• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The backwards build - a new chapter in life for a former widebody

Great choice with the color. Can't wait to see it finished.

Yeah, me either!

My car next for wrap right??

Hopefully you get to drive it a tiny bit before the snow comes!

Some of my mistakes in this first attempt at wrapping are driving me nuts. I'll prolly end up rewrapping it at least once more before I can pull a wrap off thats mostly flawless. If your thinking of doing a wrap, why not contact Tint Pros? They do wraps.

I've only got to drive this thing a few times around the 'block', which includes the < 20 mph limp home after meeting the transport company. If I dont get to at least take her out for one cruise before the snow flies I might just go insane. A few weeks back I took off all the panels that were not completely secured, and in an attempt to see just how many tickets I might get if I got pulled over, I put about 5 miles on her ripping around in the most illegal way possible.

It was worth it :biggrin:

Yeah, me either!

Some of my mistakes in this first attempt at wrapping are driving me nuts. I'll prolly end up rewrapping it at least once more before I can pull a wrap off thats mostly flawless. If your thinking of doing a wrap, why not contact Tint Pros? They do wraps.

I've only got to drive this thing a few times around the 'block', which includes the < 20 mph limp home after meeting the transport company. If I dont get to at least take her out for one cruise before the snow flies I might just go insane. A few weeks back I took off all the panels that were not completely secured, and in an attempt to see just how many tickets I might get if I got pulled over, I put about 5 miles on her ripping around in the most illegal way possible.

It was worth it :biggrin:

What happened to your condenser coil ducts?:eek:

What happened to your condenser coil ducts?:eek:

They're sitting on the shelf at the moment (and the time of that picture)

What a great thread! How did I miss it all this time. *subscribed*

:biggrin:

I flipped the game(s) on the tvs in the garage, and tinkered with the car again today. Got the rear bumper wrapped and the taillights installed. I really butchered the wrap job on the bumper. I've been procrastinating on turning the heat on in the garage for the winter, and it was just too chilly in here to be wrapping apperently because I ended up ripping the vinyl in three different places! I was too far into it to just pull the whole thing off, so Im just letting it go for now; Im trying to keep in mind that this is my first wrap, and this will be my learning process so its not going to be perfect the first time around

Edit: forgot to mention that I also got my personalized collector plate installed as well. I went back and forth on what to apply for. I ended up putting 91 NSX as first choice, BKWRDS as second, and BAKWRDS as third. I ended up getting #1 obviously

Last edited:
Please keep that snow by you. I would at least like to drive my car a few more times before NY winter comes into play.

Please keep that snow by you. I would at least like to drive my car a few more times before NY winter comes into play.

During the winter, I'd be more than happy to hoard all the snow!

one of the best threads i've seen on here in a long time. amazing, inspiring stuff.

Over the last week or two, I placed what I hope is my last order for OEM fasteners, dropped off the 02 rear lower valance for soda blasting (2 day turn around), reached out to Shawn who says he has numerous headlight clips, ordered some HIDs for the low beams, and heard from Brandon that he planned to get a package of more parts out to me.

By Friday, I had found out that the order for the OEM fasteners ended up backordered untill 11-15, they never got around to soda blasting the valance, no reply from Shawn regarding headlight clips, the HID's arent here yet because the order is coming on the slowboat from China, and no word from Brandon on getting out the package.

0 for 5 - Hopefully next week has a better success rate!

In the meantime, I got the fuel door & front bumper cover wrapped. After I installed the turn signals and test fit it all back on the car I realized that for the first time since I took delivery of this car, its technically street legal as it sits.

Next up? Wrap the front lower and install the new OEM lip

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, BTW - Does anyone know WTF this plug is for? Its slightly to the right of the center of the front bumper. Its not the horns, its not the washer pump, not for fogs or turn signals. I cant figure out where its supposed to go or what its supposed to be for?

Hey I've been lurking on your post now for like 45min lol. I myself have a 91 NSX and my poor girl has had shoddy paintwork on her and much over spray over the years :mad: but I looked on my car to see what that plug could be and I believe it an ambient air temp sensor of some kind. I cant tell the color of my plug as it been painted over but the plug goes up to a sensor thats secured to my front bumper. I hope it helps and cool build man im so jelly you got a sick garage to work on it in.

Bingo. Ambient air sensor.
attachment.php

Hey I've been lurking on your post now for like 45min lol. I myself have a 91 NSX and my poor girl has had shoddy paintwork on her and much over spray over the years :mad: but I looked on my car to see what that plug could be and I believe it an ambient air temp sensor of some kind. I cant tell the color of my plug as it been painted over but the plug goes up to a sensor thats secured to my front bumper.

Bingo. Ambient air sensor.

Thanks for checking @bj91nsx, and thanks for confirming that @Jinks! @j91nsx, If im not mistaken, this is your first post? Welcome to breaking the Prime lurker barrier! I was a lurker for like a decade before I registered, and then it took me a couple a years to actually post. Back on topic, it would appear that I am completely missing that sensor. Oh well, might as well take the 4 orders for OEM parts in the last 30 days and make it 5?

I hope it helps and cool build man im so jelly you got a sick garage to work on it in.

It does help, thank you. Thanks for a compliments on the shop as well. I built that thing myself with the help of some really great friends. I only financed enough for the bare minimums, and then I have spent the last 7 years picking away at trying to get closer to finishing it.

If you're into garages, go check out http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/, especially the garage gallery sub-forum. If you sort by most views and/or replies, some of the shops in there are truly amazing.

