• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

touchless car wash

Just wondering what you guys think of the touchless car wash centers they usually have next to gas stations...

The ones I'm talking about use a high pressure hose to spray soap, then water on the car....

I've used it on my old daily driver, but have not used it on the NSX yet, which I enjoy washing by hand.

I was impressed with the clean and shine following the washing, however, I was just wondering if they use harsh chemicals or there is any downside to using them...

Do not use it. You have to drive over the sensor which sees that your car is in place to start the wash. This will usually result in damaged/scuffed front wheel. This has been discussed several times before.

Dang, I'm sorry - I forgot to use search....

It was a stupid case of one of those: "I must be the first one to have thought of this... no one else could have possibly considered this in 15 years of NSX existence"

:)

ak said:
Do not use it. You have to drive over the sensor which sees that your car is in place to start the wash. This will usually result in damaged/scuffed front wheel. This has been discussed several times before.

Ok so I took my M3 to the touchless car wash today and it seemed fine - you have to drive the car over a pedal that seems like its about 4 inches high.

There are no rails on the left or right - I find it tough to see how it would affect a stock NSX (lowered may have issues).

I probably will not wash the NSX there as washing the NSX is a fun part of the week that I look forward to, but I dont think there would be any problems washing it in this kind of touchless car wash....

Touchless washing never removes all the dirt like hand-washing does. As you mentioned you'll never know what kind of chemicals are used. Some people even damaged their paint by holding the hose too near.

Some of the new touchless car wash places have replaced the rails with light sensors that will tell you if your car is in position. I've never had any problems with those washes. The seal on the removable top is so good that I rarely see a drop of water come in. This was on my 97 with the original rubber weatherstripping. But I do apply a rubber conditioner on the weatherstripping so they don't dry out. They dealership I used gave me the acura car care kit for free which included the conditioner.

I would skip all the places that still use rails though.

I wouldn't do it. Remember if they recirculate the water filter it and then spray again you are probably getting something like a microscopic sand blast done to your car. Just something to think about :smile:

gtr said:
I wouldn't do it. Remember if they recirculate the water filter it and then spray again you are probably getting something like a microscopic sand blast done to your car. Just something to think about :smile:

what if it's first thing in the morn, is it good then.
I've used them (no rail) then I get out and redry it myself, been happy with it :)

I got my wheels chewed at a wash - complained and they put me in touch with their insurance who will cover re-finishing my wheels!

I use Mobil's Wash n' Run. its good for those quick washes in between weekends. No rails either, so no damage to the NSX. There is only one here in Oxnard, or Ventura county, so there's always a long line on weekends. Wait in line about an hour for a wash, no thanks. that's why i usually go very early in the morning or late in the afternoon/evening. There is another gas station that has their old washing machine, not as good as the newer one at Mobil. I do stay away from the Shell car washes with the plastic/rubber spinning "brushes".

the touchless uses harsh chemicals that will remove your wax. a hand wash done correctly will clean better and be gentle on your waxed or sealed car.

I had use it for the 1st time and NSX turned out fine. I went home and waxed it, turned out just the way I hand wash it. The wash that I used has no bumps or rails on the side but had to kept my eyes on the sensors that might scratch my car :biggrin: I believe it is ok to use touchless wash bay.

We have one of those touchless washes at a local gas station. It's the new type w/ no rails. I ONLY take my daily driver and SUV in there b/c those are outside most of the time anyway. The other cars are done by hand at home.

Dont forget to turn off the radio...or you will be replacing a antenna mast:smile: I did that on my Camry....oops.

I enjoy washing my NSX too much to take it to a drive through, plus they never dry it good enough.

My experience is that the soap/chemicals leaves a thin greyish film on my black paint. This kind of wash is great for removing the dirt quickly, but you have to handwash and polish afterwards. I also recommend a very good washing glove, which leaves you the feeling of really cleaning the car.

Back