• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Mythical $25k NSX.

Would you sell your NSX for less than $25k?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 221 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 8.0%

• Total voters
In fact, I used to argue with people on S2ki about this same topic. My arguement was this.

You have a Mugen Civic Si 4 Door than can out perform an S2000 in auto cross and wonder why people aren't buying the S2000 anymore.

It's simple, the performace just isn't there anymore.

This isn't 1991 or 2000 people. It's 2008. The S2000 and the NSX are not the cars they once were. Get off the soap box. Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Infiniti, BMW, and Audi have taken over in the performance arena.

When the NSX was first introduced, BMW had the 1st generation M3. It only had 192 hp.

Look at what the1986 - 1992 M3 was back then compared to now!

Honda really dropped the ball.

Personally, I would not pay over $45k for ANY YEAR NSX. And I believe that the car can easily be sold for under $25k. A 17 year old NSX with over 150,000 miles in ANY condition shouldn't be sold for over $25k.

I believe that this car is a great option against other cars in the sub $50k range, however, once you step over $50k, it changes the game. Hense, why only a couple of hundered were sold the last few years of production.

How long have you been in the market for one? Have you rigorously pursue NSX for sale ads, driven different models for periods of time and came to that conclusion? If not, that's rather presumptuous and your want of a 02 NSX is rather contradicting.

Simply put, this car was designed in the 1980's and is no better, performance wise, than an Infiniti G37. Furthermore, the youngest NSX is now 3 years old and counting.

Save yourself the money you would spend on an 02 NSX and go buy a G37. Or is there an alternative feeling for you saying this?

And since production has ended, the bar has been substantially raised. You have cars like the GT-R, ZR1, 911 S, and R8 that run circles around the NSX. Not to mention the 2008 M3 and current M6.

Have you owned or driven any of these said cars?

Coming from S2ki, I know how owners can live in a bubble about their car

3 posts and you assume every NSX owner falls under the umbrella of
"living in a bubble." Many of us are car enthusiast and not some die hard i-drive-hondas-rule-4eva-kickass-vtec-yo fan boys. We praise the likes of S2000s, GT-Rs, R8s, P-Cars, F-Cars, etc...

Car enthusiasts are just that, we adore different cars for its uniqueness and individual characteristics. And the experience of ownership, whether good or bad.

especially when the performance of the car is sub-par for the current era.

... performance is sub-par? A handful of NSXs owners (me included) must be genuinely illogical as we have to much money to burn and haven't considered any "current-era" alternatives. Maybe, Just maybe, that when we get in a NSX, our emotional stability > logical sense.

You are a product of marketing its not your fault you believe everything you read or hear.:biggrin:

I think that we're getting away from the main topic of this thread, which is the value and worth of the NSX.

I believe that it is a great car, or I wouldn't be looking to purchase one. However, I believe that sometimes that the car is a little over valued.

I think that we're getting away from the main topic of this thread, which is the value and worth of the NSX.

I believe that it is a great car, or I wouldn't be looking to purchase one. However, I believe that sometimes that the car is a little over valued.

Nice retort.

However, I believe that sometimes that the car is a little over valued.

Its the basic principles of economics, just a refresher:
businessreference.com said:
THE LAW OF DEMAND.

When an individual want is expressed as an intention to buy, it becomes a demand. The law of demand is a theory about the relationship between the amount of a good that a buyer both desires and is able to purchase per unit of time, and the price charged for it. The ability to pay is as important as the desire for the good, because economics is interested in explaining and predicting actual behavior in the marketplace, not just intentions. At a given price for a good, economics is interested in the buyer's demand that can effectively be backed by a purchase. Thus, it is implied with demand that a consumer not only has the desire and need for a product, but also has the money to purchase it. The law of demand states that the lower the price charged for a product, resource, or service, the larger will be the quantity demanded per unit of time. Conversely, the higher the price charged, the smaller will be the quantity demanded per unit of time—all other things being constant. For example, the lower the purchase price for a six-pack of Coca-Cola, the more a consumer will demand (up to some saturation point, of course).

