• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust dyno result

nsxsupra,

I would like to check out your Taitec GT with and without the silencer installed in the next OC meet. May be I can live with it with the silencer on and remove the silencer occasionally to annoy my neighbors.

Last edited:
I don't know of this "droning" dribble you guys are talking about. I've had mine for years and the only droning I get is if I launch an air biscuit in the padded Recaro.

Taitec GT Lightweight. :thumbsup:

Shawn, who conveniently failed to mention that the addition of Dali straight pipes may have significantly influenced this much maligned "droning" and that if your car is droning it's just b/c it's not loud enough.

I have the Center Exits and a friend has the Lightweight. We both have two very different sounding cars. The Lightweight with headers and straight pipes has a high pitch roar in VTEC. From 2K-5K sounds mean for the street, at WOT its an animal!

I don't want to plug that I have these in stock in this thread, so I won't :wink:

Taj said:
nsxsupra,

I would like to check out you Taitec GT with and without the silencer installed in the next OC meet. May be I can live with it with the silencer on and remove the silencer occasionally to annoy my neighbors.

Sure thing, I will be there:smile:
There will be other NSXs with same exhaust at the meet as well.

Re: No disrespect, but...

NetViper said:
Well, there is no question on my butt dyno. :biggrin: The GT does pull harder than stock, but I noticed it pulling harder probably 6K+. I noticed the anytime pulling harder from 4K and harder than the GT. I was impressed with the GT, but the anytime was to me a better fit. And those that say it felt faster because it was louder, that is not the case at all because the anytime is not as loud as the GT. Anyway, the reality is it was probably only 2-3 rwhp, but to me, the anytime is a better product and does NOT drone in the cabin.

I have had a few different exhausts on my 92 NSX with Comptech headers and right now I just put on the original Anytime Borla exhaust system which I picked up used on NSX Prime. This exhaust is the quietest exhaust I have ever heard when you drive normally and there is definitely NO DRONING at all in the cabin. When you get on it, it has this distinct throaty kind of sound that is very unique.

My 1st exhaust which came on the car when I bought it was a Comptech exhaust which is moderately loud and had a little droning which I could tolerate. The 2nd exhaust was the RSR which was a little quieter than the Comptech but I could feel there was more back pressure or something as my car didn't feel quite as responsive compared to the Comptech. Finally when I switched to the Anytime, the sound level is almost like stock when you drive normally and the response is as good if not better than the Comptech. Haven't tried the Taitec but for those who do not want any droning inside the cabin, try and find yourself the Anytime exhaust but make sure it is not the race exhaust.

270rwhp with no headers?

My gosh.. I got just over 278whp with Stage II cams, headers, AIS, and Taitec exhaust.

:(

nsxsupra said:
Picked up the car at Autowave this morning, yet great service once again, dropping off the car at Autowave is getting addictive. Top notch people.

Dyno result of before/after Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust, with/without silencers.

Specs of the car:

92 5spd, 26k miles, Royal Purple 10w/30, Cantrell AIS with foam air filter. new fuel filter, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Toyo T1-S rear tires.

11309Jason-nsx-dyno1.jpg

Quick review of the Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust:

Sound:
It sounded amazing at idle and when you get on throttle, very deep and rich sound, no more sewing maching sound, can't hear injectors anymore, just as quiet as stock during cruising speed, not too loud at all. No need for silencer.

Performance:
This far exceeded my expectation. There is absolutely no loss of low end torqure at all, which was my #1 concern. Took a brief drive, my jaw dropped completely, the car simply felt much more explosive mid~top range. Not just noticeable, very noticeable.

Quality:
The built quality is top notch, very lightweight, the stock exhaust with heat shield definitely felt so much more heavier, at least 3 times as much. Can't go wrong with Taitec products.

Overall:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Has anyone done a Dyno with BB RM exhaust with similar setup. I love the rich sound it produces with no droning?

JChoice said:
270rwhp with no headers?

My gosh.. I got just over 278whp with Stage II cams, headers, AIS, and Taitec exhaust.
:(
278rwhp is incredible anyway you look at it.

