• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Team Hudak Racing 2009 Race Season Begins- Official Groupie Thread

2009 is off to a good start up here in podunk region!

I dusted my NSX off, then took it out to earn a 1st in class this weekend in ITE at Portland- my first in-class win of the new racing season. Despite the fact that I re-wired it, my car ran like a champ sans some minor software .NET programming issues..... IndexOutOfBoundsException Hmm. Someone can't do Arrays. Anyone got Visual Studio 2008? Or better that Asian engineer from Cannonball run to ride shot gun? :biggrin:

I actually just used practice and qualifying for some tune time, then went on to take 1st in the sprint race and 1st in the main race on Sunday.

My commentary is that the grid for my class felt a little light (amazingly no other widebody NSXes... maybe the economy?) so it felt more like a casual open lapping day than a race to me, but hey- at least many of the usual suspects showed up to play. Everyone got to drive without significant incident, and had a great time, at what was just a beautiful sunny weekend at PIR.

Some new faces too. I battled it out with a new driver in a Subaru STI tuner race car with a very powerful Cosworth built engine. Nice guy, and he kept me honest out there. They accidentally gridded him in front of me, so I had to earn my way by again. I reeled him, took a pass, then I took a conservative lead as he tailed me for the next 12-14 laps off my rear bumper before his brakes gave out, and it was on to the checkered and victory lap for Team Hudak Racing.

Video from my chase-cam below. Unfortunately they isn't much to see (I know I was looking at the pretty birds and sky mostly) as I guess all the action was occuring behind me. :wink:

Video From Main Race on Sunday:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5077253479949001774

Next race is in 3 weeks!! Just can't wait to get back out and enjoy some of that nice weather again!

Or better that Asian engineer from Cannonball run to ride shot gun? :biggrin:

lol

That video looks a lot better than the test one I made last week with the giant rearview mirror blocking the view for the camera.

What was the software that crashed doing?

lol
That video looks a lot better than the test one I made last week with the giant rearview mirror blocking the view for the camera.

Pretty much. LOL. The video actually looks ok at full resolution with a gigabyte file, google's codec compression settings for streaming just blow.

Some of the 944 cup guys were using a little $200 HD recorder and had some pretty good results off that as well, the word is they just aren't sure if it's going to hold up or not, and I honestly don't know that it still will look all that much better as when MPEG is compressed that heavily it is going to look pretty shoddy.

What was the software that crashed doing?

I got a sponsorship package on a new multi-channel data logger and it runs on Windows CE with some beta software at the moment so, yeah....

Nothing like going down the back straight and getting an application fault/ blue screen of death. Like uh oh... I really hope this isn't some type of omen??? LOL!! :biggrin:

I got a sponsorship package on a new multi-channel data logger and it runs on Windows CE with some beta software at the moment so, yeah....

Nothing like going down the back straight and getting an application fault/ blue screen of death. Like uh oh... I really hope this isn't some type of omen??? LOL!! :biggrin:

Well at least it wasn't controlling anything that would impact your ability to drive. :tongue:

My camera system has nothing to do with racing of course but this seems to be the only place where people talk about in-car cameras. :cool:
I was using a Canon HV20 HDV camera with wide angle adapter attached to a suction mount and it was a little bouncy due to the heavy lens on the front. I still need to play with it some more, like turning off the image stabilizer. It is way too big and probably dangerous to use when racing, but the image quality is crazy.

WAY TO GO JOHN......

Looks like that garage sale (literally) did you some good. Send me a pm and lets chat about the upgrades you needed....

