• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Toyota Prius vs Lexus CT200H

I have had my '05 fully loaded Prius since January '05 and it has 164,000 miles on it with no issues whatsoever. It is still on the factory original brakes! This is my work car and it makes me money at .515 per mile. I added two tone leather with heated seats, satellite radio, TRD springs and struts to lower it and firm it up, TRD front and rear sway bars, TRD front strut tower brace, Chassis brace, 17" light weight wheels, lightly tinted windows, the Japanese turn-signal mirrors, HID foglight conversion for the factory fogs, clear bra on the front end, later model factory leather steering wheel. The car is very comfortable, handles nicely and gets 45 MPG no matter what.

Now I will still shop the whole market when I replace it, but if Toyota still makes a Prius when I need a new car in about 2 years, it will certainly be a strong contender.

Good luck and choose wisely.

We test drove a CT and loved it, nice interior, fit and finish. Only bummer is the Honda Fit we have has a lot more storage space, also very hard to get the LED low beam head lights without getting full real leather (not many ordered), not the NuLuxe, but the strip of LED's looks nice and also the changing dash. Have fun!

The new Ford Fiesta gets better mileage and is cheaper
No battery to dispose of later.

Uh, no - not even close. The NiMH battery is recyclable too (which I'll admit takes energy and creates a little toxic waste).

I only bought the Prius because 7-8 months ago, Toyota "Perceived Quality" was in the crapper, gas was cheap, and I got one for a steal.

Got $3k below published invoice, 0% for 5 years, and 2 years free maintenance.

The Chevy Cruze and Ford Fiesta didn't do it for me. By the time you option them to what the Prius came to, they were just as much $, and for that, I would rather drive a Prius. Like Turbo said, resale value is the highest on these things too. Go to the Prius forums - there are little to no complaints about mechanical issues. Now, the Gen III dash rattles like crazy until you fix it, it sways in cross winds, and you have to have a gentle throttle input when driving in snow/ice. Other than that, it seems to be a nice little car.

Now the Prius is going for no less than MSRP IF you can find one :wink: I would probably get that new little Hyundai or Kia thing if I had to buy right now.

Obama will loose reelection if gas prices don't come down soon. So when gas drops, the fickle folks will go back to buying huge SUVs and there will be a bunch of Prii sitting on the lots once again!

Lol, and Vegas. Any hybrid is pretentious. Just ask the people that own them. In a survey to Prius owners, the majority of respondents reported they purchased the car because "it makes a statement about myself." :biggrin:

Wow, I heard the same thing about Corvette and NSX drivers :wink:

Dave

Unless the gas price keeps going up H is just an option. Demand supply will keep it under control I think but hey what do I know?

I use bus and metro in exchange for immunity gain. Win win!

I am impressed looking at volt on the road. Looked better than some of current Acura models:wink:

Last edited:
We have many Priuses here in our fleet and will say they've been excellent cars even some with 80,000 miles, zero issues. I do have a close friend that purchased the new TDI jetta and it does run very well along with the 45+ mpg. Theres no way I'd pay that much for that Lexus.

He is not spending 30K.

He sure is.

When he pays cash for the car....or finances it-

He will end up paying 30K out of his pocket at least. That is a 30k cash outlay no matter how you stack it.

What its residual value is after the term of his use is currently irrelevant...as is the residual value of his MDX...

Which, if entered into the equation would make his statement above about saving money even more misguided. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Wow, I heard the same thing about Corvette and NSX drivers :wink:

Dave

Both Daves-

I wasn't voicing my own opinion. I was relaying what Prius owners said about themselves to Toyota! :wink:

I'd take a serious look at the Fusion hybrid as well. I've driven the CT and although it's a great deal for 30k, I'd probably go with a prius for 20k and the 20% better fuel mileage.. with the same drivetrain.

