• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The one mod, besides force induction, than can give u the most low end power?

I've seen the dyno chart on an NSX before and after an aftermarket exhaust installation. After the exhaust is installed, it looks like the NSX lost low end grunt but gained peak horsepower and high end power. If u were to do 1 mod and 1 mod only, what would be the one that would increase the most low end power (excluding forced induction or NOS)? I was leaning towards a header, but would like some input from the pros out there.

Low, medium or high end power - if you want more of all go to a driving school. This is easily the most cost-effective mod you can make!

I've actually been to driving school before, and have a friend that is an instructor at Bondurant. Driving school teaches you more of control, and understaning the limits of ur car more than going fast. In my case, living ontop of a hill and having to drive uphill everyday is tiresome. Sometimes I think to myself, I wish I can have more power, especially when the speed limit is fairly low, and my NSX being an automatic doesn't help either. No amount of driving skill is going to help me wishing my car had more power going uphill. With my car being an automatic I do most of my driving at the lower RPM ranges so high end power is not what I need! Driving skill is not what I need either.

With my car being an automatic I do most of my driving at the lower RPM ranges so high end power is not what I need!

Two words: brake torque!
smile.gif

(sorry, can't resist)

How high is your house on top of the hill?
If the elevation is high enough, the air will be a lot thinner and the engine will get bogged down. When we went on a drive in Malibu Canyon with a customer who just had a Comptech Supercharger installed, it was getting less power than typical installs. It was because he was at 2500-3000 feet above sea level. After a change in the timing, it was running much better.

Originally posted by RyRy210:
I've actually been to driving school before, and have a friend that is an instructor at Bondurant. Driving school teaches you more of control, and understaning the limits of ur car more than going fast. In my case, living ontop of a hill and having to drive uphill everyday is tiresome. Sometimes I think to myself, I wish I can have more power, especially when the speed limit is fairly low, and my NSX being an automatic doesn't help either. No amount of driving skill is going to help me wishing my car had more power going uphill. With my car being an automatic I do most of my driving at the lower RPM ranges so high end power is not what I need! Driving skill is not what I need either.

Originally posted by RyRy210:
If u were to do 1 mod and 1 mod only, what would be the one that would increase the most low end power (excluding forced induction or NOS)?

A trade-in for a manual transmission car. It gives you more power and better gearing.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
A trade-in for a manual transmission car. It gives you more power and better gearing.

Haha.. I knew someone was going to say that. Frankly, if I really wanted a manual car I would've gotten a manual car to begin with. I love my auto, and I think this question that I have can apply to manuals as well. What one mod will give you more power without sacraficing low end power? I mean, "none" could be the answer u know. I'm just curious if anyone knows.

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 09 May 2002).]

I'm about to do what everyone else is...and sidestep the answer you are looking for. Mainly cause I don't know for sure...but if I were to wager a guess I would say headers...???

Anyway...it's better than ripping you and avoiding the question.
wink.gif
Come on guys...you're making me laugh ^_^...someone answer him...it's interesting to know

Trade-in on a Viper , or buy a house in the valley.
biggrin.gif
. Sorry - I couldn't resist.

(BTW - I wouldn't trade my NSX for a Viper)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 09 May 2002).]

Since you have an auto, you have the option of looking into an upgraded torque converter. There are some companies in Japan that make a torque converter for the NSX.
It will make a considerable difference in low end, low RPM acceleration.
There is always a tradeoff. Look into torque converters for Vettes and Mustangs and do some reading on them unless you already know all the pros and cons.
If you're talking about driving up the hill, nothing outside of a lot more power is going to beat a good torque converter.

That being said, also look into the details of the NSX specific ones. I know it's a huge difference on a Vette, but have no clue on the specifics of the one for the NSX. I think Advance makes one. Have a friend that speaks Japanese?
smile.gif

Oh... and it will hurt your mileage.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 09 May 2002).]

Since intake, or exhaust, or headers are designed to increase air flow through the system (engine), you will most likely sustain or possibly loose low end torque with any one or all of these mods at low rpm's "low air flow". These mods are tuned for power at high RPM where the enging can breeth freely. Have you look at the specs on possibly ECU upgrade like a chip?

You might want to consider a R&P swap.

A 4.55 will help your low-end power and acceleration situation.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
You might want to consider a R&P swap.

A 4.55 will help your low-end power and acceleration situation.

I don't know if you can swap a 4.55 R&P into an automatic, but even if you can, it won't make much of a difference. The stock final drive gear ratio on the automatic is 4.428.

BTW, don't forget that Mark Basch advises against any significant power upgrades to the automatic. He has seen several automatic transmissions destroyed as a result.

Hmmm...a 4.43 rear gear. I wonder if you can swap that into a manual transmission car? Perhaps the ring and pinion are of a different design? If it would fit it might be a nice compromise ratio for those who think that the 4.55's are too low.

Anyway, that helps to explains why my automatic felt just as fast (if not a tad faster) off the line and during low speed acceleration than my manual.

The torque multiplication from the converter and the lower rear drive ratio obviously makes up for the lower horsepower of the automatic cars.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
The torque multiplication from the converter and the lower rear drive ratio obviously makes up for the lower horsepower of the automatic cars.

Not really (although it's possible that they create the perception that they do). In testing, the automatics generally were slower than the five-speeds by about half a second 0-60.

The gear ratios for the automatic are included in the FAQ. The ratios for the first three gears fell in the intervals between those for the first four gears of the five-speed, and the ratio for the automatic fourth is taller than that of fifth. When you adjust for the shorter R&P, the net is that the overall gearing in each of the four gears of the automatic is similar to the five-speed first, the five-speed second, the five-speed in between third and fourth, and the five-speed fifth.

An upgraded torque converter in the auto will effectively yield similar results to upgrading to a 4.55 in the manual. I only assume that the company selling the converter for an NSX (Advance) are aware of other upgrades necessary to the tranny. It seems like Cybernation has a lot of connections with various NSX tuners in Japan and would be able to look into it for you. I know it exists as it's in the Advance advertisement in Hyperrev 32.

Back