• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Walked a C6 Z06

Come one dude.

American Steel baby.

Composites are for girlie men.

sheesh.

Let's just say that I've surprised the heck outta some of these sport sedans on slalom and corners.

"oh, look honey, lemme just negotiate around this POS Yankee truck......oh sheesh, golly gee I'm having a hard time taking him.... oh his pulling away......

There are replacement springs for the Corvette that are composite.
They can offer finer tuning on the spring rates for racing applications.

It was common for them to break on previous generation cars and be replaced with fiberglass ones. I was wondering if the C6 had them.

Your springs on your truck are not employed in the same fashion.
The C6 Vette has a single transverse leaf....Dude.

fail.jpg

DogFAIL.jpg

Don't be too hard on him. It is a school night and he needs to get to sleep so he can be at class on time. Those high schools start early these days. :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Have you even looked at the list completely? Who dominates the top of the list? Porsche.

Figures the Z06 owner would start with the personal attacks. Your maturity is transparent. I've been out of high school for a long time. Sounds to me like you got picked on a lot though.

Also, I've never said the performance was bad in a Z06. You just assume that everyone hates it so you have to act defensive. Secondly just because the Z06 beat out the porsche by a hair in one road test, doesn't mean the car is faster. Didn't the article also say it had a modified rear suspension because the stock one kept sliding out?

And we all know car and driver is just about as unbiased as BM.

Gene,

Are you coming to our local nsx gathering this Thursday? Its at South Coast Acura, around 8PM

Regards

Thank you for the notice. Is there a site or an e-mail list that can notify members?

I would love to go but have to leave the country for business.

Thank you for the notice. Is there a site or an e-mail list that can notify members?

I would love to go but have to leave the country for business.

The notice is stashed away on another section of this forum, here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Basically, on the first Thursday of each month, around 30 nsx's will get together at the Acura dealership off Harbor/I-405.

I disagree. A 418 whp NSX is no slouch and he had a 300+ lb weight advantage. It's easy to imagine an FI NSX doing 0-60 in the high 3s (stock NA2s can do 0-60 in the high 4s) and a high 11s 1/4 mile (stock NA2s come in in the mid-low 13s)--essentially the same times the ZO6 puts up.

Right but not "out run" the Z06. Acceleration is more pronounced from Torque than HP. The Z06 has gobs of torque at any rpm unlike the NSX.

On the road course, cars with 100 more hp like comparing a bmw 328 to a m3, the m3 will have a difficult time making up 5 to 7 car lenghts on a 1/6 mile straight away.

I am not trying to diss the NSX. I love my NSX but we have to be realistic. On the car's performace, Z06 is hard to beat especially by the NSX.

Now, driver performance makes a big difference.....:biggrin:

Right but not "out run" the Z06. Acceleration is more pronounced from Torque than HP. The Z06 has gobs of torque at any rpm unlike the NSX.

On the road course, cars with 100 more hp like comparing a bmw 328 to a m3, the m3 will have a difficult time making up 5 to 7 car lenghts on a 1/6 mile straight away.

I am not trying to diss the NSX. I love my NSX but we have to be realistic. On the car's performace, Z06 is hard to beat especially by the NSX.

We respect Z06s, in fact John and I consider it the standard. One that set the bar. Just the other day we were talking about how amazing that car is out of box.

John's NSX is approximately 418rwhp, roughly 475hp at flywheel if we use conservative 12% drivetrain loss. We are not comparing stock NSX vs C6 Z06. Take the additional 200+ hp over stock into consideration. Imagine your NSX with nearly additional 200 horsepower and 300+lbs lighter, that is exactly how fast his NSX is. Still hard to believe? They did rolling acceleration runs, not launching from a dig, there are little to no chance for driver error.

Get a ride in his NSX on Thrusday, you will see. My old Supra was capable of 600rwp/580+rwtq with race gas, all that torque is completely useless against NSX from a dig. I can pull of consistent 4.0sec flat to sub 4sec 0~60mph every time in my NSX. It is just way too easy compare to launching other high power FRs. The MR weight transfer really it made it too easy.

