• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top Loading AR-15

Just remember to not buy guns because of this reason:

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Buy them for yourself :)

Last edited:
henderson and a few others make ak kits for the saiga 12s. i was hoping to get one at a good price, doesnt look like its happening now. hopefully i can get one when everything calms down

Good god I couldn't imagine having a pistol grip on a 12 gauge. (Not the sawed off style but AK style) I know it probably doesn't make a difference but the kick of a regular 12 gauge is nasty enough as it is. Throw some slugs in that bad boy!

I think california limits hunting shotguns to.... 2+1???? Correction please? So those mags in the saiga would probaby be illegal for hunting. I don't know about slugs for say deer hunting though.

Now something like that saiga is a gun I could not possibly see MYSELF owning with much practicality. Especially since I don't know what I'd really shoot at on a range using that gun to make it fun. Or what I'd hunt with that gun. Definitely more home "defense" purpose. No one would EVER mess with your home seeing you with a BANANA CLIP full of 12 gauge shells on a semi auto AK action pistol grip shotgun. Ohhhh that's a mean nasty awesome sight!

Last edited:
Oh it's not for the main purpose of shooting anyone for any purpose. I just actually want a really cool looking, good shooting target rifle to take down some ground squirrels, pigeons (the florescent type set down on the ground), and cans from 100-200+ yards.

Basically I just want a cool rifle for the sake of sporting, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe hunting. (Damn wish I had the cash for a Steyr!)

Speaking of shotguns, Saiga has some WICKED semi auto shotguns
http://www.raacfirearms.com/shotguns.htm
saiag12_adjsight.jpg

then you definitely need to look into a mini - 14 or a ruger ranch rifle. you can put a nice scope on, you can get them stainless if you want.
OTOH you might consider a bolt action .308 with a really good scope. give the squirrels a chance, one shot one kill. :wink::wink::wink:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

Last edited:
I was in the process of building an AR15, POF upper and lower. This is going to be my HK416 clone If you're an AR fan there is no way you will get a top loaded AR. I'm going to make it CA legal with a fix but stock and 10 round clip with but these parts can easily be switched out.

Good luck on your build, if this is your first rifle I would suggest building a sniper rifle instead.

I have 2 of these. Post-ban, registered with CA DOJ
009_5_m4dpms_hr.jpg

with plenty of 30 rd magazines and 1 of these.
C7M1400.jpg

Which means you basically gotta break the gun open at the pivot and load it from the inside because it's a fixed max with a fixed base plate on the lower receiver. But... it's legal!

I don't get it.... AR-15's ARE legal in their normal form. Why is there some crazy california version? Just go get a regular AR. I'm picking one up in the next 2 months or so.

I don't get it.... AR-15's ARE legal in their normal form. Why is there some crazy california version? Just go get a regular AR. I'm picking one up in the next 2 months or so.

they are legal in your state, not california. we can get regular ones just gotta get a bullet button (makes the mag release with a tool). hope you already pre-ordered yours since they are starting to get backordered.

Because of exactly that. The crazy california laws. Just watch, it's now gonna sweep our nation...... great....... :mad:

Can't get a regular AR in california unless you like prison. There are supposedly cheats around it but......... that's a VERY hazy area.

Because of exactly that. The crazy california laws. Just watch, it's now gonna sweep our nation...... great....... :mad:

Can't get a regular AR in california unless you like prison. There are supposedly cheats around it but......... that's a VERY hazy area.

There are exceptions. ;) (not cheats)

You CAN get an AR legally in CA, you just have to be a cop or have an FFL. I'm not a cop, even though I did go to a police academy, nor do I have an FFL.

Also you cant have a folding stock and a pistol grip SEMI Auto shotgun. As koolaid mentioned no detachable mags in a pump or semi. Also no shotguns that can accept a revolving cylinder.

In CA the real main bummer is guns are banned by NAME. EX SPAS 12. You could get that gun and make a pump only version on of it and it would be legal. With the sweet folding stock and pistol grip. But since it is banned by NAME you cannot.

Anyone know where I can pick up a glock 18c? On topic, I have a rock river ar-15...love that rifle. Entry tactical with stage 2 trigger, skeleton stock, 4 way rail, cmore reddot for home defense, surefire light.

Didn't know there was some gun fans in here.

Why not just build one up sarge? I'm sure there are plenty of killer deals in AZ where you live now. I remember there was a shop just over the border in AZ that had everything under the sun for dirt cheap. Just can't remember the name anymore, it's been years.

So I stumbled on a great deal on a AR-15. Problem is it's a california legal top loader. Which means you basically gotta break the gun open at the pivot and load it from the inside because it's a fixed max with a fixed base plate on the lower receiver. But... it's legal!

Is it even worth it to spend any sort of money on something like that? I mean it feels like it's not even an AR-15 anymore! I figure I'd get it before Big O does anything drastic in the off white house (the white house, it's not technically white, seriously)

Hey Koolaid if you don't mind me asking whats considered a good deal on this exact gun you saw?

Matt or anyone else in ca if you know??...

Hahahaha......

I friend of mine told me of a similar law that was enacted years ago to that made the retailer keep records of every box of ammo they sold and provide that information to the BATF.

So he did his duty..lol Every day , sometimes a couple of times a day he would go to K-mart and buy 1 box (50 rounds ) of Remington .22 LR for 99 cents. The store would fill out all the paperwork every time they made a sale. A lot of other people were doing the same thing. After 2-3 months time the BATF paperwork was so backed up it would take years to get all the information sorted out.

That law did not work out very well and was quickly repealed...:tongue:

Hey Koolaid if you don't mind me asking whats considered a good deal on this exact gun you saw?

Matt or anyone else in ca if you know??...

I was getting the gun used with 100 rounds through it, for $550. I passed still. Decided I can't be spending cash like that right now. Might still be for sale.

If $750, I think you can build up a "normal" AR with bullet button. Maybe $800. "I" would never pay more than $600 for the california bushmaster AR new or used though when you have other options.

Oh and the California bushmaster AR uses a carbon lower receiver instead of aluminum. Parts should still swap around in the lower and you can cut open the bottom of the magazine box to swap in a regular magazine and bullet button. The upper on the CA bushmaster is different though. I remember it being mentioned that you have to use a different tool to change out barrels and stuff. I don't know, maybe it's still fully swapable? Just requires different tool?

The california Bushmaster is still considered ultralight though because of the use of carbon. Not sure if any parts of the upper are carbon though.

I checked out the Keltec. That folding bipod stock is flims as hell until when it's being folded out and flimsy as a bipod. That sock also feels cheap when folded in. Gun is light though. What deters me the greatest about the keltec is how plastic the gun is. Other than the springs, firing pin, rivots, screws, bolts and the actual barrel, the REST OF THE GUN (upper and lower reciever, stocks, piccany rail etc) are PLASTIC. I don't even think it's some sort of carbon, just plastic or resin. Somehow though, it is said to still fire better than the ruger. Fire better or not, give me a mini 14 over a keltec ANY DAY. Haven't fired the keltec but don't care, ruger is just a proven gun with proven design made from real proven materials. New or used, I personally wouldn't pay more than $300 for one after just picking one up in my hands.

Back