• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The backwards build - a new chapter in life for a former widebody

After months of checking every website you can think of several times a day, a dozen carfax reports, over a thousand emails in total (yes, I counted), hundreds of text messages and hundreds of minutes on the phone and/or Skype VoIP, tickets booked and then cancelled resulting in an credit with Southwest Airlines that I have to use by next June (thanks for being patient and understanding @spider2k ), I finally own an NSX.

This is @GT Theory 's former widebody car. I bought it minus the widebody, BBK, wheels, exhaust, & seats, and intend to return it to stock/OEM status, with only a few minor deviations here and there for some tasteful and reversible modifications.

This is how it looked when Brandon and I first started talking:

1991, Clean title, clean history, 53K miles (@ 48K a new RPS Clutch, TB/WP Service with all the seals etc was done)

After we came to an agreement, and the overpriced PPI that turned out to not really be a real PPI and a giant waste of $300 bucks came back positive, (seriously, how can they charge $300 for a PPI at an Acura dealership with NSX certified techs, and NOT tell me the trunk struts were shot, the CCU was dead, etc?!?) the process of stripping it down began for Brandon, and the process of finding parts began for me.

Being in Minnesota, which is obviously not the NSX capital of the world, I wasnt finding any parts locally. However, the car was in SoCal, and a very nice guy (that goes by the name of @MexiRicer here as well as facebook) had a rear quarter for sale also in SoCal. He offered to deliver the quarter to the car so it could be bolted on before the transport company picked it up to save on the headache and cost of shipping something like this across the country. Brandon said he would be more than happy to bolt the panel on, and said the more parts I could find to have slapped on the better. FYI: when searching for parts on FB and messaging people, I found that the limit of simultaneous messages you can display on screen is 5. I also found that this is larger than the number of simultaneous discussions I can keep track of in my brain.

With the help of Mexi, I managed to find another rear quarter from @flexthatdx not too far from his house. I also locked in a pair of seats from @jojodelkokomo24 in the same region. For a little extra gas money, Mexi borrowed a truck from someone, loaded up his quarter, picked up the other quarter, and went out of his way to also pick up the seats and deliver them to Brandon. What a great guy!

Brandon got the car stripped down, installed the parts I found, slapped some wheels on it so it would roll, and saw it off on the transport.

In the mean time I continued to look for parts, including new wheels and tires. Another very nice enthusiast @regular sent me all 4 side markers for free, he wouldnt even accept my offer to at least cover the shipping cost! The new wheels and side markers arrived well before the car. Prompting me to show them to the wife and say "These are NSX parts, the first parts of an NSX i've ever owned! Wanna touch them?" as I stood there petting the markers like they were some priceless artifact. I received the expected roll of the eyes and head-shake from her as she walked away.

Insert NSX in the space provided

We had to meet the transport about a 1/2 mile from my house as I live on a cul-de-sac, and the road leading up to it has some very low handing branches. This particular trailer had the rotary-screw type lifts, which are extra secure, but also extra slow. It took almost 20 minutes for the car to be lowered down and drove off the ramps. This provided the opportunity someone from the neighborhood to stop by with his dog "Frenchie" and ask me which one I was waiting for. When I told him "the Acura NSX up there on the top", he looked at me with a very confused expression on his face for a short time, and I watched the gears turning in his head, right as I was about to explain what an NSX was, assuming he didnt know, a light bulb went off in his head, his expression changed to a smile, and he said "isnt that the one that looks like a camero?" Sure... close enough I suppose.

The car was unloaded, the papers signed, and I was ready to drive it back home.

I am about 5'8". Why am I telling you this? Well, when Brandon slapped all these parts I found on, it was just with the intent to save on shipping. So when he put the seats in he understandably just set them in place and threaded a few bolts in. The wiring for the seats was actually under the carpet (since he had racing seats in there previously) and wasnt connected. This resulted in me not being able to reach the clutch as the seats were stuck in the full back position. I had to grab the steering wheel, pull my arse forward with my chest up against the wheel, and then I could press the clutch. Unfortunately, as soon as I would shift into gear and attempt the slip the clutch out, I would slide back in the seat, the clutch would get dumped, the car would lurch and jump, and then it would smooth out. I must have looked like a teenager trying to drive a manual for the first time, and I swear I could almost hear my wife laughing at me as she followed me home in my truck .

Once I got it home, the unpacking process began. Brandon had managed to fill every nook and cranny with parts. It was like getting a giant christmas present, and getting to unwrap a couple dozen more presents hidden inside. My cheeks hurt, because I had this permanent grin that wouldnt go away. Of course the kids had to come out and see the car that daddy has been obsessing about for as long as they've been alive. A buddy of mine stopped by as well.

