• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

V1 Remote Mount

V1Clock-or.jpg

Well, I finally got done doing the clock/V1 remote install. I still need to do some finishing touches as I'm not happy with some of the esthetics, but overall it's a mod well worth the time and effort.

I took pictures of the steps involved in doing this, so if anyone wants them just e-mail me and I'll be glad to give them to you.

If there's more interest, maybe Lud can help me in hosting the instructions and pictures.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 20 February 2003).]

finaltryin-or.jpg

top-or.jpg

Close up pictures.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 20 February 2003).]

CAUTION! The above products require the use of dental tools for construction. Please note the lab bench on which Doc Lane choose to create him V1 clock mount...remember that next time he is giving you a filling...

Originally posted by NSXnBRLA:
Great project, and great results. I have a V1 and would be interested in this, but I am greatly reliant on my clock. What to do what to do.

Well, if you either wear a watch or use a cell phone the time is only a glance away.

Originally posted by flaminio:
How/Where do you have the main V1 unit mounted?

-Bob

I have the main unit hardwired and mounted behind and to the right of the rearview mirror via the suction cup mount.

This is a very easy install and good DIY.

I have just received the detailed instruction and pictures from Rob. It is one of the best DIY projects!!

Lud, this gotta be posted and saved in the nsxprime DIY faq for other NSX owners
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by pixelhaus:
looks great doc!
(btw, nice looking clock! ;^)

Thanks for the compliment and the great deal on the clock James.

I think I may have a second job if this dentistry thing doesn't work out for me!
biggrin.gif

that looks so sweet, thanks! My gf just got me a remote display for my V1 for valentines day too!
smile.gif

Aaron

Originally posted by cpmoran:
This is what I want were can I get it. How does this work? Please help

Any high end auto/stereo place will do this. I just had mine remoted into the mirror, with laser diffuser display on the right side of the clock. The whole installation which included the V1 and diffuser cost $1,600, which considering that a coworker of mine had the same install at a different shop (into a Porsche TT) for $3,000, I think that I did pretty well. It works great, and if you do get caught, it doesn't PO the Police as they don't see it on the windshield, and just maybe he'll cut you some slack that he wouldn't if it were visible.

Wow, for $1,600 I think I'll just drive a little slower and save the $$$ for the ticket and insurance premium increase.

Originally posted by RPM217:
Any high end auto/stereo place will do this. I just had mine remoted into the mirror, with laser diffuser display on the right side of the clock. The whole installation which included the V1 and diffuser cost $1,600, which considering that a coworker of mine had the same install at a different shop (into a Porsche TT) for $3,000, I think that I did pretty well. It works great, and if you do get caught, it doesn't PO the Police as they don't see it on the windshield, and just maybe he'll cut you some slack that he wouldn't if it were visible.

Originally posted by RPM217:

Holy cow...$1,600 for that install you wrote about. Did they disassemble the entire V1? If so, where did they put all of the sensors. Also, it looks like the indicator lights are just as bright within the mirror. I like the mirror modification, but it defeats the purpose of having a concealled display out of sight and not visible from behind the car.

All together, the total cost of my modification was $532 (V1, Remote, and Clock) and five hours of my time. I had previously hardwired my V1 and that took 45 minutes. Also, it would probably take me two hours to do the clock mod the next time as I was learning while going. But as they say in graduate school: See one, Do one, Teach one.

Thanks for all the nice compliments and I've already submitted to Lud the complete DIY and pictures.

OK, a slightly odd question but assuming one wanted to keep the clock and was better than I am with a dremel.....

Could you remove the V1 remote from its housing and install it in the panel to the right of the clock (the black box opposite the clock set panel)

Anyone had either of them open to see if this is possible?

Originally posted by Markbert:
...Could you...install it in the panel to the right of the clock (the black box opposite the clock set panel)

No. The circuit board for the clock takes up the entire space within the housing. There is denfinitely not enough room to have both the clock and remote display inside the housing.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Holy cow...$1,600 for that install you wrote about. Did they disassemble the entire V1? If so, where did they put all of the sensors. Also, it looks like the indicator lights are just as bright within the mirror. I like the mirror modification, but it defeats the purpose of having a concealled display out of sight and not visible from behind the car.

All together, the total cost of my modification was $532 (V1, Remote, and Clock) and five hours of my time. I had previously hardwired my V1 and that took 45 minutes. Also, it would probably take me two hours to do the clock mod the next time as I was learning while going. But as they say in graduate school: See one, Do one, Teach one.

Thanks for all the nice compliments and I've already submitted to Lud the complete DIY and pictures.

They do disassemble the unit, where they put the sensors, they don't disclose for competitive reasons, and I haven't tried to locate them. I also have the laser diffuser installed, as a laser detector will just about tell you when to pull over to get your ticket. Laser will not bounce off other cars and set off your detector to give you adequate warning. I don't know about you, but 5 hours of my time is worth something to me. The costs of the V1, remote display, and laser diffuser are just over $800, the disassembly of the V1, and the install comprise the other $800, IMHO, I'd rather not pay ticket charges and insurance increases if I can avoid them. To each their own!

> Laser will not bounce off other cars and set >off your detector to give you adequate >warning.
Not true.
I have once gotten early detection from laser scatter. Has anyone else experienced this?

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
No. The circuit board for the clock takes up the entire space within the housing. There is denfinitely not enough room to have both the clock and remote display inside the housing.

Ah, directly from the master! Thanks Doc.

Time to formulate a plan B.

I'm interested in replacing the clock with the V1 concealed display. Are the instructions already posted somewhere? Dr. Lane, can you email me the pictures/instructions on how to do this?

I tried the inVisi1 with the display in the rearview mirror. It ruined the mirror - making it foggy at all times and the dimming feature became useless - too dark. I think the guy who did mine is not doing NSX mirrors anymore.

Hey guys.....

I got a new computer and forgot to transfer the pictures and DIY. I did send them to Lud though, if he has them maybe he can foward them to you. I'll take some more pictures and post them here later on.

-Doc

Back