• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Mythical $25k NSX.

Would you sell your NSX for less than $25k?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 221 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 8.0%

• Total voters
I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that the US dollar has lost about 20% against most major world currencys in the last year or so. For the rest of the world, everything in the US is now on sale for 15-25% off. Including the entire US market of NSXs!

IMHO, prices for all years have reached about where they will stay for the next 10 years, at which point the prices will start to rise as the cars become "classics".

Find a good one, keep it in good shape, and enjoy it's company.

The reason I'm taking all these negative posts from Van offensively is because he is respected prime member and his posts being recorded on this forum will and can attribute to lowered expectations of the value of the NSX.

It's uncalled for and quotes that the NSX do not have "cult" following and will not a collectible? Vance I'm gonna have to just respectively tell you are completely wrong on this subject. Until you edit that post and remove Value bashing of the NSX.

Your 02 would not worth 50k if the economy was not crappy. Obviously anyone who needs to sell now is in "need" and obviously higher priced items take a bigger hit so maybe some 30k NSX's being sold for 25k. And $60k 02's being sold for $50k. Its not permanent and don't HATE. A NSX does not matter if its 5 years old or 15 years old its the SAME EXACT COST OF OWNERSHIP. Thats what people just cant get through their heads. At 100k miles this thing is just getting warmed up.

Ledit...)The NSX is hardly a entry level car and this is why you are seeing more and more of these cars for sale because of "financial reasons" or the state of the U.S. market. This is also re-inforced by the number of posts on NSX Prime where people are looking to finance these cars...startling.

But...when people from our generation become 40+ years old and become more settled in their life you'll start to see a resurgence of NSX values. Suddenly, your making more, kids aren't as costly unless they are starting college, etc. and it might just be time for this generation to purchase NSX's...actually its already starting.

You explained it better than me. :smile: must be that 4 years of maturity I'm awaiting :wink:

Oh and to add a comment regarding the Italian/German/exotic values in comparison to the Japanses imports...
My dad is 56 years old this March and he's presently hunting for a stock Toyota Supra TT...even his generation doesn't want the Italian/German exotics...LOL

I have a story from last year that applies perectly to this...
I was sitting at an outdoor coffee shop with our cars parked outside (NSX & Esprit) An older lady 60 or so parking her SL500 convertible in front of my car looks around and pointing at my NSX, and said "What car is that? My best friend the Esprit owner said jokingly "Its the New Honda Civic" She looked at him like he had six heads an said "Excuse me son? You are mistaken, I think that is the NSX the most advanced automobile of our time, my husband owned 3 until he passed away 4 years ago, he was an Aviation engineer obsessed with It. He claimed it is the only performance car ever built purposely to last longer than ANY other car in History."

This makes actually makes sense. Maybe Honda was investing in their future. What better to help sell more Honda's in 2015 than the amazing history of the durability of their 90's super car? For an aviation industry professional to believe this is impressive, because reliability, proper heat cycling, & predicting rebuild times are their main objectives in Aviation engineering.

We all know the NSX was built way heavier than it needed to be considering its aluminum chassis, I read somewhere the reason was ALL cars chassis are built based on a minimum 15 year lifespan while the NSX was the only car ever engineered a built for a minimum of 30... Titanium rods are there for 300k+miles of heat cycling, rather than to endure 600HP. Body panels not as much for weight reduction as longevity. Every thing was a exquisite balance of Durability & performance.

I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that the US dollar has lost about 20% against most major world currencys in the last year or so. For the rest of the world, everything in the US is now on sale for 15-25% off. Including the entire US market of NSXs!

IMHO, prices for all years have reached about where they will stay for the next 10 years, at which point the prices will start to rise as the cars become "classics".

Find a good one, keep it in good shape, and enjoy it's company.

Yup thats right... I just mentioned that on another thread.:wink:
I exported a M3 to Europe for $33k euros ($49k dollars) that I only paid $38K dollars for. That was a decent profit in a couple of days. My buddy just sold His Ferrari 599 to a guy in Russia. He made $80k on the exchange back to dollars.

Plus economic prediction calls for some major inflation over the next few years. Its starting already. Any thing of Value should hold 6-7% inflation per year over next 4-5 years

Last edited:
You thats right... I just mentioned that on another thread.:wink: exported a M3 to Europe for $33k euros ($49k dollars) that I only paid $38K dollars for. That was a decent profit in a couple of days. My buddy just sold His Ferrari 599 to a guy in Russia. He made $80k on the exchange back to dollars.