After the kids were tucked into bed, my buddy left, and the wife went to sleep it was time to wrench! First thing I did was to get those mismatched wheels off of there and see how those TSW Bathursts look. They look great, but they dont fit the 96 or older rear brakes! krud... time to order some spacers. I also took off the Downforce carbon wing, and put the original in place. Then, I spent the next several hours sipping on a beer or three, walking around staring at the car from different angles. I ended up climbing into the drivers seat with my laptop, searching for more parts. I fell asleep just like that, sitting upright with a laptop in front of me. Waking up at I-dont-even-know-what-time a little disoriented, I forced myself to leave the garage and go to bed.

Since then I've got it up on jackstands and started the process of removing parts to be replaced and/or repaired. Everywhere I look in my garage there are NSX parts scattered around!

The CCU is shot, which is headed out to @Briank as soon as I get some more ink for my printer and print off the shipping label. The passenger side window regular is shot as well, which has been pulled out and a brand new replacement part on the way, the red carpet is going to be cleaned up and sold in order to replace it with the stock black carpet, and the CF spoiler is most likely going to be sold as well to help fund the project. A new @PrideExhaust V2 with dual burnt tips is on the way, as well as a whole slew of brand new OEM parts from AcuraPartsForLess. A set of headlights from @JoseJA1979 , a passenger side fender from @NSX1145 / scw performance, a rear bumper from Powerline, and the coolant hose kit & updated LMAs from @ScienceofSpeed are also enroute.

The only major part I still have yet to find is a drivers side front fender. I'm not accepting or looking for damaged parts, and for whatever reason an undamaged drivers side fender is proving to be difficult to find. I literally found six passenger side fenders, just cant find the drivers side.

The hunt continues....

Last edited:
Congrats and good luck with your build. Sorry dont have any oem parts to send your way.
Cant wait to see the finished product and have you decided on a color.?

Prompting me to show them to the wife and say "These are NSX parts, the first parts of an NSX i've ever owned! Wanna touch them?" as I stood there petting the markers like they were some priceless artifact. I received the expected roll of the eyes and head-shake from her as she walked away.

I had to grab the steering wheel, pull my arse forward with my chest up against the wheel, and then I could press the clutch. Unfortunately, as soon as I would shift into gear and attempt the slip the clutch out, I would slide back in the seat, the clutch would get dumped, the car would lurch and jump, and then it would smooth out. I must have looked like a teenager trying to drive a manual for the first time, and I swear I could almost hear my wife laughing at me as she followed me home in my truck .

I ended up climbing into the drivers seat with my laptop, searching for more parts. I fell asleep just like that, sitting upright with a laptop in front of me. Waking up at I-dont-even-know-what-time a little disoriented, I forced myself to leave the garage and go to bed.

Oh man, subscribed for sure!!! I pictured that in my head exactly as you described, petting your side markers LOL WTF :D

As I had mentioned to you in many messages back and forth, I was more than happy to help a fellow NSX owner and show you what our community is all about! Can't believe how great everything worked out and I was able to scoop up all those parts for you in one trip!! The so cal community is seriously awesome and it worked out even better that I am friends with the guys you got parts off of- made it easier for logistics! :)

I am very glad we ended up sourcing seats before she went in to the trailer. Glad you simply slid back into the seat rather than potentially sliding in to something else trying to clutch without a damn seat! :tongue:

Look forward to your build's progression Tom!!! Welcome to the club :)

Looking great already Tom and I'm sure the car is going to come out unbelievable if the attention to detail on the thread with pictures is any indication. Your passion is shared and I've subscribed so i can see the end product for sure!

Welcome to the community and congratulations on owning your dream car!

Congrats and good luck with your build. Sorry dont have any oem parts to send your way.
Cant wait to see the finished product and have you decided on a color.?

I havent decided yet. I always wanted to see LLBP on a coupe, but having that MCB quarter from Mexi's car on there is kinda pulling me in that direction. Im also toying with going back to Sebring. Its going to take me quite a while before I send her down to @shawn110975 for paint, so I have time to decide. I need some time to recover from the thousands and thousands that are flying out the door collecting all these parts! For now, Im going to wrap it. Which, I still havent decided on what color vinyl either

Oh man, subscribed for sure!!! I pictured that in my head exactly as you described, petting your side markers LOL WTF :D
As I had mentioned to you in many messages back and forth, I was more than happy to help a fellow NSX owner and show you what our community is all about! Can't believe how great everything worked out and I was able to scoop up all those parts for you in one trip!! The so cal community is seriously awesome and it worked out even better that I am friends with the guys you got parts off of- made it easier for logistics! :)
I am very glad we ended up sourcing seats before she went in to the trailer. Glad you simply slid back into the seat rather than potentially sliding in to something else trying to clutch without a damn seat! :tongue:
Look forward to your build's progression Tom!!! Welcome to the club :)

Yeah, thanks for everything man. You really made this whole project a LOT easier! Between you helping to find the parts and picking them all up, Brandon being so willing and helpful with putting the parts on and just being a really great seller, and all the great people down there in SoCal, I think I saved a lot of money and countless hours!

