• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What bells and whistles does the 05 have

No offense April, but you should just drive the NSX and see if it's for you. Since you prefer the auto NSX, you have to understand it has the same 3.0L 252hp engine as all the other NSX years from '91 on.

Also, yes, the NSX is expensive. However, when I decided to spend $89K to get a new NSX I test drove almost every single car at or below that price, Corvette and Viper included. I love the driving feel of the NSX the most. You should do the same. I just laugh at the fact sometimes when someone who has never driven an NSX bash it, especially if they drive a car of lesser value, since if I wanted to, I could have gotten the same car he is driving, but instead I chose the NSX.

redshift said:
What about me :confused: :confused: ... I was honestly trying to be helpful by pointing you to the search feature (there is SO much good info there comparing corvettes to NSXs), but I'll do my best to sum up the differences in my opinion:

I drove a C5 when I was pseudo-considering it - it was between NSX, C5 and M3.

The C5 interior was truly horrid. It was one large plastic chunk with terrible outward visibility. The worst thing was probably the bench-like seating! I didn't get a chance to get acquainted with the gadgets... sorry I have no opinion on that (I'm sure the C5 is superior in this regard). The NSX has wonderful driver positioning and a simple yet elegant all "leather" interior (gauges and stereo head-unit do appear dated).

The acceleration was pretty comparable to the NSX. I really liked the torquey feeling of the C5, but I also really liked the exhilaration of the 8K red line of the NSX. Shifting is so much more fluid in the NSX. 1/4 mile times are very similar (in magazines) - I've seen the NSX with much faster times than the C5s and I've seen C5s with better times. 150 mph in the C5 was scary - it was too loose and rattling - this lowered my perception of quality and comfort at high speeds. In the NSX I felt very comfortable and in control at 150 (I was in a coupe) - no rattling or strange noises - very predictable ride. *I drove the cars on a very safe and long stretch of highway.

Handling is difficult to quantify since I wasn't really pushing either car to their limits. The C5 feels very soft and floaty. You definitely don't feel connected and there is little to no feedback from the steering wheel - the rear end kicks loose too easily. The NSX is very darty and go-kart like with amazing feedback and you really feel connected with the road (and the car). The weight ratio due to the mid-engine design is very evident in the "feel" of the car. The C5 just feels "heavy" in comparison.

Of course, all the above was just my opinion of back-to-back driving of a C5 and NSX 3.0... I since have bought my own NSX. There is NO comparison in my mind between the two.

There are other emotional and intangible qualities of the NSX that I just cannot remember... some of them include:
- hand-built mid-engine exotic
- all aluminum construction
- F1 inspired
- Benchmark for the mclaren F1
- very rare (dream car status)
- engineering marvel
- All around BALANCE (if you just want really fast 1/4 mile times get a Viper instead)
- Honda's race history (corvette has a nice legacy too)
- Ayrton Senna involved in chassis tune
The list goes on, but these are just a few things I can remember off the top of my head :biggrin:

Here's an interesting review of the NSX and C5 by one of the masters, MARIO ANDRETTI!

:wink: I'm sorry, didn't mean to forget you. I appreciate you're being kind as well. This post was exactly what I was looking for...the comparisons of the two...This post helped me to understand better.
You're a doll.....

April, I've said it many times before, happy to repeat it for you. I had a 2000 C5 Convertible, leased it for 39 months, I did enjoy the car, loved the HUD, and the bells and whistles, it had, liked the V8 rumble, the torque, but, at the end of the lease, I couldn't wait to get out of the car. Had always like the NSX, leased a 02 at a great rate when the 03's were coming in the door, my lease is up in Feb of 06, and I'm trying to figure out whether to buy it off lease and wait for the "new" HSC/NSX to come out, or just turn it in, the problem is I do love the car, don't want the lease to end. As I've said many times before, the Vette is brute force, the NSX is pure finesse. If it's bells and whistles you want stay away, you won't be happy, hell, there's not even an outside temperature display, the seats don't slide back when you remove the key, and many other things that you have come to take for granted on the vette, however if you want to "drive" a car, stay away from the automatic, and take the NSX for a spin, when you get back into the vette, you'll know one way or the other what you want, for me, it's the NSX :cool:

I just laugh at the fact sometimes when someone who has never driven an NSX bash it, especially if they drive a car of lesser value, since if I wanted to, I could have gotten the same car he is driving, but instead I chose the NSX.[/QUOTE]

:mad: I sure hope you weren't talking about me....I am not bashing the NSX, I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT CAR COMPARISONS TO FIND OUT IF IT'S RIGHT FOR ME....
I CAN'T TEST DRIVE ONE BECAUSE AUTOMATICS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND, ESPECIALLY AROUND WHERE I LIVE.

