• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX Regret thread

I seriously regret purchasing a set of Trunk Struts from NSXAppeal. I didn't care for the fit....a little too close to the paint for my taste.

I even more regret the fact he would not accept a return for them!

I do not regret going to my local Acura store and picking up OEM struts for $45 each.

Hi Gold,
Would yo mind detailing what you didn't like about the Eibach/Bilstein setup?

Thanks,
JP

I regret

- not having looked out for more NSXs available on the market when I bought mine
- not having started DIY only on the car earlier (started 2006)
- choosing the wrong painter (two times)
- going with the Eibach/Bilstein-setup
- not having a closed garage in the early years (1x fender-bender)
- nearly have crashed it in the early years
- not having tracked it once
- not have being able to join NSXPO
- not have being able to join NSX FIESTA
- not having picked-up this girl with those bedroom-eyes :)

But all this is compensated by the last 10 years of ownership...and still going. :wink:

Hi Gold,
Would yo mind detailing what you didn't like about the Eibach/Bilstein setup?

Thanks,
JP
Progressive springs with lower rate than stock combined with the progressive Bilsteins resulted in a less sporty behaviour than stock. Not a bad choice either and was right at the level of experience at the time I've choosen it but found out I could do better with stiffer linear springs and progressive shocks.

Great thread that has me thinking ...

I regret not owning several other cars I was curious about before jumping into my dream car the NSX. Can't bring myself to move on and hope to come back on day.

I regret buying a car with no records and fishy history that included full paint. Should have shopped more and gotten it checked out first. The savings was null when I had to put $5k in it to get it mechanically sound, now I have a perfect car, but with a story.

I regret changing out my stock exhaust for a Tubi sounding custom exhaust. It is way too loud and not quite what I thought it was.

Regret not buying my friends 2002 with 400 whp when I could have.

Regret not driving my car more. 3,000 miles in 4+ years, a shame.

Overall love the car and all the friends I have made though owning it. Makes it all worth while.

I know this one is going to be a strange thread, but I think it may actually help a lot of people from making the same mistakes.

Please post about things you have done regarding your NSX that in retrospect, were mistakes. That way others will think twice. It can be anything from a mod you didn't like, to selling something you should have kept, to a place you parked, etc.

We always talk about things we like, but what things do you regret?

I will start, I'd like to hear from others:

I sold my 2005 shift knob. This was the best feeling, most well damped knob I have ever used. It was a mistake, I want it back.

I agree about the shift knob - I have a 97' and replaced mine with an 05 knob, it made a hell of a difference!!! For all I know, my knob is from your car - as these parts circulate amongst so many here on prime. If it is your knob - YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BACK - I love it! :) Sorry

ARK Performance DT-X Quad Tip Exhaust

Looks great. Sounds great. For 5000 miles or so. :frown:

Blew the packing out of it. NSX sounds like a wet Corvette now. Going to blow every last piece of packing out of it and then replace it with a Pride...which won't be a regret.:wink:

I regret selling my 2000 CTSC NSX. Best car I ever owned. It was every NSX owner's dream car.

I watched it drive away this week, and somehow the big chunk of money in my checking account just doesn't do it justice. I guess I felt I'd never have the opportunity to recoup what I did on it in the future, and let my head prevail over my heart.

It will still be here, as the new owner is now an NSX prime member.

GOD DAMN IT! why did you have to say this? OK, im a little peaved because my car is for sale and I keep thinking "is this a mistake" "should I keep it" and then I read your biggest regret is that you sold yours?????

I don't know if I can sell mine - I have sellers remorse and I haven't even struck a deal yet. This is the best car I ever owned. It makes me happy, It makes bad days good. It feels right, its comfy -

I gotta rethink this sale asap - take this in the funniest and light hearted - - thank you and F*ck you!, simultaneously, from the bottom of my heart - Im so confused what to do! :'(

J

GOD DAMN IT! why did you have to say this? OK, im a little peaved because my car is for sale and I keep thinking "is this a mistake" "should I keep it" and then I read your biggest regret is that you sold yours?????

I don't know if I can sell mine - I have sellers remorse and I haven't even struck a deal yet. This is the best car I ever owned. It makes me happy, It makes bad days good. It feels right, its comfy -

I gotta rethink this sale asap - take this in the funniest and light hearted - - thank you and F*ck you!, simultaneously, from the bottom of my heart - Im so confused what to do! :'(

J

If you feel that way now just wait until it sells and you see one on the road... It will kill you.

If you sell it you WILL buy another. < less than a year later.

I regret not owning several other cars I was curious about before jumping into my dream car the NSX. Can't bring myself to move on and hope to come back on day.

Regret not driving my car more. 3,000 miles in 4+ years, a shame.

Once you go NSX, you can't go back...over-all package, nothing else measures up quite as well.

Not driving her is a crime!!! Shame on you. :D

why did you have to say this? OK, im a little peaved because my car is for sale and I keep thinking "is this a mistake" "should I keep it" and then I read your biggest regret is that you sold yours?????