Looking great already Tom and I'm sure the car is going to come out unbelievable if the attention to detail on the thread with pictures is any indication. Your passion is shared and I've subscribed so i can see the end product for sure!
Welcome to the community and congratulations on owning your dream car!

Thanks! And thanks for the seats! The pictures were mostly courtesy of my beautiful and amazing wife. There were at least a hundred more pictures that she took.

Last edited:
Congratulations and nothing but well wishes on your build. I'll be following this one closely. Very supportive wife you have there too.

Congratulations and nothing but well wishes on your build. I'll be following this one closely. Very supportive wife you have there too.

Thanks! Im glad to see yours is doing well. Its funny, cause Gabes car was on my list, but I was just a bit short to buy it. Glad to see it went to a great home. Yes, the wife is amazing.

Looks like there is going to be a delivery truck at my house every single day except sunday for the next several days. This is FedEx only, I also have two coming via UPS and one via USPS!

Here are the vinyl colors I am thinking about going with for my temp wrap until I can get it painted. Either Anthracite or Blue Raspberry. Right now im leaning towards the blue:

Last edited:
This is already starting to become epic.

Props to [MENTION=25247]MexiRicer[/MENTION] for paying it forward.

Best thread I've read in a while! Great job and congrats!

Which shipping company did you use? I shipped a car years back, and my shipping company was adamant that I could not have any cargo in the car, even in the trunk!

Props to @MexiRicer for paying it forward.

I cant give enough props to him, as well as @GT Theory for being so nice and helpful. Actually, just about everyone I tagged in that post deserves props, but those two especially. Also @Big_nate, @Cincinnati Scott, @cparsons, and @SOURCE 1 also deserve a special thanks, but that was for a different car that I ended up not purchasing.

Best thread I've read in a while! Great job and congrats!

Which shipping company did you use? I shipped a car years back, and my shipping company was adamant that I could not have any cargo in the car, even in the trunk!

Thanks. I kinda thought it would end up being a boring read for folks, but I was mostly doing it for my own documentation to look back on years down the road and get a smile. Glad it was enjoyable for someone else as well.

I used Alpine Transport (http://www.alpinetransport.com). Dan over there was amazing during the course of my NSX search. Completely patient with me, pulled out crazy pick-ups out of no-where, and was totally understanding when the car(s) I was toying with didnt work out and everything had to be canceled. All their trucks where booked up, so they ended sub'ing this one out to Jordan & K, Inc. The driver was great, and told me all about how much he liked 'that' car. Here is he doing just that

I believe the words were "dis is da bury neat car". I have no idea what nationality he was, and couldnt place the accent at all. If I had to guess, it almost sounded russian? It always fascinates me how different cultures have such radically different standards of normal. I dont know if it was a culture thing, or his personally was just one-of-those-guys, but he had no sense of personal space at all. Here is a shot demonstrating that. Its a bit awkward looking because I am actually taking a step backwards because I swear we were about 2" from touching each others noses as he was speaking to me.

Regardless of the aforementioned uncomfortable closeness, he was a great guy, arrived a day earlier than quoted, and seemed to genuinely care about every car in his possession. He and his girlfriend/wife seemed to make a great team, working together flawlessly to unload the car. There was a serious lack of communication between them for how complicated the process seemed and you could just tell that they had done it many times. I know she could sense my giddiness. You can totally see it in this picture, her standing there with that knowing grin looking at me with my over excited expression, something I can only assume she has either seen many times, or at least enjoys seeing in place of some angry, entitled, where-the-hell-has-my-car-been over stressed person.

If I ever ship a vehicle again, Dan @ alpine will be the only call I make. Great company, great service, and instead of feeling like you are inconveniencing them for even speaking (like I felt with so many of the other transport companies I spoke to), they will apologize to YOU for things that do not require an apology!

Last edited:
My wife sends condolences to your wife after I shared your post with her. She knows what she's going to go through on a regular basis for the next um-teenth months to come. Little does my wife know that my fascination has just begun!

Drivers side fender secured! Thanks @BerzerkFury02 ! Can't wait to get it! Rest assured, this is NOT GPW.

Rear bumper from powerline also came, as well as a couple boxes from Acura parts for less:

Not much work done on the car, been doing household projects. I did manage to solder up an OEM spoiler wiring harness

Installed the new trunk struts as well. Man, those little bugger were a pain. Im sure someone has some fool proof process, but I got tired of trying to use a couple of picks to try and wrestle out the retaining clips, so I carefully ground them down on the bench grinder until I could cut and clip them out.

New passenger side window regulator vs old. Toying with sending my regulators out to hugabuga to have him do his thing while he is in the states. Also thinking about just installing them myself.

