• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Phoenix is about to rise from the ashes

I like the color ideas Drifter �� I’m definitely going against the grain of keeping the car original.
The roof structure appears to be original and damage/repair free which makes me think something dented the center of the aluminum roof skin enough that it was easier to put a new skin rather then repair the dent in the original skin.
The car has a slight burnt smell to it but no Tuna lucky LOL

That Nouvelle Blue Pearl is a really nice color to. My favorite color is Nagaro Blue is an Audi color it’s got really nice Pearl affect very similar to the Nouvello blue. I would go flashy if you are doing a full color change.

Last edited:
I saw these pictures online of lime green, which have made me torn on going white or green. I realize that NSX-R came in this color as special order and white. Hopefully its ok to post these pictures as they are not mine.

Last edited:
That green looks awesome in person. There is a local guy in NY that painted his that color it looks really nice. He’s a member here or was. I think white is just the Go to NSXR look. I think it hides the lines of the car. The pearlescent white “championship white” looks better but I still think it hides a lot.

Last edited:
I vote green. It's a truly striking and beautiful color for the NSX. Shows off the lines very nicely and is a cool conversation piece too. The pearls in the JDM Type-S colors just glow in the sunlight. It's awesome.

green/ black roof.....

Drifters idea of going a vibrant color instead of standard NSX-R theme had me searching for a suitable color. Stumbling on Chris’s has inspired me that I can pull it off and still keep the car clean looking. The hard part for me is growing up wanting an NSX-R in championship white one day. The kid in me says white... on the flip side of the coin that conversion has been done countless times at this point.
None of this color changing was on the table when I started this project LOL. I was thinking a front conversation and a few aero bolt-ons. Then I found out Downforce was coming out with factory looking wide body rear fender set to match the fronts they make. As I’m a fan of the original lines of the NSX.
The final nail was the roof fiasco which now requires paint. I might as well color change the car as red was never my first choice.
Now I just need to make up my mind and pull the trigger.
Thank you guys for all the input. Prime is a great resource to have.

Drifters idea of going a vibrant color instead of standard NSX-R theme had me searching for a suitable color. Stumbling on Chris’s has inspired me that I can pull it off and still keep the car clean looking. The hard part for me is growing up wanting an NSX-R in championship white one day. The kid in me says white... on the flip side of the coin that conversion has been done countless times at this point.
None of this color changing was on the table when I started this project LOL. I was thinking a front conversation and a few aero bolt-ons. Then I found out Downforce was coming out with factory looking wide body rear fender set to match the fronts they make. As I’m a fan of the original lines of the NSX.
The final nail was the roof fiasco which now requires paint. I might as well color change the car as red was never my first choice.
Now I just need to make up my mind and pull the trigger.
Thank you guys for all the input. Prime is a great resource to have.

All great things to be thinking about. I'll just say that the further from OEM you drift, the worse it tends to look when viewed through the lens of time. I too wanted a Champ White conversion since like 2007. I ended up here:

ACtC-3eby9WBOkgKG6vLkdQWtjThvIgGQGv3zziC08DZRQUh7y1KS9ohG4P-oJoewLqtR8VKzb9ADl-VCtNWCtpAj260WOW_IV_m-5ebPX6-mgJHl0K12r5mjcsQL7U6stOqfY1zZubAhA9fuGbzhnFCVTKK=w1280-h960-no

Honcho your car has really come a long way and is looking amazing. It’s the main reason I’m not considering orange as you have already have that color conversion on lock.
Luckily my car is pretty torn apart at this point although I am a bit worried how much time it will add to the project painting all the jams along with taking apart the front trunk area to paint.
Patience is a virtue ...

Honcho your car has really come a long way and is looking amazing. It’s the main reason I’m not considering orange as you have already have that color conversion on lock.
Luckily my car is pretty torn apart at this point although I am a bit worried how much time it will add to the project painting all the jams along with taking apart the front trunk area to paint.
Patience is a virtue ...

It's an involved process for sure. Because you have a red car like me, you also need to do the engine bay. I went with black because I'm using the Type-S/R engine cover. If you're sticking with the Acura engine cover, I would just do body color to save cost (your painter doesn't have to mix an additional color). If you were starting with a fully-assembled, pristine NSX, I would advise against a color change. But, since it's torn down this far already, this is going to be your best opportunity to do it.

Today my pop and I worked on the NSX once again.

I decided to replace the burned shift cables with a used set I bought online. At the same time I replaced the rear parking brake cables.

