• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you think of this '91? JH4NA1155MT000291

Re: What do you think of this '91?

That is pretty hefty without a service update or records. Patience always helps in the end to sort it out if need be your looking around a good total 29k after all is well if not more or less.

Listed also
Year: 1991
Make: Acura
Model: NSX
VIN: JH4NA1155MT000291
Stock Number: 11019D
Mileage: 76416
Transmission: Manual
Engine: 10 Cylinder, 3.0 LExterior Color: Red
Interior Color: Black
Title: Clear

Seems a little too high. I've seen 91's go in the $20-$23K range with similar mileage. You could get a 95' targa for that price. I've been following prices for the last 6 months and I've seen quite a few 95'-96' that recently sold in $25-$28k range. With the economy the way it is right now cars, like anything else (houses, boats, etc.) are continuing to decline in value. I think it will continue to be a buyers market for at least the next few years. It's great for buyers, not so good for sellers.

I wouldn't say it's a bad deal. Looks pretty nice. I don't particularly like the stereo application - probably sounds better than OEM but doesn't look right. I'd have to get another dash that fits that radio but I'd rather just have it stock. That's personal taste and you may not care that it isn't totally stock.

The fact that it has no records just means that you gotta figure it needs not only a timing belt but the water pump and all the hoses too. That's at least 2400 min. Then it may need other stuff too. I bought mine with a pile of reciepts and I put 5k in it immediately. I also paid more for it - but it had a comptech exhaust header and later model exhaust system and it had the window thingys done which is a biggy and the AC was totally gone thru and works very well. There is just a lot that can need attention and without records you gotta go in knowing that - also - you gotta get a PPI (an inspection by a qualified shop that knows these cars)!!! Got to when you have no records especially. I had to replace my clutch - you may not - but a ppi would surely show that up. Clutches last different legnths of time depending on how they're used - mine is now on its third clutch - for example. They should definitley last longer than that!!!

Anyway, I would always go into ownership - especially in this case with no records - with 5k in my back pocket for deffered maintenance and you should to! These cars aren't cheap to maintain and if this car has never had a timing belt replaced (I'm on my third) then what else does it need? You can bet more than a timing belt and furthermore - how does the salesman know it needs a timing belt? Has he had a PPI done and if so - by WHO??? Something to ask but really no matter what he says if he has no records he's just shooting in the dark unless he had this car inspected by a real NSX master mechanic - and that's what you need. The Acura dealer is not necessarily the best expert for this - oh they'll surely tell you they are but that doesn't mean they ARE. Anyway if that's all you have available in the area I'd make damn sure I had their oldest and best master mechanic look at it.

Now - one other little thought for you - I have no idea what your budget is but you should never go into NSX ownership blind if you can at all help it - unless you know them very well. In other words - why not try and find an individual owner that has records. You may not pay any more than this and you'll have a lot of peace of mind with records and knowing the owner and how he's maintained the car and how the owners before him maintained the car if those records are in the hand of the owner! See what I mean?

Hope this helps. Good luck and all the best - lastly - don't ever, ever be in a rush to find a car. There are plenty out there and if you miss one - there will be another along in a while that may even and many times are better than the one you see right now!

Seems a little too high. I've seen 91's go in the $20-$23K range with similar mileage. You could get a 95' targa for that price. I've been following prices for the last 6 months and I've seen quite a few 95'-96' that recently sold in $25-$28k range. With the economy the way it is right now cars, like anything else (houses, boats, etc.) are continuing to decline in value. I think it will continue to be a buyers market for at least the next few years. It's great for buyers, not so good for sellers.

Not to argue at all but anyone showing me a 91 for 20 to 23k is telling me without a doubt I will be coming out of the pocket with 5 to 7k in deffered maintenance dollars - no doubt. It may be a buyers market but there are NO 91s in perfect shap with all maintenance up to date for that kind of money - no way - you'd have to show me that for me to believe it.

I've seen what you're saying too but usually higher miles and also no maintenance history and maybe some accident history. 50k mile 95 - 96 targas here again - maybe the asking price is as you say - but here again - big money in maintenance coming your way soon. You get what you pay for - pay now/upfront or pay later - take your choice. Find a primer's car for sale - you'll see what I mean.

