• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What does NSXPrime.com membership mean to me?

I just bumped up a bit; I hope this will help out.
I am not a FB person, so maybe I am missing out.
Besides this and the UK forum these are the two places I go to.
So much good info.
I may have not got my car without this tribe.
I have used these forums extensively for small projects and a bit more.
Hope the candle keeps burning.

I am new to these cars (pick up a 15k mile 2005 in a couple days), but active for a long time on other forums.

The obvious first step to increase revenue to the site would be requiring a paid membership to sell things. In other words, you can’t post in the classifieds, or mention a car or item for sale in the forums, unless you are a paid member.

These cars are worth, I dunno, $30k to $200k, so there are no destitute NSX owners that couldn’t afford $20 a year to have a full membership that would allow using the marketplace.

(I assume that business sellers already have to pay to list items for sale?)

Here are two examples of other forums (I’m sure there are more):

Rennlist Porsche forums: membership $18 per year, $32 for two years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/the-rennlist-marketplace/buying-selling-and-trading-on-rennlist-186.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/payments.php

Ford GT forum: $500 lifetime membership required to list cars for sale

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/posting-rules-gts-for-sale.36918/

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/account/upgrades

Just a suggestion (I signed up for a $50 membership here a week or so ago...)

Hey guys, I had to step away for a minute, what did I miss? :tongue:

Wow, checking back in all these years later, it's sad to see the current state Prime is in. As I stated in another post, I look back at my 5,400+ posts and realize how much time and comradery spent here in this community only to realize that it will *poof* vaporize into the ethers of the digital world. I suppose it's a bit of a metaphor for life in that no matter how relevant things seem at the time, that it too will soon be lost and forgotten; a faded thought that only exists in the minds of a dwindling few; a grave no longer visited. I take some solace that it hasn't quite "died", rather it metamorphized into alternate forms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, much like my NSX life (I still have her though!) has moved on to things like my family and mostly focused on spending as much time with my daughter as I can. I'd like to think I made the most of it while I was around and I can always say, it was fun while it lasted!

While I commend and applaud the idea of keeping the site alive (and I hope you can) it's really going to be a tough challenge to overcome. At the end of the day, it's really going to be the passion project of a few financially secure individual(s) to thanklessly keep this sinking ship afloat and I just don't see that happening. In my humble opinion, I think the best course of action would be to archive the entire site, zip it up in to a downloadable and searchable file and host it on multiple free servers that will not only be available to everyone but stand the test of time. Heck, if I can still find archived commercials from my childhood and play downloadable Atari 2600 games then it shouldn't be too difficult. In that way, all of the conversations, knowledge and information will be secure and preserved and not be at jeopardy of being lost forever because not enough people crowd-funded the server hosting fees. The downside of this course means it effectively ends Prime as we know it. It would be the equivalent of freeze drying it and locking it in ice. Forever preserved; never changing, for better or for worse.

Sad? Yes. But the friendships and conversations still live on through social media. I'm still friends and in contact with my NSX comrades even though I haven't been active in Prime in years. The value in Prime is the history of knowledge and data shared over the years and that can be kept preserved for a fraction of the cost (or even free) it would require to maintain or update the current version of Prime as a forum and social networking site. But what about new and ongoing things? Like, tech information? There's Reddit or Facebook. Marketplace? There's Ebay, Craigslist, and Facebook. Meetups? There's Meetup and Facebook. For the most part, these things have already replaced Prime for their respective functions. So at the end of the day, that leaves Prime left for what it is, an archive of a wealth of knowledge and time capsule of the good times of individuals with a commonality; namely a passion of a car called the NSX.

Not knowing the current financial state, I believe it can be done with the current situation and volunteer base. And if there is one I learned from hosting the 2010 NSXPO in Las Vegas, you can never underestimate the collaboration and collective brain power of NSX owners when they get together as demonstrated by our group picture:

NXS.JPG

NSXPrime is a major part of NSX ownership for me. Facebook groups do not cut it. Historical postings are all available on NSXPrime, not easily found on Facebook. As well Facebook seems to be getting nasty with personal opinions and not strictly NSX related data.
I am guilty of not spending time on NSXPrime lately as well, but I promise I will spend more time there, and really, that is what we all need to do.
Let's all do what is required to keep this valuable site.