The previous owner had cut the parking brake cables as he did not not have a parking brake installed with the BBK and did not see a need to retain the cables.
Fortunately the parking brake cables are one of the few items that can be purchased new for around $100.
While I was working on the cables my dad was removing the front lower aluminum radiator tube that runs under the front subframe.
The previous owner had cut the first few inches off the tube for easier access to weld a port on the tube. He then reattached it with a coupling.
As I’m not a fan of couplings, we are going to tig weld the front of the tube back on and eliminate the coupling so there is less chance for failure down the road.

We also had time to install a set of toe links and tie rods which I purchased from a Australian vendor on eBay. The machine work and finish were great. An easy install.

The garage kite side vents I ordered arrived from Mita Japan. We went ahead and test fit them on the car. They look amazing and fit nearly like an OEM part.

Lastly before the end of the day, I had to roll the car outside the shop for the first time to see how it was looking in the sun.

All I can say is wow ... I’m very happy with the progress. It is starting to look how I have always envisioned the perfect NSX in my mind.

The one thing that I will be selling is my Route KS snorkel with lexan hatch. It does not work with the lines of my car unfortunately. It really needs to be on a wide body car to work. I’m sticking with the factory glass hatch.

While working working on the car and speaking to my pop about a color change as we have done several over the years. He advised me not too this time as I want the car ready by summer. Unfortunately he does not have the time to fully disassemble the car in my timeline and nor do I.
I’ve decided to stick to my plan of keeping it red but I will be vinyl wrapping it in a statin brushed aluminum red to make it stand out.

Last edited:
Red and Black looks good to it will look good with the 02 style front end. I agree about the snorkels I don’t even like them on wide bodies. The SOS one with the smaller scoop look a lil better IMO but that’s just because you see it less. I don’t see the point of adding that if it’s not functional. Aesthetically I think they look goofy like an after thought to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Finally working on my car again…. I decided to pick it up from my pops shop in Cali since I did not have time this past year to work on it enough as it’s a 2.5 hour drive each way for me.
I did end up installing the new Downforce OEM style widebody rear quarter panels on the car. I also sold my OG Volk 17/18 setup and purchased aggressive 18/19 wheel package instead. 18x9.5+40 and 19x10.5+22
I had the billet adapters made for my Billet Project Mu calipers from a 350z kit I had while using rotors that came with my brembo calipers my car.
Science Of Speed has been working on my engine in the meantime. I’m hoping I get the the block shipped back out to me next week so I can start the reassembly process.
I’ve ordered and received a ton of engine, suspension,and carbon interior/exterior parts over the last year so I’m ready to assemble it.
The next challenge will be getting my car in my garage tomorrow as is parked on the street and my driveway is crazy aggressive up a hill….
Anyway lots of updates coming soon as I’m over looking at the car and ready to assemble and finally drive it.
Andrew

Great progress! I'm still rooting for Lime Green Metallic, but I just saw a post on FB with a Suzuka Blue (S2000 color) on a NSX. It's the hotness with a black roof. Something to consider...

aesthetically speaking, I always liked the slimness of the project mu calipers...

I'm also a green fan..:wink:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I’m still thinking Green, my biggest issue are the paint shops up here in Oregon want to charge me close to 20k for a color change…. I’m still looking for a good value vs work at the moment on that front.

I was able to finally get the car home. Luckily with the use a of a custom harbor freight winch setup and a Chinese go jacks I was able to maneuver it into the garage.

Now I need to buy more shelving for all the parts I brought home from the shop. Luckily my lady is out of town for the week. She is not able to see all the boxes of parts stacked in the garage which I have been collecting over the years LOL.

Last edited:
This is great- from the pics I can tell you're definitely one of us. )

The way to cut the paint work cost in half is to deliver them the bare chassis and panels off the car. It's how I did it- my shop said the job would have been 20-25k if they had to take the car apart and put it back together. I got it down to 9500 by doing the work myself. All I paid for was really just surface prep, materials and labor.

Honcho I definitely bleed Honda at the end of the day LOL. I finally organized all my parts and added shelving. I still have one more trip worth of parts to pick up in Cali when I have a chance. Hopefully I can make some progress this weekend on the car if all goes well.
Unfortunately this week I’m ripping out carpet in 2 bedrooms in the house during my free time instead working on the car. The things we do to make are loved ones happy….

Last edited:
I picked up my rear Lotus Brembo calipers from powder coating. I had them match the Project Mu anodized green the best they could using a two step process. Shot with a silver base and a tinted green clean powder.
I also had them powder coat my oil pan which I picked up from Shad at Driving Ambition. It came with a baffle and -10AN welded on for my turbo Kit.
My plan is to assemble and install the calipers sometime this weekend front and rear.

Back