• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you think of this '91? JH4NA1155MT000291

I looked at this car in person a few weeks ago. I took pics too but I forgot to upload them and make a post about it.
When I looked at it a few weeks ago, it was $30k.

I didn't really have a look at the engine, as I'm still doing research on what to look for, but I it will likely need a valve adjustment at the least.

Body work wise, it's in okay shape. Front bumper may need to be repainted depending on how picky you are.

The deal breaker, besides the price, was that the rear quarter seems to have been repaired / repainted. I don't care if a front bumper had to be replaced or repainted, but I don't like rear quarter damage. The work seems to have been done recently, as there's a bit of paint on the fender lining. The fender lining is torn slightly. The rear bumper seems to be a tiny bit off. See attached pics.

Now that I know that it needs a timing belt, that makes this even worse of a deal.

Attachments

• photo(39).jpg
    photo(39).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 75
  • photo(40).jpg
    photo(40).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 75
  • photo(41).jpg
    photo(41).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 80
  • photo(42).jpg
    photo(42).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 85
I looked at this car in person a few weeks ago. I took pics too but I forgot to upload them and make a post about it.

I didn't really have a look at the engine, as I'm still doing research on what to look for, but I it will likely need a valve adjustment at the least.

Body work wise, it's in okay shape. Front bumper may need to be repainted depending on how picky you are.

The deal breaker, besides the price, was that the rear quarter seems to have been repaired / repainted. I don't care if a front bumper had to be replaced or repainted, but I don't like rear quarter damage. The work seems to have been done recently, as there's a bit of paint on the fender lining. The fender lining is torn slightly. The rear bumper seems to be a tiny bit off. See attached pics.

Now that I know that it needs a timing belt, that makes this even worse of a deal.

Thanks for the info. If they could come down on the price a couple thousand, i'd be more interested.

I am confused is this the car in Dallas or Va?

It shows to be at the Dallas Car Store now.

It looks like it has been reposted on eBay... but now it says "A true survivor ONE OWNER, ALL UPDATES, ALL CAMPAIGNS COMPLETE, TIMING BELT CHANGED, AND CLUTCH UPDATE, 1991 Acura NSX"

On the orginal post it stated the car needed a timing belt. Now it shows it has been done. Did something change? Did they come up with some receits? If it is a one owner car, then you would think the original owner would have maintained it well.

The seat bolsters look very nice for a car with that age and mileage.

If a person is looking for a particular color interior like the ivory, it may be tougher to locate one. Looks like there are 333 91's, 49 92's, & 15 93's (MT) cars with the Formula Red/Ivory combination. No other years appear to have that combination for USA cars. Wiki production numbers show 397 MT's and 62 AT for a total of 459 NSX's with the Red/Ivory combination.

It would be awesome if you could locate the original owner and see if he has any documentation.

If it has had body work or shows any carfax information of being in a wreck, that would definitely affect the price.

Like Tim mentioned, other cars will come along. It just depends how particular a person is for a certain color combination, etc. Red/Black like mine come along all the time.

I haven't been keeping as close an eye on the market price lately...

But if a person could come up with the records, no accident history, a PPI, etc. $25kish doesn't seem like it would be too bad of a deal for a car with 55k on it.

It is never a bad idea to have an extra $5k or so in reserve for the maintenance. These cars do seem to be quite dependable. Though, you wouldn't want to risk not having the TB/WP done. Having that break could really ruin a persons day. :frown:

Good luck in your search.... like I normally say, there is lots of fun to be had in the hunt... keep us posted on how your hunt turns out and post pictures when you bag the big one (the keeper).

- Rod

Did anyone notice how the VIN # changed from JH4NA1155MT000291 to JH4NA1150MT000649 ?

The VIN on the car mentioned in the first post was and still is correct. Someone posted another NSX for sale along with the VIN, and i suppose that's the one that a mod put in the thread title.

Ryan,

I've been watching this thread for a while. You want to make sure that, if the NSX is truely THE car of your dreams that you buy the right one. If that takes 6-12 months, then so be it.

I bought my car from a prime member and it had all the records from day one and every service was done way before the book called for it. Don't make the mistake of falling in love with the wrong car and then 2nd guessing your purchase years down the line.