I'll have to be patient. I agree that they may be asking a bit too much with no service records. I would go for 23k on this one if they'd agree.

I'll have to be patient. I agree that they may be asking a bit too much with no service records. I would go for 23k on this one if they'd agree.

If there is no accident history on this one - then 23k would be an awesome deal - they won't part with it for that - but then that's what I'm talking about - small dealers can't negotiate too far. You just need to let these type cars go by by and wait for one that you can afford from a Primer or an owner that has everything done. There is no substitute for a well documented car - PERIOD! NONE - NADA - NEIT - can't be too emphatic about that. Meaning you don't want anything but a well documented car - it will come - make no mistake about it.

Let me make one other suggestion if I may - buy the latest model you can afford. The newer the better - that's good advice no matter what type of car your looking at unless you are looking for a certain type car. Like a 1988 M5 BMW - they only made them for a short while. The NSX is different - it's either an NA1 coupe 91 -94, an NA1 targa 95 and 96, or an NA2 coupe or targa - from 97 to 2001 (damn few coupes), then what I call the NA3 - but that's my own nomenclature and some others for the 2002 - 05 because of the exposed headlights and different upgraded interior. If your going for the early coupes - I'd go for 93 or 94. Just my opinion. The newer the better - I'll stand by that and I have a 91. I wouldn't trade my car now cause I have it totally up to date and it's just right. Next spring it'll have the Swift Sport springs and Bilstiens and Conti DWs. Then I'll be done for the duration except for regular maintenance of course.

That is pretty hefty without a service update or records. Patience always helps in the end to sort it out if need be your looking around a good total 29k after all is well if not more or less.

Listed also

This one? I really want Ivory interior and the 7 owner thing is kind of a turn off. Doesn't seem like a bad price though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...3522847?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53e4f4a11f

If there is no accident history on this one - then 23k would be an awesome deal - they won't part with it for that - but then that's what I'm talking about - small dealers can't negotiate too far. You just need to let these type cars go by by and wait for one that you can afford from a Primer or an owner that has everything done. There is no substitute for a well documented car - PERIOD! NONE - NADA - NEIT - can't be too emphatic about that. Meaning you don't want anything but a well documented car - it will come - make no mistake about it.

Let me make one other suggestion if I may - buy the latest model you can afford. The newer the better - that's good advice no matter what type of car your looking at unless you are looking for a certain type car. Like a 1988 M5 BMW - they only made them for a short while. The NSX is different - it's either an NA1 coupe 91 -94, an NA1 targa 95 and 96, or an NA2 coupe or targa - from 97 to 2001 (damn few coupes), then what I call the NA3 - but that's my own nomenclature and some others for the 2002 - 05 because of the exposed headlights and different upgraded interior. If your going for the early coupes - I'd go for 93 or 94. Just my opinion. The newer the better - I'll stand by that and I have a 91. I wouldn't trade my car now cause I have it totally up to date and it's just right. Next spring it'll have the Swift Sport springs and Bilstiens and Conti DWs. Then I'll be done for the duration except for regular maintenance of course.

I would love a Targa, actually. I doubt i'd find an NA2 within my price range with under 100k miles. I'll be keeping my eye out.

What's your price range? That will surely help us help you figure out the puzzle. Point I was trying to make is unless you are very lucky and find a great owner that has maintained the car just right you will have to put money into the car - it's just a given. I personally think that buying one up to date with all records is the way to go. If you have less than 30k - well you may be ok - but most likely you'll need to buy one with higher miles than 50k to get in at the right price if you have to put money in and right at 30k with around 75k miles for a perfect one. That's my guess - you could get lucky though. I would be very careful of one at around the 20k price point - which I assure you will not have 50k miles or less anyway. I haven't seen em. They might be out there but I doubt it very seriously.

If all this sound like your going to have to stretch - then hold on and save more money before purchasing anything! That is the kind of advice you usually don't get from really young guys. No offense to really young guys - I'm all for young fellows getting NSXs but so many go in with blinders on, get sold a bill of goods, realize they really can't afford to dump a bunch of money in the car and have to bail out after 6 mos of ownership - there are of course exceptions.