Regards

Looks like that garage sale (literally) did you some good. Send me a pm and lets chat about the upgrades you needed....
Regards

Oh right. Thanks Ross. It's refreshing to me to now finally having some trackside support in the Tempe, AZ area for the NSX. I'll stop in on my next pass through and we'll talk more about the STMPO Stage 2 with the Pectel system. :wink:

It's funny you bring up more mods.. because I've been meaning to call some of the popular NSX vendors, because I just can't wait to pimp-out my new tow rig. I thought that perhaps a few of them could bring their vast technical expertise to bear. I know I am having a really hard time deciding between the rear bumper with the flush corvette tail-lights and a new rear wing at the moment for my truck. :biggrin:

I dusted my NSX off, then took it out to earn a 1st in class this weekend in ITE at Portland- my first in-class win of the new racing season. Despite the fact that I re-wired it, my car ran like a champ sans some minor software .NET programming issues..... IndexOutOfBoundsException Hmm.

maybe you should try a LAMP stack :)

congrats on the class win! i got my first taste of racing a few weeks ago in the 24 hours of lemons and it sure tasted good. maybe someday i'll be battling you wheel to wheel.

that little dash thingie in front of your steering wheel, is that supposed to be shift light? maybe you need to wire that so you not hitting the rev limiter that often?? :wink:

Your car had way more mods than mine, but I noticed that running the engine towards the rev limiter doesn't warrant a faster speed, in fact, do you lost some momentum when the engine cutting out?? i know i know, maybe you were way busy blocking the Sti behind you. Seems like that car had more grip coming out of the corner than your car.

any reason you take off the rear view mirror? maybe you should wire a back up camera aka GT500 style. (Then you can stream the fun behind your back for us to watch too)

Congratulations on the win!
congrats on the class win!

Thanks everyone, Really.

Yeah. It doesn't matter if you have 10 pounds or 1000 pounds of downforce. 135hp or 850hp. A spec Miata or a GT1 Corvette. When it comes to that hot ITE race action- it's like Van Diesel says- Winning is winning. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

maybe you should try a LAMP stack :)

congrats on the class win! i got my first taste of racing a few weeks ago in the 24 hours of lemons and it sure tasted good. maybe someday i'll be battling you wheel to wheel.

Haha. I'd like to get out for some Enduro's this year. Lemons looks awesome!! One of my friends is preparing a car now.

that little dash thingie in front of your steering wheel, is that supposed to be shift light? maybe you need to wire that so you not hitting the rev limiter that often?? :wink:

Your car had way more mods than mine, but I noticed that running the engine towards the rev limiter doesn't warrant a faster speed, in fact, do you lost some momentum when the engine cutting out?? i know i know, maybe you were way busy blocking the Sti behind you. Seems like that car had more grip coming out of the corner than your car.

any reason you take off the rear view mirror? maybe you should wire a back up camera aka GT500 style. (Then you can stream the fun behind your back for us to watch too)

You are correct Ferrand. I have been playing with the software to get the tach pulses intepreted properly on Digital In 1 and get the shift lights set-up correctly but just ran out of time.

I just need more time to dork around with the new toys and the laptop at a DE day. I have a test & tune day coming up shortly, I'll play with it as well as the camera positions some more.

Unfortunately the team was down to 1 man this weekend, as everyone else went to the new track in Grass valley, so it was a little difficult to do it all by myself on a busy race weekend. :smile:

John... use Vimeo.com for the video. Free account and 500mb file upload per file. Resolution is much better, and can do HD.

J

Well done John...Congats !

Congrats on the win John! Your car is amazing and you are pretty good too!

Dumb question: I noticed that your steering wheel has a bit of play in it. This is specially noticable in the Rt. hander followed by the quick Left hander(sorry I don't know the #'s). Is that b/c your steering has some play in it or are you "pinching" it?

Well done John...Congats !
Congrats on the win John! Your car is amazing and you are pretty good too!

Thanks Guys!

Dumb question: I noticed that your steering wheel has a bit of play in it. This is specially noticable in the Rt. hander followed by the quick Left hander(sorry I don't know the #'s). Is that b/c your steering has some play in it or are you "pinching" it?

Brian said he noticed the same thing to me back at the shop. Their was certainly a little steering slop in the rack that weekend. Unfortunately, aside from fluids their was no time to prep the car prior to the event as no one was around; so I just drove it as-is. New alignment, rotors, tires, etc... all to be done here shortly.

Since when is "Team Hudak" its own standalone?
Last I checked Driver Hudak was one of Team Adrenaline Racing's junior drivers...

:) :)

Congratualtions on the win! Chalk up another one for Team Adre..err Hudak!