Don't buy a car sight unseen unless at least 2 prime members have looked at it for you, then buy a one way ticket and drive it back. I bought my car in TX, drove it back to FL and smiled all the way. 6 years later I still love seeing it in the garage.

Ryan,

I've been watching this thread for a while. You want to make sure that, if the NSX is truely THE car of your dreams that you buy the right one. If that takes 6-12 months, then so be it.

I bought my car from a prime member and it had all the records from day one and every service was done way before the book called for it. Don't make the mistake of falling in love with the wrong car and then 2nd guessing your purchase years down the line.

Don't buy a car sight unseen unless at least 2 prime members have looked at it for you, then buy a one way ticket and drive it back. I bought my car in TX, drove it back to FL and smiled all the way. 6 years later I still love seeing it in the garage.

I'll be passing on this one. I'm in the process of purchasing an NSX from Prime member enigma.

It's a sad day for me :frown: (or rather the sad day will be coming shortly, when the truck comes to take her away), but it seems by doing so, I'll be starting a "new chapter," if you will.

Gonna miss her, but it definitely won't be my last NSX!

I love that interior. Black is not my favorite but your's looks great. Sorry you've had so much trouble selling the other car. Wish it was the other way around for you. Good luck with school; that's more important.

I don't know this car personally, but it's got records, tasteful mods, sweet wheels and you can tell the owner cared for it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that interior. Black is not my favorite but your's looks great. Sorry you've had so much trouble selling the other car. Wish it was the other way around for you. Good luck with school; that's more important.

I'm a huge fan of black or red on ivory.

I don't know this car personally, but it's got records, tasteful mods, sweet wheels and you can tell the owner cared for it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I bought it! So it'll still be around here on Prime.

If anybodys interested in the 91 NSX JH4NA1150MT000649 I had a PPI done on 11/9/10. I'll summarize the info below. PM me if you want a copy of the doc. Overall I thought the car was pretty clean and was pretty tight. I specifically asked about any signs of painting and bodywork and the tech said he didn't see any. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that it looks like it has fresh paintwork. I know one of the store owners has been using it as his favorite demo car so maybe he had an accident since I had the PPI done. In dealership $$$ the total to fix the stuff below and do the 60k service was around 5k.

Transmission not in snap ring range.
Washer check valves are clogged.
Both power window movements are notchy (needs adjustment and lubrication)
Engine hatch struts need replacement.
Cam plugs leaking oil.
Timing belt is past due by time. Also has old style water pump..so most likely hasn't been changed.
Clutch master cylinder leaking.
VTECH spool valve gaskets leaking.
Upper windshield molding has shrunk.
Battery failed load test.

Last edited:
I test drove it right around Thanksgiving, so it may have been feasible that it was damaged in that time.
I'm not sure if it was fresh or not, I just noticed that there was paint on the fender lining.

I just drove this one this afternoon as I was heavily considering it. Still am, but....

Here are my observations to go along with the previous ones...

Good:
Seems to run & drive tight. Alignment is dead on straight, handling is good, engine fires right over, throttle seems quick, and EVERYTHING seems to be working fine (signals, radio, lights, A/C, switches, power windows & seats, latches, etc..)

Questionable to Bad:
Above mentioned weak rear glass hatch struts. No biggie.

This car has had paint work. I missed the fender lining over spray and the mis-aligned rear bumper cover (as per pics posted earlier above by JS2K), but yes, the front nose has been repainted (seems normal to "pretty-up" the front from regular driving rock chips) but inside the front grill there is definite over-spray (not too professionally done, IMHO).

The entire driver's door, alone, has been repainted for whatever unknown reason. I could very clearly compare the front fender and driver's rear quarter reflections to the driver's door and tell that the door suffered from major "orange-peel", as opposed to the crystal-clear reflection of the other body panels. This is obviously from not being properly color-sanded after painting...it looked like a brand new Corvette does in the Chevy showroom... :)

Driver's side rear wheel rim has been repainted as evidenced by the obvious showing of silver paint over-spray on the rear brake caliper. Again, not done too professionally.

Driver's side inside plastic ivory door sill had been repainted and showed lots of scratches showing about 50% of the paint having already come off. Upon moving the driver's seat all the way forward, I could see ivory paint over-spray on the seat rail. Again, not professionally done.