We both had the dyno performed at same place, same dynometer, however
there are variable that could affect the rwhp even on same dynometer. Weight of the car, weather condition, mileage of the car, weight of wheel/tire combo, recently tune up/maintenance, type of motor oil used, etc. I also used the uni foam filter to go with Cantrell AIS. These variables proably could easily account for 10~rwhp difference. I would imagine if all these factors play favor on your side, 285~290rwhp for your Nsx is very well possible.

I use Royal Purple motor oil, maybe it did help free up a few rwhp. I have had good experience with Royal Purple on several different cars. Slightly quicker spool for turbo cars. $30 for 5qt almost same cost as Mobil 1. It is worth the investment.

Bobolinski said:
Has anyone done a Dyno with BB RM exhaust with similar setup. I love the rich sound it produces with no droning?
There are not many dyno results on pre-97 nsxs with just exhaust no header. I asked similar questions in the past:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43951&highlight=exhaust+stock+header+gains

Only other dyno results I have seen with stock header and just exhaust are Flowmaster and Dali Racing exhaust, both also showed good gains.

Last edited:
nsxsupra said:
Finally did some extensive driving last night, Indeed there are cabin droning just as NetViper described :(

I much would prefer no cabin droning at all, especially for NSX, but it is borderline acceptable for me, the improved sound overall still outweights the negative for me, the sound level difference is very dramatic when you are on or off gas.

Since you mentioned you have the silencers, I'm curious how much it helps in cutting down the noise or droning... It's all subjective, but I would like to know your perception of what the droning is like relative to with and without silencers.

Thanks!

--
George

geometro said:
Since you mentioned you have the silencers, I'm curious how much it helps in cutting down the noise or droning... It's all subjective, but I would like to know your perception of what the droning is like relative to with and without silencers.

Thanks!

--
George
George,

Here is a review of the silencer from another member:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29863&highlight=silencer+installed

I do have the silencers, but they are not installed, no holes were drilled, basicly Autowave felt the exhaust was fairly quiet, and recommended not have silencers installed. I am glad I took their recommendations. I have heard B&B, Taitec JGTC at their shop, both are louder than GT lightweight.

I did insist on having the car dynoed with silencer, Mark at Autowave did not want to drill the beautiful tips so he came up with a great idea by temporarily securing the silencer with a pair of clamps.

Frankly I do not recommend silencers, it is a nice option to have, some people even think it is not loud enough, I can see why after been driving it for a week, the droning is way overrated, there are many prime members with GT lightweight exhaust, out of all of them, only 1 or 2 people had problem with it droning issue.

nsxsupra said:
the droning is way overrated, there are many prime members with GT lightweight exhaust, out of all of them, only 1 or 2 people had problem with it droning issue.

I seriously doubt that. Myself and another guy in savannah both got rid of the exhaust because of droning. There are many more than just us.

If your car is not a daily driver, it might not bother you.

NetViper said:
I seriously doubt that. Myself and another guy in savannah both got rid of the exhaust because of droning. There are many more than just us.

Actually in the last two years of selling the GT lightweight (our #1 selling exhaust) I have had 2 people switch it out for sound reasons, NetViper being one of them.
I try to give good warning to any customers who I feel might be looking for something a little more conservative, a lot of people after learning more about the exhaust and its sound can make a better decision of whether or not the GTLW would be appropriate for them. Honestly the best way is always to check out an exhaust in person, but a lot of the time this is not available, so we use sounds clips/etc. The GTLW is not for everyone, but if you are looking for the best all around exhaust with a bit more of an aggressive exotic tone, superior weight savings, top notch quality, and great fit and look it's my #1 recommendation...

Good feedback guys, I am always happy to hear praise for the GTLW...A truly awesome exhaust!

I can tell you that the silencers cut the volume in half(subjective),and if you drill the holes on the undersurface its not too bad visualy.I can also report that at the track with cat bypass pipes the sound is glorious,lots of higher end tones past vtec.

I just installed my GT-Lightweight center exit and I love it. I was driving the car with just headers and no exhaust and no sound deadening material for six months. And my car is a daily driver! Now that is what you call a drone! I think that the exhaust might do this only because they use a thinner steel to keep the weight down, which IMO is a very good trade off for the weight savings.