Whether you like it or not, the NSX has an innate characteristic about it that no other car possess. Current or not, this uniqueness can not be easily duplicated. Hence, your want(demand) for one and its current value(supply) would always be on a delta until (for me at least) you driven one and experience all that the NSX has to offer.

Its the basic principles of economics, just a refresher:

Whether you like it or not, the NSX has an innate characteristic about it that no other car possess. Current or not, this uniqueness can not be easily duplicated. Hence, your want(demand) for one and its current value(supply) would always be on a delta until (for me at least) you driven one and experience all that the NSX has to offer.

Good point

http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp

We shall not worry about Equilibrium as supply is limited and demand will remain strong.

Attachments

• Nsx.JPG
    Nsx.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 65
In fact, I used to argue with people on S2ki about this same topic. My arguement was this.

You have a Mugen Civic Si 4 Door than can out perform an S2000 in auto cross and wonder why people aren't buying the S2000 anymore.

It's simple, the performace just isn't there anymore.

Honda really dropped the ball.

I agree that Honda dropped the ball.
I agree that a Civic is a good car. My family has owned 3 Civics.

However, you can't compare a Mugen Civic to an S2000, because at the end of the day, the S2000 is an S2000, and a Mugen Civic is a Civic.

My previous 240SX, I could of thrown $10K at it, and make it blow the doors off of a stock NSX.
But it's still a 240SX.

If you/all of us here valued performance all the way, we all would of bought Lotus Exiges or Ariel Atoms.

However, delivering a whole package is difficult, which is what the NSX excels at.

-----------------------------------

I've been reading this topic for days, and didn't post till now.

Would I sell my NSX (That I waited 12 years for) for $25K?
If there was some sort of family emergency, yes.
Otherwise, generally no.

The comments on the 1993+ Supra:
Unless you have a clean, 5/6spd Supra Turbo, that hasn't been driven to the ground, it's going to be hard for a Supra to maintain it's value the next while.

The NSX will generally maintain it's value because the 1st generation of owners.
The first generation of owners for the NSX generally took good care of their cars, because the NSX was quite expensive and it is an exotic
The 2nd gen owners (used NSXs) are generally the same.
The average NSX is much better maintained than the average Supra Turbo.

Unless you have an anomaly Supra (Supra Turbo 5spd, low mileage) it's not going to maintain it's value as strongly.

However, there are more well maintained used NSX's out there.

My 1994 window sticker say's $80k.
When I found a jewell in the lower 30's I jumped.
Did I buy at the bottom? Not sure, but who cares?
Saved $50k off sticker! LOL LOL
If your in the coupe market, not sure what your waiting for?
All you will find going forward is more and more examples in less than prefered condition. Flying around the country looking at one dog after another, trying to save a few bucks...... Real smart............:confused:

My 1994 window sticker say's $80k.
When I found a jewell in the lower 30's I jumped.
Did I buy at the bottom? Not sure, but who cares?
Saved $50k off sticker! LOL LOL
If your in the coupe market, not sure what your waiting for?
All you will find going forward is more and more examples in less than prefered condition. Flying around the country looking at one dog after another, trying to save a few bucks...... Real smart............:confused:

Exactly,

When I was seeking my car, I inspected 4 cars one in California, two in Texas, three in Georgia, 4 Upstate NYC almost 900 bucks:rolleyes:

You get what you pay for.

I agree that Honda dropped the ball.
I agree that a Civic is a good car. My family has owned 3 Civics.

However, you can't compare a Mugen Civic to an S2000, because at the end of the day, the S2000 is an S2000, and a Mugen Civic is a Civic.

My previous 240SX, I could of thrown $10K at it, and make it blow the doors off of a stock NSX.
But it's still a 240SX.

If you/all of us here valued performance all the way, we all would of bought Lotus Exiges or Ariel Atoms.

