• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Throttle cable snapped!!! HELP.....

Hello prime members...
So yesterday, I was trying to pull the car out of storage, got the car started and was about to pull out until my gas pedal fell to the floor! Opened the engine compartment and noticed that the throttle cable was snapped right by the throttle body inside that rubber boot... I went to home depot bought some parts and did a temp fix... Called the acura dealership and they said they were discontinued throughout the United States! Has anyone had this problem? Can cables from home depot somehow be rigged to fix this problem?
Thanks guys! Help is deeply appreciated...

I checked the US and ran a dealer locate, and came up dry. The part number is:

17910-SL0-A02 / WIRE, THROTTLE

You might for the heck of it try a Canadian dealership, as their parts systems aren't linked with ours....

I just check Del Ray Acura in Florida and it is in stock. Below is the link but if that doesn't work google "del ray acura OEM parts" and copy and past the previous posters part number into the part # search bar and there you have it brand spakin new wire cable for $66.20. By the way I have ordered almost my OEM parts from them and have had nothing but great experiences.

Hope this helps.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...radiobutton=radiobutton&catcgry1=&inputstate=

Just curious - does discontinued from the U.S. mean it is no longer stocked here in the U.S. or does it mean that Acura will no longer supply that part at all? Since the car can't be driven without a throttle cable, it does not bode well for our ability to keep our cars on the road in the future if Acura has indeed discontinued this part number. Unfortunately my experience with Japanese manufacturers in the past has been that they do not continue to supply parts for long gone models like the German manufacturers do which inevitably hurts the value of Japanese cars as collectors items.

I just check Del Ray Acura in Florida and it is in stock. Below is the link but if that doesn't work google "del ray acura OEM parts" and copy and past the previous posters part number into the part # search bar and there you have it brand spakin new wire cable for $66.20. By the way I have ordered almost my OEM parts from them and have had nothing but great experiences.

Hope this helps.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...radiobutton=radiobutton&catcgry1=&inputstate=

Its listed but I called to make sure they had it in stock and they didn't. They then checked if anyone had it here and nope, none. Thx though

This can potentially be a big problem. How can it be that there are no longer any throttle cables in North America. To render a car useless just because a $70 part is no longer available is insane. However, I would think that any generic throttle cable would work as long as it can reach the TB.

Maybe SOS or Dali should consider fabricating one.

How long is the NSX throttle cable? There isn't anything special about it that you couldn't have a throttle cable made or find a universal one long enough to fit the bill.

i would think nsx's from 95 on don't have a throttle cable since they are drive by wire-does anyone know?

Guys,

The majority of parts used for 1991-94 ONLY have been discontinued (like interior parts) The automotive parts industry typically runs a 15 year life, then if there is no activity for that part, it is cut off. Pretty standard stuff.

Call a junk yard and get the cable out of a wreck, at half the price;).

Call:

East Park Auto Recycling, in Hyde Park, NY
http://www.eastparkauto.com/
They have a 1991, 1992 NSX they are parting out. Ask for Pat.

800-Buy-Used
845-229-2104

Regards,
LarryB

This is the second time within a few months I've heard of it. Makes me think...
Do you have a picture?

Attention auto dismantlers! There will now be a huge, though brief, demand for '91-'94 NSX throttle cables. :biggrin:

This can potentially be a big problem. How can it be that there are no longer any throttle cables in North America. To render a car useless just because a $70 part is no longer available is insane. However, I would think that any generic throttle cable would work as long as it can reach the TB.

Maybe SOS or Dali should consider fabricating one.

I called sos that day and they said they would but not anytime soon because the demand isnt high enough...

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. This happened to my 1st NSX, a 1993 with 50-60k miles. I can't recall exactly what the miles were....it was about 6-7 years ago.

I had no problem at that time sourcing another cable from a parts wholesaler(new/OEM).

The majority of parts used for 1991-94 ONLY have been discontinued (like interior parts) The automotive parts industry typically runs a 15 year life, then if there is no activity for that part, it is cut off. Pretty standard stuff.
I'm still worrying about 91-94 parts being supplied by Honda. Thanks God that I revised my car within the last 4 years but I see some problems in the next 10 years or so. It'll be hard to keep the car in full OEM trim. :( I'm thinking about what parts are worth or stocking at home before Honda shut them down.

I'm still worrying about 91-94 parts being supplied by Honda. Thanks God that I revised my car within the last 4 years but I see some problems in the next 10 years or so. It'll be hard to keep the car in full OEM trim. :( I'm thinking about what parts are worth or stocking at home before Honda shut them down.

Yep.

Other vehicle clubs have gone so far as to stockpile a list of important "consumables"... or even begin manufacturing them (Gull Wing Group, various Porsche outlets, etc.).

I submit that we should form a bond with NSX Club of Japan... I'm sure that the "refurbishing center" has access to a broad range of bits... or can even see to making new ones. When we were there for Fiesta in November they told us that they even get Yokohama to make the old OEM tires for their customers -- though they have to order a good number at once.

I've been thinking about this for some time (having once owned a 1957 Porsche Speedster that I was intent on keeping "original.")

goldNSX: I guess great minds DO think alike.

I think our guys at SOS and Daliracing should start to make these, they already offer some OEM products. I'm sure they could get sales.

I'm nervous that these aren't available, what if it happens to us? Everytime I step on the accelerator, I'm like... shoot, I hope I didn't do that too hard!!!

I think our guys at SOS and Daliracing should start to make these, they already offer some OEM products.

That's asking a lot from a small company... a liaison between NSXCA/NSXCananda/NSXJapan and the factory is in order.
Perhaps a new club office(er) (Honda Liaison)?

Granted, I haven't snooped around the car to look at the makeup of the throttle cable for the NSX but if all else fails, i'm pretty sure seasoned aftermarket companies like Lokar can build a custom unit to make it work.

I retrofitted a newer modern LS1 throttle cable into my old 1966 Chevy pedal and they had a parts list that was very extensive. Just saying...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but something to note -

when I first got my car in 11/2013, the throttle cable snapped at the throttle body end, right by the lever:
MYjwVaLl.jpg

I got it repaired at Don @ Hilltop - due to the cable not being OEM, he had to get it remanufactured by some other company. Well guess what - a little over an year later (yesterday), the throttle cable snapped AGAIN!! Left me stranded on the highway. Interestingly enough, this time it snapped off at the gas pedal end:

yNk0tZll.jpg

Don't know if my car is cursed, or the way the throttle cables are in this car makes it prone to failure, but I can't believe I had two unique throttle cable breaks in a 1.5 year period. What gives? So disappointed...

Back