• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the new king of the road

White92 said:
I think price needs to be factored into the "King of the Road" title. While not defending the Z06 in anyway, it is still 5% of the price of the Bugatti.

If thats the 'king of the road' then I smell a revolution in the near future.

Re: Viper looks rediculously dated!?!

Osiris_x11 said:
Would a DownForce.biz HSC body-kit fit over the C6 Z06?!? :biggrin:

The interior's do-able, it's very similar to the Caddie XLR's one.

I'm thinking demand/resale for this gen' of the Z06 is gonna be alot greater than it's predecessor despite being in a different price strata!

Are dealers/speculators demanding a premium thus far?

norcali is reporting $30k premiums over msrp. elsewhere in the country the dealers want $5-$10k in most cases. however, many dealers are just doing msrp. typical new launch, mfg'ers marketing hype, perceived demand outstripping supply etc etc generates perceived hysteria by the dealers. you know...same shit happened with s2k when it first came out. feel sorry for the guys who bought it at $80k in new york back then.

factor x - lol...i love this post! that's a great open mind. great work on that 500hp nsx in a short timeframe.

the other guys - "the king of the road" title is meant for stock cars vs. stock cars vs. stock cars. so anyone who compares the new z06 with highly modded nsx's is off their rockers.

Factor X Motorsports said:
God bless you Len! We should have just flown you out when we did dyno pulls instead of buying one:) Here are a few links to our dyno numbers and timeslips. For the full sheets there are a few in the photos section.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2005/dyno/results.html
http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2005/0205_feat_article.shtml

We totally agree with you on the aesthetics, but the technology, price, and performance is amazing. Running the stock C6 Z06 should not be a problem since it is running in the high 11 to low 12 range. However, be very careful if you run into a boosted one, we ran the Ligenfelter 427 Twin Turbo from C&D and it gave us a run for the money. It is going to be interesting to see what these aftermarket Vette guys are going to accomplish with this monster. The motor is incredibly stout and with the right tuning it should do just fine, that of course depending upon how far you push the envelope. Be careful of the word “stretched” it could come back to haunt you! The other upside to modding these is the tranny will actually hold it if not a not so costly solution would arrive, unlike our cars that sit in our garage without a tranny really looking like timeless works of art:)

Anytime you are bored running all those inferior supercars out there, come on out to Vegas, there are many cars out here to spice things up :biggrin:

len3.8 said:
Not really a stretch , seeing that we are buying a home in Bullhead pretty soon.. I will let you guys answer that old question that has never been answered... "Who's Turbo is the greatest".. No skin off my back...:smile:
I will have to do that... Can I bring my old 71T?:biggrin:
It should be blowing, I mean running in the spring...
It's transmission can handle the boost... It's just an old car.

At least there is only one in your garage! 700rwhp is on the edge for our built trannys, although we here many promises for something greater in the future. God knows we are not going to try and R&D one! The 1,000hp mark can definitely be achieved with the motor and twin turbo set-up. It is just getting old R&Ring the trannys… We have started selling off our NSX’s to make room for something else, but who knows what it will be.

We are buying as many transmissions as we can find so we can finish our scale replica of the Eiffel tower in our shop. A few more R&P’s and gears and we are set!

Bullhead city? Are you trying to jump on the bandwagon over there, or looking to move? Wow, that would be a twist, to have another Turbo NSX out here in the Vegas area. It will be interesting to see how it pulls or stretches the competition.

Len, we already knew the answer to that question long long ago…

Drove a new plain old C6 today...I don't care what anybody says, that's
one hell of a car for $50K! At $69k for the Z06- it's a steal.....

Steve
Seattle

hmm, 4.1 0-60

i was doubting the 3.6-3.8 everyone has been touting.

Z06 = amazing car.

Would i buy it, if I were in the market for a highend sports car to drive on public roads... no.

Cars i'd buy over the Z06 for a weekend/daily driver...

Viper GTS
Viper SRT10 Coupe
Any year Acura NSX
the new SLK55 AMG
Porsche Cayman
Porsche C4S
BMW M3
Viper RT-10 (1997+)
if i can fit.... I'd take a Saturn Sky over it I think...
Audi TT

The vette doesn't do it for me. I've seen plenty already, sat in a few... I would not buy it for an everyday car, maybe...MAYBE a used C5 Convertible while I'm still young for the mid $20,000.

NOW
if I'm looking for a car for the track, a car to simply race alot...

the Z06 is hands down winner.
then a CTSC'd 97 NSX w/ mods.

Buy what you like :)

Despite all the history, the Z06 is one hell of a car. I would buy one if I had a spare bundle. Very nice car with some serious performance figures. Can't say that I like the color matched headlights with that stupid little bulb, (good obsv. by someone here) but aside from that I do like the car. Congratulations and be careful.