Last edited:
That's really sick! Cant wait to do something like that too! And thanks for the link I will be checking that out soon! I'll be following. :smile:

Over the weekend I managed to get the front valance (just slipped roughly into place for the pic) and both mirrors wrapped:

I'm either going to wrap or paint the middle bar on the front valance black. Right now Im learning towards painting it satin black since I have a case of Krylon Fusion in black sitting in the paint cabinet. I'm still waiting on the tow hook cover that I ordered a while back. I also got a call yesterday saying the 02 rear valance has been soda blasted and is ready for pick up. Of course, they called me at 3:20pm when they close at 4pm, and its about a 45 minute drive :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
I love following your build and your wrapping skills. This is one car that has passion written all over it. Congratulations.

I love following your build and your wrapping skills. This is one car that has passion written all over it. Congratulations.

Thanks! Altho, I dont know if I would go so far as to say I have any wrapping skills, but I'm definitely learning.

The 02 rear valance was soda blasted. Unfortunately, they got a little too friendly with the blaster in several places and marred the urethane here and there. With the help of my shop assistant, I painted the middle bar on the font bumper and rear valance satin black, wrapped the rear valance & tow hook cover that finally arrived, and installed everything. Todays task while watching the Vikings v Rams (SKOL Vikings!) is to finish the panel alignments, install the front chin spoiler, and maybe take her out for a small cruise!

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks! Altho, I dont know if I would go so far as to say I have any wrapping skills, but I'm definitely learning.

The 02 rear valance was soda blasted. Unfortunately, they got a little too friendly with the blaster in several places and marred the urethane here and there. With the help of my shop assistant, I painted the middle bar on the font bumper and rear valance satin black, wrapped the rear valance & tow hook cover that finally arrived, and installed everything. Todays task while watching the Vikings v Rams (SKOL Vikings!) is to finish the panel alignments, install the front chin spoiler, and maybe take her out for a small cruise!

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
The rear looks bitchin. I'd paint the underside of the hood black along with the support bar. But then again, I'd paint everything black. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
The rear looks bitchin. I'd paint the underside of the hood black along with the support bar. But then again, I'd paint everything black. ;-) Your trials and tribulations remind me of my nsx which had a body kit on it as well. Tons of sensors, clips, brackets, etc missing. While I did enjoy restoring the car and learning more about it, my wallet cried uncle. Though, all local Acura parts dealers know me by name now though. I'm very glad to see this car go to a person who cares for it rather then slapping fiberglass body parts on it. A big thumbs up buddy, your doing the car a damn good deed.

The rear looks bitchin. I'd paint the underside of the hood black along with the support bar. But then again, I'd paint everything black. ;-)

When I started my NSX search, I was hoping for a berlina car for just that reason.

Your trials and tribulations remind me of my nsx which had a body kit on it as well. Tons of sensors, clips, brackets, etc missing. While I did enjoy restoring the car and learning more about it, my wallet cried uncle. Though, all local Acura parts dealers know me by name now though. I'm very glad to see this car go to a person who cares for it rather then slapping fiberglass body parts on it. A big thumbs up buddy, your doing the car a damn good deed.

I stopped keeping track of how much I was spending on OEM clips, brackets, sensors, nuts & bolts once it hit the 2K mark, and even that was with buying a bulk lot of used fasteners from Powerline Recyclers!

I was able to get almost everything bolted on and aligned over the weekend. The front-end alignment was really kickin my arse, but I managed to get it very, very close to perfect. I still need to figure out what to do with the mirrors. I installed the drivers side, and then two days later the vinyl started lifting and puckering around the edges. The passenger side is doing the same thing. I think I will install the passenger side, and then attempt to re-wrap both of them while they are installed on the car.

During halftime, I was able to take it out for a short sprint up to the gas station to top off the tank. Between deer hunting season opener, and the Vikings playing, the roads were empty, and the town was like a ghost town. It was sooo hard to try and keep it at the speed limit when there was zero traffic and I had the roads to myself.

Last edited:
This car looks gorgeous, brilliant use of wrap to cover up the frankenstiened panels!

Sorry I'm late, but just read the entire thread. Wow - what a reincarnation. Your work in the past 5 months make me feel like a slacker.
That blue looks so nice, and you won't have to worry about seeing too many more blue cars. I've only seen one in the area.
Looks like we will have a little more nice weather; go out and give er some revs.
Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car some day - Al

really looks good Tom!

Thanks for the headlights! Those things were the biggest pain in the ass to get aligned. Still hoping @shawn110975 can find some spare bulb clips for me so I can actually put high beams in.

This car looks gorgeous, brilliant use of wrap to cover up the frankenstiened panels!

Part of me wants to take that as a compliment, and part of me wants to defend my lady as not being a Frankenstein! :p The plan is to try out a few more colors in vinyl before I decide on a paint color and send her down to Shawn for a full respray.

turned out great !

Sorry I'm late, but just read the entire thread. Wow - what a reincarnation. Your work in the past 5 months make me feel like a slacker.
That blue looks so nice, and you won't have to worry about seeing too many more blue cars. I've only seen one in the area.l

Ha! I feel like a slacker cause I had to take quite a bit of time off from working on her to take care of other responsibilities. I love that blue as well. Im seriously thinking of having it painted Nouvelle Blue since its such a similar color

Photos Credit of Brian Barnfield

Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car some day - Al

I look forward to that as well some day!

Last edited:
Awesome build thread. You definitely have my respect!

Awesome build thread. You definitely have my respect!

Amazing build! Were you able to do the lower part of the front bumper without seams?

If my front lower was game, it would be called Seam City 2015.

If it was a movie, it would be called Patch Adams.

If it was a piece of artwork, it would be entitled Monotone Collage

I made so many mistakes on that part that I ended up being down to nothing but scraps left to work with.

Back