• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unidentified hole in instrument panel. Anyone else have this?

So after selling my 91 a couple years ago, I was itching to get another NSX. I stumbled upon a super clean, totally stock 94 listed on Craigslist in Virginia Beach, VA. It was pure luck finding the CL ad (praise to my CL app which allows simultaneous multi-venue searches). I called the guy within a couple hours of his listing it and hounded him like a dog until we had a deal. A few days later I was flying to VA and driving it back home.

Anyway, I notice in the center of the instrument panel a small hole right under the BRAKE warning light. I've not seen this on any other picture of an NSX dash and was curious what it's for and if anyone else has it. It doesn't flash or anything that I've noticed. It is perfectly centered and looks factory and I don't think this dash has ever been opened. Thoughts?

1994_NSX_Red_VA_032.jpg

Never seen it. Might be an LED for an alarm?

Alarm LED is my guess. That isn't stock. They went thru a lot of effort to drill that hole lol

- - - Updated - - -

btw.. congrats on the return back to NSX ownership! I had a feeling you'd come back man!

+1 I cant think of any other reason for drilling a hole that size in that spot. I guess the guy ripped it out and sold it and didnt think anybody would notice.

it was from a laser jammer/ radar detector install have seen it before

they must have took it out to put in their next car since they are expensive

the NSA is always watching

Haha! That's what I thought...Eagle Eye. If that computer voice ARIIA starts barking out orders, I'm ripping the dash out.

- - - Updated - - -

what did the original owner say?

I didn't ask the guy I bought it from because I thought it was oem plus he sold it rather quickly and unexpectedly so I know he didn't have whatever was there installed or removed.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 I cant think of any other reason for drilling a hole that size in that spot. I guess the guy ripped it out and sold it and didnt think anybody would notice.

I think whatever was installed there, is still there. It's not an empty hole, it has a shiny surface, so it probably is an LED or lens or something like that. Whoever put it in there did a nice clean job.

Last edited:
I was driving it over the weekend and noticed when the sun hit the panel, the circle has a red tint to it, so it's definitely an LED. Just don't know what it was for. Probably a hidden radar detector. I bought the car from Virginia where they are illegal so that would make sense I think.

Last edited:
its a radar jammer led trust me, look under the dash for some random colored non OEM looking wires follow them and your have your answer :biggrin:

You have a k40 radar detector/ jammer. . I have something in my car.. When i bought mine he didn't tell me anything.. I found out myself i havE it... Look through your car.. There will be a knob to operate this system..

Back