• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trick to removing valve covers from a 1992? Stuck

I'm trying to remove the valve covers to change the gaskets since it is leaking oil and do valve adjustments, but they won't budge. I've removed all the required nuts and bolts. Being that it is a 92, it looks like the gaskets are original from 24 years ago so it is like glued on there. I've hit the edge of the valve covers using a rubber mallet but it won't budge. I'm working on the rear of the engine and space is so limited with just one side to hit on. I've used Irwin Quick Grip to get more leverage but there is no area for them to grip onto so they slip. Is there a trick that I am missing out on? Any trick or tip is appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I have tried using that and it put a small nick on the cover so I stopped. Used a wide mechanic pry bar but it still won't budge. Looks like there is a bit of Hondabond where the cams are. After some research, it has been suggested to use Liquid wrench and let it sit for 2 days. Going to try that.

Acetone....

Tell me about the fasteners you removed. There are six fasteners holding the VC in place, plus the six metal/rubber washers under the fasteners. Two are in between the coils. Just want to be sure all fasteners are off.

Thanks Larry! Ah, silly me, I forgot to remove the two hard to see nuts that require a deep 10mm in the middle. Came up with ease after that :D

For future use, spend the $ for a Honda shop manual. The manual shows the location of all the fasteners associated with part removal.

Back