• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Failure, Split Sidewall??

So I have a nice drive in the NSX. I pull back into my garage, and as I am inching forward I hear a loud pop, sort of like a gunshot, and I feel the right side of the car sinking.

After some investigation here's what I found. Had to run out on a business trip so didn't get a chance to take the wheel off and look closer. Tires are Goodyear Eagle F1's, 275/30 R19

tirepic1.jpg

tirepic2.jpg

I'm a bit weireded out by this, I know I read about some of the Toyo failures way back when. Anyone had a similar issue? I'm not ruling out some sort of pothole or running over a metal object, but looking at the split in the sidewall that doesn't seem likely.

I would be frustrated by this, but since it happened in my garage, at less than 5mph, I'm considering myself lucky..

Last edited:
Have you checked the tire pressure lately? Running low tire pressure for extended period of time could cause this. I had similar failure on OE BS tire when I ran it with too low pressure without knowing. Also, due to the camber of your suspension setup, there's definitely more pressure on the inner sidewall..that must have accelerated the failure as well...

Good point. I hadn't checked it in a couple months, but I drive the car so rarely I didn't suspect any change, nor did I see anything. Would 5-7lbs make a difference?

andyray1983 said:
Good point. I hadn't checked it in a couple months, but I drive the car so rarely I didn't suspect any change, nor did I see anything. Would 5-7lbs make a difference?

Mine was down more like 15-20 lbs..

Also, it looks like in VW R32 circle, people have had a lot of trouble with soft sidewall and bubbling.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2537018

interesting...

How old is the tire? The tires on my old civic cracked on the side due to old age.

andyray1983 said:
I hadn't checked it in a couple months, but I drive the car so rarely I didn't suspect any change
Even a tire with no problems will lose air over time, 1 psi or more per month. A puncture or bad seal could cause even more loss of pressure.

andyray1983 said:
nor did I see anything.
You can't see underinflation unless the tire is almost flat.

andyray1983 said:
Would 5-7lbs make a difference?
Yes.

Still, you might consider contacting either Goodyear customer service or your tire dealer, to get their advice and to see what they might do for you.

I had that problem for 4 times on SP9000, one time it happens on my road trip, and I just felt the vibration between 55-65mph, any faster or slower speed, the vibration is gone. So I proceed to keep driving around 85-100mph for 1.5 days. Tire pressure was ok, I was at shocked until I got to the destination and jack the car up… aww. Those foolish and innocent days…. Then seems like SP9000 as it wears down, the sidewall doesn’t wear as even as the other tires, and everytime I had some sort of premature wear due to the camber, the ply split. Well I got covered by discount tire’s warranty so I had only paid install and new warranty cert for 4 times… pretty good deal for a tire they sell for $180 at the time….

Andy, your tires looks like it’s way overdue for replacement anyway. Also on your new tire, you could have switch it from side to side to gain more “mileage” from the tires when it wears half way down.

Yes the tires did need replacing anyway, just trying to hold off a $600 purchase. Since they were close to done, I don't think I'm going to inquire with Goodyear.

Actually makes me feel much better this is an explanable occurance, that most likely could been prevented by me. Moving forward I will monitor pressure very closely, swap the rears, and replace more often.

I am going to go with a different tire, the R32 board scared me off the Goodyear F1's. That may not be logical, but makes me feel better...

Thanks for the info!

ak said:
Have you checked the tire pressure lately? Running low tire pressure for extended period of time could cause this. I had similar failure on OE BS tire when I ran it with too low pressure without knowing.

Happened twice on a GT350 clone before I figured it out. I was running Azenis which look fine even w/o air in them because the sidewall was soo stiff. Turns out my valve stems were leaking, and bam! 70mph blowout.

Called falken and they said the tire running on the edge(where its glued together) will cause it to heat up way too hot and the tire will 'come apart'.

Back