While I was down there viewing the seat rail over-spray, I also noticed two distinct cigarette burn marks in the carpet along side the driver's seat between the door sill & the seat edge. It didn't smell like a smoker's car, but still, not good.

I was informed that the PPI done by a previous potential buyer ("Booyah" here on prime) only turned up that the timing belt was needed simply due to age, not mileage. The seller said that they had no records and no idea about the clutch ever being done. Not sure why a previous poster read that the then-current auction around early December stated "TIMING BELT CHANGED, AND CLUTCH UPDATE". The stories don't seem to follow here.

Last thing was a very small (mini hail-sized) ding at 12 o'clock on the passenger front fender...along with a few minor nicks that had been clearly painted over, but still were visible when focused on.

Previous eBay auction question posted from bidder, and answered by buyer: when buyer was offered $22K for the car, they replied that they "own it for $25,297" & couldn't take $22K. Current "buy-it-now" on eBay is $24,700...

Last curiosity: seller stated that this car originated in Pennsylvania (I think they said Philly), yet there was a pre-owned dealer window sticker in the glove box from 54,141 miles (current mileage is 55,619...so almost 1,500 miles ago) showing that the car was in inventory & offered for sale by a Lexus dealer in Margate, Florida...& the Lexus store was so high on drugs that they had this car listed at $41K & some change!

Note: current eBay auction states 55,028 miles. Apparently there has been 600+ miles of test drives lately :)

The after-market stereo wasn't bad, but I'd rip it out asap & dump it on eBay in favor of a stock unit. Also seems to have been some kind of car phone system in the car at one time from the panel & buttons inset into the coin tray by the shifter...

Over-all, not a bad car, and certainly a beautiful color combo on a low-mileage & clean(er) example. All that said & all things considered, I would probably take it for the right price.

This would make a great daily driver. I just wish there were some answers to explain all the paint work...

Last edited:
wow I have never seen OVERSPRAY so Obvious what a poor Painter that guy was.

atleast cover the wires during re-spray. that just plain LAZY. LOL

my 5 month old son could have done a better job.

After a while of consideration I ended up purchasing this vehicle today (JH4NA1150MT000649). The minor cosmetics didn't bother me much since it will be my "fair weather daily driver".

I've always wanted an NSX, and have been looking over the past couple years off and on. The main reason for this buy was the color combo, so to me it's worth the extra premium in price. The additional dealer "joy-ride" miles doesn't bother me, it's better off not being a garage queen in my opinion.

The first thing that will be done upon arrival is maintenance, including water pump, timing belt, hoses, etc...

It's going to a good home, so everyone can rest at night:)

Last edited:
After a while of consideration I ended up purchasing this vehicle today (JH4NA1150MT000649).

Care to share the (ballpark) purchase price? That'll help us others trying to sell...we can see where we stand. (We should have a "sold" database for research purposes).

well congrats, even if she doesnt need timing belt and water pump/ valve adjustment get one done anyway. so you can sleep soundly at night LOL.

when i had mine done i had no idea if it had been done or not with the previous owner but had it done anyway so when they took it all apart it looked new. we compared the old belt with the new one just a little color change. so I probably did it for nothing but i can sleep at night knowing it done.

so I say def do it.

Care to share the (ballpark) purchase price? That'll help us others trying to sell...we can see where we stand. (We should have a "sold" database for research purposes).

+1. They said it was a "buy it now" for $24,700 on ebay (good deal at that price, but it DOES need services...), but if you bought outside eBay, they saved on fees & may have worked with you a bit. Inquiring minds want to know: over / under that? ... :)

As far as a "sold for" database: that would be nice but could be a bit misleading since every car is different (needs this, has that, etc...)

Yes, the color combo is so very striking. I have a Revell 1:18th of this that had a kinda tan interior that I disassembled and painted exactly to match the NSX cream shade. It sits on my desk at work.

If I end up with a red/blk, I'd want to switch out for the cream interior. There always seems to be a few owners of blk/cream cars that would love to switch over to blk/blk, so it wouldn't be that hard to find someone willing to swap interiors. :)

Congrats on your New Year's new toy! Hope to see you out & about with her.

Last edited:
Back