• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX/Taiwan Connection

My favorite was taro flavor "ba bu". I even played the glass ball machine with the street vendor sometimes I got extra scoop if I win.

Video game was not even available. We all played glass balls, round paper cards, jumping rubber bands, ride bicycle and try to catch frogs in the streets.

Sometimes I feel sad for today's kids, they don't play outside due to safety, kid napping etc.

My god those taro flavour ba-bu's were my favourite too. I still remember trying to catch some deviated shrimp/lobster look-alikes in the ditch back in the old rural hometown. And at the end trying to blow them up with some 水鴛鴦, those firecrackers that will still blow in water, and then the neighbour's dog got pissed off by its noise and chased us down.:eek:

So why is the NSX such a popular car in the Taiwanese/American community ? Was there a big hype about it in the early nineties over in Taiwan like there was here in the States ? Are there alot of NSX's in Taiwan ?

Holy crap I went to Fu-Xing myself! Go Bears, how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I went to Fu-Xing myself too!!! I attended there till I was 6th grade and that's when I came to the States. Great to know another Prime member attended the same school as me :smile:

Till which grade did you attended Fu-Xing? I'm in my mid 30's, how about you? We should definitely get together one of these days :rolleyes:

born in taiwan, grew up in OC, now in norco lol

10897DSC00057.JPG

Norco eh? I have family there, down the street from the Circle K on 8th(6th maybe)

I went to Fu-Xing myself too!!! I attended there till I was 6th grade and that's when I came to the States. Great to know another Prime member attended the same school as me :smile:

Till which grade did you attended Fu-Xing? I'm in my mid 30's, how about you? We should definitely get together one of these days :rolleyes:

Wow, I also attended Fu-Xing until the 6th grade. I even got the buzz cut to get ready for the 7th grade but we moved to California. Do you guys remember those morning lectures, raising the flag, singing the anthem and doing the morning exercises before classes even started?

Wow, I also attended Fu-Xing until the 6th grade. I even got the buzz cut to get ready for the 7th grade but we moved to California. Do you guys remember those morning lectures, raising the flag, singing the anthem and doing the morning exercises before classes even started?

Off course dude! I was one of the drumers standing in the front! I recall we used to have those tin bento boxes and I had to bring them from the "steam room" to the classrooms on a daily basis :smile:

Where you located Go Bears?

Yes, everybody have daily choirs, and it rotates, and sometimes you go into the steam room to pick up the bento boxes. They herded us out like sheep in the morning to do the morning exercises.

I am almost 30, and I attended until I was in 3rd grade. If you are in your mid 30's, then we probably had 1-2 years of overlap, ie 1st grade adn 6th grade.

I currently live in San Jose.

Off course dude! I was one of the drumers standing in the front! I recall we used to have those tin bento boxes and I had to bring them from the "steam room" to the classrooms on a daily basis :smile:

Where you located Go Bears?

I am currently in NYC but I grew up (from the 7th grade on) in SoCal and attended college at Cal Berkeley.

It's awesome to hear about the same stories from other alums! I was in the "Ren" class and we were somewhat of a renegade class- always last in scoring. However, we were really good in one thing- the tug of war! I was on the shorter side so I was stuck in the back of the line with 4-5 others and pulling the giant rope as hard as I could. Good memories.

The not-so-good memories include: immunization-by-gun, "mr. palm, meet mr. bamboo stick (aka chalkboard pointer)", mandatory nap times during summers without AC.

Re: ...on a more cheerful note.....

And btw, don't forget to try the 香菇雞湯 at 鼎泰豐 as well, it is so good. And after having 鼎泰豐 as dinner.....

I'll be eating at 鼎泰豐 in about 45 mins. :biggrin:

I'll be eating at 鼎泰豐 in about 45 mins. :biggrin:

OMG, did you have to do that.:mad: My shot of 鼎泰豐's Xio Long Bao isn't until early Aug. Ben are you on your vacation now? Isn't it quite a bad time to visit Taiwan, considering the temperature is always around 35 degrees around this time of the year. You must be cooked! Hope you enjoyed your Xio Long Bao!

