• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2020 F1 Thread

Sorry to hear but not unexpected that someone pulled the plug. Overly high engineered hybrid engine, too expensive.

Honda won Imola....That was enough...I think Ferrari is not sad about it...

Am I the only one amazed that Hass is staying in F1...although Gene did lesson his risk...

Hamilton ties Schu for all time victories. I have grown up watching Prost, Senna, Schu, and Hamilton. I don’t know why but Hamilton seems the least of these 4. Interesting commentary by Jackie Stewart. The sport, and drivers have changed so much over the 70 years of F1. I do believe JM Fangio is the GOAT, but comparisons are not truly possible.

I happen to have watched the same guys, (I go back further to 1967 and Jim Clark). I must say the more I watch Lewis deal with new circumstances and new scenarios, the more I admire him. Of course we always have more fondness for the ones that are gone.

On another note, back in June 1984, during our annual BMW event at the Ring, some of us were asked on the last day to lap the new F1 track that had just been finished, to so call settle the surface before the first few pro races. The track has a great flow and at the time was linked to the Nordschleife (its last turn put you onto the front straight of the new track.), so you could do both tracks in one lap. Exhausting but great memories.

Hamilton ties Schu for all time victories. I have grown up watching Prost, Senna, Schu, and Hamilton. I don’t know why but Hamilton seems the least of these 4. Interesting commentary by Jackie Stewart. The sport, and drivers have changed so much over the 70 years of F1. I do believe JM Fangio is the GOAT, but comparisons are not truly possible.

I saw my first sports car race in 1954 in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco (I rode over on my bike, my parents were pissed when they found out). I've paid close attention to F1 over the years and I give Hamilton the top prize (just ahead of Prost).
Congrats Lewis, and keep on keepin' on.
H-

Yes, I agreed Lewis is Top compared to all the F1 Drivers within the last 25 Years, that I have been watching F1 races.

He is going to break all the records and set new one, that will be difficult to replicate or meet.

Bram

Yes, I agreed Lewis is Top compared to all the F1 Drivers within the last 25 Years, that I have been watching F1 races.

He is going to break all the records and set new one, that will be difficult to replicate or meet.

Bram
We said the same about Schu, and when Senna has all his pole positions. The sport does evolve. I think about tennis and when a pro was washed up at 25.

Why would racing point not put stoffel in the car for practice 3 and race,,,instead calling up hulk at the 12 hour?....no ricky shoey....

As we talk about Lewis he is for sure today one of fastest drivers on grid .But I like to see him drive less competitive car so we can see how good is really .
All reminde me of Sebs era with RB and all that 4WD titles.
Still I think Lewis ,Max and Fernando are top class, probably also near Daniel R.
Today number of WDC's dont really show real picture as always you need good team and fastest car.

We said the same about Schu, and when Senna has all his pole positions. The sport does evolve. I think about tennis and when a pro was washed up at 25.

I agree that F1 has evolved over the years, and skills in the 60'-70"s were different, to those in the 80-90's, and again in the 2000's.
But a WC in any one of these eras should be considered an exceptional feat in it's own right.

Bram

It is official Hass going with 2 new drivers for next year..and stroll got the corona

I watch these kids drive now and they have computers that shift the car, computers that control the engine power, computers that track every detail of the car and a team of like 50 people all sitting at computers feeding them information. It's not so much racing anymore as a space exploration mission...or a video game. A lot of the young drivers now go from karting straight into the F3000 and F2 feeder programs. It used to be that in order to be qualified to drive a F1 car, which was so hard to drive that it would kill you if you made a mistake, a driver would have to have a huge library of prior skill development in sports cars, rallies, motorcycles and other open-wheel racing to even be able to control the thing. They truly were elite drivers, who were fast in anything. My favorite driver using this metric is Mario Andretti. No matter what he was driving, Mario was always able to run at the highest limits. I put Rudolph Caracciola, Sterling Moss, Fangio, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Dan Gurney, John Surtees, A.J. Foyt, Senna, Alonso and Raikkonen in that bucket, and find it difficult to say who is better amongst them. If pushed, I would say Jim Clark was the best driver ever.

The best example of this is a video I just watched with Kimi and Antonio Giovanazzi driving around the Ring in an Alfa Romeo. Kimi was driving at nearly top speed, yet he looked like I do when I'm cruising down the highway in my F-150. Totally relaxed, in control and having an easy conversation ... at 150 mph on an undulating, wet racetrack with no runoff. Giovanazzi- a modern F1 driver- was visibly scared out of his wits. You could see he was uncomfortable being untethered from his 50-person safety blanket and specialized F1 car set up just for him an a nice, wide track with plenty of runoff in all directions. This tells you all you need to know about a real, elite driver. Can you imagine A.J. Foyt or Senna acting like that? They would be smiling and laughing and giving Kimi s#$t for not going faster. Makes me wonder if the best days of auto racing are already behind us...

Edit: found it.

Last edited:
Isn't the Portugal track wonderful!?! Really would like to drive it. Sort of a cross between Circuit of the Americas, Sears Point and Laguna Seca.
H-

well this season tests the drivers a little more with some new tracks. Lewis really has the touch to make the tires last.

Back