• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What did YOU pay for your NSX? (and when?)

@Yinzer LOL! That guy doesn't really want to let go of his car at that price.

Heck, I think I'll post mine up with a price of $eleventy billion and see if there are any takers. :)

I was being serious with my answer. :) I don't kid myself that any NSX or my NSX is just so desirable to be worth more than $100k in the marketplace, but after the last 2-3 years of seeing values rise some 20% or more, I can't be the only one who has occasionally played mind games during long boring commutes of estimating what would my rear end number be if I were approached by someone waving $$$. It's high enough that I don't think anyone would be willing to pay it, but it and others' crazy high asking prices are probably more reflecting the difficulty of what it would take to replace like-for-like than because we think someone else would actually pay that amount. Pardon me if that's so obvious that I'm the dummy for taking the time to state the obvious.

That's nothing... Check out this black one:eek:

attachment.php

The dealership is a few miles from my home, went a test drove a Panamera for the wife and enquired about it, on consignment and owned by a celebrity; but wouldn't tell me who. Shit, I bought mine from rapper/producer Mannie Fresh, so does that add value to the car, I guess it all depends what celebrity owned it.

When Larry Webster's /94 with 33K miles went up on Bring a Trailer I was shocked that it sold for 66.5K. As some of you know, Larry is with Road and Track magazine. Nice looking car but as I understand not much in way of a maintenance history -- I don't think he owned it for very long. I have a similar car but with slightly more miles -- a shade over 50K -- with nearly full history from day 1 (1st owner an orthodontist in Orange County, CA for 5 or so years and 2nd owner 10 years in AZ). I acquired the car in November /09 with 18,800 miles on the clock and while in my care and control it has been well loved and maintained. I've been tempted to put it up for sale in large part because here in the greater Detroit area there is really nowhere to drive and enjoy the car due to the horrible condition of the roads. I've been resisting that impulse because I've become very attached to the car but if someone waved the kind of money in front of me that Larry's car sold for it would present quite a dilemma.

The dealership is a few miles from my home, went a test drove a Panamera for the wife and enquired about it, on consignment and owned by a celebrity; but wouldn't tell me who. Shit, I bought mine from rapper/producer Mannie Fresh, so does that add value to the car, I guess it all depends what celebrity owned it.

Who is this Mani Pedi you speak of? :) I guess any artificially assigned lofty values further depend too upon the buyer's taste in music and awareness of who's a real celebrity nowadays. Thank goodness I wasn't made aware that Al Roker spent some seat time in mine while sight-seeing Washington DC before I bought it.

Who is this Mani Pedi you speak of? :) I guess any artificially assigned lofty values further depend too upon the buyer's taste in music and awareness of who's a real celebrity nowadays. Thank goodness I wasn't made aware that Al Roker spent some seat time in mine while sight-seeing Washington DC before I bought it.

http://hotcarstv.blogspot.com/2010/04/few-of-mannie-freshs-collection.html

This guy, and to be honest with you I had never heard of him before, his real name is Byron Thomas. Didn't realize who he was until I took the car to a local tire/rim shop to get a lug lock for those gruesome rims. The shop immediately noticed the car as Mr. Fresh and had only drove the car a few months.

I bought mine in November 2015. I'm the 3rd owner of this high mileage car with the wear and tear (interior and body) to show. Everything in the car worked and it had a clean record with no signs of accident damage with reciepts to prove when services were done to it (including the most recent timing belt/water pump change done at science of speed).

Got it for a total of $18.5K and never questioned my decision to do so.

Probably one of the better deals of last year; though I took a chance. I paid $30,300 in a vicious bidding battle on eBay for a 1993 red on black with 97,197 miles. I did this not knowing the service history, or even having seen the car in anything but pictures which were not the best since it had been kept in police storage since 2013. Sat in a garage for two years straight. Once I cleaned the paint up, it turned out to be in great condition minus some little chips here and there. Upon taking the car into the local dealer, they had full service records. Timing belt was 6 years old with less than 3k miles on it, brakes had been done; previous owner had enough time with it in his possession to replace all of the hoses.

So it all worked out. But that's somewhat rare on taking a chance with a large financial purchase.