Fusion can look really nice:

39205_493963063344_516798344_6796952_3644152_n.jpg

Awesome discussion guys. Making my choice harder, but I feel like I'm slowly gravitating towards the Prius. Anyhow, I forgot to mention a few things that might clear up my decision making process. This is basically a commuter/work vehicle. All it is going to do it pile on the miles and I'm not too worried much beyond that. It MUST have 4 doors and space for up to 5 in a pinch minimum for my clients. Part of the reason for the MDX originally was that it had a third row and it came in handy a few times; just not enough to justify it any longer. I would keep the MDX, but as I mentioned before, it's getting up there in miles and little things are needing replacement: broken door lock, brake pads, spare key and transponder (that was stolen; see my other thread), my ipod adapter, etc. I kept putting them off and at this point it is just the right time for me to move on to another car. I can get between $8-9K for the MDX so basically I'll looking to spend between $18K-$25K. I'll be buying cash as this is some of the money I was discussing in my "Investment Advice" thread where originally going to buy a Gallardo cash. Oh how my sights have fallen so. :tongue::biggrin: Anyhow, I've always thought the Prius looked like poo, but some of those pictures of done up Prius's looked pretty good.

I haven't trolled the hybrid forums yet but anyone on here modified their Prius? I'm just wondering if installing taller/wider/stickier tires and a decent set of light weight wheels will cause the mpg to fluctuate that much.

I guess I could do some calculations but hoping for some real world comments.

I can dig it ;)
priusbike.jpg

Last edited:
In 2008, I was deciding between a Civic EX-L Coupe ($20k), Civic Hybrid ($24k), and Prius ($27k). I ended up buying a new Civic EX-L. It was the a compromise between looks, performance (mpg & driving) and costs. I've average about 32 mpg over the past 3 years. If the CT 200H had been available then, I probably would have paid the extra $ because CT actually looks good, handles decent, and still gets over 40 mpg. It's high on my list for my next daily driver in three years!

Both Daves-

I wasn't voicing my own opinion. I was relaying what Prius owners said about themselves to Toyota! :wink:

Gotcha. I see so many on the roads these days I don't think that applies anymore. I mean, they are everywhere down South!

I haven't trolled the hybrid forums yet but anyone on here modified their Prius? I'm just wondering if installing taller/wider/stickier tires and a decent set of light weight wheels will cause the mpg to fluctuate that much.

Going to an aftermarket 17 or 18" wheel with 215 width "standard passenger car tires" generally causes a 5MPG+ hit. That's about a 10-15% hit on fuel economy, which is I guess about normal for all cars I've encountered when you do some modest upsize.

Really, they handle pretty well with the OEM tires. See the thread I posted earlier about how a Prius compared to the Spec Miata track record on Buttonwillow :biggrin: I've been meaning to take mine to CarolinaMotorsports Park just for fun, but wanted to get the first oil change done on it (10k miles oil changes)!

Dave

Here's the perfect hybrid (plug-in no less) for Vegas.

Fisker-Karma_2010_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Sold out until end of NEXT year. Not relavent anyway, this is 100K+ with a couple of options.

I hope VW has improved in quality. I had Jetta a few years ago and after 75k miles it literally started falling apart. I do wish some of the asian and european diesels start to make their way into the USDM.

I too had a VW Jetta (gas Turbo) and it was was great for the first few years then starting having numerous issues especially in the electrical department. . .
As posted in the video it does sound way cooler than the Hybrid

brrrrnnNNnnNGGGG, BrRRRNNNNGGGGGGGNNGG, BRRRRNNNGGGNNN

vs

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
:biggrin:

Checked it out today. Looks good. Cargo is very small, especially if you will be carting little ones around town. Doubt a stroller can fit in the rear hatch. Dealer acted as if this a one of a kind car. Did not allow test drive. I walked and he immediately said that he can arrange the test drive if I'm really serious. Needless to say, I passed.

My buddy just picked up an A3 TDI. Gets really great gas millage, looks good, and handles well too.

If its between the prius and the lexus, I'd get the lexus.

But any of the 3 are better than a mini :tongue:

Back