• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tires have been discussed - now BRAKES :)

I have decided on a brake pad for track days - Hawk XP+

What I need now is a pad for everyday use that is nice and quiet, smooth and dust free. What would you suggest for that guys?

Also, Is it okay to change pads like that... somebody told me you never put new pads on a used rotor. So is it okay to flip back and forth on track days?

Does this change the bedding process?

J

Jason, on Porsches you have to change the rotor and pad - not on the NSX. Barney told me they are strong and last and there is no reason unless they are worn out to change them for any other reason. If you use the stock pads - you'll be fine and save the HP+ for the track. While it is true you may wear out pads quickly on the track - if you don't track but once or twice a year - you most likely won't wear em out that fast. Like I said I have my original pads and rotors and my car has 48k on it. They dust very little and never squeal! EVER.....:wink:

Late in this thread I know, but:

I've used Axxis Ultimates on my MR2 Turbo (less power but only 100lbs lighter), for street/autocross/track duty for a season now. They do dust a little, but it's nothing compared to HP+. They haven't made any noise and I just threw them on the car dry, no shims or lube (the backing plate has a coating on the outside from the factory). I've run them on the track at CMP and Road Atl and never experienced any reduced performance. they're about $70/axle front $40/axle rear for the NSX

That said, I run HP+ on the NSX right now (street & track...way too lazy to change pads all the damn time on the stock stupid-floating calipers). They do have more bite overall than the Axxis pads, but they also dust like crazy, and will tend to squeak if not well-lubed.

Just an FYI...I just bought a set of rear Power Slot Slotted Rotors from TireRack for $84 each.

I am not interested in the bling factor but thought it was a great price as far as a spare at the track.

Nothing wrong with a great deal! However, just keep in mind that there's nowhere near as much heat generated in the rear brakes as there is in the front, so you probably don't need spare rear rotors. I've never cracked a set of rear rotors, and I've only used 2-3 pairs of rear rotors (versus 13 pairs of fronts) in over 13,000 track miles on my NSX. The only reason I've replaced the rears was due to getting close to the thickness spec.

I've never cracked a set of rear rotors

I have.... :cool: Granted, they did last 3 full years at the track. Ken, they were > spec, had only minor spidering and no open cracks at all. But 3 years of 10+ weekends a year is bound to fatigue the metal. A spare set of rear rotors is now on my "pack for the track list" so the GF doesn't have to drive 2-1/2 hrs each way again.

6c732983-35ab-a223.jpg

Last edited:
Not to thread jack, hopefully this will help illustrate as well as soliciting advice. Here are some close-ups of my stock rotors following an indeterminate number of road miles as well as three track events (running HP+ pads in stock calipers with stock ducting at this point).

I can just barely feel these cracks with my fingernails (the 2nd picture looks worse than it is due to the lighting contrast). I am planning to pick up some new rotors before my next track day, and then likely replace them along with the now-half-worn pads after that event. (I've also got a set of larger ducts going on the car).

I'm just curious how far along in their lives these are in the opinion of those with experience:

DSC_0783.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just curious how far along in their lives these are in the opinion of those with experience:
That's exactly the point at which I replace them. If they look like that and I'm in the middle of a track event (without spare rotors), I won't take the car out on the track, even if it means I can't drive for the rest of the event.

On my NSX, I usually replace the front rotors after 500-800 track miles, occasionally as much as 1200. So reaching that point after three track events is not that unusual, if you're averaging 200 track miles per event.

This is why it's important to inspect your rotors frequently when you're at the track! (It's equally important to check your pad thickness, and you can do both at the same time.)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a great deal! However, just keep in mind that there's nowhere near as much heat generated in the rear brakes as there is in the front, so you probably don't need spare rear rotors. I've never cracked a set of rear rotors, and I've only used 2-3 pairs of rear rotors (versus 13 pairs of fronts) in over 13,000 track miles on my NSX. The only reason I've replaced the rears was due to getting close to the thickness spec.

Good point.. I like to have at least one spare of each. I noticed that TireRack bumped the price back to $288 each for these so looks like I got a great deal. Two for less than the price of one. I am certain they will see service during my ownership.

Last edited:
Back at it again and back to the same question...what pad to use!

I last changed my pads on 11/28/09 (not sure how many miles drove since).

Zero track days but a few mountain trips and the only time I drive my car is for spirited drives (no running errands)

Since owning my car I have used Hawk HP+ and Carbotech Pantherplus.

I am trying to decide btwn the following.
  • Carbotech Panther Plus
  • Project Mu type B-spec
  • Project Mu Type HC+

Back