• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Twilight Zone

I've owned my NSX (a 94') for about 5 months now. For the most part, it has been blissful.

However, one aspect that has been bugging me, and is lately mounting, is the issue of respect.

For whatever reason, I keep running into people who have NO respect for the car. The other day, one of my friends suggested that an Acura CL Type-S performed about the same as my ride. Others claim that vanilla stock Mustangs and Camaros can spank the NSX, track or straightline.

For what its worth, I don't think speed is the end all be all. I don't obsess over 0-60 figures, but its just getting a little absurd I think. Am I in the twilight zone?

You might be wondering what set me off? Here's a <a href="http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=50721f29a301805269eafbf78066f4cb&threadid=33860&highlight=nsx">thread</a> I read today on the S2000 boards (I posted a response to the original topic).

Am I alone on this? Does anybody else ever have this problem?

In the immortal words of Arline Feynman...

"What do you care what other people think?"

I bought my NSX for me. I don't care what other people think about it. I don't care if it's exclusive or not.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 06 November 2001).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
In the immortal words of Arline Feynman...

"What do you care what other people think?"

I bought my NSX for me. I don't care what other people think about it. I don't care if it's exclusive or not.

EXACTLY.

And if you are really worried or affected by it... save up $6K and spank them with a BaschBoost SC.

they're just sticking up for there car like we do with the nsx. my opinion is it shows there insecurities about a decesion they made in buying a car and have to try and remind themselves and others they did they right thing (ofcoarse they didn't:)

Well I can tell you this...the NSX will eat the mustang, camaro and the vette's lunch if you drive it correctly and providing that their cars are pretty much stock. These others are just jealous because the have no choice to get those cars. Also remember that your car is a 6 cylinder and theirs are 8 cylinders.

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

Hey when I show up with the best looking sexy women at the party, my buddies just smile and enjoy the eye-candy
smile.gif

But when you show up in an exotic car, while your buddies are driving pony cars, and famliy luxury cars, the guys get defensive.

So if men love cars and women (not in that order) Why do we see two different reactions?
I think its because cars are a extention of our personalitites, where-as women are....? (help I've painted myself into a corner.) LOL

those cars won't spank the NSX in any year. HP #'s aren't everything. We all know that.

Absolutely.

People obsess over horsepower numbers, especially now that there are so many 300+ hp luxury models on the market. However, a much more meaningful and comparable figure is power-to-weight ratio. And most of the cars with more horsepower are much heavier than the NSX, and don't accelerate as fast as a result.

Here is a list of all the production cars currently on the market that accelerate significantly faster than the current 3.2-liter NSX: Ferrari, Viper, Porsche (911 Turbo only), Corvette (Z06 only). That's it, excluding a few very-low-volume marques like Lamborghini. Not a long list. You can add a few more models (other variants of the 996 and C5, along with some BMW's) that are about as fast as the current NSX and slightly faster than the earlier five-speed model.

Other models (CL, Mustang, Camaro, S2000, etc) are slower, comparing cars stock vs stock, and ignoring oddball models like the Mustang Cobra R that was briefly available.

Horsepower-to-weight ratios for these models are great predictors of acceleration figures, and are easily obtained. They are usually confirmed in magazine tests as well.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 06 November 2001).]

I wouldn't worry about what others think. Most people don't have a clue what a NSX is!
I have guys I work with that own Porsche's, BMW's, and even a guy with an older Ferrari.
Half of them have never heard of the NSX, and in my opinion, that's just another reason why I love the NSX so much.

Jealousy. You have something they want. They can't afford it so they try to make you look dumb in your purchase by demeaning your car and saying that regular cars can beat it. People who are secure about themselves and there current position in life will 99% of the time compliment you on your car with the exception of maybe a joke or two about how this/that car can beat a NSX.

Anything that gives off an aura of wealth usually gets the same kind of responses you got. Take designer clothes for instance. People who can't afford it always bring up the subject of how there K-Mart jeans are made at the same factory as some designer brand and that you stupidly paid 4 times as much for the same pants. This is where you say, "If I'm so stupid why do I have all this money and can actually AFFORD the more expensive things in life whereas you're living paycheck to paycheck?" No matter what people say if they have the money they would be buying the same things as you are. Forget about them and go on enjoying your car.

