• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time to replace timing belt ?

Would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

I have a 2000 NSX with 27,000 original miles on her. I rarely track her and drive more "constrained", with only the occasional red-line shifts. Acura recommends changing the timing belt at 7 years, regardless of miles, obviously I'm well beyond that.

I don't want to push my luck. Thoughts on is it time to change the timing belt ?

My local Acura dealer has a Master Technician. Is that enough credentials / experience or should I look for NSX specific experience ?

Appreciate the thoughts / feedback.

-Kirby

It is 13 years old. Change it.

I would ask the dealer how many NSX TB jobs they have done in the last 12 months before committing my car to this level of service. Many "Master Techs" have never even seen a NSX, let alone partially dissassembled the engine. I speak from experience, as when I had my car in for its major service this winter with a real NSX expert (Chris W at Flatirons Acura), he discovered that the last Acura TB service left a lot to be desired. I'm talking about missing bolts, pinched gaskets, Hondabond gooped everywhere, and even non-Honda bolts used on the engine (we found a few Toyota bolts on various parts). I am sure that Acura dealer assured the previous owner that their Master Tech could handle the job before he dropped $4,000 for the service.

Consequently, it is worth the extra time, money and perhaps distance to have a real NSX expert do the work. My NSX runs like a well oiled sewing machine now that Chris corrected all of the problems.

I don't want to push my luck. Thoughts on is it time to change the timing belt ?
Yes, it is time. You will also want to change the water pump at the same time, and flushing the coolant is part of the water pump replacement. It would be a very good idea to change the cooling system hoses at this time as well - the big ones at a minimum, and all (22?) of them to be on the safe side. Rubber hoses and timing belts get old as the years go by, and you wouldn't want to have either fail when you're out on the road.

You'll want to follow the factory recommendations on the other scheduled maintenance items as well - fluids, filters, etc.

Location??
Good question. As already stated above, I would not trust just any Acura-trained mechanic to do an NSX timing belt; I would want it done by someone who has done them before, and continues to do them on a regular basis, so they know all the "gotchas" and shortcuts. If you tell us where you're located, we can refer you to the nearest dealer/shop with a lot of NSX experience.

We live in Reno, NV, so the closest dealers are Reno Acura and Niello Acura (Sacramento). Any one have experience (good or bad) with either of these dealers ?

I know Niello has tons of NSX experience. Near Sacramento, you can also have your NSX serviced by Shad's place, Driving Ambition in Cameron Park; they also have tons of NSX experience (and while some of it is for tracked cars, you can trust them for servicing bone stock NSXs as well).

I haven't heard about Reno Acura servicing many NSXs, though. You might try asking in the regional forums here on NSXprime (Southwest for Reno, Northwest for Niello).

I work at Niello and can vouch for the service we do on the nsx! We work on at least 1-3 nsx a month.. Our master tech has been working on the nsx since it first came out.. The techs i recommend at Niello is Bruce which is the shop foreman and David woody. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Change the belt. Maybe it'll look like new when it comes out but its the best money you can spend.
Plus it's hot out there and that affects the belt.

What's the average cost to do this with the water pump on a CTSC car? Does anyone know? I'm just trying to figure out what is a reasonable quote on this.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even know if the CTSC makes it any more difficult.

I can't imagine the CTSC makes it any more difficult. Isn't it just driven from the accessory belt? If I'm correct, you should chance the accessory and ac belts with the Timing belt any way.

With that in mind, I don't think there is any difference in service between an NA or CTSC car at all.

I was charged a few hundred extra due to the CTSC removal adding labor to the job.

Lots of threads out there regarding timing belt job cost. I believe I paid around $1800 if memory serves.

Quick update : Had the timing belt changed last week (Reno Acura). The old belt looked fantastic, no obvious signs of wear or drying, but as been said on the post, best money I could have spent. Peace of mind. Time to drive.

Back