Totally unmolested low mileage coupe is hard to find. I like the color combo, rubber is OK. No curb rash on any rim indicates that the PO was very careful with this car. In some of the pics paint looks a little oxidized/sun bleached but that may just be the pics. Hate the stereo install. For this car with that mileage I'd go for it. But I like the coupes better than the targas because I feel the body twist with the top off the targas and that drives me nuts. You'll love this car.
Happy Motoring!

I live not too far away from that one. Let me know if you would like me to stop by & look it over for you.

I DOES look nice....

If you're looking for a perfectly serviced red 91, check out mine:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142018

Some people won't even look at a car that's had paint work, but you won't find another 91 as up-to-date on maintenance as mine. Plenty of Prime members, including Larry Bastanza, can attest to it's condition.

I am a realistic seller, but I do know the value of a fully serviced NSX. Others who posted here are not kidding about the $5K you can face on an NSX without service history.

Ryan - I'd be all over GCNSX's car in comparison. Looks like a real bargain. With it you get all the documentation and know that its up to date with maintenance by the best. If I were looking I'd sure be interested at that price for sure. Good luck with your search! Jay

I have no clue why some of you guys are complaining. This car is a cherry! Just look at the seats, I don't see any major wear and tear, which means the owner really took good care of it; not to mention the mileage. What is couple thousands if you get a car that is not only clean, low mileage, and it is completely stock! If I have a choice between this one and another with with mods but higher milage, I'll take this one any day!

What's your price range? That will surely help us help you figure out the puzzle. Point I was trying to make is unless you are very lucky and find a great owner that has maintained the car just right you will have to put money into the car - it's just a given. I personally think that buying one up to date with all records is the way to go. If you have less than 30k - well you may be ok - but most likely you'll need to buy one with higher miles than 50k to get in at the right price if you have to put money in and right at 30k with around 75k miles for a perfect one. That's my guess - you could get lucky though. I would be very careful of one at around the 20k price point - which I assure you will not have 50k miles or less anyway. I haven't seen em. They might be out there but I doubt it very seriously.

If all this sound like your going to have to stretch - then hold on and save more money before purchasing anything! That is the kind of advice you usually don't get from really young guys. No offense to really young guys - I'm all for young fellows getting NSXs but so many go in with blinders on, get sold a bill of goods, realize they really can't afford to dump a bunch of money in the car and have to bail out after 6 mos of ownership - there are of course exceptions.

I'm looking to spend south of $25k. I doubt i'll be one of those guys that would bail out, no offense taken. That budget of $25k is a number i came up with after considering the few thousand that i might have to spend on getting the car up to my standards. Thanks, everyone for the advice.

If you're looking for a perfectly serviced red 91, check out mine:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142018

Some people won't even look at a car that's had paint work, but you won't find another 91 as up-to-date on maintenance as mine. Plenty of Prime members, including Larry Bastanza, can attest to it's condition.

I am a realistic seller, but I do know the value of a fully serviced NSX. Others who posted here are not kidding about the $5K you can face on an NSX without service history.

Nice car! I really, really want the ivory interior though. Otherwise, i'd be all over it.

but if it needs the timing belt done it needs more than that, Waterpump, Valves adjusted, probably all the coolant hoses are 20 years old.
the ABS master brake/ master clutch, slaves, etc need to be replaced.
I would PASS on this one.

pass pass pass.

but low mileage, clean car just needs the maint updated. but to pump 5-6K into a car thats already 25K

31K car in the end. PASS

The seller wants 28K+ for the car not 25k. For 25k I think it would be a fair price for a low miler in the color combo the guy likes. Hell - how much do you think a completely sorted 91 with 55k miles on it is worth? I believe it is easily worth 31k if not more. Hell how much do you think I'd ask for mine if it was for sale - completely sorted - it would be over 30k - there aren't any fully sorted 91s for sale now. If there are they go for over 30k if they're low mileage cars like mine.

Some don't think low mileage means anything - you can surely buy 100k 91s when they come up a lot cheaper - but you rarely find any car for sale that has everything up to date - everyone should know that! When you do - you pay a premium. If it takes 5k to 7k to bring one up to fully sorted condition - well it's pay now or pay later.....just add 5 to 7k to any car on the market for fully sorted condition IF you can find one and that's what they're worth.

