• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type R bar bangs w/sway bar

Just a little FYI.... here is a pic of the type-r bar. Noticed they have a different shape.

Attachments

• frontstab08.jpg
    frontstab08.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,048
ah yes!!....I was wondering why it was mentioned that the Zanardi sway bar was having no fittment issues, it's because it's shaped differently.

I would assume that one will only have the same type of difficulty with their install as I did if they are using the same exact components I was. SoS sway bars (which are Comptech) and the Type R chassis brace on a 1997 or newer vehicle.

WTF!

Man, neither of the bars fit right.

Problem 1:

Dali Street/Track bar sits on the lower bar, not just touch. It's not even funny... it basically rests on the bar. Much worse than what jadkar describes.

Problem 2:

Front chassis bar does not fit right with the tow hook... did everyone remove the tow hook to install this bar?

Dali Street/Track bar sits on the lower bar, not just touch. It's not even funny... it basically rests on the bar. Much worse than what jadkar describes.
Trust me, mine rested on the bar as well. What year is your car?? If it is a 1997 or newer you will have to remove the sway bar drop spacers. You also will have to do some other slight mods, read this entire thread. If you car is 1996 or older, sorry I don't know what to tell you.:(

Front chassis bar does not fit right with the tow hook... did everyone remove the tow hook to install this bar?
Yes you have to remove a tow hook. My car (1998) had 2 tow hooks I only had to remove one. I was a bit fustrated that nobody ever mentioned it on their websites.

My car is 94...the front sway is set at the middle point. Maybe I need to move it to the furthest hole...

I'm a little weary about removing the tow hook...I mean where would you hook your car when towing if you don't have them?

If you remove the tow hook don't you still have one left??

ak said:
My car is 94...the front sway is set at the middle point. Maybe I need to move it to the furthest hole...

I'm a little weary about removing the tow hook...I mean where would you hook your car when towing if you don't have them?
When I installed the front bar I elongated the hole that the bolt goes through so the toe hooks could be retained. You only have to do this to one side. Not hard to do but takes a little more time.

Gary

Does anyone have any idea about the bottom bar on pre-97 with Dali sways? I've come to the conclusion that there's no way I can put it on there with the current configuration...

As for the front bar, I can still put them on but is it worth it? I mean, the bumper beam is right in front to give pretty much the same chassis support... I would think the lower bar does more for steering response but now i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble :(

One thing to add...I have H&R springs and that might be the problem... I think since the car sits lower, the sways sit lower in the front also. The only solution seems to be to shortening the sway end links...argh.

ak

Okay...this post has me a little confused. Here is my question:

I have a 1994 NSX. Is there any sway bar set that I can upgrade to that will NOT require any modifications to the vehicle (notching, removing tow hooks, etc.)????

All I want to do is switch out the sway bars, but I do not want to remove or modify other parts to do it. Any options for me?

On my 91, I have the Zanardi front and rear sway bars with the Type R front brace w/o any of the problems indicated here. I believe the Zanardi sway bars are pretty much the same rate as Dali bars.

Terry
91 red/black

I would love to install NSX R bars onto my 93..

but, now i am kinda afraid this rubbing issues..

Around this summer, I am planning to do

1. bilstien (lower perch) + stock spring
2. NSX R bars
3. bigger Sway bars...

Now, the car will be 90% street with occasional track events.. i want to know what Sway bars to use without problem ppl are encountering...

any suggestion?

-jjc.

Hey Terry,

About your Zanardi f and r sway bars...

1). is that the same as NSX R sway bars?
2). where did you get that?
3). roughly how much are those?
4). how do they compare to stock ones?

if these combo would fit my application, this setup just might be my solution.. tanks

-jjc.

tc29 said:
On my 91, I have the Zanardi front and rear sway bars with the Type R front brace w/o any of the problems indicated here. I believe the Zanardi sway bars are pretty much the same rate as Dali bars.

Terry
91 red/black

I don't know if they are the same size as the Type R bars. The Zanardi bars are the same size as Dali bars and they are the Type S bars.

You can get them from Acura dealers. I paid less than $900 for Zanardi sway bars, shocks and springs total shipped. I got them from a dealer that supported NSXCA members on this forum.

The overall package is awesome with the exception that it just doesn't lower the car enough. It is very stable, very flat around the corners and about as stiff as I can go with pissing off the wife. (With my 17/18 combo Technos.)

Terry

tc29 - did you also order the 97+ sway spacers to make all this work?

Edit: forgot to ask did you have to remove the tow hook with the Type R bars?

Meeyatch1 said:
I have a 1994 NSX. Is there any sway bar set that I can upgrade to that will NOT require any modifications to the vehicle (notching, removing tow hooks, etc.)????

All I want to do is switch out the sway bars, but I do not want to remove or modify other parts to do it. Any options for me?