**No disrespect to anyone that shops at K-Mart, I just used it because it's a well known discount store.
***And yes I know that just because your living paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean your dumb. I'm just trying to get a point across so if anything I said offends anyone I'll try to restate it in a better way =)

[This message has been edited by skim83 (edited 06 November 2001).]

Originally posted by hyuan:
...You might be wondering what set me off? Here's a <a href="http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=50721f29a301805269eafbf78066f4cb&threadid=33860&highlight=nsx">thread</a> I read today on the S2000 boards (I posted a response to the original topic).

Am I alone on this? Does anybody else ever have this problem?

Hyuan,

Go back to http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=50721f29a301805269eafbf78066f4cb&threadid=33860&highlight=nsx

The tone is getting better. I only have problems with Mushtang owners. I think most really like my NSX.

I'm trading for a new '04 as soon as it hits(don't tell my wife).

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

You only have problems with Mushtang owners?

Most Mustang owners where I live are still just kids. With luck, the smart one's will grow up, lose the cocky teenage bad-ass attitude, get a good job and buy an NSX.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Mustang as a project car for the guy that likes to do mods. But is there anything right about a teenager,, whos dad bought him one for his 16th birthday?

Next time they say that just PUNCH THEM IN THE HEAD!!.ahhum just kidding!!Seriously the power to wieght ratio is definatly a factor.The NSX will smoke anyone of those cars mentioned road racing(assuming they havent made MAJOR modifications on those two vehicles.I own a 99'mustang COBRA with serious mods, horsepower with nitrous is 550 the cobra suspension and brakes is a great package but a far cry from my NSX.Compared to my NSX the mustang handles similar to a semi,kidding but im sure you get the point.As far as strait line drag racing short gears and 4.55 rear end gear ratio is nessesary on my NSX to be compeditive although i dont want to lose my top end speed a less harsh of the line acceleration.The 4.10 rear gears in the cobra are great on friday night drags but to much for me running errands.When i bought the NSX about a year ago she started driving the cobra and ive had the option to take that car out any time i want ..I DO NOT.Simply because i feel the NSX is much more refined nd easy to drive for me.We have a new exotic coming in february and quess which car gets the boot??The cobra!!!Shell be driving the nsx.remember LEFT<LEFT<RIGHT>HAHA.lic#MYNSX

------------------

Are you kidding me? Let the Mustang owners HAVE their "My Little Pony" pieces of crap. Tell them that it is a great car for the lack of money spent but you prefer something with class and exclusivity.

Well.... Being a prior owner of mustangs, one built for daily driving and racing and one just aggressive on the street, I can tell you that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder (also you must be able to afford the beauty
wink.gif
). The NSX is a piece of ART!!! And the Mustang is a muscle car. If I wanted ungodly fast, plant yourself in the seat, feels like I can rip the concrete up on acceleration, if I wrecked I would not get anything back, and can only perform one dimensionally (straight line), I would have kept my Mustangs. But I wanted quick, fast, handle while good braking, just hogging my wife and I around, neck-breaking, UFO (Unidentified Flying Object--because around here no one knows what the hell it is), that is exclusive even among some high-end cars, type of vehicle (whew!!). AND MOST of all: precision, reliable, owning two personalities (VTEC), getting 29 MPG, can run 12.4s with JUST a SC, and doing this with a V6. So I opt for the NSX!!
cool.gif

On this forum, everyone is right..... Be secure with yourself and accept that you are not the fastest person out there in a straight line but can easily hold your own in a straight line and kill them on the twisties!!!
biggrin.gif
Do this: Try testing you friends and walk up one day and say "I'M TIRED OF THIS SLOW PIECE OF CRAP AND SAY THAT I WANT TO TRADE MY CAR FOR A MUSTANG OR CAMARO 'OF MY LIKINGS' STRAIGHT UP. I MADE A MISTAKE!!" See how many of them would want to make that deal.
wink.gif
Then tell them "Naaaa, changed my mind"
tongue.gif

Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX
95 Yellow Mustang GT (330RWhp) (Sold)
88 Black Mustang GT Turbo(720 hp) (Just sold)

[This message has been edited by Attitude Adjuster (edited 24 November 2001).]

Back