• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

STMPO NSX turbo kit….. Individually Customized Per NSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: STMPO NSX TURBO KIT….. Individually Customized Per NSX

ross, how easy would it be to add a catalytic converter to the kit? do you think i would need one to pass emissions in arizona?

i think it would be pretty cool if you added a cat that had vbolt clamps on it so you can easily remove it and replace it with a straight pipe when needed...

regardless, great job.

although, im not surprised, ive seen what you do and its impressive.. all the parts ive seen you make look top notch when it comes to quality... i definitely need to come down and see the new shop.

raffi

ross, how easy would it be to add a catalytic converter to the kit? do you think i would need one to pass emissions in arizona?

i think it would be pretty cool if you added a cat that had vbolt clamps on it so you can easily remove it and replace it with a straight pipe when needed...

regardless, great job.

although, im not surprised, ive seen what you do and its impressive.. all the parts ive seen you make look top notch when it comes to quality... i definitely need to come down and see the new shop.

raffi

Raffi... thanks for the kind words...

Our turbo kit already comes with a cat on 3" stainless... There are actually 4 total exhaust option... 1 included in the 6495.00 at the owners choice... but this is what is available

1) 3" straight pipe - stainless
2) 3" straight pipe with a high-flow cat
3) 3" staight pipe with a burns stainless muffler
4) 3" straight pipe with a cat and muffler

The exhaust options are available to cater to the individual need of the buyer...

also... the all exhausts bolt up to the turbo... but the entire kit is v-banded... meaning coming off the tubbo and entering the t0body will be the only couplers.... everything else is v-banded.

Come on by...

STMPO NSX TURBO STAGE 3 Info....

please check this post for finished and detailed pics shortly

Wow what a beast!!!!! Going to look awesome finished...I know where I am going for my turbo stufff!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Re: STMPO NSX turbo kit….. Individually Customized Per NSX

How can you build this quality with these numbers for so much less than Lovefab???? Welds are incredible!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Hey Ross, Great speaking with you. You know how much I think of you, you are the best. I will schedule my second drive from VA to see you. My car is running great. Let’s get my kit ordered up and let’s make some power!! I figure I will head out in a few weeks. Thanks for leading the way to NSXXXTC!
I can’t wait to feel the TURBO. I will get a check out in the morning.
Wes

Do you sell individual turbo parts to "complete" others turbo kits or "upgrade" an existing kit? I may need some additional parts to install my kit I bought off Prime from another member.

P.S. YOU ROCK MAN...for offering these new products!!!!:biggrin:

ok i will take my discount for that infomercial...ha/ha:wink:

Do you sell individual turbo parts to "complete" others turbo kits or "upgrade" an existing kit? I may need some additional parts to install my kit I bought off Prime from another member.

P.S. YOU ROCK MAN...for offering these new products!!!!:biggrin:

ok i will take my discount for that infomercial...ha/ha:wink:

Brent,

Every single part on our turbo kit is available individually... so you will have no problem completing or upgrading what you have.

Send me an email when you find the time....

[email protected]

Y-PIPE PICS ADDED TO THE FIRST POST...

Here is another as well

Attachments

• y-pipe - flange up.JPG
    y-pipe - flange up.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 238

Stage 1 (no wta or ata innercooler).....

Attachments

• stage 1 charge pipe -  long way 2.jpg
    stage 1 charge pipe - long way 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 307
  • stage 1 charge pipe - catch can and intake.jpg
    stage 1 charge pipe - catch can and intake.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 286
  • stage 1 charge pipe - engine bay.jpg
    stage 1 charge pipe - engine bay.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 369
  • stage 1 charge pipe - engine bay 3.jpg
    stage 1 charge pipe - engine bay 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 346
  • stage 1 charge pipe - over wheel 2.jpg
    stage 1 charge pipe - over wheel 2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 447

Please don't be offended by this comment, buy that is a lot of tubing. I presume you are trying to keep the non IC'd setup consistent with your ATA IC'd setup and judging by the shape of the catch can/tank, clearance for your strut bar assembly. If you're married to this route for the non IC'd turbo setup, I would suggest a smaller diameter tubing since the HP goals are probably smaller overall.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:

It means if you only can run 5 psi or under, you don't have to run intercooler or watercooler unless you spray meth

I dont mean to be offense, but could you explain the piping?

