• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Value of highly modified NSX

I noticed this NSX on eBay today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291088369597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The owner is stating over $85K invested and the car is offered on a buy it now basis at $59991.
I don't question the money invested but I'm curious how a car like this gets sold.

I'm assuming the car would mostly appeal to younger buyers more in tune with fast and furious tastes.
However younger buyers may not have $60K laying about and at this price there are many Porsches etc. available.
The car can't be taken back to stock as it would cost far too much.

What are the chances a car like this would sell for $60K?

P.T. Barnum had a theory.

What are the chances a car like this would sell for $60K?

Slim and none. Also found it curious that all that money was spent on the engine to make it go faster but they left the brakes alone. I mean, shoot...everything else has been modded. Why stop there?

Slim and none. Also found it curious that all that money was spent on the engine to make it go faster but they left the brakes alone. I mean, shoot...everything else has been modded. Why stop there?

This car will sit. I took one glance at the first photo and immediately questioned gobs of money being dumped into that car.

60k is the actual recent selling price of some lower Milage (but not super low milage) stock 2002+ gems, for that money the choice to any sane buyer is obvious.

The younger kids that the green car may speak to, simply will not have the coin (or credit) for that car.

Last edited:
It will sit. The people with $60k to burn will either buy a Porsche or a collector-level NSX. There is a car at Acura here in Denver that is listed for $150k. It has a lot of nice NSX-R genuine parts, but it's still a dreamer. Dealers hold cars like these for that sucker with money that knows nothing about the car.

I would rather someone poop on my shoes than drive it, it heavly modified they should have thought about NOT modding it like that.
it was a project car

it looks like a kid built it with legos

Wow. Now this is different. Highly collectible and if I were going to do a track NSX, this is an amazing deal. You get all the HPD/F1 development R&D at a huge discount. Plus, it is an original factory NSX-R under the kit. I hope someone buys this car and starts racing it again. Billy? :D

Highly Modified... 130k and no motor. But huge racing history

http://www.wirewheel.com/1997-Acura-NSX-GT-2.html

Guys, give the car credit where it's due. It's a show car, it has to be outrageous and eye catching. Within the confines of Show cars, it's nice, it has a lot of stuff done, it's really loud and over the top. There are some weird fitment issues especially around the front fender well, but other than that it serves it's purpose. Remember that at a show you are trying to draw attention to your car or your booth, or products, etc.

But now what? Unless you plan on showing it too why would you buy it? And if you are the kind of person that would like to have a car like this to take to shows, half the fun is being able to build it yourself, so even those people wouldn't be interested. This is the car Justin Bieber buys. It's another labor of love project that snowballed, and it's just too over the edge for the regular consumer. How can you even check the oil dipstick in this thing?

Last edited:
I think you have two kinds of Nsx enthusiasts out there: those who admire, and appreciate the engineering and history of the stock original Nsx and those who are not ok with a "supercar" slower than a slightly above average newer family sedan in a straight line and only moderate aesthetics. (Early models, with those wheels, oh those wonderful wheels). So you end up with all sorts of of opinions and modifications to different degrees and I think there is value in both ends of the spectrum. I like to think I fall into both equally- with admiration and love and rarity of the car coupled with a want to go faster (or at least the ability to) and look better (IMO) than most cars I will encounter on the streets. For me you cannot put a price on that.

I actually don't mind the color. Would look good on a stock bodied 02+ with a nice drop

Its just a marga hills widebodied 92 nsx. Its painted green, with a custom engine cover and needs to be lowered but its not hideous, just different. An engine build and turbo kit are easily 35k. Not terrible buy for a guy wanting a fast nsx. IT COULD STAND TO BE LOWERED THOUGH.

Last edited:
I think you have two kinds of Nsx enthusiasts out there: those who admire, and appreciate the engineering and history of the stock original Nsx and those who are not ok with a "supercar" slower than a slightly above average newer family sedan in a straight line and only moderate aesthetics. (Early models, with those wheels, oh those wonderful wheels). So you end up with all sorts of of opinions and modifications to different degrees and I think there is value in both ends of the spectrum. I like to think I fall into both equally- with admiration and love and rarity of the car coupled with a want to go faster (or at least the ability to) and look better (IMO) than most cars I will encounter on the streets. For me you cannot put a price on that.

I feel the same as you in that some mild modification to update the look is ok, along with adding wheels, HP, and a subtle drop. Everything I've done can be reversed back to stock with not too much effort. I kept all my Oem parts if for any reason I need or want to revert back to stock. But it looks better now IMO.

If someone wanted a start to a show car they could go with the green car... But change the color, possibly the wheels, lower it, BBK, and a few other things. I don't see 60k there thou.

Wow. Now this is different. Highly collectible and if I were going to do a track NSX, this is an amazing deal. You get all the HPD/F1 development R&D at a huge discount. Plus, it is an original factory NSX-R under the kit. I hope someone buys this car and starts racing it again. Billy? :D
It's probably the least collectible of the (11?) or so that they built since it does not have that rich of a racing heritage and seems to only have competed in the 24 Hours of Daytona with people I have not heard of. The car that won LeMans (or the sister cars that competed there) would be great collector cars, but i'm not quite sure about this one. I think the price is on the steep side given that the car does not have a motor. I'd love to drive it though!

Wow! This car has gone threw multiple dealers over the last few years. Someone with bad taste will buy this for 60k. This car is one of those typical type builds with the owner with no sense of style or idea how to modify a car. It's like someone who doesn't know how to dress. Just because you throw 100k on a car, doesn't automatically mean it will be executed properly.

I love the hype though. hahha

FEATURED IN MULTIPLE MAGAZINES
MULTIPLE CAR SHOW WINNER (H.I.N.)
STORIED OWNERSHIP
MANY 1-OF-A-KIND PARTS
ONE OF THE MOST CUSTOMIZED NSX'S IN THE STATES!​

- - - Updated - - -

lol @

"18" WERKS GNOSIS2 CUSTOM 1-OFF 3-PIECE FORGED WHEELS ($8,000)"

Completely agree with you Mike, while the Green car is just hideous and probably won't sell - the sorcery will sell, it's very nice.

That green car could have a chance if someone replaced the front and rear bumpers with something less outlandish and painted it the stock color - and maybe put a normal intercooler in there. Yet still not at $60K

There are plenty of highly modded NSX's that sell for good money when done right - these cars are not cheap to modify and if a person is informed and wants to mod it anyway, it can be a good value to buy one already done (emphasis on done right)

Back