OMG, did you have to do that.:mad: My shot of 鼎泰豐's Xio Long Bao isn't until early Aug. Ben are you on your vacation now? Isn't it quite a bad time to visit Taiwan, considering the temperature is always around 35 degrees around this time of the year. You must be cooked! Hope you enjoyed your Xio Long Bao!

:biggrin:

If it's any consolation, I'm on a vegetarian/fish diet, so I didn't get the 小龍包 this time...

Our flat just finished construction last week, so I am here to help move and set up the new house. Turns out Saturday, the day that we moved, was the hottest day since I arrived. Basically, I had to keep drinking water and carried a towel to wipe off the continuously dripping beads of sweat while we moved.

I'll be here in early August for a couple days also, shoot me a PM. :)

:biggrin:

If it's any consolation, I'm on a vegetarian/fish diet, so I didn't get the 小龍包 this time...

小龍包 is made by Bruce Lee
Its 小籠包 :biggrin:

小龍包 is made by Bruce Lee
Its 小籠包 :biggrin:

Damn the resolution on my monitor..... It's so small, couldn't distinguish the 2. :tongue:

I am Vietnamese. I know there is an NSX in Viet Nam and there are lots of Vietnamese NSX owners on NSXPrime.:biggrin:

Seriously? An NSX in Vietnam? Wow...I saw very few nice cars during my three week stay (toured from Hanoi to Saigon) last year.

spotted white nsx in Taiwan, will post a pic soon. :biggrin:

Seriously? An NSX in Vietnam? Wow...I saw very few nice cars during my three week stay (toured from Hanoi to Saigon) last year.

Yes, there is a red one with a black top. Also, someone imported a yellow Garllado 7 months ago. Perhaps, and forgive me, but maybe you didn't go out enough, but in many business district in Saigon, I saw quite a few late model Mercedes', Lexus'.... May I tell you that Vietnam has had the second-fastest growing economy in Asia for quite some times now; they have constantly achieved about 7.5-8.9% grow every year. Intel, Honda, Cannon, Harley, Boeing, Microsoft... are now all in there.

Very interesting topic!

So how many here are actually "native" Taiwan? I see lots of you guys expressing thoughts.

You cannot use the American Natives as a compareson. The condition is very different. When the anglo settlers arrive to N. America, the Indians did not have a Nation, they had bunch of small tribes all of over the continent. Today, the Indians were granted their own nation, and allow to make their own laws, but they will still have to follow the US constitutin, and the Federal laws superceed the Indian laws (and state laws).

Sorry to say this, without the US backing, China would have taken it back long time ago. That is just a reality check. The US backing of the province is strictly strategical and financial. Free world nations needs those island nations to be "none" communist and Hawaii is simply too far; Japan and Philippine is just not enough.

The prosperity of Taiwan today is based on the backing of the US government because it is a called Republic of China, which is a democratic society (on paper at least). Ben is very accurate with the notion of the progress 2 generations have made. The old idea is still there, will take at least two more generations for it to go away. There is absolutely no doubt that the current government is a mess, but that is nothing new. It has been that way through out the Chinese history, or any other Asian history. I remember the day when the Government of Taiwan were mostly composed of the retired military officials after the civil war, some may call it a dictatorship, but I didn't see that, because the ordinary citizens had the rights similar to the Americans. Time goes by fast; lots of changes in just 20 years. I still remember the day Chen Sue Bien (I don’t know how to spell his name) was running for the president, and the Taiwan independent movement was one of his preached agenda, but after the election, he wouldn't mention the subject at all, because he knows better.

When I left Taiwan, the citizen ID card used to indicate the province, which the person is originated; does that still hold as of today?

Is the passport has Taiwan or ROC printed on it?

When I visited Taiwan in 1996 for the first and only time, after moving to California in 1983, most of the older people would not speak to me because I don't speak the dialog. I found that to be somewhat ridiculous. I had problems asking for directions, and I was rejected by a cab driver after I told him I'm not Taiwanese. My cousin explained to me that the “natives” were doing every thing they can to push the “none-natives” away. It was to the point that people were having problems finding jobs. I'm talking about in Taipei! I did get a good kick out of it when I saw tourist from China lining up at the Chiang Kai Shek airport. Most of them citing the visiting reason "relatives."