However, delivering a whole package is difficult, which is what the NSX excels at.

-----------------------------------

I've been reading this topic for days, and didn't post till now.

Would I sell my NSX (That I waited 12 years for) for $25K?
If there was some sort of family emergency, yes.
Otherwise, generally no.

The comments on the 1993+ Supra:
Unless you have a clean, 5/6spd Supra Turbo, that hasn't been driven to the ground, it's going to be hard for a Supra to maintain it's value the next while.

The NSX will generally maintain it's value because the 1st generation of owners.
The first generation of owners for the NSX generally took good care of their cars, because the NSX was quite expensive and it is an exotic
The 2nd gen owners (used NSXs) are generally the same.
The average NSX is much better maintained than the average Supra Turbo.

Unless you have an anomaly Supra (Supra Turbo 5spd, low mileage) it's not going to maintain it's value as strongly.

However, there are more well maintained used NSX's out there.

It is true that you can put money into any car and make it faster or nicer, however, it's what the car initially brings to the table that gives it it's real praise.

You can mod the hell out of a Camaro, however, it is first and foremost, a Carmro.

I don't count mods, I only count what the car came with stock. It's unfair to count mods because then it becomes a pissing contest with no clear winner.

I'm still a little undecided with purchasing the NSX. I am also considering the 2008 M3 as well as a 2005 911. I am a Honda fan at heart, but I also realize that there are other options out there. That's why this thread really interested me. Because I was questioning the value of the NSX compared to other cars right now and I came to the conclusion that if I can get what I am want, which is a 2002 for $45 (Yellow/ yellow, or Orange/ Tan) color, then I will pull the trigger. If not, then I will probably get the 911 and put the GT3 Aero kit on it and call it a day. I have found some in the mid $50k range. I'm not sure if I can wait on the M3 Convertible. I'm too impatient.

I'm still a little undecided with purchasing the NSX. I am also considering the 2008 M3 as well as a 2005 911. I am a Honda fan at heart, but I also realize that there are other options out there. That's why this thread really interested me. Because I was questioning the value of the NSX compared to other cars right now and I came to the conclusion that if I can get what I am want, which is a 2002 for $45 (Yellow/ yellow, or Orange/ Tan) color, then I will pull the trigger. If not, then I will probably get the 911 and put the GT3 Aero kit on it and call it a day. I have found some in the mid $50k range. I'm not sure if I can wait on the M3 Convertible. I'm too impatient.

You really think you're going to get a 2002 for $45K? Are you winking in the dark?

I must say I've read your threads and haven't really commented, but this really demonstrates how out of touch you are.

Good luck with your 911 or that M3.:biggrin:

Yup, not that sums it up. Can we move on now?
yes, indeed

I forgot everyone is entitle to their opinion:biggrin:. I wasn't being respectful, I apologize. Life is too short to debate on such an unimportant topics, I too think we should move on and enjoy more important things.

You really think you're going to get a 2002 for $45K? Are you winking in the dark?

I must say I've read your threads and haven't really commented, but this really demonstrates how out of touch you are.

I thought there is a 2002 silver for sale, but had accident record (not salvaged) for $44k. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw one on one of the thread.

Even though cheaper/faster cars are out there, but with NSX, it is about the pride of owning one, and it is no slug, just not as fast as some of today's offering. NSX is however, easier to push to the limit than most other cars out there.

Imagine people drop couple hundred grand for a vintage Ferreri that is slower than a Civic Si, are people going to make fun of them? NSX is a car from a different era!!!

Dtrigg may be right about the mid $40k 2002-2005 NSX being a tough find, but they do exist.

There tend to be a few 2002 or 2003 I notice advertised around mid $40k from time to time.

If anyone is interested, autotrader has a couple 2002 for mid $40k; I have not seen them in person though.

Auto trader IDs:
AT-DB45836 is a 2002 for $44k with 54k miles.
AT-DC3765F is a 2002 for $47.9k with 66k miles.