Last edited:
RPM217 said:
April, I've said it many times before, happy to repeat it for you. I had a 2000 C5 Convertible, leased it for 39 months, I did enjoy the car, loved the HUD, and the bells and whistles, it had, liked the V8 rumble, the torque, but, at the end of the lease, I couldn't wait to get out of the car. Had always like the NSX, leased a 02 at a great rate when the 03's were coming in the door, my lease is up in Feb of 06, and I'm trying to figure out whether to buy it off lease and wait for the "new" HSC/NSX to come out, or just turn it in, the problem is I do love the car, don't want the lease to end. As I've said many times before, the Vette is brute force, the NSX is pure finesse. If it's bells and whistles you want stay away, you won't be happy, hell, there's not even an outside temperature display, the seats don't slide back when you remove the key, and many other things that you have come to take for granted on the vette, however if you want to "drive" a car, stay away from the automatic, and take the NSX for a spin, when you get back into the vette, you'll know one way or the other what you want, for me, it's the NSX :cool:

Thank you very much...more good info from a former C5 owner. I'm thinking this may be more of a car for a guy that is an adrenaline junkie....maybe not for a girl that loves bells and whistles. I appreciate all the great info from you fella's.....MUCH appreciated! :wink:

DocL said:
One last thing for you to consider. Where are you going to get an NSX serviced?

Yes that's the other thing, the nearest acura dealer is in Montgomery alabama and they do not deal in NSX's....so, Marietta GA I guess or Birmingham and they both are about 4 hours away. No good! :frown: Also, insurance will nearly double...I could deal with that I guess but having no nearby access to a acura dealer is a bad thing...thanks for the thought.

pdt287 said:
have you already been told that insurance will double? the reason i ask is because the insurance on my 04 nsx was cheaper than my 04 corvette .

I called and asked and was quoted $731 every six months, where as my vette is 470 every six months. Perfect driving record...have no idea why.
So, you had both cars...tell me your opinion please ?? 04 vette vs your NSX..... :wink:

well, I just found out that Montgomery alabama will service them. Even though they do not sell them. Montgomery is only an hour. That would be close enough...

one thing about the corvette is that everyone and there brother owns one. the vette was fast but the handling in the nsx is unexplainable. another huge factor is resale. my vette msrp was 56,500. i bought it on employee discount from my dads friend who is a chevy dealer for 48,500. i put 3800 miles on it in a year and the most i could sell it for was 40500. it was yellow too which brings more money. so after the tax and depreciation it cost me 11,000 to drive that vette for a year and i bought it right. that is disgusting. lease an nsx for two years and its cheaper. there is no comparing these two vehicles. i would get rid of the vette yesterday and get the nsx today. plus now with the nsx not being made any more that will even help resale better.

ryan

color.GIF

big%20whistle.jpg

Oops ! Wrong whistle image..Hehehe..

pdt287 said:
one thing about the corvette is that everyone and there brother owns one. the vette was fast but the handling in the nsx is unexplainable. another huge factor is resale. my vette msrp was 56,500. i bought it on employee discount from my dads friend who is a chevy dealer for 48,500. i put 3800 miles on it in a year and the most i could sell it for was 40500. it was yellow too which brings more money. so after the tax and depreciation it cost me 11,000 to drive that vette for a year and i bought it right. that is disgusting. lease an nsx for two years and its cheaper. there is no comparing these two vehicles. i would get rid of the vette yesterday and get the nsx today. plus now with the nsx not being made any more that will even help resale better.

ryan

You're right Ryan about the resale value...I've taken a whoopin' each time i've gotten rid of my vettes...BAD woopin'....You think even an automatic NSX would retain it's value? I don't want a 6 speed...

alabamaredhead said:
You're right Ryan about the resale value...I've taken a whoopin' each time i've gotten rid of my vettes...BAD woopin'....You think even an automatic NSX would retain it's value? I don't want a 6 speed...

Well, you'll be faced with this problem if you trade it in. "Most people who buy sports cars don't want automatics...so we can't give you as much as if it were a 6-spd" - Says the Auto Dealership...

Ad in next days paper: "199x Nsx- RARE AUTO! Don't miss this!!"

I think that due to the few auto's that are out there, the demand should still be fairly high.

I'm trying to decide if I could get used to my car NOT telling me when it's time to change the oil, or how much air is in my tires..all that jazz

Since you manage you financial well enough to consider a new nsx, and you are into cars. You should have no problem getting some "boy toys" do all that for you. Oh, a husband or Boy friend who cares about you and have the same interest in cars will wax and wash your nsx too. ok, now you got the WHISTLEs!!! :biggrin:

If you want a new style (02+) instead of getting a brand new one, you particularly saving a bunch of money of getting all the bell and whistles you want in your car.