Nsx's are pretty spendy in Australia and UK.lol

FYI Exotic cars are pretty cheap in UAE to be shipped to USA

Currently, you can find 1997 cars with fair mileage for $37k, unless you must have a coupe, it does not make sense that a 1991/1994 will continue to sell for $30k plus.
This makes me wonder why the guy you mentioned paid $35K for a 91 with 100K+ miles ???

I got my 91 NSX with 84k miles on it, perfect condition, clean title for 29k /shrug

I got a deal of a lifetime last November. 92 5-speed, 170K, no trans issue, clean title, good maintenance, good paint with front chips and slightly fadded rear bumper but clean body, drivers seat worn. A clean Calif. car for $10K. it needed an ABS pressure tank and a coolant tank- $600. After adding new springs, shocks, BBK, wheels and tires, the car will still be worth twice the investment. With so little into it, I don't mind giving it to my son to track and drive to High School.
So, the answer is No, not selling for $25K

Last edited:
I love the stories of the great finds some of you guys have made. I do have to wonder though if they are going to become more and more the exception, as the value of these cars goes up in our own estimation. Look at the poll results. Very few of us are willing to part with our cars for $25k.

I wouldn't either, not only because I earnestly believe it's worth more (and may be going up in value) but because, what the hell would I buy that I could replace it with for less than double that amount, that I would like as much?

Nothing.

can't we all just get along??? why get heated over such a topic???

bottom line is that the NSX is worth what ever someone is willing to buy/sell it for!!!

The $25K Mythical NSX is not a myth...Find me a desperate seller or ignorant owner who thinks KBB is true market value and I'll show you the "mythical NSX"

All I know is that I have had two NSX's, both for two years each and have sold them for more ($2500 & $3500) then I paid both times in less then a month of putting them on the market.:biggrin: Of coarse I put money into both cars, but...If you can get a good deal on an NSX, especially early models, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!! They are like driving a savings account, only much more fun:tongue:

I am currently looking for #3...time to start another "savings account":wink:

eat ramen noodles every day before I'd sell mine that cheap.

:rolleyes:

Hey buddy, you got a problem with Ramen noodles? :wink:

IMG_5723.jpg

91X
Cool, let us know what you find out there.
I looked at & drove 12 NSX's when I was in the market.
Almost bought 2nd one last year, a 91 silver / white. (yes s&w)
Very Lo mi. (under 40k mi.) but had been through an auction at one point and had minor paint work (bumper covers min.) prior to the 3rd owner. Got the price down to 33k. Great car, just couldnt pull the trigger do to the unknown's. Am probably a bit more picky than most?
Keep us posted!:smile:

The reason I'm taking all these negative posts from Van offensively is because he is respected prime member and his posts being recorded on this forum will and can attribute to lowered expectations of the value of the NSX.

It's uncalled for and quotes that the NSX do not have "cult" following and will not a collectible? Vance I'm gonna have to just respectively tell you are completely wrong on this subject. Until you edit that post and remove Value bashing of the NSX.

In my opinion, I don't think you're talking negative, but your words represent a certain demographic of NSX owner/buyers. It is your opinion and you are entitle to it. I based my theory on my years of observation being in the car business.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new S2000CR after trading my 2006 S2000. It was not exactly a smart choice because I know in my heart, the S2k CR will not hold it's value better than a standard model, but I want it it because it is a genuin S2k Type S in Japan. Regardless what the dealer is telling me (only 1300 cars are export to the US), CR is still just a S2000. And don't get me wrong, I like the S2k enough to own a third one, taking a deep financial dive on my 2006. That said, we buy car based on our preference, unless external for is applied (family, kids, finance, etc) we will continue to drive our NSX - as long as we feel good about it.

I think only time will tell. Let's say 20 years from now, your right, or I'm right, it really doesn't matter as much. A Civic will probably cost people $30 to $40k, which will actually make a $30k used NSX look like a bargin, which in term, offer us less incentive to sell the NSX for a Civic...lol:smile: Perhaps that's the reason why we see so my Civic/S2k step uppers join the NSX party.

The whole point is that the only reason NA1 is holding up its value is because it is an "Entry" lever NSX for people who want to play the game; as long as there are buyers for it, the price will remain strong. However, as the price goes down for later models, I don't see NA1 continue the current "market" rate. A car is only worth what people are willing to pay, some are willing to pay more, so not.
Vance,

It is cool. I don't see NA2s go down too much, my assumption is that at absolute lowest maybe $50k for 02+ and high $37~$42k for 97+ NA2s. There are many types of consumers.