Don't get me wrong, but the reality of it is, as long as it is still labeled under ROC, you can't change the fact that all Taiwanese are still considered as Chinese. The intention of using the word "Taiwanese" has a different meaning then... Let's say "New Yorker, Texan, or California, etc." Until the day the province become a nation of its own, than yep, Taiwanese it is, but due to the currently political condition, I don't see that from happening... It was rather interesting to see my 3 years in Seattle during the mid-90’s, lots of my so called “Taiwanese” friends attended meetings for political fund raisers and the independence movements, and none of them would talk about it today. The voice has been expressed but few has act on it.

Politics in general is not a pretty subject. There will always be people shouting out what others want to hear to get elected, but most of us understand that it is much easier by talking than getting it done, because some thing are just not possible to accomplish during certain era.

My personal opinion however, is very different from my view on reality. I think if the Natives wants indepence, let them. Majority rules. I personally hoever, believe that Mainland China will eventually take Taiwan back, but will allow a self-governing political system (ie. Hong Kong). It is just a matter of time before that happens. And when that happens, US will have very little say so if Taiwan has no strategic and financial value. To some, it may not be a bad idea, but to others, it will be a catastrophe… I'm afraid that emotion will take over logic… Of course, I don’t have a crystal ball; I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, China will take it back, or Taiwan will be a country.

This is a tough call. For the moment however, I enjoy living here in California and even though I was born in Taiwan, my root is not. BUT it is good for people to express their opinions because that's what we do.

Last edited:
When I visited Taiwan in 1996 for the first and only time, after moving to California in 1983, most of the older people would not speak to me because I don't speak the dialog. I found that to be somewhat ridiculous. I had problems asking for directions, and I was rejected by a cab driver after I told him I'm not Taiwanese. My cousin explained to me that the “natives” were doing every thing they can to push the “none-natives” away. It was to the point that people were having problems finding jobs. I'm talking about in Taipei! I did get a good kick out of it when I saw tourist from China lining up at the Chiang Kai Shek airport. Most of them citing the visiting reason "relatives."
Vance,

In a span of 24 years, you been back once. When your family left in 1983, the bond and love for the nation may not be the same. You guys may have left out of disappointment for the country, how you are brought up also have some effect on your view as well.

Your experience is very odd one and unfortunately a bad one. Your only trip obviously have an impact/effect in your view. It is understandable. Seem like the trip back in 1996 gave you a very bad taste in your mouth. I do not speak Taiwanese in public at all period (don't be sensitive please those 台湾語 lovers, just a personal choice, not disrespecting here), althrough I speak perfectly, never been treated bad by cab driver or anyone, never ran into problem once, never had problem ordering food at food vender either. People are extremely kind. I don't think I look native either, most usually thought I am from another country.

I visit every year. I did not leave until 1990s, my experience may be quite different than your, I had a lot of positive memories and experiences there. When you left at 1983. You did not get to experience many of the postive things happened a bit later on, many of the great food for that matter. Your love obviously is not in the same degree. 7+ year span is a lot (invention of Boba Milk tea, new anime, other new things, etc). During the period the improvment was just plat out dramatic. Good and bad experiences usually have effect on someone's view later on.

Listing to someone's his say/her say (your cousin) and able to come up with a judgement not 100% based on your own experience is ridicious one imho. You usually have very strong point of view, opinon and very convinced on just about everything you believe in. Yet, sometimes you listen and use what you heard towards your arguments without actual experience.

Don't get me wrong, but the reality of it is, as long as it is still labeled under ROC, you can't change the fact that all Taiwanese are still considered as Chinese. The intention of using the word "Taiwanese" has a different meaning then... Let's say "New Yorker, Texan, or California, etc." Until the day the province become a nation of its own, than yep, Taiwanese it is, but due to the currently political condition, I don't see that from happening...
Vance,

I got you right. I know exactly what you are trying to express and convince. This thread have been around for so long, timing of your responds seems dead on. The sticker in vain above may be offensive to some. It is just a joke man, if that is what ticked you off, no need. You are borned in Taiwan as well, that apply to you as well.

The "meaning of New Yorker, Texan" example is very F-up imho in my view. That is a nation/state comparison. Reality is that nation is a nation even if Chinese don't agree. In your view it maybe ok, because your obvious stand. Too bad you are born in Taiwan not China. As much as you want to deny, your Nationality is Taiwan (ROC) and it is recogonized throughout the world. Your and my trait/ethnicity are Chinese. Yes indeed, if that is what you trying to convince, happy?. Our nation is Taiwan or America, since we are both us citizens.

