• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stubborn crankshaft pulley bolt

Wouldn't do it. I don't know what the torque on the starter motor is, but I'm sure it's way over 200 ft. lbs. I'd be afraid the socket would jack/twist somehow on the nut and get stuck. Looks easy though :rolleyes:.

i bought the pulley holder a few months ago, and used a breaker bar, easy as pie... i didn't even need to put any strength into it

very common way to remove bolt by expierenced mechanics , have I done it before-- yes but I know what to expect . Just get a good 3/4 impact and wing it out . The problem with the Honda crank bolt is that alot of impact torque is absorbed by the crank . I have a 3/4 gun that will remove any crank bolt. some of the newer 1/2 guns are capable

Last edited:
if he had a gun, he wouldn't be making this post.

Using this method is not without risk, especially when you put extensions on the socket.

The weight of the long breaker bar and the extension can cause the socket to tilt at an angle. It helps to use a jack stand to help support and to assure that the socket is seated straight and secure.

Make sure keep everyone from standing near that area because it can be very dangerous. I've seen a socket come shooting out, almost hitting someone standing nearby.

very common way to remove bolt by expierenced mechanics , have I done it before-- yes but I know what to expect . Just get a good 3/4 impact and wing it out . The problem with the Honda crank bolt is that alot of impact torque is absorbed by the crank . I have a 3/4 gun that will remove any crank bolt. some of the newer 1/2 guns are capable

;).

i bought the pulley holder a few months ago, and used a breaker bar, easy as pie... i didn't even need to put any strength into it

You hit lotto that day , these bolts dont come out easy as pie , somebody was in there before you and did not torque it properly . Read Larry Bs reply ,it says it all

What about the crankshaft and it's bearings?[/QUOTE

The manual on my 97 clearly states do not use an impact to install ,for removal they do not specify (another words a impact is ok ) . You will not damage the crank or bearings

Yes, I know that in impact is ok to remove the bolt. My worry is about using the starter to remove it as all the torque goes along the crankshaft and it's bearings.

OK look i not a big fan of doing it this way , but in 40 yrs of working as a mechanic /tech/instructor i have never seen a crank or bearing problem ,I hope this answers your question

Last edited:
Back