I used to have an old school stingray.....beautiful lines...just an all out attractive design--but maintaining that car was a pain.....My friend has a modified 97' C5....loads of torque, but I can't believe the cheap, plastic feel of the interior.... ---The NSX is a sportscar of finesse, not brute power......and it has a beautitiful build quality

All of the gobs of torque in the lower RPM does not matter. This is what they have transmissions for. Your car should be pretty close to redline after first gear(or always if you launch close to redline), therefore you are only using the last 2-3.5 thousand of your RPM each gear. The NSX has high end torque, with a linear torque curve, combined with a high redline. It is making high hp and high tq numbers where it counts. In the higher RPMs, the z06 is pretty matched by a boosted NSX in torque numbers if you compare RPMs. Also tq loses it effieciency in higher gears, hence higher speeds. Therefore, you must rely more on hp to weight ratio.

"Torque winning races" is a myth. It helps a bit, esp if you have a heavy car, but most cars generate torque in the mid low range and the torque numbers fall off in the high rpm where it counts. Hp to weight is the key figure as HP is generated linearly as the RPM gets faster, therefore your wheels spin faster. Low end torque is only good for the street when you are in a low rpm situation. Most torque for V engines fall off after 4.5k rpm. Who the hell races and shifts at 4.5k rpm each gear? I guess if you want to feel fast for a few gears and you wanna lose, then sure.

The S2000 sure as hell feel weak when you drive in the lower RPM. It's torque numbers are crap too. Get revving and that 240 hp pulls you a long way.

I'm a big Corvette fan as well as a NSX fan. My question to all of the NSX folks who love to bash the Corvette is-----If the NSX was such a "special" automobile to Honda, why didn't they keep it around and continue development? The Corvette has been in Chevy's stable since 53, and while there were definitely a lot of model years that were a POS, they still continued to develop the car. Todays Z06 is a testiment to GM's commitment to continually improve the car. True, it isn't everything to every owner, and many will never like it, but they still sell as many as they can build. Honda was damn near giving away the farm the last handful of years with the NSX. How heavily did they discount the last NSX's and still had problems moving them. Maybe had Honda developed the engine to produce say just 75-100 more HP, the car would have sold much better?

I'm not trying to offend any of my NSX family here, I just think it's odd that soo many want to bash the Corvettes for a million reasons but think the NSX is faultless. I've driven the new Z06 and I'm very impressed with it, and it's crappy plastic interior. The NSX is loaded full of plastic inside too.

Listen we are just as pissed that honda has not read darwinian theory and let the car stand on 15 year old merrits.That said when you get involved in the nsx culture and see what an old car can still do on road and track,,without breaking,it really is amazing.I mean honda really did bring a fully mature design right into production,,but yes they blew the proverbial load.:redface:

I'm a big Corvette fan as well as a NSX fan. My question to all of the NSX folks who love to bash the Corvette is-----If the NSX was such a "special" automobile to Honda, why didn't they keep it around and continue development? The Corvette has been in Chevy's stable since 53, and while there were definitely a lot of model years that were a POS, they still continued to develop the car. Todays Z06 is a testiment to GM's commitment to continually improve the car. True, it isn't everything to every owner, and many will never like it, but they still sell as many as they can build. Honda was damn near giving away the farm the last handful of years with the NSX. How heavily did they discount the last NSX's and still had problems moving them. Maybe had Honda developed the engine to produce say just 75-100 more HP, the car would have sold much better?

I'm not trying to offend any of my NSX family here, I just think it's odd that soo many want to bash the Corvettes for a million reasons but think the NSX is faultless. I've driven the new Z06 and I'm very impressed with it, and it's crappy plastic interior. The NSX is loaded full of plastic inside too.

What year GTO is that?

Do u like it?