Hard to tell the future with these NSX cars. Seems to be alot of people interested in buying though when they see my car around. Then again, it's probably easier to sell here where I live in Southern California San Diego area.

Like I said before... living in a bubble.. A 2002 just sold this month IN THIS VERY FORUM for $45k. I was 2 weeks too late.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93557

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=634

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...5&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=587

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

First one although 02 with 60k....
has absolutely no carfax history since 02/24/2003 27 miles ??? and being sold by reseller
...... cant make judgment on value till you see it in person
Plus yellow is nice but not the easiest color to sell. Did you want yellow?

The second one? wow...... cheaply repaired.... beware
Has been smashed front as seen around head lights in engine compartment this car has thread dedicated to it & no vin number listed on autotrader, Assumed salvage
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100056

The 3rd one
Has an entire thread dedicated to it and has been bouncing around from dealer to dealer. None of them can get rid of it.. Seems fishy to me.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95879

Probably a waste of time here, Like I said before it cost me almost $3k just in traveling before I found mine. Thought I was gonna get a steal than decided to pay up for a nice one and never looked back.
Good luck with those........:eek:

My advice... dont waste your time trying to save $5k on a NSX.
Add up how much you make an hour times X amount of hours you spend on autotrader and traveling to go see 90% of the crap cars for sale. Thats probably gonna cost you more than the $5k or $7k diffrence it might cost you to get a nice one

Last edited:
Like I said before... living in a bubble..

You sir, are the one living in a bubble. That you presume to condescend to the members of this site about the value of the NSX is rather amusing.

But what do I know, I just moderate the marketplace. I am sure you have much greater knowledge of the NSX market than I or anyone else here.

I read this post long ago and agreed with many of the original posters that it is uncommon (but not impossible) to find a pristine or merely a well maintained and moderately cared for NSX for under $25k. That being said, I still voted maybe. If for some financial reason, I needed money fast, or other emergency, I would certainly sell her for $25k.

If I wanted to sell her, I will push closer to $30k due to the many mods I've added; however, barring any financial burdens or emergency, I will only sell my NSX to upgrade to ANOTHER NSX.

I'm perturbed by the seemingly contradictory statements of some other posters seeming to bash the NSX on so-called inadequacies, and yet, seek to own an NSX. Perhaps those of you that feel the NSX is not worth the cost that the market and current NSX owners are stating should read some of the posts in this thread where current (and former) NSX owners chime in about having driven such cars as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and the like, who still find the NSX the most desirable car. I would think this, along with the market value of the NSX, should speak highly for this car. It isn't all about zero to sixty times, quarter-mile times, magazine articles, etc. etc.

A moderately modded NSX (yes even the early models), with a competent driver behind the wheel, can do fairly well if not better, than some of the other cars that have been mentioned as a "better buy" in terms of performance than the cost of a used NSX.

There is a 91 just listed on Prime. It has 160k+ miles and a salvage title. He's asking $20k and says the ebay auction for it starts at $20k.

I was under the impression that high mileage older NSXes sell for less than $25k. And, ones with salvage titles sell for even less.

We should keep our eye on this car. If it sells for over $20k, I'd be surprised. That would seem to say to me that non-salvage title high mileage NSXes do sell for over $25k.

Thoughts?

There is a 91 just listed on Prime. It has 160k+ miles and a salvage title. He's asking $20k and says the ebay auction for it starts at $20k.

I was under the impression that high mileage older NSXes sell for less than $25k. And, ones with salvage titles sell for even less.

We should keep our eye on this car. If it sells for over $20k, I'd be surprised. That would seem to say to me that non-salvage title high mileage NSXes do sell for over $25k.

Thoughts?

This car is not typical. The sebring/ivory combination is extremely rare. I don't think this car can be used as a guide to the value of a salvage, high-mile NSX. YMMV.

You sir, are the one living in a bubble. That you presume to condescend to the members of this site about the value of the NSX is rather amusing.