Certainly.... The distance in piping is very similar to the love fab

underside_450.jpg

and the DIY turbo

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=31152&ppuser=16509&sl=a

considering the turbo is mounted in a very similar location.

It's just the coarse the pipe takes that is changed ....

We don't like idea of running the the charge pipe unprotected under the car either... road debris and your calling a tow truck...

This is the same path our current dyno shows as well....

Please don't be offended by this comment, buy that is a lot of tubing.

Yes it is... it's also has the numbers to show it works
I presume you are trying to keep the non IC'd setup consistent with your ATA IC'd setup and judging by the shape of the catch can/tank,

The catch can is an additional feature to add... Clearance of the overflow tank and fuses while keeping the piping symetrical was the actual goal. We dont have a stock strut bar here to put on for the pic.

clearance for your strut bar assembly.

Symetrical was way ahead of our strut bar... But we believe our strut bar is the highest quality bar with the highest functionality available on the market... why would we limit ourselves...
If you're married to this route for the non IC'd turbo setup, I would suggest a smaller diameter tubing since the HP goals are probably smaller overall.

Thanks for the suggestion... If we are unimpressed with our dyno numbers next week... we will try that.

Ross, I had the opportunity to speak to a trust (jdm greddy) tech back in 2004 when I had them prototype on my k20 and I questioned him when he put a smaller diameter piping on the charge side of my turbo kit. I asked him why he was making the charge side a 1/4 inch smaller than the piping before the intercooler, what be said has always stuck with me.. And I'm sure you already know this, but his reply was that since there was a long distance of piping it would GREATLY increase the amount of velocity. He also said that they saw much better dyno numbers with a slightly smaller diameter whenever there is more than 28 inches between the turbo and the throttle body.

My question to you (since you obviously more educated with F/I) does his philosophy make sense or was he just blowing smoke up my a$$?

Ross, I had the opportunity to speak to a trust (jdm greddy) tech back in 2004 when I had them prototype on my k20 and I questioned him when he put a smaller diameter piping on the charge side of my turbo kit. I asked him why he was making the charge side a 1/4 inch smaller than the piping before the intercooler, what be said has always stuck with me.. And I'm sure you already know this, but his reply was that since there was a long distance of piping it would GREATLY increase the amount of velocity. He also said that they saw much better dyno numbers with a slightly smaller diameter whenever there is more than 28 inches between the turbo and the throttle body.

My question to you (since you obviously more educated with F/I) does his philosophy make sense or was he just blowing smoke up my a$$?

What a lot people don't understand Raffi... Is making FI of this magnitude is all in theory... turbo theory is a complex equation. In the situation you mentioned... it could be the turbo size, whether it's ball bearing on not, or where the piping had to travel through....

An example of this would be if you used a garrett t3/t4 turbo (which is a small non bearing turbo) yes... it could increase velocity. If you were using a Garrett GT40r... you probaly would decrease the performance because velocity is the variable in the eqation for the speed of air and the GT40r would be limited on the volume it can produce... which is that turbo's speciality

aka - that theory he had would be changed by changing any of the above.... so yes and no on the smoke....

On our set up.... nothing changed but a big ATA innercooler which increases the total volume of air for the charge... so even though we are not cooling the air... we are using the same turbo so the effeciency of the design is not changed. I hope that helped....

Regards

I run an identical turbo set up to several other Factor X cars, except I run a slightly smaller pipe diameter. For relatively the same amount of boost, I run less overall HP but I spool up faster and have higher torque but drops off quickly at higher RPM. In looking at my dyno's it would appear that the smaller diameter is a trade off for faster spool and higher torque but a lower top end as the air is gets choked.

I run an identical turbo set up to several other Factor X cars, except I run a slightly smaller pipe diameter. For relatively the same amount of boost, I run less overall HP but I spool up faster and have higher torque but drops off quickly at higher RPM. In looking at my dyno's it would appear that the smaller diameter is a trade off for faster spool and higher torque but a lower top end as the air is gets choked.

Thanks for this... it helps to support the idea of turbo theory... changing one aspect to increase a variable... can lead to effecting another variable...

May I ask what turbo? WTA? ATA? and boost level?