I'm thinking about getting one this year.

It's a 05. I've had the car for just over a year, but haven't driven it much yet. It's has only 5000 miles on it now. I got a excellent deal on the car so I couldn't pass it up, but it's not really what I needed. I was hunting for a econobox for back and forth to work.

Overall I like the car. It's very basic however. The interior is nice but very basic as far as the switch gear, no heads up display, etc.etc. It does run damn good though. That's what makes it bad. It's not fun to drive unless you're pulling some revs to listen to the exhaust and that kills the fuel mileage. Of course, a 400 HP sedan isn't supposed to be a economizer.:biggrin: Never have had it out in the rain or snow, so I can't really comment about how good a daily driver it is. It's a little bit of a bitch to get in and out of as well. Of course that's because of my bloated ass, not the car.

So many aren't bashing the ZO6...:confused:

As far as I can tell only nray and j.r. have had negative things to say. From what I've seen here and on other threads is that most NSX owners very much respect the ZO6. Mmost of us would probably never want to actually own one but it certainly gets respect around these parts.

As far as the NSX, your argument is akin to having the LT1 C4 still being produced in 1999 and calling it a dog compared to the Porsche 996. Honda is to blame, not the NSX. The failure of Honda to support, market and promote the NSX is no reflection on the car itself. Consequently, I give major props to GM for continuing to support, improve and market the Corvette over the last 55 years.

I have always argued that Honda should have either made the NSX a limited run like the Ford GT or focused on improving it like the Corvette or 911. But they chose neither and it predictably died a slow painful death as any car would if deserted in the same way. Can you imagine the Porsche 993 still running around today with just under 300 hp (same as NA2 NSX)? It would be a laughing stock if being marketed as a sports/performance car and probably sell only a few hundred per year ultimately suffering the same fate as the NSX. But that's not the fault of the car--it's the fault of the manufacturer.

All of the gobs of torque in the lower RPM does not matter. This is what they have transmissions for. Your car should be pretty close to redline after first gear(or always if you launch close to redline), therefore you are only using the last 2-3.5 thousand of your RPM each gear. The NSX has high end torque, with a linear torque curve, combined with a high redline. It is making high hp and high tq numbers where it counts. In the higher RPMs, the z06 is pretty matched by a boosted NSX in torque numbers if you compare RPMs. Also tq loses it effieciency in higher gears, hence higher speeds. Therefore, you must rely more on hp to weight ratio.

"Torque winning races" is a myth. It helps a bit, esp if you have a heavy car, but most cars generate torque in the mid low range and the torque numbers fall off in the high rpm where it counts. Hp to weight is the key figure as HP is generated linearly as the RPM gets faster, therefore your wheels spin faster. Low end torque is only good for the street when you are in a low rpm situation. Most torque for V engines fall off after 4.5k rpm. Who the hell races and shifts at 4.5k rpm each gear? I guess if you want to feel fast for a few gears and you wanna lose, then sure.

The S2000 sure as hell feel weak when you drive in the lower RPM. It's torque numbers are crap too. Get revving and that 240 hp pulls you a long way.

N Spec, everything you say makes sense. And yes transmission and differential can compensate for a high reving low torque engine but it's not the same. I have driven many cars, turbo and non-turbo cars. Given equal driving ability, the car with natural torque like the Z06 vs turbo charged NSX, I will bet my money on the Z06. In order to access the torque through the transmission, the driver has to go through more gears in order to keep up with a high torque car like the Z06. Everytime you need to shift, you are losing acceleration....

Let me see if I can get into some trouble here, it's like comparing a naturally pretty girl to a girl who looks good with makeup.:biggrin:

I have always argued that Honda should have either made the NSX a limited run like the Ford GT or focused on improving it like the Corvette or 911. But they chose neither and it predictably died a slow painful death as any car would if deserted in the same way. Can you imagine the Porsche 993 still running around today with just under 300 hp (same as NA2 NSX)? It would be a laughing stock if being marketed as a sports/performance car and probably sell only a few hundred per year ultimately suffering the same fate as the NSX. But that's not the fault of the car--it's the fault of the manufacturer.