Cairo94507 said:
Despite all the history, the Z06 is one hell of a car. I would buy one if I had a spare bundle. Very nice car with some serious performance figures. Can't say that I like the color matched headlights with that stupid little bulb, (good obsv. by someone here) but aside from that I do like the car. Congratulations and be careful.

i hate stupid little bulb which is for the euro version apparently. guess it's required over there along with the clear side marker which required relocation of the side z06 badge. NA models don't suffer from these 2 things thank god.

jlindy said:
Dave, when are you going the FI route? I want to see what my old car can really do? :biggrin: :biggrin: I had better be the first one that gets a ride though.

hahah after i get the white smoke to go away! :biggrin:

this is interesting...the gt in the c&d runs was a preproduction prototype.

1:15.07 - C5R driver, Ron Fellows, in the C5R
1:32.13 - c&d: Ford GT (prototype)
1:32.45 - automag: Ford GT
1:32.75 - automag: C6 Z06
1:33.90 - Ron Fellows, in the C5 Z06
1:33.95 - automag: Viper SRT10
1:34.15 - c&d: Porsche GT3
1:34.19 - c&d: Ferrari 360CS

010vp.jpg

You have to say....GM has come a long way in creating this automobile. The price for the performance it dishes is incomparable in todays market. Although it took GM about 12 yrs to finally catch up to what Honda did with the NSX in it's first try back in 1990.
Even with that said....I would never trade my NSX in for a vette or for any exotic. The NSX has stood the test of time. It has plenty of accolades to make any owner proud and the engineering that was put forth for it's time is unsurpassed. Not too many cars out today can say they've had the greatest F1 driver (Senna) do the testing on their suspensions, and it clearly shows with how the NSX can still outhandle most exotics out today.
Say what you want.....Buy what you want....But don't write off the "X".....10yrs from now people will still look back and acknowledge this Honda supercar.

The prob with the nsx is lack of a update and the power sucks.

GTDyno said:
You have to say....GM has come a long way in creating this automobile. The price for the performance it dishes is incomparable in todays market. Although it took GM about 12 yrs to finally catch up to what Honda did with the NSX in it's first try back in 1990.
Even with that said....I would never trade my NSX in for a vette or for any exotic. The NSX has stood the test of time. It has plenty of accolades to make any owner proud and the engineering that was put forth for it's time is unsurpassed. Not too many cars out today can say they've had the greatest F1 driver (Senna) do the testing on their suspensions, and it clearly shows with how the NSX can still outhandle most exotics out today.
Say what you want.....Buy what you want....But don't write off the "X".....10yrs from now people will still look back and acknowledge this Honda supercar.

from the editor of "Winding Road"...

The End is Near

I’d like to predict, in advance (after-the-fact predictions being much easier but far less praiseworthy), that the new Corvette Z06 will prove to be a milestone car for the next decade. Right now you’re probably thinking. “Well that’s really going out on a limb.” Kind of like predicting cold in Siberia, it seems clear that a 427-based Corvette, with 500 hp, in a reasonably priced car, represents some sort of value milestone at least. And considering that the Z06 weighs less than 3,100 lbs., its performance is certain to be
stunning too.

But that’s not the kind of milestone I’m talking about. The milestone I’m talking about is that the new Z06 signals the end of the horsepower war. Let’s review:

1991: Dodge introduces the Viper, with 450 hp. Amazing, but crude.

1993: Porsche offers a 911 Turbo with 408 hp. Power and finesse, ja!

1999: Ferrari announces the 360 Modena with 400 hp. Still seems an impressive number. Oh, the naiveté of youth!

2001: Chevrolet brings out the Z06 with 405 hp. Power to the people!

2003: Mercedes-Benz offers the SL55 AMG, with 493 hp and 516 lb.-ft of torque. Oooooh!

2003: Dodge introduces the new Viper, also with the requisite 500 hp/500 lb.-ft. Still crude. This is starting to get boring.

2004: Mercedes-Benz, not to be outdone, introduces the SL600 and then the SL65, now peaking at 604 hp and 738 lb.-ft. of torque. But do I really care?

2005: Bugatti (maybe) actually delivers the Veyron, with 986 hp and 922 lb.-ft. of torque. Big numbers, but at $1 million, is anybody listening?

2005: Corvette Z06 delivers 500 hp in a real car for under $70k. Yes!

My point is that, sure, power could continue to rise. 0–60 times could approach 3 seconds for a whole host of cars. But how does this relate to real-world driving? Actually, it doesn’t. And I think the high-end manufacturers are going to look at the Z06 and realize that if Chevy can do that, they need to play a different game.

There are three parts to the new game. The most obvious will be fuel economy. Cars getting 8–10 mpg just won’t make sense to more and more people. As a result, manufacturers will increasingly realize that they have to market interesting cars with some eye to efficiency. This will lead to a second revolution, that of materials, in an effort to reduce weight. We recently had a chance to meet with Burt Rutan, and he made it clear that changes in materials technology were fundamental to winning the X prize for private manned space flight. The Ferrari F1 team would say the same. Some of this will cascade into street cars, so that we don’t see average vehicle weight go over 4,000 lbs. Even more important, though, will be the third revolution, which focuses ondriving dynamics over specs. That will be the big one, enabled by a realization that horsepower isn’t everything.

Bill Campbell
Editor, Winding Road

Back