Probably one of the better deals of last year; though I took a chance. I paid $30,300 in a vicious bidding battle on eBay for a 1993 red on black with 97,197 miles. I did this not knowing the service history, or even having seen the car in anything but pictures which were not the best since it had been kept in police storage since 2013. Sat in a garage for two years straight. Once I cleaned the paint up, it turned out to be in great condition minus some little chips here and there. Upon taking the car into the local dealer, they had full service records. Timing belt was 6 years old with less than 3k miles on it, brakes had been done; previous owner had enough time with it in his possession to replace all of the hoses.

So it all worked out. But that's somewhat rare on taking a chance with a large financial purchase.

Sound like you found a good one. I expect someone on here is going to tell you the timing belt will need to replaced again in a year or so. :rolleyes:

http://hotcarstv.blogspot.com/2010/04/few-of-mannie-freshs-collection.html

This guy, and to be honest with you I had never heard of him before, his real name is Byron Thomas. Didn't realize who he was until I took the car to a local tire/rim shop to get a lug lock for those gruesome rims. The shop immediately noticed the car as Mr. Fresh and had only drove the car a few months.

lol, let's see those rims if you kept any photos? Thread jack I know but it makes for good water cooler talk. The photos in your link throwing down some hand signals and standing next to pimped out baller cars are such a funny cliché anymore...Call me an opinionated know-it-all but it's really sad how much money today's so-called musicians & producers make based on "music" that's throwaway and will never stand the test of time... Dire Straits - money for nothing and your chicks for free!

I've been tempted to put it up for sale in large part because here in the greater Detroit area there is really nowhere to drive and enjoy the car due to the horrible condition of the roads. I've been resisting that impulse because I've become very attached to the car but if someone waved the kind of money in front of me that Larry's car sold for it would present quite a dilemma.

What about some of the country roads north of M14 on either side of where I23 runs north up to I696? Back when I used to drive out to the Pinckney Recreation Area and the Potawatomi trails for mountain biking, there seemed to be a ton of fun looking hilly roads there? Thread jack warning I know...so please be sure to talk about your NSX's potential sale value in any response. :)

Yinzer, I've driven some of the routes you mention with some of our other NSX friends here but decent roads are few and far between around these parts. As for what I paid I don't have a problem sharing given that my car was listed for sale on Prime in October/November /09 so easy enough to find out the ask price should I ever decide to sell it and someone searches the VIN (35K as I recall). It was a great car with very low miles, completely stock and "adult" owned. Although I did not pay full ask price I did not lowball the owner (who was a very straightforward and nice gentleman). Flew out to Phoenix with my good friend who is the lead tech at the local Acura dealer and drove car back home with him! Car has been as reliable as............a Honda. The timing was pretty good -- economy as you will recall was in bad shape back then.

Yinzer, I've driven some of the routes you mention with some of our other NSX friends here but decent roads are few and far between around these parts. As for what I paid I don't have a problem sharing given that my car was listed for sale on Prime in October/November /09 so easy enough to find out the ask price should I ever decide to sell it and someone searches the VIN (35K as I recall). It was a great car with very low miles, completely stock and "adult" owned. Although I did not pay full ask price I did not lowball the owner (who was a very straightforward and nice gentleman). Flew out to Phoenix with my good friend who is the lead tech at the local Acura dealer and drove car back home with him! Car has been as reliable as............a Honda. The timing was pretty good -- economy as you will recall was in bad shape back then.

Bavaria,
Ooops, just to make sure I didn't give the wrong signals -- I definitely did not mean to ask (or even want to know) for details of your buy price; I was just being a smart alec and wanted to say "be sure to talk about NSX values in some way" in any response since my question about the roads north of Ann Arbor was potentially thread-jacking.

I understand where you're coming from, what Detroit roads offer in ease of navigation, they hold back in fun-factor. However, traveling I696 on weekend nights in those stretches south of Royal Oak where the highway is sunken into the ground some 50' below the surrounding neighborhood surface streets while others whiz by and weave in & out of lanes by at 100+ mph was an adrenaline rush I'll never forget for those years I lived there! Not the kind of excitement you want in your NSX, I'm sure.