I gotta rethink this sale asap
J

:redface: Jman, Jason, Better re-think this sale. From my point of view, you just got your NSX all sorted out and perfect for you.
I have a friend like this - he'll acquire something, get it all just right, and then he's done with it and moves it. Then he feels empty, so he again repeats the process only to "conquer it" and sell it again. Like a broken record. Heck, I've seen him buy a new car only to disassemble it piece by piece to do this/do that, eliminate squeeks/rattles, upgrade it, same outcome as he then quickly sells it (i.e. he "conquered" it).
From your posts here on Prime, you have a keeper.

Just my two cents...

Yeah - I think I gotta keep it. I'm already regretting it and I still have her! I think this thread saved me a lot of grief. Thanks guys

The yellow one, right? I remember seeing the ad thinking nice car and nice price can't believe no one bought it yet. All things considered, there are a lot worse investments out there than a discontinued never to be made again no-rust all-aluminum super rare sports car. I've seen people piss a lot more money away in the stock market. At least this car holds it's value. Nevemind the fun. Owner tend to get spoiled and forget what they have. Try buying an MB or a (non-R8) audi and see what happens to it's value. Keeping an NSX is not a wild and crazy move.

I regret that it took me 20 years to get my 1991 NSX. In late 1991, I fell in love/lust with a formula red car at an auto show in Dallas but, the $80k price tag broke my heart. In this tread I have read a lot of regret over mods. However, I specifically wanted a completely original car in the same color and interior as the car I saw so many years ago. Just like God and Honda created it. It may not be as fast as more recent cars but hey... the fun of driving it as it was designed is what appealed to me and it is still competitive with most of today's cars especially in the corners. I know two original owners of 91 NSXs (all original) who have owned and traded Ferrari, Maserati, Porcshe, Mercedes and BMW over the years and yet they keep the NSX. One guy has 300,000 mi on his. Both have had no major problems. I bought mine five months ago from the original owner with under 83,000 mi. and he had a tear in his eye when he handed me the keys. I know of no car that can create such emotion and loyalty. The car turns heads everywhere I take it. Even among the Lambo, Ferrari and Porsche owners at Coffee and Rides. I can't believe I actually own one and it was truly worth the wait. I think I appreciate the car even more. Mods are cool too but, from what I've read here there is also a down side. $$$$

PS. As a newbie to NSXPrime, I am so impressed with the info provided by you folks on this site. (I found my car here.) Thanks for participating.

welcome!......and your story is so familiar!

it took 5 years for me to get one in 1996.......15 years later i'm still in love....

Last edited:
I regret that it took me 20 years to get my 1991 NSX. In late 1991, I fell in love/lust with a formula red car at an auto show in Dallas but, the $80k price tag broke my heart.

:confused: NSX was $60k back in 91.

On the sticker. The market was hot for these cars in the first year. I happen to know that a doctor bought my car in 1990 off a waiting list for $110,000.

He said he saw it at an Autoshow in Dallas not a dealership. I know they were marked up but the stock stickers weren't that high.

Touche we'll wait for him to clear it up.

Sorry for the confusion. One of the local Dallas dealers had the car at the show and I spoke to someone that I assumed was a sales person. The sticker was $64K I think. (It was 20 years ago.) He gave me a tour of the car. He said vary few were available and I wouldn't be able to buy it for under $80K. Great sales pitch don't you think? He took my name and info but I didn't get the hardbound brochure he was going to send me. I guess the shock and disappointment was all over my face. No matter the owner of the NSX I bought gave me the sales brochure and the black hardbound Tech info & Development History book. My friend with the 300,000 mile "91" NSX told me he paid $85K for his and he had to put up $5K to be on a waiting list. Ah the old days...good times.

I was a marketer for a local company for a while and one of the doctors I regularly called on ownes a 91 berlina black. He is the original owner and he paid the high price tag for it when they first came out. He told me he got his out of Ohio for just under 110k. He is a huge car guy and tracks it every once and a while he has owned Porches a couple F cars and a lambo. He says to this day that is the only car that he has paid more then full price or full price and is still the only car that has been wirth every penny he spent to get it.

I guess the value of waiting is an 80% discount?

Great thread!

I regret not knowing that used NSXs were within my price range and buying a new 02 Mustang GT instead, only to end up buying a 91 NSX a few months later. Thankfully I did not buy a Viper instead of the NSX, as I was originally debating between the two.

I also regret not changing out the crappy Khumo tires that came with that 91 NSX. It should have been high on my to-do list.

I am so happy with my current NSXs though, so no more regrets now (except not having the $$$ to buy a third NSX! Someday!). :D

I am regretting buying a car that used to be supercharged, with no maintenance history...

FI is touchy enough. Formerly-FI is a whole other can of worms.

I am committed to this car now and will see through making it perfect, but the road ahead is long...

I am regretting buying a car that used to be supercharged, with no maintenance history...

FI is touchy enough. Formerly-FI is a whole other can of worms.

I am committed to this car now and will see through making it perfect, but the road ahead is long...

hope you get it worked out......NSX's are incredibly reliable when left unmolested....and i'm sure yours can be restored to reliability given the right tech.....

Back