• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wed Sport Dry Carbon Wheel!!

So who will be the first to get these? hehe Weighs 2.76 kg or 6.08lbs and will cost about $10,000 to $12,000 a set! Start saving!

weds-sport-carbon-fiber-wheel.jpg

carbon-fiber-wheel-weight.jpg

dry-carbon-wheel-project-big.jpg

carbon-fiber-aluminum-wheel.jpg

Last edited:
cool find (no offense to op but to the maker) but nice project if you are driving on glass, lol. first decent pothole and say goodbye to your wheels.

just a personal observation, i can't believe companies still invest so much cost and resources into making wheels out of carbon which is one of the worst applications for the task. carbon is great for tensile strength, not compressive, and its fracture toughness goes away after the first little nick in the epoxy matrix (you don't believe me, lookup crack propagation in composites).
this stuff is show only.

baller.jpg

Damn... those are nice. Balla status for sure. The one with the polished lip looks especially sweet... it's like the inverse of those Dymag wheels.

Has anyone here used CF wheels? I've never seen one in person, so I'm curious about strength... are they prone to cracking or splintering?

EDIT-- just read swerve's post, haha. yeah, that's what it seems like... that these wouldn't be as strong as their metallic counterparts. can't argue with the weight saving though...

Last edited:
i would buy a carbon center with steel lip.

i might as well burn my money for buying all carbon rims with the roads we have in jersey

derelict;1143733 Has anyone here used CF wheels? I've never seen one in person said:
i had a set of carbon wheels (dymags i believe) on one of my rc51s which were alu hoops with carbon spokes. the mother-efers almost killed me. it was my stupidity for using them on the street (or getting them in the first place- thats what you get for NOT passing that 'sweet deal') when the front one promptly exploded after hitting a pothole. i sure got a return on my 'full leathers investment'.

if you guys want to be impressed, drool over some nice mag wheels, at least those will crack not explode.

Actually saw a set on an RS4 couple of months back and they look sick! Guy got them used for $6000......now thats a deal!

those look like carbon hoops with forged spokes- am i correct? those make more sense as at least in this case, when the carbon fails, it will result in flat tire/lost wheel not a car in the ditch. don't get me wrong guys, i think the stuff looks bitchin', i just would not spend that kind of money to be driving around scared. furthermore, buying this stuff second-hand is a serious mistake as evidenced by my 'great deal'- there is always a reason and with carbon it really only takes one crack. btw, the only way to inspect composites is ultrasonic.

those look like carbon hoops with forged spokes- am i correct? those make more sense as at least in this case, when the carbon fails, it will result in flat tire/lost wheel not a car in the ditch. don't get me wrong guys, i think the stuff looks bitchin', i just would not spend that kind of money to be driving around scared. furthermore, buying this stuff second-hand is a serious mistake as evidenced by my 'great deal'- there is always a reason and with carbon it really only takes one crack. btw, the only way to inspect composites is ultrasonic.

Yes, they're carbon fiber barrels, with forged magnesium centers.

Mmm...that's butter.

So who will be the first to get these? hehe Weighs 2.76 kg or 6.08lbs and will cost about $10,000 to $12,000 a set! Start saving!

weds-sport-carbon-fiber-wheel.jpg

carbon-fiber-wheel-weight.jpg

dry-carbon-wheel-project-big.jpg

carbon-fiber-aluminum-wheel.jpg

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!:eek:

HRE is coming out with some new carbon fiber wheels using dymag technology. I'm suspecting a forged aluminum center with carbon fiber inner and outer barrels.

Lol,, as wedsport clearly states :wink: I'd rather buy a product, not a project.

they already do this with the rota gt3...polished barrels with a 'carbon' center, probably an overlay...

Back