That local example 92 NSX with 150k mile and sold for $35 is an extremely rare, the price he claimed probably also included sales tax as well. We hardly even know him at all. Even if it is true, it is not a big at all. Good deals are not mythical, just hard to come by. Good price and good quality when it comes to NSX, you usually only get 1 of the 2.

It really is not about how much my or Erick's car is worth. You know me better than that. I never ask people personal questions. If they want to tell me they will. Asking stuff like how much you think your car is worth is not very nice in my opinion. Arguing about merely just cost of a car should cost really silly when compare to how people can just go and spent 5~10times of that on another exotic car without even raise an eyebrow. I rather be the later.

Lets not talk about value, rather how difficult it is to obtain. There are a lot of things even with money, you can't buy easily. This is my perspective. While others seem to always perceive me wrong. I take care of all cars not because of perserving the value. Because not only I am just meticulous but more importantly because it can not be easily replaced and I don't want to invest the time and hassle again.

Take the $37k NA2 as example, if it is in bad shape. Then it is not as good of purchase compare to a nice condition NA1. There are early ones that are in better shape than later models. For people who said no to Targa, it is not just an excuse. It really is hardcore stuff. An older car doesn't necessarily mean it is more abused or used than a later model. Targa is far bigger deal breaker for many than merey just 3.2L and 6spd for those who do care, definitely not just an excuse you seem to have hard time believing. Ask Supra owners and see how big of deal is having a hardtop.

3.2L and 6spd can be retrofit for what I considered very little amount of money compare to mods I done and not really necessary (except 6spd). But to do the coupe conversion, not that easy. There is reason why most NSXes sold in Japan are coupe. You know numbers and the Targas are a lot more rarer than even NSX-Rs in Japan. Hardcore or not, even just a coupe chasis, just that mind set alone is worth it going NA1. Same kind of mind set goes to those who only want Targa.

no car will hold it's value unless it is highly desirable/collectable, and our beloved NSX is not in that category.
I don't care about the value or $ amount, because it is not an investment. Gordon Murray will likely disagree on your desirability/collectibility aspect. I honestly can't not think of a 90s Japanese car that represent the era better than NSX and is low in production number with great built quality. The Supra is not even close in built quality man, FD forget it.

You know the history of the NSX. Think FD, Supra. They didn't sold too well when new either. What other cool buys are out there for $20k that has what NSX has to offer (handbuilt, fun to drive, good looking, total package).

I have discovered many "new" early model NSX owners are stepping up from Civics and S2k; in my opinion, they're the one that is holding up the NA1 market.
It is the car that is holding up the market. $25k~$30k today is nothing for a lot of car buyers. An average condition/high mileage NSX is way more of a car than other offerings you can get of for $20~30k. The lower the price drops, the bigger poll of buyer out there and demand increase x-potentially. Bottomline it is a great bargin.

Last edited:
I'm sure the most telling part of this discussion is the bias on price if you base the data set on primes market place only.Sellers on prime probably feel the car is worth a premium because of a personal high regard for the car.On the other hand some cars sold by regular members are assumed to be better cared for and are represented fairly.

I'n all honesty considering the difficulty to finance an older cars I belive a 60k 2002 is easier to aquire than a 91 100k NSX.

A decent example of future value between 91's and 2002's NSX's will be 911's
1988 Turbo $40k
1996 Turbo $50k
13 years apart yet only $10k diffrence

Both slower than the NSX
Both with 10x the production amout
Both less reliable
Both no where near bieng rare or hard to find
Both with 40 other years and models and body styles to choose from

Add up all that and then figure out why the NSX wont be worth twice those numbers once it reaches the same age?

Last edited:
I'n all honesty considering the difficulty to finance an older cars I belive a 60k 2002 is easier to aquire than a 91 100k NSX.

A decent example of future value between 91's and 2002's NSX's will be 911's
1988 Turbo $40k
1996 Turbo $50k
13 years apart yet only $10k diffrence

Both slower than the NSX
Both with 10x the production amout
Both less reliable
Both no where near bieng rare or hard to find
Both with 40 other years and models and body styles to choose from

Add up all that and then figure out why the NSX wont be worth twice those numbers once it reaches the same age?
According to your contrary belifes please explain why Vance.
stock for stock a 96tt P car is faster than any stock nsx,,at the drag strip.

"The Mythical $25k NSX."

