devalues the car, but it likely thins the herd for whom will pay top dollar. That can translate to supply/demand economics.

Of course, a dealership installed CTSC package that retains the Honda/Acura warranty does not apply. ;P

restomods are the biggest surprise to me in the last 5 years of watching the auctions....

This is the dumbest take I've seen in a while.
Really? Ok. I mean, you're right- what do I know about NSXs? Thanks for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

They're going up because people can't import them for cheap from Japan and they're going up
The RHD import market is less than 1% of current U.S. Gen1 NSX transactions. It's in the statistical noise and has no effect on how much people are willing to pay for a LHD NSX, of which there are thousands in this country.

I do think the import restrictions and costs will have an effect on the "special" JDM models like the NSX-R (I believe one or two have already made it over here) and the Type-S and S-Zero, which I believe will become available for import this year. Sticking my finger in the air, I'd say the Gen1 R is a $400,000+ car in the U.S., Type-S is $250,000+ and if by some miracle someone actually finds a S-Zero and imports it, I doubt that happens for any price below $500,000.

If anything the stock NSX peaked by now./
'le kids can't shift' Kids aren't buying these. And they can shift. Have you not seen how high 996 prices are going for? Car doesn't even matter any more. If it has a six speed, it's selling.

The people buying the 996, F355 and 360, etc. right now aren't "kids." They are GenXers like me who grew up on stick shifts, now have money and want to buy their dream cars from the 90's. I took a quick poll at my staff meeting, where there are about 20 younger lawyers and paralegals who work for me, and asked anyone who knew how to drive stick to raise their hand. One young lady raised hers and and the rest laughed. Not a statistically significant sample set by any means, but it tracks.

Agree 100%.

restomods are the biggest surprise to me in the last 5 years of watching the auctions....

Maybe I should adjust the coverage on the Imola? :D

Last edited:
Looking at these prices make sure your insurance is up to date. I just bumped mine up and lowered my cost at the same time.

Looking at these prices make sure your insurance is up to date. I just bumped mine up and lowered my cost at the same time.

Not to stray too much off topic but I do have an agreed value insurance at $100k on my 95 NSX with 21k miles. The premium is surprisingly high for me (never ever been in an accident…knock on wood, late 40s.) at $1500 a year. Or is that normal for the amount covered?

Not to stray too much off topic but I do have an agreed value insurance at $100k on my 95 NSX with 21k miles. The premium is surprisingly high for me (never ever been in an accident…knock on wood, late 40s.) at $1500 a year. Or is that normal for the amount covered?

That’s more then double what I’m paying for $70k in NY. I got a “contract to sign” with my old insurance that said the car was only insured if I was driving it so I dumped them. My Superlite is insured for $100k for $985 a year. I can also lower my premiums during the winter months. I have accident history, no fault but still I have hit a deer every few years with my daily. I live in the Apple capital and drive at night to and from work.

I don’t drive my NSX at night and park it just before hunting season when the yard Burgers start moving around a lot.

Last edited:
That’s more then double what I’m paying for $70k in NY. I got a “contract to sign” with my old insurance that said the car was only insured if I was driving it so I dumped them. My Superlite is insured for $100k for $985 a year. I can also lower my premiums during the winter months. I have accident history, no fault but still I have hit a deer every few years with my daily. I live in the Apple capital and drive at night to and from work.

I don’t drive my NSX at night and park it just before hunting season when the yard Burgers start moving around a lot.

Thanks for sharing that. I might have to call around and see if I can get better rates. The premiums have been going up slowly even though this is through USAA recommended American collector insurance policy. Even my Z rates have jumped from $150 a year to $300. Agreed value on that is $24k.

My 03 with 45K miles is also insured at an agreed value of $100k with a $1600 premium, I'm 37, no accidents. So it seems right, unless we're both paying too much. That's with American Collectors, though I did get quotes from Hagerty and Grundy as well, and they were all roughly the same coverage, premium, and limitations. Though it's tough to compare rates with each other when none of us are sharing the itemized details of our policies. Not saying we need to, just something to consider.

Last edited:
My 03 with 45K miles is also insured at an agreed value of $100k with a $1600 premium, I'm 37, no accidents. So it seems right, unless we're both paying too much. That's with American Collectors, though I did get quotes from Hagerty and Grundy as well, and they were all roughly the same coverage, premium, and limitations. Though it's tough to compare rates with each other when none of us are sharing the itemized details of our policies. Not saying we need to, just something to consider.

Good to know! Thanks. You’re right about the details and so many variables that can affect the rates. At the current rate, we may have to up the value in a couple years. NSX values seem to be doing better than the SP500. Lol.

NSX will continue to appreciate in value! Doesn't take a NASA scientist to figure this one out.

As supply goes down, prices go up! All the other mentioned factors could be contributors but not enough to affect the sale prices.

We are in Silicon Valley which has a fairly large share of the car market and talking to clients on a day to day basis, we see much more GenX guys who have the cash flow to buy these cars. Just in the past month we had 2 good clients both with Ferrari's mention to us they bought their "dream" car. When we asked they said it was a low mileage NSX. These guys trusted us to ensure their dream machine stays perfect and we always take good care of the cars. It's safe to say most of these owners have cash to buy whatever they like.

All of the purchased cars were well in the 6-figures so that shows a strong trend for low mileage clean examples.

Just upped the insurance coverage on mine two days ago. Ins guy said Hagerty rep wants documentation of the value. Sent him the Hagerty FMV page lol.

Just upped the insurance coverage on mine two days ago. Ins guy said Hagerty rep wants documentation of the value. Sent him the Hagerty FMV page lol.

Same here. My company is giving me 6 figures for my Imola restomod. I spoke to one of their head underwriters and pointed her to the NSX valuation tool and BaT. No questions asked after that. :D

Same here. My company is giving me 6 figures for my Imola restomod. I spoke to one of their head underwriters and pointed her to the NSX valuation tool and BaT. No questions asked after that. :D

Yeah, no questions, especially after that Imola sold for $245K plus fees! How much did they up your rate? My 05 with 24,700 miles stock was upped $643 per year. Paying just under 1500 now.

Last edited:
I certainly dont have a crystal ball but I think inflation has to be a factor in the value. As the dollar gets weaker, prices of everything increase.....including used cars. As for the NSX, I cant think of a better car to keep for the long haul. Even if the value stabilizes or drops, you can still drive it!!

So true. I'm getting the itch for something European and with a stupid amount of power so I'm considering selling my 93 that just turned 40K miles last week. :torn:

I know in 10 years when I see them selling for $200k i'll be pissed though hahaha

Back