Yinzer, as a former Torontonian I do agree that is easy to get around the greater Detroit area. Sadly the roads are pathetic most everywhere around these parts. The "Motor City" my *ss. Can you imagine what auto engineers/execs who come here from Europe or Asia must think when they rent a car at Detroit Metro and start driving around only to find the roads are like one might find in some third world country? Pathetic. Then there is Ohio -- just cross border on I-75 and roads become.......near perfect. WTF? I don't want to part with "Baby" but a modern Porsche 911 with the adjustable dampers copes much better with the garbage that passes for roads here. OK, rant over. I have some good bicycling friends in the Burgh and one of my former colleagues is from there -- nice city.

Best,
Jeff

I bought my 1991 red/black manual coupe for $25k in October of 2014 with 84k miles. It was in good shape but needed a lot of work to bring it back up to pristine condition, including reversing some of the questionable modifications. I have another $30k in it at this point, but a lot of that was for performance modifications (headers, exhaust, supercharger, upgraded braking systems, etc.). It probably could have been brought back up to driver condition with stock parts for about $10k, but once things were torn apart I decided to spend the money to make it as good as it can be.

$77,000 in Dec 2003
03 Silverstone / Onyx from Marin Acura with 43 miles now with 20,150.

Yes, first and only owner, and always as exciting as the first day :biggrin:

Yinzer, as a former Torontonian I do agree that is easy to get around the greater Detroit area. Sadly the roads are pathetic most everywhere around these parts. The "Motor City" my *ss. Can you imagine what auto engineers/execs who come here from Europe or Asia must think when they rent a car at Detroit Metro and start driving around only to find the roads are like one might find in some third world country? Pathetic. Then there is Ohio -- just cross border on I-75 and roads become.......near perfect. WTF? I don't want to part with "Baby" but a modern Porsche 911 with the adjustable dampers copes much better with the garbage that passes for roads here. OK, rant over. I have some good bicycling friends in the Burgh and one of my former colleagues is from there -- nice city.

Best,
Jeff

Hey Jeff!

First, you have to use the DD to learn where the most severe potholes are located... then commit them to memory! Step two: find any excuse to drive it and enjoy it! "What's that dear? You need some milk and flour to finish baking your cake? Sure I'll go to the store for you. Where's my NSX keys. BTW, I'll be taking the long way." In my 4 years of NSX ownership, I put a lot of "dumb miles" on the car, even a few trips to the office. After a rough day, it's a joy to walk to the parking lot and hop into NSX goodness.

P.S. I still b**ch about Beck Road between 6 Miles and 10 Mile, which is bad year round on the south end of that stretch, but becomes nearly impassable in the winter not from the snow, but the buckling of the foundation that occurs when the ground freezes. In the spring it settles back down and becomes usable again. Amazing.

Well said Patrick

I DD most of spring summer and fall, I try to memorize every pothole on my commute to and from the office. I take the extra 5-10 minutes to avoid the damaged roads. It's unfortunate we have to drive under these conditions considering being the Motorcity.

Roads in iraq are easier than some parts of Metro Detroit.

Sorry for the thread jack but responding to PJR and Hass -- rest assured, I know where every pothole and other road imperfection (imperfection is a gross understatement) is on the roads I traverse with regularity -- I avoid these in the DD and I'm sure one day one of our finest law enforcement folks is going to stop me on suspicion of impaired driving! I get your point completely about driving the car and enjoying it. Since acquiring the car in November /09 with 18,800 miles, I've driven it a shade over 30,000 miles. However, there is no getting around the fact that despite overwhelming opinion that the NSX is a sports car that doesn't beat you up with a nasty ride, even the stock suspension has attenuated travel and is from an era where sports car suspensions did not cope well with the kind of roads we have here. Just drive a new 911 and you will immediately understand my point. The foregoing is not a diatribe rationalizing a decision to sell the NSX and get a 911 -- I don't have to rationalize that decision if I ever make it. I'd prefer the roads here to become like in OH and I'd be happy!

Hass, as for Iraq, wonder if any NSXs there? That would be something!

Best,
Jeff

Michigan... first world state with third world roads.

^ sounds about right!

Jeff I'm not sure, I wouldn't be surprised if one of Saddams boys had one in their collections. There's a 3 year rule there, they had a lot of garbage imported after fall of saddam

I paid $54,000 for my 2003 Imola Orange in 2007 with 13.8k miles.

Judging for the current eBay auction on the imola 2002, looks like your sitting pretty!

Back