Yes, there out there. (but generally 91's in poor cond. primarily due to numbers built etc)
Not the example I would want to own.
As far as down the road, don't be surprised if the OBD1 coupe isn't the
one to own......... I for one feel the early examples will be sought after
for a variety of reasons. (Too many to list)
With 1994 being the pinnacle YR. of the NSX.
just one opinion........
Flame suit on................

Flame suit off!
Fatdude.jpg

Targa is far bigger deal breaker for many than merey just 3.2L and 6spd for those who do care, definitely not just an excuse you seem to have hard time believing. Ask Supra owners and see how big of deal is having a hardtop.

3.2L and 6spd can be retrofit for what I considered very little amount of money compare to mods I done and not really necessary (except 6spd). But to do the coupe conversion, not that easy. There is reason why most NSXes sold in Japan are coupe. You know numbers and the Targas are a lot more rarer than even NSX-Rs in Japan. Hardcore or not, even just a coupe chasis, just that mind set alone is worth it going NA1. Same kind of mind set goes to those who only want Targa.

I'd gladly trade my coupe for a comparable targa if mine was paid off :frown:

stock for stock a 96tt P car is faster than any stock nsx,,at the drag strip.

Sorry you are correct the 993 body 911TT shows faster stock #'s @ 12.6
91 NSX w/headers only should run around 13.2
Headers are are total handicap to the NSX due to HP regulations and should be credited in stock comparisons.
but the Drag strip obviously is not the only thing that counts.

Personally, I would not pay over $45k for ANY YEAR NSX. And I believe that the car can easily be sold for under $25k. A 17 year old NSX with over 150,000 miles in ANY condition shouldn't be sold for over $25k.

Simply put, this car was designed in the 1980's and is no better, performance wise, than an Infiniti G37. Furthermore, the youngest NSX is now 3 years old and counting.

I have always loved the NSX, however, since I am not yet an owner, I am not biased about the car either.

I believe that this car is a great option against other cars in the sub $50k range, however, once you step over $50k, it changes the game. Hense, why only a couple of hundered were sold the last few years of production.

And since production has ended, the bar has been substantially raised. You have cars like the GT-R, ZR1, 911 S, and R8 that run circles around the NSX. Not to mention the 2008 M3 and current M6.

Coming from S2ki, I know how owners can live in a bubble about their car, however, I think that it's kind of pompus to think that a 17 year old car by a non-exotic car company can be worth more than $25k.... especially when the performance of the car is sub-par for the current era.

Personally, I would not pay over $45k for ANY YEAR NSX. And I believe that the car can easily be sold for under $25k. A 17 year old NSX with over 150,000 miles in ANY condition shouldn't be sold for over $25k.

Simply put, this car was designed in the 1980's and is no better, performance wise, than an Infiniti G37. Furthermore, the youngest NSX is now 3 years old and counting.

I have always loved the NSX, however, since I am not yet an owner, I am not biased about the car either.

I believe that this car is a great option against other cars in the sub $50k range, however, once you step over $50k, it changes the game. Hense, why only a couple of hundered were sold the last few years of production.

And since production has ended, the bar has been substantially raised. You have cars like the GT-R, ZR1, 911 S, and R8 that run circles around the NSX. Not to mention the 2008 M3 and current M6.

Coming from S2ki, I know how owners can live in a bubble about their car, however, I think that it's kind of pompus to think that a 17 year old car by a non-exotic car company can be worth more than $25k.... especially when the performance of the car is sub-par for the current era.

Are you confused?

ZR1 M3 and M6 are not mid engine cars. 911 is a rear engine car. and all the cars you mentioned are more expensive than a 45k nsx as you put it.

You do know that a 17 year old Nsx has more potential with very simple suspension/exhaust modifications(less expensive) is more robust, reliable, exotic looking than the aformentioned cars you just named and is the only car that is Hand made and aluminum (almost the entire car).

& the only exotic besides the Audi R8

Coming from S2ki, I know how owners can live in a bubble about their car, however, I think that it's kind of pompus to think that a 17 year old car by a non-exotic car company can be worth more than $25k.....

What does "by a non-exotic car company" have to do w/ what an NSX is worth?

Is a Porsche Carrera GT non exotic? I mean, it's roots are really VW, right? The Carrera GT can trace its heritage back to the lowly Beetle.

Is a Lamborghini Gallardo or Murci non exotic? I mean, really, they are made by Audi.

Is the Audi R8 non exotic? I mean, it's an Audi, right?

Ford GT? Not exotic? It's a Ford, right?