But what do I know, I just moderate the marketplace. I am sure you have much greater knowledge of the NSX market than I or anyone else here.

My arguement is concerning that of the thread and I guess that I'm the antagonist since I am not an owner. I'm not trying to troll on this site, however, I am giving my unbiased opinion about what I think about the value of the car.

I have talked to many of my friends about my next car and the possiblity of it being an NSX and while many liked the car, they all thought that it was slightly over priced in todays market place.

I believe that the prices stay high with the 2002-2005 for the simple fact that there were so few built during those years. Also, just as in the S2000 community, many of the owners of NSX's have already owned one before so the group kind of recycles it's self. And I believe that since the amount of newer cars is less than older models, it is causing a bottle neck effect.

If there were 3000 NSX's sold in the US every year from 2002-2005 I am sure that the prices of the car would significantly drop.

I am going to stand firm on my $45k limit with the NSX only because I believe that I can find one that doesn't have a shady history for that price. Also, this is what I belive that the car is worth... to me.

If Honda would have sold the NSX for $50,000 back in 2005 they would have sold droves of cars. But since the car cost almost $90k, most people just looked and laughed at the price. The car was over priced then and it's over priced now. I know that it was hand made. Heck the S2000 is partially hand made.

But people aren't going to give their cars away when they feel like it's worth more. I had a really nice 2004 S2000 with over $12,000 in performance mods. I was trying to sell it and I refused to drop the price under $22,900 for the simple fact that I felt like it was worth at least that much. I could have given it away for $15k but it was just the priniciple. I had it stuck in my head what the car was worth and I wouldn't budge.

So if nobody wants to sell their NSX for less than $25k then that's fine. I don't think that the demand for this car is going to increase like the old muscle cars from the 60's did.

The muscle car's from the 60's are different because they are totally from the cars of today. They were made of metal and were made with a different philosophy of a car having brute power and no finesse.

The NSX was like the car of the future. It was light weight, nimble, and had advanced technology... for 1990. It was considered a cheap super car. But now the NSX is no longer a cheap super car. Now it's an expensive average performing car.

I'm getting kind of tired of people saying the NSX does not have the same potential as X car that is total bull.

The NSX for as little $5000 can get into type-r performance

High 12 1/4's and unmatched handling

NSX mods and weight savings

no spare -30 lb free
no eng covr -15 lb free
tool kit -15 lb free
no foot sub -10 lb free
no mats -12 lb free
sound insulation -25 lb free
-107 lb free total

Taitec Headers -13 lb $1200 +20hp
Taitec GTLW exhaust -27 lb $1200 +10hp
UNI filter $50 +3hp
battery ody 545 -20 lb $100
Prospeed chip $350 +5hp
Type-R suspension $1600/used
Type-R Chassis brakets $250
Type-R Sway bars $250

-207 lb total $5000 +37hp / 30rwhp
2803 lb weight after Reductions 91-94
305 Hp / 365rwhp with bolt-ons performance mods.

That should do 12.7 to 12.9's 's and be the correct weight the type-r suspension was designed for.
Thats Faster than any sub $70k car

Someone please correct me if I am wrong

So if you paid $30k for a 91 with 70k miles, and then Spend $5k for type-r mods for $35k No sub $70k cars can even keep up

If thats not fast enough than pay $10k for HP turbo and smoke everything on the street. thats 45k unmatched at any price level.

For $45k you can have the fastest thing on the street and eat Z06's all day
Thats still $30k less than a Z06 and no depreciation.

And if anyone thinks you can have a Supra as Fast WITH "Equal" Handling & Reliability in either one of those two stages for the same or less money please show proof.
FYI the SupraTT is 3500lbs (300lbs heavier than non-turbo) and given its FR layout would need a suspension carved out of kryptonite to compare to the NSX.

If not than goes the question would you rather have a NSX or Supra given equal performance at either level for the same price?

Last edited:
Great
Enjoy your 911......
The only one your convincing is yourself.......... and maybe your "friends"
Very sad............:frown:

Back