I agree with that. Honda let the NSX down big time. I don't know why they didn't just keep updating the platform like Porsche. It seems to have worked well for them.

Here is how I think it should have gone.

1991, 3.0 270HP
1997 3.2 320HP
2002 3.5 350-375HP. Update interior with current features.

The car would have got a lot more press if they had done my than just cosmetic changes.

I'm a big Corvette fan as well as a NSX fan. My question to all of the NSX folks who love to bash the Corvette is-----If the NSX was such a "special" automobile to Honda, why didn't they keep it around and continue development? The Corvette has been in Chevy's stable since 53, and while there were definitely a lot of model years that were a POS, they still continued to develop the car. Todays Z06 is a testiment to GM's commitment to continually improve the car. True, it isn't everything to every owner, and many will never like it, but they still sell as many as they can build.
miamimermaid said:
Persons, perhaps, afraid (or Loyal) to venture outside of American realm. In any regard, the 'Vette' has been, is, and will (I believe) continue to be legendary.

ZR-1 NSX said:
Honda was damn near giving away the farm the last handful of years with the NSX.
miamimermaid said:
'Giving away' Sorry, I disagree.

ZR-1 NSX said:

My Pops is an avid believer, owner (since he was able to purchase one, financially), and lover of the 'Vette, including the C3 '76 Stingray, C4 '89 , '92 ZR-1, and so forth ;)) Yeesh, for the past 13 years (my ownership of the NSX) , he's been pushing me to buy one....

There is just something about the NSX that is *Original.... at least to myself, and the many other patriots here.....

Can't really explain it..... I honestly really can't, besides the originality, the sound, the look, the * limited production *, the feel, the love of being an owner of our blessed (did I mention, : limited #) NSX....

Now, I will tell you.... I love the Vette and its intensive history (models, builds, design)........ Which, is Why! I Hope and Hope that I am able to add the 2009 ZR1 to my stable (while, I will never sell my NSX) :wink:

All in all, both cars respectively Rock ! (and can rock my boat all day long) :tongue:

I agree with that. Honda let the NSX down big time. I don't know why they didn't just keep updating the platform like Porsche. It seems to have worked well for them.

Here is how I think it should have gone.

1991, 3.0 270HP
1997 3.2 320HP
2002 3.5 350-375HP. Update interior with current features.

The car would have got a lot more press if they had done my than just cosmetic changes.

I've always thought that each successive update to the NSX basically came one generation late. IOW Honda should have done:

1991: 3.0L 270hp

1994/5: 3.2L 290hp 6-speed

1997: 2002 update, interior update, 3.5L 325-350hp or FI option

2002: HSC, at least 400hp, ideally a V-8

2008: HSC II...

There was NO reason Honda couldn't have continued the NSX as Porsche continues the 911 or even GM continues the Vette. The first and most critical point came in 1994/5. By 1993 the Supra had 50 more hp and a 6-speed before the NSX. Honda didn't do anything about that until 4 years later and the NSX had been around for 3 years before that. And turbo or not Honda was still 30hp short! There was no excuse for that. The 1997 and 2002 updates were the epitome of day late, dollar short marketing.

I'll argue that prospective NSX buyers have been turned off for a long, long time, since 1994-5. That's a long time ago! It's easy to look back at the NSX's 2002-2005 sales numbers and think it was a sinking ship. But there was a time where the ship could have been righted and sailed on but that was such a long time ago. The ship started to irreversibly sink long before Prime came around.

Carma...

I think I got the carma from this john.... I know where I stand with Z06 until this one regular sleeper vette. Stroked out with 300 shot. I got him on the motor but he squeezed on me and it looked like a bus lenght. He is making 490 to wheels on motor but add 300 shot on that and its a murder. :frown:

Back