Passport and ID argument is a very weird one with contradiction. Look at Chinese passport then look at a Taiwanese passport. Two Chinas wth different name (PRC and ROC). You already know China will not allow the name of Taiwan alone. China obstruct Taiwan's participating international affairs (UN, etc). Remember ROC was represented in UN at one time. Republic of China's UN seat was taken over by the People's Republic of China in 1971. Civil War split up two Chinas as two different nations. It can still have a name with "China" on it. No less a nation.

You already know Taiwan is ran as its own independant country with complete no control from China. Political power is given by the people in Taiwan, not in China, currency, Army, etc, and rest of everything. Read up on the Chinese Civil War between KMT and CPC. It is not Taiwanese couldn't do it. China will not allow it with obvious reasons. In my view Mainland China is part of this side of China (Taiwan):biggrin:. It is cool to have our own view and our view have no impact nore ability to change things.

If there is choice and freedom, in my view Taiwan should be independent. It technically have been for decades, no one can deny that. Not same situation as Hong Kong. The Chinese ethnicity remain the same. Respecting each ohter regardless of the view is very important.

This is I read/I hear, not personal experience, most likely wrong. At one time the military were equal. Taiwan had the chance of making a come back during Korean war and take back China. US did not allow it with intervention in the Taiwan Straits. I know you watch history channel, not a joke. Is the above true?

My impression of native when I was growing up was the 山地人, everyone else is the same to me. Never once I felt any different. In my view you are a Taiwanese with Chinese ethnicity. We are all the same. It is our trait/ethnicity. Last time I checked a lot of people from many Southeast Asian countries still call themselves Chinese. You can't change the ethnicity. In conclusion, if I put myself in your position based on your own personal experience, I totally agree with you. If you put yourself in my position with my experience, you will understand my view. Neither one of our view meant any harm or impact for anyone.

Calling ourselves Taiwanese or not. It is a personal freedom and a national pride. If you have no feeling for Taiwan you don't understand. I know sometimes people just uncontrollably "Guan"太多, but meant no harm. To my Japanese friends I say this "オレは台湾出身アメリカ国籍です”, they see Taiwan as a nation, no further explaination necessary ever. I can guarantee you that if I said I am 中国出身, they will be afraid with caution. You can call yourself a Chinese, American or anything you want. It is outside of my business. Others have freedoms as well regardless of your point of view.

Jason, some times one bad experience is all you need to make a decision. My experience wasn’t as bad as you made it out to be. I enjoyed my stay (about two months) and I love the street vender style food. My cousin is a high-ranking official in Taiwan Bank, and he has a very good point. I actually do agree with you regarding if Taiwan can be a nation of its own, they should do it. The issue was that, I was there during the height of the independence movement, and the hype is in the way of logic - As I have indicated in the past, emotion often takes over logic. You don't see that today, but the reminisce remains. Not every one in Taiwan want a island country to be a its own nation. Part of the reason has to do with the mess with the internal politics. When was last time you saw a congressman jump over the table/divider/bench to punch another during a meeting - on national TV?

Please explain to me the "Pride" of being a Taiwanese? Does Taiwanese has their own writting? Their own language? What's behind this so called pride other than the post cold war politicians that is not longer in power, and the current generation of politicians are assembled mostly the Natives? The scenario I used from the last post would have made more sense if "Taiwanese" is prideful similar to "New Yorker," than that makes a lot of sense for me, because even though each nation has its own culture, but each region (Province/State) can have its own sub-culture.

As for two nations... To be politically correct - One nation, under two political system.

My old man used to talk about politics with his buddies. They often made fun of the Communist government... If they never changed the flag, Taiwan (ROC) would never even exist as a separate nation. BUT... They did. Contradiction is a cruel way to make fun of any nation. I believe both PRC and ROC have the same guy as the founding father in their school's text book, am I correct?

The scenario is not much different between E/W Germany, N/S Korea; the only difference is China has a much larger landmass than Taiwan, and China has a much greater military strength. Imagine during the cold war that each side of Germany or Korea wants to be a nation of its own, the UN will never allow that to happen. The cold war has been over for two decades, the concept still remains.