I'm not at all buying into the doom and gloom..Prime of old lives in all of us.....The billions of bickering sheeples can have all they want on other platforms....prime is for the eternal sportsmind in all of us.

Last edited:
I'm not at all buying into the doom and gloom..Prime of old lives in all of us.....The billions of bickering sheeples can have all they want on other platforms....prime is for the eternal sportsmind in all of us.

Call me an optimist, but I tend to agree here. I don't think the forum is dying, I think it simply changed. If you think about it, during NSX Prime's "heyday", i.e., 2002-2012ish, most member were first or second owners and the car was still relatively current and new. Most of the forum content was about how to live with this awesome exotic car and the things one could do with it. Since that time, a lot of those owners moved out of the car to something else. The lag time on the NC1 development often meant that the "something else" was not a NSX. :) Looking back through the forum, I feel like 2015-2019 was kind of a lull as older owners got out of the car and newer owners got in, and not much content was generated. Unfortunately, most of the newer owners gravitated to FB, which is great for instant response and selling stuff, but it pretty much awful for everything else. Many have no real idea about NSX Prime.

However, as the Gen1 NSX is experiencing its second wave in terms of value, I'm starting to see many new owners come here again. Also, more NC1 owners are trickling back in. Unlike 2002, we now have to understand that the forum/site content will be calibrated to living with a classic car instead of a modern exotic in the case of the Gen1 and, in the case of the NC1 (assuming we can convince the community to come back here from FB), perhaps something like what Prime was like in those early years. The earliest NSXs are now 30 or 31 years old, so that means NSX Prime will become a place for the community to discuss and share experiences with how this great Honda will age. I think we'll see a lot more action in DIY and new owners sections.

The way I see it, we have a few major priorities to get Prime back to prominence:

• First, we need to get the software and hosting upgraded (including https [MENTION=3821]DocL[/MENTION]) so that the site runs stably and potentially at a lower cost than present. Based on cost, we will need to keep at least some ads.
  • Second, we need to get the site subscription service back in front of members and drive revenue to keep our new software and servers going. Leading by example, I'll be upgrading my subscription to Champion level and selecting automatic renewal.
  • Third, we need some of our long-term and knowledgeable members to volunteer some time to actively moderate the forums. This is how we can compete with FB- it will speed up response time for questions, welcome new members into the community, and weed out all of the garbage content and nastiness of social media. MANY of you have already volunteered and we greatly appreciate it. You'll start to see new moderators appear on the forums over the next few days. They will be familiar faces to you. ;)
  • Finally, we need to start steering new members who post on the FB groups back here to the forum, where helpful mods and members will answer their questions and encourage them to post more stuff on Prime about their new NSX instead of some Civic Boi who doesn't even own a NSX screaming at them about the best 20" rims and some snake oil engine treatment.

If we can do these 4 things even a little bit better than current state, I think NSX Prime will last the life of our cars and we'll all still be arguing about what the best oil is for the NSX when we're all 90 years old. :D

Other than the priorities above, which I believe are critical, we also have plans to address photo posting/hosting, site layout, membership access to content, and potentially cross-linking to social media. We're also going to upgrade/fix the Wiki and we will need volunteers to start combing the old forum posts to populate the articles with good content.

A lot more to come, but I'm glad to see so many old faces coming back. [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] is right- even without all the FB members, there is a core group of owners here who can keep it going. I think Prime's future is bright.

Any idea of the admin and hosting costs?

The donation link doesn't work, neither does the wiki, and photo hosting limit is unsat.

I think a $50 cost per vehicle VIN in the Classifieds For Sale post is more than fair. It might be easy enough to admin with paypal, though I don't know.

I don't do Facebook, never have, it is weak, and with any luck NSXPrime will outlast it. Too bad it is even a thing for NSX owners.

If more money is needed right now what is the paypal account?
[MENTION=37085]centerpunch[/MENTION] you the FGT guy that managed to order up a blue mac-less? I should have picked up that car when it was up for sale. The wife greenlighted a FGT, but I just had new twins and figured maybe a few years later...

Any idea of the admin and hosting costs?