John! Congrats! Don't know how I missed this thread but I offer my belated congrats in any event.

Maybe I was expecting a much longer post. ;)

Since when is "Team Hudak" its own standalone?
Last I checked Driver Hudak was one of Team Adrenaline Racing's junior drivers...

:) :)

Congratualtions on the win! Chalk up another one for Team Adre..err Hudak!

John! Congrats! Don't know how I missed this thread but I offer my belated congrats in any event.

Maybe I was expecting a much longer post. ;)

Oh wow you guys are right! I better start working on my PR skills!

Holy crap- what am I going to do when I am on speed channel and they stuff a microphone in my face and I try to stuff my normal 78 page John speech into 3 seconds of air time??? :eek:

I need to at least get my team and sponsor names right if I am going to be the next Randy Pobst!!! :biggrin:

John why does your camera "blackout" for a second every time a car passes you:tongue: BTW I love your car:redface:

Great job John. I hope to see you around Rose Cup time. Cheers, Shad

Sweet. If you guys are still planning on coming up and driving that will be awesome.

John why does your camera "blackout" for a second every time a car passes you:tongue: BTW I love your car:redface:

That is a question for chasecam. For some reason my SD card ended up with 11 different files instead of 1 contingueous one. As I have the V4 unit without the lateral G sensor, they got back to me and think it might have something to do with the LANC remote I was given or new software setup so I am trying to figure out the drop-out issue right now.

Congrats on the win!

Gotta few tips for you :p

1) That was the worst start I've ever seen :p Pace the guy next to you (or infront, depending on the staging position) and when you see the lead guys go (if you're not on a radio), floor it! Looks like you were near mid pack... the pole sitter probably saw the green already as you were still going under the bridge. You can pick up several spots easily before crossing start/finish! :) A lot drivers aren't on a radio to spot the green, so take advantage of it.

2) Not sure what you're doing in the 10-11-12 complex, but try to get all the downshifting done during braking into 10. I haven't driven PR in an NSX (gearing wise), so I'm not 100% certain, but you should be able to get down another gear, instead of doing it between 11-12. Also stab the throttle between 11-12 before braking into 12, you'll pick up a 0.10sec.

:D

Congrats on the win!

Gotta few tips for you :p

1) That was the worst start I've ever seen :p Pace the guy next to you (or infront, depending on the staging position) and when you see the lead guys go (if you're not on a radio), floor it! Looks like you were near mid pack... the pole sitter probably saw the green already as you were still going under the bridge. You can pick up several spots easily before crossing start/finish! :) A lot drivers aren't on a radio to spot the green, so take advantage of it.

I didn't expect them to waive us off. Val was edging me on to my left which confused me because he is always asking me to be less aggressive at warm-up, and frankly I was still dumb founded as to the starting positions. I didn't have a spotter either.

We seemed to have a slightly better start during the sprint race.

2) Not sure what you're doing in the 10-11-12 complex, but try to get all the downshifting done during braking into 10. I haven't driven PR in an NSX (gearing wise), so I'm not 100% certain, but you should be able to get down another gear, instead of doing it between 11-12. Also stab the throttle between 11-12 before braking into 12, you'll pick up a 0.10sec.

:D

I'm trying to chip away at it.

The AR Senior driver over here has me in 4th through that sequence as 3rd mechanically limits my entry speed - he is simply trying to get me to keep my foot on the throttle just a wee bit more often; pretty much everywhere. I agree thou. Typically I am back on full throttle at the apex of 11 and it is all I can do to find the time to shift back into 3rd before the entry to 12, but I didn't have the confidence to do WOT on that day on my setup, which consisted primarily of worn tires from the previous season and no ABS. I will be the first to admit that holding 108mph through there can be a little scary when the car is pointed at a tire wall to begin with.

"It will hold"
"Just drive faster, you get more downforce"

[[shakes head]] excuses, excuses gatta' keep pushing my limits and driving faster. :cool: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Looks like a few pictures from the event are up.

ORSCCA_4_09_1262.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1266.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1270.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1291.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1303.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1335.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1337.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1338.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1339.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1340.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1341.jpg

ORSCCA_4_09_1353.jpg