Last edited:
The seller wants 28K+ for the car not 25k. For 25k I think it would be a fair price for a low miler in the color combo the guy likes. Hell - how much do you think a completely sorted 91 with 55k miles on it is worth? I believe it is easily worth 31k if not more. Hell how much do you think I'd ask for mine if it was for sale - completely sorted - it would be over 30k - there aren't any fully sorted 91s for sale now. If there are they go for over 30k if they're low mileage cars like mine.

Some don't think low mileage means anything - you can surely buy 100k 91s when they come up a lot cheaper - but you rarely find any car for sale that has everything up to date - everyone should know that! When you do - you pay a premium. If it takes 5k to 7k to bring one up to fully sorted condition - well it's pay now or pay later.....just add 5 to 7k to any car on the market for fully sorted condition IF you can find one and that's what they're worth.

I was talking to the dealer through ebay and got him down to 25,800 something out the door.

Tim,

Would you consider my car "fully sorted"?

I want to get my price spot-on. Any feedback would be great.

Without seeing all the records it's not easy but, has the clutch ever been replaced? How's the master and slave cylinder? Mine was leaking at the time and I replaced all that and the clutch.

How bout window thingys? Sounds like the AC works well - have you had any work done on that? Mine was sorted completely by the POwner. Like I say there is a lot that a 91 can need.

On the surface though and miles do count I believe your selling cheap. I would guess 28k at least and maybe more. Your car is in great shape with Larry B on the wrench for the work. Fully sorted - that's always an open ended kind of thing but if Larry said it's right then that means a lot to us Primers. I would actually say between 28k and 30k.

For example - mine has had some front valence spray and rear bumper. When I bought my car it had 43k miles on it and now it's got 48k miles. It came with a folder full of reciepts, window thing's, radio was sent to the company in Dallas - they were the best before Brian K. The window things were done. It has TSW wheels, a comptech set of headers and late model exhaust system. The AC was totally gone thru new evaporator and head unit stuff, Dali chip - means nothing much, automatic door lock thingy installed, has car cover, has window screen, interior is 8 out of 10 only very minor side bolster wear, carpets and liners fine, I have Swift Sport progressive springs and bilstiens, new tires, I have all the original everything that came off - wheels & springs and 05 shocks and springs, exhaust, headers (read boat anchor), I have a Dali sport front sway bar and original, wool seat covers, new window fold down visors, ABS has been flushed and worked, - bought for 28.5k and then I added new OEM clutch, master, slave, valve adjustment, CV boots, evaporator tank new, new steering rack, zll fluids and recent oil change, all new hoses, new gas cap, the rear under glass deck lid was replaced, new window/trunk hold open devices, all this work done last year about this time.

I have 48k on the odo and about 35k in the car- I'd probably have to sell it for around 32k to 33k. I consider mine fairly well sorted.

I do think that you are asking too little even with 65k miles or so. If I were to peg yours I'd say 28k to 29k would be a good price. I think mine has that much more in extras and go fast stuff and other replacement parts that are worth the extra 3 to 4k.

See what you can get but I'd bump it up. Problem is now is a bad time to sell - many will say your car is worth what someone will pay. Maybe so - it's a confined market but how many of these cars are out there? It's a tough call on pricing because we have toys not have to have items. These are sometimes used as DDs but not the most practical of solutions imho. However, if someone wants an NSX of all the ones that are out there knowing what we know - ours surely are the best of the best of the 91s that is. We just need to keep our prices where they are cause in not too long we'll be sorry we didn't I think.

For what it's worth.

Tim,

Would you consider my car "fully sorted"?

I want to get my price spot-on. Any feedback would be great.

I think you are somewhat low.

However, your car is fully serviced which new owners should understand means alot on a NSX so it should sell for your asking. Servicing can be costly when items need to be replaced. Anyone can buy a NSX at $25k or lower but it won't have the servicing done unless its one steal of a deal.

Good luck!

Listed also

The mileage has been rolled back on this one. I was going to submit an offer. I searched for the VIN here on Prime and found out.

On 07-14-2005 the odometer was at 87k. Check out this thread

Listed also

Back