Wrap material and installation supplies ordered. I went with blue raspberry, but I'm already kinda wishing I woulda went with Anthracite. Oh well, maybe I'll do Anthracite at a later time to compare which I like better before I choose a paint color.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness. Even with multi colored body panels, it still looks better then that "thing" it once was.

I saw this car at Brandon's when I picked up my seats from him. Although apart it looked clean. Excited to see the process!

My wife sends condolences to your wife after I shared your post with her. She knows what she's going to go through on a regular basis for the next um-teenth months to come. Little does my wife know that my fascination has just begun!

Ha! I'll be sure to pass that along.. the condolences part, not so much the part about it only just beginning! :biggrin:

Congrats on getting an NSX!

Thanks Casey. Hope the move went well? BTW- Big nate mentioned he would consider buying your car back from me if I bought it and wanted to sell it a few years down the road.If youre still toying with the idea, might want to hit him up

Subscribed! Glad I could help in a small way @DigitalFusion...good luck with the build!

Thanks again Jose. Im looking forward to getting those lights!

Welcome to the madness. Even with multi colored body panels, it still looks better then that "thing" it once was.

Hey now man, thats just poor form. To each their own. Widebodies might not be your thing, but to some they are pretty cool. Plus. that GT Theory kit is one of the few that really respects the original lines of the NSX and makes a wide body that looks like it might have been OEM.

Definitely looking forward to seeing this project progress!

Thanks, and so am I!

I saw this car at Brandon's when I picked up my seats from him. Although apart it looked clean. Excited to see the process!

So you bough the DF seats? Brandon is a great seller. I am sure you had a good experience, just as I did.

Small update: Pass side fender arrived today, three more packages are scheduled for tomorrow/Tuesday, one more on Wednesday, and one more on Thursday should round out most of the larger parts I need. I found a pretty cool site that allows you to track packages from any carrier all in one place:

This has pretty much been what it has looked like in my driveway for the last couple of weeks, with at least one, if not two trucks every single day:

17_Road_Trains_in_semi_circle.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! I'll be sure to pass that along.. the condolences part, not so much the part about it only just beginning! :biggrin:

Thanks Casey. Hope the move went well? BTW- Big nate mentioned he would consider buying your car back from me if I bought it and wanted to sell it a few years down the road.If youre still toying with the idea, might want to hit him up

Thanks again Jose. Im looking forward to getting those lights!

Hey now man, thats just poor form. To each their own. Widebodies might not be your thing, but to some they are pretty cool. Plus. that GT Theory kit is one of the few that really respects the original lines of the NSX and makes a wide body that looks like it might have been OEM.

Thanks, and so am I!

So you bough the DF seats? Brandon is a great seller. I am sure you had a good experience, just as I did.

Small update: Pass side fender arrived today, three more packages are scheduled for tomorrow/Tuesday, one more on Wednesday, and one more on Thursday should round out most of the larger parts I need. I found a pretty cool site that allows you to track packages from any carrier all in one place:

This has pretty much been what it has looked like in my driveway for the last couple of weeks, with at least one, if not two trucks every single day:

17_Road_Trains_in_semi_circle.jpg
Yes, I can totally understand the amount of detail and work in the wide body nsx's and this one from Gt theory was well done. I guess it was just my way of saying I prefer the stock body in my own smart ass way. :) Gt Theory, if your listening "sorry" can we please get some concave 02wheel replicas now? :-D

An insane amount of empty boxes now occupies one corner of my garage (19 packages over the course of 17 days)!

19packagesin17days.jpg

I've got the garage all prepped for what is hopefully a productive weekend, even drug out whats left of one of my old sign shop tables to use during vinyl wrapping. That thing hasnt seen vinyl on it in nearly a decade!

garage.jpg

garage2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe your not done yet!!! Slacker:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Crazy rebuild thread!!! I take it you have done a wrap before??? Can't wait to see the blueberry when she is all done!!!

Subscribed:cool:

I take it you have done a wrap before???

Actually no. I've never done a wrap before. I had my own sign biz many years ago, which I thought having some experience working with vinyl would help, but wrapping is completely and totally different. I made several mistakes, and there are a few flaws in the wrap, but that's how you learn right? I figure I'll get the whole car done, live with the flaws until I get everything else taken care of mechanically (hoses, TB/WP, etc), and then wrap it again, hopefully learning from my mistakes.

Wow! And I thought mine was quick. Amazing, simply amazing.

:biggrin: I have a few questions about your wrap, any chance you'd mind sharing/PMing me some pictures of where the seams are on the mirrors, bumpers, vents, etc? I can quite wrap my mind around how to complete some of those pieces, and seeing how the 'pros' did them might help. Actually, that same request applies to you [MENTION=7751]91 X[/MENTION], or anyone else with a wrap!

Back