Some how, I believe this situation will not last long. A lot has changed within the last 24 years (since my move to the US) it may seem like a long time, but it is really not. I wouldn't be surprise within the next 24 years; the "two" China will merge. I don't see the merger result from a war, but mutual agreement. Communism is one of the reason why US is "protecting" Taiwan, when China completes its transition from Communism/Socialism to Capitalism, I don't see how the US can make an argument for the merger from happening. "Made" in Taiwan labels has been nothting but disapearing; therefore, the economic incentives between US and Taiwan are also shrinking.

Lots of people have been making comments regarding the current PRC president; about how clever he is and how big the impact he will make regarding future changes for China. The next generation of Chinese politicians will only make things better, and make the transision easier. After all, Capitalism works.

Last edited:
To some, it may not be a bad idea, but to others, it will be a catastrophe… I'm afraid that emotion will take over logic… Of course, I don’t have a crystal ball; I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, China will take it back, or Taiwan will be a country.
Vance,
You edited it quite a bit since last night. I too edited this one quite a bit. IMHO as long as it is peaceful, either way is fine. It most likely end up like you said above. That would had took place either way long ago, but US wouldn't allow it.

I know you well, you are not a bad person, but you will call people stupid behind them when not seeing eye to eye, bottom line. I am pretty sure you have called me stupid before, just because I said I am a Taiwanese or my view. Can you lie to your soul?

I have no problem with your view and position at all. What I have problem with is that I am not allowed to have my own view and be respected. These are issues that don't effect our everyday life, when you can understand everyone have some "sense of pride". Everything is easy to understand. You are one of the two person I have encountered in my life that I have to go beyond than just saying I am a "Taiwanese" and actually have to explain it. My friends from mainland all know well enough to know what is nice to say what is not, what is topic to avoid, etc, many also consider Taiwan as a country, although they do prefer it is China.

The political mess you mentioned are same mess many countries have. Despite ugly part of that that, feeling of freedom living in Taiwan and US are the same, at least I couldn't tell the difference.

Please explain to me the "Pride" of being a Taiwanese? Does Taiwanese has their own writting? Their own language?
What kind of question is that? are you just trying to flat out argue? Does Singapore have its own language? You already know Taiwan is ran as its own nation or two political system as what you call it. Most of the world know. It can't declare the name independence for obvious reasons. Technically it already had been independent for years.

I know you too well bro. You love saying you know this person this and that, what you herad from him/her, he/she is this and that. Use what you heared form him/her it in your arguments. Not your actual experience.

There are many reasons I can think of:
-Your parent's position obviously have huge effect on you.
-Your experience in Taiwan whatever you claim have effect on you.
-1 trip back in 23 years. Parents don't live there. Usually I heard from him/her deal.
-A lot of your thoughts are based on some of your negative experiences. Based on our close friendship and my understanding of your personality. There are negative things that did effect your feelings. Although you claimed it is not as negative as I made it out to be. Only you know, this is a argument situation. From my best understanding of you, it is never 100% unbiased.

Do you speak 上海話 well? Don't get mad if you go to Shanghai and and get same bad experience or not fit in because you don't speak their 上海話. Regarding using root for reasoning. Your parents/grand parents may be from elsewhere, so is everyone else. A lot of people are not only 外/内 provindence mixed, also multiple culture/ethnic mixed. Just because part of my root is not Chinese or Taiwanese. I am still borned in Taiwan, the country or province in your opinion.

"Made" in Taiwan labels has been nothting but disapearing; therefore, the economic incentives between US and Taiwan are also shrinking.
Vance,
You have common sense, you already know why "made" in Taiwan labels have been shrinking. It is called cheaper labor elsewhere, ever wonder what happen to all the goods used to be made in "America" several decades ago?, who keep the profit?

Economic incentives is not the only thing you had mentioned in your post. Didn't you mentioned the Island deal/stability (Hawaii too far, etc)?. These are reasons for current situation. Incentives goes to whom? 誰吸中国と台湾人の血?/誰が中国と台湾人の血を吸うんだ? In this world no free lunch right?

Last edited:
Back