I have the same desire - and I think my shopping list will be:
Zanardi sways
the 97+ sway spacers
NSX-R bars
(also Z shocks/springs - but these seem not to be related to rubbing)

HTH - Mark

Last edited:
Yes, I got the spacer to make the sway bar work. I installed the type R bars myself and don't remember doing anything with the tow hook...I guess I didn't remove it.

I didn't install the suspension kit myself...NSX Modfied did. I didn't have the sway bar bushings, and the spacers...they got them for me and told me I needed them to make them work.

I will take some pics of the car soon...The car is in my mom's garage as I am out of space to park the cars at my house.

Any progress to report here?

I want to upgrade my suspension to Zanardi Springs, Koni Shocks, NSX-R braces and either Dali or CT ARBs. I wouldn't think the shocks would matter Anybody got a solution that works on the 91-94s? Did you use that sway bar spacer (and if so what is the part #?).

My NSX is allergic to dremel tools, so if you have a solution to avoid 'customizing' anything I would really appreciate the input!

Thanks All,
Mark

On a pre 1997 car you should have absolutely no issues, your car doesn't have the sway bar drop spacers. I don't understand why TC29 needed the spacers from the newer cars?? Posibly because he used a true "Zanardi" anti-roll bar and since they only came out in 1999 he needed the spacers to make it work.

Remember my particular problem was a combination of.....

1998 NSX-T
Zanardi Springs
Type R chassis braces (both)
Comptech manufactured SOS anti-sway bars
Koni adjustable shocks

Change any of these components and you may get better (or worse) results as far as fittment

Thanks jadkar - I HOPE that I will be alright with 94 + Z Springs + Konis + NSX-R. MY main issue is not knowing what ARBs will work with all this. I ASSUME (from TC29) that the Z Sways will work with spacers but am hoping someone with some aftermarket sways made it work too.

I read this thread a half dozen times trying to figure out if either sway (Dali/Comptech) is known to work or not to work with this setup, but all I end up with is a headache.

Surely with the number of early coupes on the road someone has tried it?

As a follow-up, I installed the CT sways and NSX-R bars together with no issues at all. I did have to nip off the corner of the battery tray, but all else is golden.

Thanks for the help guys!

Well guys when Hrant finally gets his Type R braces in, he and I will go over what it will take to fix this problem on the later model cars which have the sway bar spacers. My 91 with an older style Dali bar and the type R braces fit just perfectly and no hitting, rubbing or noise. It is a very close fit however.

I have a sneaking hunch that since they went to bigger brakes, thus bigger safety spare, and they had to modiy the coolant hose placement for the radiator which is lower than a 91-94, the sway bar had to be lowered as well to clear the coolant hose. This now places the sway bar in the same area as the brace and thus it hits or rubs.

Gives us a week or so and we'll come up with a fix. I've got a cutting torch and a big pry bar. As you know, with a big enough lever we can move anything. :eek:
:D

I have a sneaking hunch that since they went to bigger brakes, thus bigger safety spare, and they had to modiy the coolant hose placement for the radiator which is lower than a 91-94, the sway bar had to be lowered as well to clear the coolant hose. This now places the sway bar in the same area as the brace and thus it hits or rubs.
I don't mean to say "I told you so" but that's what I said last year, on this same thread. You have to bend the coolant line upwards, and take out the sway bar spacers. By doing this you loose your ability to carry a spare, but that never bothered the Type R because it has no spare!! I did this modification on my 1998 which consequently is the same year and color combo. as HRANT's car last year and have had no problem ever since. Just be very careful with bending the coolant line, it's extremely strong.

Good luck guys

Hey, did someone call my name ........ :D

John you are absolutely correct and I have been talking about your same remedies but I guess I had not focused on you not having the spare.

What Al and I are "hoping" to accomplish is to find a way to jig/bend the pipe and yet still be able to have the spare. I am not sure if it is doable or not - but I will not drive my NSX without a spare. Have already had 2 nails on my rears, and have been with Al when his tire got punctured with about 0.5" tear (unrepairable) and about 90 miles away from home; we limped back with the spare.

TIA

Last edited:
As per someone's request :):) I have updated my photo links on this thread. They will be very useful as a reference.

Well I just wanted to throw in my experience.

I have a 1998 NSX-T and I have the track bug. So I decided to put in the Type R Chassis bars, and shocks/springs. I have Dali Street/Track bars. I was hoping that the Bottom Chassis bar wouldn't rub the sway bars. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I test drove the car without the spacers, and the bar would rub against the sway bar when I hit a moderate size bump or dip in the road.

Unlike Jadkar, I wasn't bold enough to bend my Coolant pipe. So I decided to take one of the spacers and get its machined into exact pieces. The spacers are 15 mm wide. I got them machined for $16. The end result were 2 spacers 6 mm wide. It worked pretty good with the stock suspension. On the track NO issues. However, it would occasionally rub on the street. Last week, I got the Type R shocks put it. The subsequent test drive shows NO ISSUES AT ALL. No rubs, no sounds. The car is Super Stiff, has more rattles. But atleast the bottom bar is in and isn't rubbing. :)

Hope this helps

Back