David G.

Seth@SoS said:
The GTLW is not for everyone, but if you are looking for the best all around exhaust with a bit more of an aggressive exotic tone, superior weight savings, top notch quality, and great fit and look it's my #1 recommendation...

I couldn't be happier with mine Seth. It ranks up there with the best purchases I have ever made in my life. My GTLW has been on my car about a year now. My NSX is my daily driver/office/passion and I average over 3000 miles per month. I acquired her in November of 03 with 70K miles on the clock and she just surpassed 129K. The exhaust note is incredible and the volume level is perfect. I can listen to the stereo unmolested with the windows rolled up but still listen to a beautiful symphony of power from the car whenever I want to.

I have one question though. If I decide to give the car the Factor X treatment, would this exhaust be compatible with a motor producing in excess of 400 HP?

Seth@SoS said:
Actually in the last two years of selling the GT lightweight (our #1 selling exhaust) I have had 2 people switch it out for sound reasons, NetViper being one of them.
I try to give good warning to any customers who I feel might be looking for something a little more conservative, a lot of people after learning more about the exhaust and its sound can make a better decision of whether or not the GTLW would be appropriate for them.

Hey Seth,

I guess you could say I sold mine for sound reasons, but they were not that it was too loud, or too agressive. Simply the done and nothing else. If he exhaust did not drone, I would have kept it. I thought maybe it was just something wrong with mine until my friend got one and his wife refused to ride in the car because of the droning. Both of us use the car as a DD.

On a track, the exhaust would be stellar.

Again, maybe I am just more sensitive to the dronning than others.

I'm running the Cantral AIS, Taitec Lightweight, Comptech Headers and no cats (sorry ozone!). I track my car regularly. Nearly everytime I've been on the track someone compliments my cars sound. I've even been told that my car was the best sounding car at the track event. It's loud, but definately worth it.
Ryan

When I got mine I first thought, "man, this is a bit too loud". I got used to it after a week or so. This is by far, one of the best purchases I made for the NSX. I am constantly redlining the car just to hear the exhaust.

In VTEC, it sounds like a second exhaust sound comes on and it has this great exotic and powerful sound sound. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

NetViper said:

what droning r u talking about?? :rolleyes: i dont hear any...
the only loudest the JGTC gets is around 3k-4k rpm anything over seems to quiet down, :cool:

JChoice said:
When I got mine I first thought, "man, this is a bit too loud". I got used to it after a week or so. This is by far, one of the best purchases I made for the NSX. I am constantly redlining the car just to hear the exhaust.

In VTEC, it sounds like a second exhaust sound comes on and it has this great exotic and powerful sound sound. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

I know exactly what u feel :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
mine seems fine and LOVE the JGTC!!! :biggrin:
I highly recomend the JGTC.

amgnsx said:
what droning r u talking about?? :rolleyes: i dont hear any...
the only loudest the JGTC gets is around 3k-4k rpm anything over seems to quiet down, :cool:

I know exactly what u feel :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
mine seems fine and LOVE the JGTC!!! :biggrin:
I highly recomend the JGTC.

You are not talking about the Taitec GT Lightweight. Which is what this topic is about.

robfenn said:
Am i missing something, i thought standard NSXs were 276bhp (and under rated)?
The figures quoted are for rear wheel horse power, the 270 hp are measured at the crankshaft. 10-12% loss from drivetrain is the typical accepted difference.

I just installed my GT Lightweight a couple of days ago.
I thought it was a little quiet but I think after driving it for a day it was better sounding, maybe I was just getting use to it, and much better than the stock, by far.. Just in case anybody was wondering, the old exhaust on my 02 was over 50 pounds. That included the rubber mounts. The Lightweight was 19.5 pounds, without the adapters.
I will post pics on the pic page with some insulation added above the heat shield. Hopefully that will help the trunk not getting as hot.

BH

I think the more accurate number is 306.9hp at the flywheel.

270.1rwhp/.88 = 306.9. 306bhp is quite an improvement!

Back