Regards

Dead space and restriction: straw (to drink through) vs. garden hose (to water your plants with) vs. 3 inch piping (to drain your pool with). For any turbo setup, look for tubing length and tube sizing. Tubing length is quite simple- the shorter the better. Tubing size (for any given turbo) create compromises. Larger diameters allow greater overall flow (peak hp) but create more dead space (lag/response). For a specific turbo/engine setup (including piping length), there is a specific diameter that will give you a subjective optimum balance of peak flow(hp) and response. From there, one trades off faster respone for less peak hp (smaller tubing), or just the opposite, more peak hp for slower response (larger tubing). One size does not fit all. As for a smaller diameter aft the IC, this probably has to do with the pressure drop across the IC itself. 1/4" smaller tubing is really just using the next smaller sized tubing that is universally available. As for the 28 inch cutoff, not sure but may have something to do with the wavelength of air as a fluid.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:

What a lot people don't understand Raffi... Is making FI of this magnitude is all in theory... turbo theory is a complex equation. In the situation you mentioned... it could be the turbo size, whether it's ball bearing on not, or where the piping had to travel through....

An example of this would be if you used a garrett t3/t4 turbo (which is a small non bearing turbo) yes... it could increase velocity. If you were using a Garrett GT40r... you probaly would decrease the performance because velocity is the variable in the eqation for the speed of air and the GT40r would be limited on the volume it can produce... which is that turbo's speciality

aka - that theory he had would be changed by changing any of the above.... so yes and no on the smoke....

On our set up.... nothing changed but a big ATA innercooler which increases the total volume of air for the charge... so even though we are not cooling the air... we are using the same turbo so the effeciency of the design is not changed. I hope that helped....

Regards

Response and efficiency are two seperate issues. Removal of the IC decreases the dead spacing thereby given you better response (and the opportunity to design an easier and shorter route which you deferred from in order to keep your system modular with a consistent theme). As for efficiency, the IC should improve the efficiency of your setup overall-for any given turbo- assuming that the pressure drop across the IC is small and the airflow to the IC allows for sufficient heat transfer away from the IC.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:

Thanks for this... it helps to support the idea of turbo theory... changing one aspect to increase a variable... can lead to effecting another variable...

May I ask what turbo? WTA? ATA? and boost level?

Regards

GT40, WTA and about 13-14 lbs. of boost. Here's my dyno (notice the relationship of the torque 573 vs the HP 552 and the rapidly falling torque due to the smaller diameter):

1031080831.jpg

BTW, Ross is an awesome guy! Had the pleasure of talking to him once and he was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Although I already have a turbo, looking forward to see what this kit can do!

Pic of y-pipe mounted to dc sport headers on Our Flat Black 1991 NSX were added to the first post... here are a few other pics...

The Turbo Flange on the y-pipe is cnc's which also allowed us to tap the mounting holes to illiminate nuts all together.... even the New Tial Wastegate is v-banded for a clean and efficient design...

Regards

Attachments

• P1000394.jpg
    P1000394.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 320
  • P1000395.jpg
    P1000395.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 247
  • P1000396.jpg
    P1000396.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 200

Wow, thanks for the great input.. So basically it depends on turbo size and what you are wanting performance wise.

Wow, thanks for the great input.. So basically it depends on turbo size and what you are wanting performance wise.

Kinda man.... but more like turbo size, ball bearing, inlet, boost level, length of travel for exhaust and charge, compression of motor, wta/ata ect....ect...ect

Meaning what works for one motor or car wont always work on another

Regards

Your large ATA IC will still be limited by the amount of air that can come through the smallest opening/bottleneck in your setup, which again is the mouth of the snorkel. In your list of things to do, try doing a dyno run with the hatch closed and the fan blowing into the snorkel opening (unsealed) vs. blowing air onto the IC with the hatch opened as in the video. Finally, the heat absorbed by the lines running side by side is miniscule and definitely far far less than the heat soak in the engine bay with the top mounted aluminum ATA IC.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

Just an FYI to your comment... the next post will have our dyno numbers from friday with the stage 3 set up... we ran the entire dyno tune with the hatch closed per your comments.

Thanks for the input... it helps us to not make the mistakes that we didnt catch ourselves. I knew the numbers were going to be good... but I was very impressed after we opened the hatch after the last pull with a hot motor and warm engine bay... yet I was still able to touch the post-ATA charge pipe with almost zero noticeable heat above ambient...

You have a very impressive NSX with more than impressive numbers... I would love to see it in person and possibly intertain adding an ATA set-up to yours if your interested.

Regards

Attachments

• P1000412.JPG
    P1000412.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back