The donation link doesn't work, neither does the wiki, and photo hosting limit is unsat.

I'm working with Lud to get all of that information so we can make smart choices about what routes to take for upgrading and transitioning software platforms. The wiki will be killed off and removed from the site but the information contained there will be retained and republished through the front page of NSXPrime.

My goals are to:
1) upgrade the forum software to something newer, more robust, quicker, less resource intensive.
2) upgrade our hosting platform so we have more space (to allow better photo hosting) and more computational resources hopefully without incurring a larger price tag
3) move the wiki content and FAQ content back to the front facing pages of NSXPrime to make the whole NSXPrime experience more centralized, it's a little too scattered at the moment
4) try to streamline the donation process

Once I have all of the information I need we will have a better idea of what it will take to keep the new spruced up NSXPrime training chugging along for the next decade. Any questions/comments/thoughts feel free to share them here or shoot me a PM.

I am new to these cars (pick up a 15k mile 2005 in a couple days), but active for a long time on other forums.

The obvious first step to increase revenue to the site would be requiring a paid membership to sell things. In other words, you can’t post in the classifieds, or mention a car or item for sale in the forums, unless you are a paid member.

These cars are worth, I dunno, $30k to $200k, so there are no destitute NSX owners that couldn’t afford $20 a year to have a full membership that would allow using the marketplace.

(I assume that business sellers already have to pay to list items for sale?)

Here are two examples of other forums (I’m sure there are more):

Rennlist Porsche forums: membership $18 per year, $32 for two years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/the-rennlist-marketplace/buying-selling-and-trading-on-rennlist-186.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/payments.php

Ford GT forum: $500 lifetime membership required to list cars for sale

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/posting-rules-gts-for-sale.36918/

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/account/upgrades

Just a suggestion (I signed up for a $50 membership here a week or so ago...)

All great suggestions. We're thinking along these lines too.

I just want to say even though I haven't been really active, I love NSX Prime. Thanks to all those that run it, moderate, contribute, and even bicker (at least in the good old days).

I don't do Facebook, never have, it is weak, and with any luck NSXPrime will outlast it. Too bad it is even a thing for NSX owners.
I don't do either but have to admit that FB does have some advantages if you're looking for 'fast food'.
Attractive picture/video, short comments, likes. it's easy, 'quick and dirty', satisfying the daily need for the next shot of info. But it remains cursorily and repeats itself over the time. No longer discussions possible with serious content or DIY write-up or a search function. But again, it attracts people.

The donation link does work. I just paid for a recurring Platinum membership a few minutes ago on it. Just letting you know...

I think we should use a membership protocol similar to S2KI, which I’m still a member of even after five years without my beloved AP1 (*goes full man-cry at this point*).

Free access for all, membership required to sell anything, varying levels of swag depending on the level of membership. Swag should say “Prime” with a partial NSX silhouette instead of “NSX” to avoid legal challenges? I could use a new license plate frame, for example...

Maybe collab with NSXCA, NSXCE, NSXCUK, NSXCC for a small discount on membership with certain level of site membership, or vice versa?

I am very active in the NSX FB groups in addition to Prime, so I see what happens in the groups. FB is the most likely source of new members for this website. Site needs to be updated and the Wiki updated in order to attract these folks. It will take more than folks like me, and others, linking threads on FB, to bring folks here.

To end, Prime helped me to buy my car, it’s helped me to maintain it, and it’s helped me to mod my car. I’ve met some of the people in this thread because of Prime. Folks like us will keep the site going on one way or another. I don’t completely buy into the gloom and doom, and think Prime still has a place in the marketplace.

I don't do either but have to admit that FB does have some advantages if you're looking for 'fast food'.
Attractive picture/video, short comments, likes. it's easy, 'quick and dirty', satisfying the daily need for the next shot of info. But it remains cursorily and repeats itself over the time. No longer discussions possible with serious content or DIY write-up or a search function. But again, it attracts people.

I agree on all of this. I'm probably one of the youngest members here, and came to Prime so late that it was already in this state without me really understanding it.

FB serves an important role and I try to answer questions there when I can, but it's all quick throwaway stuff. Anything longer than 3 sentences people won't read, and then FB buries the post after a day and won't show it to anyone else so the thread inevitably dies very quickly.