Jaguar? The XJ220? Jag is known for comfort, right? Again, not exotic?

BMW Z8? Dodge Viper? Mercedes 300SL Gullwing? Nissan Skyline (exotic in the U.S. for sure), Plymouth/Dodge Prowler, etc. All made by "non-exotic" car companies.

Last edited:
What does "by a non-exotic car company" have to do w/ what an NSX is worth?

Is a Porsche Carrera GT non exotic? I mean, it's roots are really VW, right? The Carrera GT can trace its heritage back to the lowly Beetle.

To be technical Porsche model 60 predates the beattle which VW mass produced so Porsche predates VW as he created Porsches before VW.lol

When Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche GmbH was commissioned by the Imperial Federation of the Automobile Industry (Reichsverband der Automobilindustrie (RDA)) in 1934 to build a Volkswagen (Porsche model 60),

http://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/world/tradition/ferry/

Are you confused?

ZR1 M3 and M6 are not mid engine cars. 911 is a rear engine car. and all the cars you mentioned are more expensive than a 45k nsx as you put it.

You do know that a 17 year old Nsx has more potential with very simple suspension/exhaust modifications(less expensive) is more robust, reliable, exotic looking than the aformentioned cars you just named and is the only car that is Hand made and aluminum (almost the entire car).

& the only exotic besides the Audi R8

Am I confused?

1) Nothing in this thread stated that I can't compare mid engine car's to front engine cars?

2) What's your definition of "robust"?

3) Porsche was considered more reliable than Lexus in 2007 in whatever survey that is that they do every year. JD Powers and Associates I believe. Acura/ Honda was not even close to Porsche.

4) Who cars about a car being hand made? I know a lot of crappy cars that are hand made and I know a lot of great cars that come off of assembly lines.

5) It doesn't matter what the car is made out of, alumnium, carbon fiber, gold, or silver... all that matters is the performance.

All the cars I mentioned are better cars than the NSX and you can find them starting a bit over $50k starting with a used 997 Porsche. The 2008 M3 will be in the high $50k range. The Nissan GT-R will start in the high $60k range, the ZR1 will be right at $100k and the R8 is in the $130k range.

So like I said, under $45 the NSX is great, but above $50, the car gets ate up.

And lets not even start on the interior!

Have you been inside a 997 Porsche lately? Suede trimming on the roof? Built in Navi, bt, XM radio, leather dash, etc.

Performance is only one part of the game.

So like I said. There's no reason for people to ride the high horse about how much the NSX is worth. It's a nice car, but if it is 17 years old then I don't think that it going for less than $25 is anything to worry about.

Am I confused?

1) Nothing in this thread stated that I can't compare mid engine car's to front engine cars? Simply put, this car was designed in the 1980's and is no better, performance wise, than an Infiniti G37. This statement pretty much downgrades NSX an exotic to mass produced vehicles.
2) What's your definition of "robust"? Porsche is robust as it has longevity on the track as does NSX
3) Porsche was considered more reliable than Lexus in 2007 in whatever survey that is that they do every year. JD Powers and Associates I believe. Acura/ Honda was not even close to Porsche. Porsche was reliable because it is still under warranty this is entirely based on the number of times the car was taken in during warranty for service, we all know about the 996/boxter engine failures and rms/porous case issues, 74-77 engine failures 911 nikalsel. Yes Cayenne engines and transmissions are bullet proof less 2004 cars.
4) Who cars about a car being hand made? I know a lot of crappy cars that are hand made and I know a lot of great cars that come off of assembly lines. Subject to interpretation
5) It doesn't matter what the car is made out of, alumnium, carbon fiber, gold, or silver... all that matters is the performance. Big misconception aluminum withstands heat and light metal.

All the cars I mentioned are better cars than the NSX and you can find them starting a bit over $50k starting with a used 997 Porsche. The 2008 M3 will be in the high $50k range. The Nissan GT-R will start in the high $60k range, the ZR1 will be right at $100k and the R8 is in the $130k range. Wrong 997 is 60k+, GTR 70k, Audi R8 starts 108 My NSX new was 100k I bought it for 32k.

And lets not even start on the interior! Nappa leather in NSX high grade material, exceptional form over function, 312 degree view
Have you been inside a 997 Porsche lately? Suede trimming on the roof? Built in Navi, bt, XM radio, leather dash, etc. Yes more plastic than 993 150man hours to build versus 300 in 993
Performance is only one part of the game.

You are a product of marketing its not your fault you believe everything you read or hear.:biggrin:

Back