• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2019 F1 Thread

Seb got screwed. Try driving over grass at 100 MPH +, plus cornering and see if lifting would be fine.... good luch. Look back at the 2016 Spanish GOP when Nico blocked Lewis, forcing him into the grass. Lewis car took both drivers out and Max end up winning. Seb was nice to tell the "fans" not to boo Lewis.

I am a fan of lewis’s driving but Seb was robbed of his victory. I say this as an ex pro open wheel racer. It was not a punishable mistake or an intentional act, it was a racing incident like many that happen over the course of a race.

Last edited:
I can't make my mind up and we may never know for sure. Seb argues that he was out of control, but it did look very controlled 'out of control'... I'm swaying more towards it being an intentional block.
Could Ferrari prove their innocence if they submitted the telemetry?

He is pretty passionate. He was fairly mature about it, despite the bitter disappointment. He didn't have to chastise the crowd for booing Hamilton, and didn't appear frustrated at Hamilton.
For sure, I really enjoyed listening to what he had to say at the post race conference. And how he said it. But all this immaturity immidiately after the race I think it's something one wouldn't attribute to a world champion. I think it was cheap, would have been much better to behave like a grown-up. I don't support the steward's decision by the way.

I am a fan of lewis’s driving but Seb was robbed of his victory. I say this as an ex pro open wheel racer. It was not a punishable mistake or an intentional act, it was a racing incident like many that happen over the course of a race.

Your Avitar: 1979 or 1980(ish) CART car?

For sure, I really enjoyed listening to what he had to say at the post race conference. And how he said it. But all this immaturity immidiately after the race I think it's something one wouldn't attribute to a world champion. I think it was cheap, would have been much better to behave like a grown-up. I don't support the steward's decision by the way.

Parking his car at the pit entrance? Or swapping the 1 and 2 signs? Or both or something else? I turned off the radio before the end. And watched a little bit in fast forward.

Parking his car at the pit entrance? Or swapping the 1 and 2 signs? Or both or something else? I turned off the radio before the end. And watched a little bit in fast forward.
Yeah, both. Just not something I think he should have done.

Autosport has an article stating that the stewards reached their decision because the telemetry showed a distinct move to the right after VET caught his slide.

Yup, that is what I read as well...

Vetttel always crack when under PRESSURE.....Go back over the years and you can count at least 10 times that he did Stupid Stuff....Starting from his days at Red Bull.

Bram

Your Avitar: 1979 or 1980(ish) CART car?

I wish! No this is the rear of my Formula Toyota Atlantic (1991). I was always amazed how wide a wheel/tire we could run in the back (15” wide rim)!

Last edited:
Always is a pretty strong statement.

He has made mistakes, but he isn’t Fat John!

Agree. I am not a big fan but the guy is a multiple world champ after all. You dont get there without dealing with a lot of pressure!

Last edited:
Villeneuve had an interesting point. Some laps before, Riccardo blocked the other Merc driver (what was his name?) at over 300. No investigation, no penalty.

Yes, in the cockpit view, you could see that Vettel was steering to the right but I guess just to reach the clear track as fast as possible. While doing so HAM was still a few meters behind. Lewis knew what was coming, why didn't he choose the inside of the track? Because it was dirty.

We seem to have this season
- Merc tires
- Merc rules
- Merc ...

He has made mistakes, but he isn’t Fat John!

Perhaps you are correct, but going back you can see where he make's mistakes under pressure.

Leading the race 2011 for Red Bull, and lost it in front of our Grand stand, to give Button the Win in Canada....Juts one Eg.

Who is Fat John?

Bram

Perhaps you are correct, but going back you can see where he make's mistakes under pressure.

Leading the race 2011 for Red Bull, and lost it in front of our Grand stand, to give Button the Win in Canada....Juts one Eg.

Who is Fat John?

Bram

That was the flooded race that was interrupted for 3 hours or so. He is no Ayrton of course.
(i was there but watched the second part from my hotel room.you must have been soaked !)

Honda announced Spec 3 in France in two weeks. Specs 4 should follow in Monza.

He certainly has such a tendency, if you listen to some of his current podcasts you can spot this to be the case.

Been away for a bit, finally got caught up on this thread.

RIP Charlie Whiting and Niki Lauda and Harry Shaw (Lewis' "spirit angel").

The five consecutive 1-2s was pretty amazing even though it meant the championship has been very one-sided.

Mercedes domination not just down to them being the fastest, but also always trying to maximize/capitalize on what they have. They truly are a well-oiled machine.

Ferrari definitely dropped the ball in the first few races and now it seems their drivers are cracking a bit.

Honda PU has been quite impressive so far.

Max is showing good/consistent form. Hopefully Gasly can eventually get up to speed.

Toro Rosso race performances have been encouraging even if their qualifying isn't quite there.

The rookies are all doing quite well.

Overall, the season has been interesting to follow, with all the different ups/downs and side stories from race to race. (also probably because I'm a relative newcomer to the sport)
(Valtteri 2.0 with his beard/porridge/espresso, Leclerc's triumph and heartbreak in one weekend at Bahrain, Mercedes' picture-perfect double-stack in China, the pursuit of fastest lap points, exploding manhole covers, groundhogs, pitlane clashes, the tributes to Niki during Monaco, etc.)

Drive to Survive was a fun watch (Guenther Steiner is savage in it, lol). Still trying to find the time to watch Amazon's Grand Prix Driver (McLaren in 2017).

Back