• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Talk me out of a Mini Cooper S

I had a 2005 Mini Cooper S for about 4 months. Really cool little car...I even won a local Rallye with it.

I dropped it for the S4 for a couple of reasons....one, it's really small...pretty harsh ride and just "thin" feeling all around. Two, we just had a baby and it was pretty hard to get to the back seat. Three: FWD...gets annoying after awhile.

Otherwise the car was pretty fun...gets a lot of looks...and you feel good driving it. The gas mileage was as amazing as I thought it would be, but I dropped a smaller pulley on the SC and liked to hear it whine.
The new turbo's a probably totally different. The new car is supposed to be more user friendly as well.

They hold their resale very well, I didn't lose hardly any money when I traded it in.

Yeah my gay neighbor's boyfriend has one too. You know, I'm sure they are good cars... but personally I have always found them to be a little odd. Everything is like "oh ok I get it" but then moments later you kind of go "but hmmm".

For example, the BMW-esque interior is what you would expect... but then like what's with the gauge placement? It's like the senior engineers left on vacation and the intern designer Kim Kong just took the project right over. When I first sat in one I was like... is that a sun dial in the middle of the dash? Oh hmm. So then is this so my passenger can tell me how slow I am going? Maybe they put it there because for 23 grand it's just best that I don't know... :confused:

Speaking of performance, I've never been in the base coupe. But I had a opportunity to take in a few laps in an S this year. I kind of felt bad. It handled very well, but most of the day I was on the student like "ok WOT" "WOT" ... then we swapped seats and I finally drove it.

About half way down the front straight I was like "Oh..." "Oh..." "I see..." "Huh." "So... this is the Supercharged version... " "That's nice." Brain fart: The Pontiac G6 coupe I rented at the airport felt like a rocket ship compared to this thing. As you would expect, handling was the redeeming value, but In the back of your mind, you know it's not translating as you would come to expect. I don't think it even develops any downforce, which is good because then it would be drag limited at 39mph. :confused: :eek:

All in all, for 23 grand, I just don't see where this thing is supposed to fit. It's not really fast/fun. It's not terribly practical. You can't tow or carry much of anything in it. You only put people you don't like in the back seat. Yeah it can get 30mpg but so do most cars. I guess you could say the mini has it's place. I'm sure mini-mouse think's it's cute....

Based on your asks, I'd suggest an STI with a few little tweaks. You can put a roof rack on it, have more cargo space, clearance... and it develops enough torque by 4K RPM to get your blood boiling.

Anyways, hope that helps the cause.

Last edited:
You could cut the top off and get out with some of your friends.. for some orange mocha frapachinos!!

This car really should have been a choptop mini.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUqrVvr6iBo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUqrVvr6iBo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Zoolander FTW!

And oh did I mention my EX had one!!! I thought the interior was cheap and it felt way too cramped.. don't know about the newer versions.

Last edited:
Matt_337

Go get a 07 or 08 VW GTI and love it! I had one for a year before I sold it and got my S2000. It was a fantastic car and definately ranks as being one of my all time favorites. Good performance, luxury interior, and good value in terms of gas mileage. Your bike will fit inside nicely...

You can put a bike rack on anything...take a look at the Bike Rack Thread here on Prime and you'll see the photo of my S2000 with its bike rack...

Mini's are okay and I don't know about where you live but here in Dubai only ladies or young kids drive them.:frown:

I too was considering an '08 Mini Cooper S with the JCW suspension and body kit package but not the engine package (I wanted to maximize MPG). The car spec'd out at just under $40K.....yeah, $40K for a Mini Cooper. I finally got over it and decided to just wait for the Generation III Prius due out in late 2009. But, good luck with your Mini, very fun car to drive.

This should work,

My sister owns a MiniS. My sister.

At least it's a JC Works car. But really, my sister...

Funny you should mention that. My sister, who is also somewhat car savy, is in the market for a 2002+ 996TT. Yes, my sister, no, my little 24 year old sister.

Not only that, she wants to add an aftermarket wing(GT2 style), and then drop it with some 19 inch Techart wheels. Really, my sister... :biggrin:

That could quite possibly qualify your sister as the coolest female alive!

I'm with ski_banker on this one. I love and hate Mini's all at once.
Of course, if you're going to get a Mini, why not get an old one that's had an engine transplant from something like a Turbo'd Hayabusa. 340hp in a Mini would make for one mean little car.

Friend of mine just bought an 08 MC-S Convertible. Car looks really neat, has pretty good handling, but that's about it. Power is very low even though he has the S version, doors feel very thin, aftermarket parts are extremely high (almost in the same price range as the NSX), gas mileage is not bad from what he tells me.

Seems to me that unless you pay 40K+ for a fully loaded one that it feels like it's always missing something. They do on the other hand have great resale value due to the niche following.

but then like what's with the gauge placement? It's like the senior engineers left on vacation and the intern designer Kim Kong just took the project right over. When I first sat in one I was like... is that a sun dial in the middle of the dash? Oh hmm. So then is this so my passenger can tell me how slow I am going? Maybe they put it there because for 23 grand it's just best that I don't know... :confused:
It's a nod to the original Mini dashboard.

Attachments

• 800px-Mini_Interior_001.jpg
    800px-Mini_Interior_001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 51
I think they're very fun little cars but IMHO, they do not make very good freeway commuters. The ride is just too rough and the run flats only make things worse.

Have you given any thought to the Mazdaspeed 3? It certainly isn't as flashy but it goes like snot, has four doors and cargo space and will get good mileage if you're just commuting.

Funny you should mention that. My sister, who is also somewhat car savy, is in the market for a 2002+ 996TT. Yes, my sister, no, my little 24 year old sister.

Not only that, she wants to add an aftermarket wing(GT2 style), and then drop it with some 19 inch Techart wheels. Really, my sister... :biggrin:
Damn Z, your sisters cooler than you!:biggrin:

They're kinda like mopeds and fat chicks...they're both fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you:biggrin:

seriously, I thought about those while searching for a gas friendly DD, but for the same price I ended up getting a much nicer car(IS 250)...:smile:

Just re-visiting this topic.

So, I spoke with my dealer and they said that the slot that I had for an August build for the JCW Cooper was in code 012 (which meant it would go into production any day and I could not change a thing with my order). I did not like feeling pressured to finalize my order so I canceled it rather than to d!ck over the dealership later with a car that I spec'd out and may back out of.

So I guess you guys did your job....I just couldn't see myself driving this car although I really wanted to.

I've changed my prerequisite for the replacement DD. It must have the following (which the cooper had :frown:)

bluetooth
xenon (factory...hate the way aftermarket looks) since i have bad night vision
sirius
not a total bore to drive
decent mpg
and can put a bike rack on it without me cringing

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into some of those cars but at the top of my list now is an 08 wrx sti. The mpg isn't that much better on it so the test drive this weekend better do more than wow me.

Well

The test drive on the Sti didn't go so well for me. The car just didn't do anything for me.

I did get the price of invoice for a white S2000 CR. I know that doesn't fit the bill but I still have a soft spot for an S2000. Although the thought of having to drive that daily isn't really appealing to me....

I'll report back after test driving an Evo MR, VW Gti, and revisiting the Cooper.

Matt - do like I did get the S2000 and put a hitch on it for the bike carrier.

Simple and very discreet as no one will know its on there. Cool thing about the hitch too is that it removes very easily with cotter pins. Send me a PM if you have any questions...

S2000Hitch003.jpg

S2000Hitch001.jpg

Back