If you don't really care for the 02 look, and you want an automatic and don't mind driving an used car, for half of the money you would spend on a 05, you can get a very much the same car plus have a lot of money to make the car to you liking... Go to the Bells and whistle and you will see you may add a computer, navi/multi media, high end system, rear view cameras, such and such.
The plus is you may add more other modifications in your liking (and delete some), and you have some money left... Now it's much easier to justify that with your current C5.

oh, btw, don't you "chicks" like Retro stuff?? Does a cassette player fill the bill? It should be the ONLY 06 car that feature that on the market, Classic!!!

NSXDreamer2 said:
Since you manage you financial well enough to consider a new nsx, and you are into cars. You should have no problem getting some "boy toys" do all that for you. Oh, a husband or Boy friend who cares about you and have the same interest in cars will wax and wash your nsx too. ok, now you got the WHISTLEs!!! :biggrin:

AH BUT I'M A INDEPENDENT WOMAN...BOY TOYS ARE ONLY GOOD FOR ONE THING..OTHERWISE, I PREFER TO TAKE CARE OF MY OWN WASHING, PUTTING AIR IN THE TIRES, GAS TOO. :biggrin: (as long as the car tells me when) hahahaha

You're right, I could find a used one for so much less and keep the vette too....how about that? I think that's what I should do seriously, that way, when I want BELLS and WHISTLES I can drive the vette and if I want a supurb handling ride (as you all say it is) then I could drive my NSX and when I need a 4x4 I'll use my 04 HUMMER...Now talk about bells and whistles....The H2 is full of them. I'm spoiled to bells and whistles. :wink: :wink:

If you can look at purchasing a new NSX, it should not be a problem to travel a short distance to test drive a new one.

Also, if you cannot travel out of your immediate area for some reason, there are probably several members in your area who would let you experience their NSX (at least as a passenger and maybe as a driver). You can post in the SOUTHEAST FORUM to find a member who could help you out.

Once you drive one, you will never look back. The feel of the car is near perfect.

Good luck!

satan_srv said:
if you want bells and whistles...the nsx is not the car for you. It hasn't really been updated on the inside much in 15 years. The reason why you buy an nsx can't really be captured in pcs of spec sheets, it has to be driven.

Well said!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I am giving up the bells and whistles in my XK8 for this car, and while I do miss some of them like the outside air temp, heated seats, instant gas milage...blah blah blah I still love this car much more than the XK8. I have gotten more attention in this car in the last week, that's how long I have onwed it, then in the 3 years I have owned the XK8, and those aren't cars you see around often either. There is just something about this car that is FREAKIN' SWEET!!! Hey, if you can afford to have the vette and the NSX, go for it.

I have friends that just left Fort Rucker.

You can buy tire pressure sensors and monitor equipment. They sell this stuff on the aftermarket. As well as heated seats. I may get some for my NSX b/c DC winters can be very chilly. We'll see...have to ask the shop about install costs.

As for the C5's bells and whistles...I guess I never saw them. When my C5-owning buddy totaled the NSX in my avatar, I had his C5 for a few weeks until I got a new one. Seriously, I hated driving that car. Didn't want to be seen in it, didn't like it. The Vette has the more "predictable" handling because it's a front-engined car and most ppl are used to that instead of the oversteer of a mid. The Vette also gives you more "warning" of impending danger and it has stability control programs and whatnot. But, whistles and bells? On a Vette? Huh? The HUD was passable. Yeah, you can stare at your speed while driving. Ok. The RPM gauge in the HUD is borderline worthless because it doesn't warn you when you approach redline. There's no color change, beep, or other key which should alert you. And, this guy's C5 was optioned up. It had all the whistles and bells. As for oil changes...sh!t, they put stickers on windows now which have the mileage to get the next change at. Read it. I never pay any attention to the readouts b/c those are notorious for failing on GM cars.

The C5 has a big V8 and this guy had a Borla race exhaust on it. The car was very fast, yes, but it had a big power rush, huge torque and a shorter rev band. It cornered at high G rates, yada yada blah blah. But, seriously, these cars should not be cross-shopped because they're not even remotely comparable. Shifter, steering, handling, precision, drivability, everything goes to the NSX. The speeds and accelerations are about equal to most speeds, but the Vette throws you harder into its much cheaper feeling seats. At high speeds, which I hit about every day (110+), the C5 is floaty, esp w/ the roof off. The NSX stays fairly flat on the road, tight, at those speeds and beyond.

As for looks, the C5 looks like everyone else's C5. I see several of these cars daily. The NSX...sheesh...I've seen more C5s in a day than NSXs ever. The C5 is a great car, sure. A lot of car for the money, fairly fuel efficient for its performance, and whatnot. It simply isn't in the NSX's class.

But, seriously, learn to drive stick. That's your solution here. Do not buy a car like the NSX in automatic. Nor the C5. Stick is easy to drive and once you get used to it, you will never want to go back to an auto. Manual cars are so much more punchy and powerful than autos that it's crazy. Slushboxes are great for sedans and minivans...not for 2-seat sports cars. Just bite the bullet and learn the stick.

Back