I'm a direct beneficiary of the library of info on Prime and believe in the value of having a "permanent record" of DIYs and questions. Without that and the people on here willing to spend real time and effort to help and answer questions, I'd be way behind where I am now. There are few people on FB with the knowledge and willingness to fully explain a problem and offer solutions (maybe besides Steven Glover, the absolute madman).

It would suck to have to migrate a Build thread fully over to Instagram or something with only 140 characters to write, I find that style of posting hard to follow. I think FB is here to stay for news posts, pictures, and marketplace stuff, but Prime definitely has everything else going for it. I think it will do well with the updates being discussed, and I'll be here to help either way ;)

Last edited:
@centerpunch you the FGT guy that managed to order up a blue mac-less? I should have picked up that car when it was up for sale. The wife greenlighted a FGT, but I just had new twins and figured maybe a few years later...

Yes, had a new no stripe, no mac blue Gt in 2006, but didn’t keep it long. Bought a tungsten no stripe, no mac GT early this year, not sure if I’ll hang on to it or not.

Call me an optimist, but I tend to agree here. I don't think the forum is dying, I think it simply changed.......

Yes, I agree with you. As our cars get older, it takes a different approach to keep them on the road. An example would be the posts where alternative parts can be used for discontinued items.

I don't do either but have to admit that FB does have some advantages if you're looking for 'fast food'......

I think you nailed it. I often see folks having problem posting photos on Prime. Maybe they get frustrated and move on to FG or Instagram for that reason.

@NSX_n00b mentioned photo posting as one of his goal. I think he is spot on. Having an easier ability to post photos will help, not only to satisfy the instant gratification of sharing photos, but also allow folks to share DIY or Write-ups.

I agree on all of this. I'm probably one of the youngest members here, and came to Prime so late that it was already in this state without me really understanding it.

FB serves an important role and I try to answer questions there when I can, but it's all quick throwaway stuff. Anything longer than 3 sentences people won't read, and then FB buries the post after a day and won't show it to anyone else so the thread inevitably dies very quickly.

I'm a direct beneficiary of the library of info on Prime and believe in the value of having a "permanent record" of DIYs and questions. Without that and the people on here willing to spend real time and effort to help and answer questions, I'd be way behind where I am now. There are few people on FB with the knowledge and willingness to fully explain a problem and offer solutions (maybe besides Steven Glover, the absolute madman).

It would suck to have to migrate a Build thread fully over to Instagram or something with only 140 characters to write, I find that style of posting hard to follow. I think FB is here to stay for news posts, pictures, and marketplace stuff, but Prime definitely has everything else going for it. I think it will do well with the updates being discussed, and I'll be here to help either way ;)
Thanks for the interesting insights and info.

My experiences with other car owners go like this:
- if the guy is around my age or older, normaly a conversation starts.
- if the guy is >10 years younger than me, the conversation is like an electrical diode in most cases. He's asking me for a solution for his problem, I'm sorting it out for him. But if I'm asking him for a very small favor that costs him less than 5 minutes, absolutely nothing comes back. A month later the same guy's asking me his question next very politely as nothing has been before. It's against my nature but this time I'm not responding too (thinking to myself "fvck off"). Conversation stopped.
EDIT: I'm living in Europe, so I can't speak for the rest of the world. I've not grown up as a multitasker as with smartphones. The highest of the highest in my youth was a computer with Windows 1.0 or a MAC, both very expensive, even for Swiss people. The world of my generation is more linear. But that doesn't exclude to learn multitasking as well even if I won't reach the same speed as the younger gen.

Last edited:
I think you nailed it. I often see folks having problem posting photos on Prime. Maybe they get frustrated and move on to FG or Instagram for that reason.

@NSX_n00b mentioned photo posting as one of his goal. I think he is spot on. Having an easier ability to post photos will help, not only to satisfy the instant gratification of sharing photos, but also allow folks to share DIY or Write-ups.
Good point. I haven't uploaded pictures to prime for a long time.
Why? You have to resize pics. Even then my space is nearly used up.
I know that disc space is expensive. One cool feature I know from a local auction website is the automatic resizing of pics. You can load up in any size you have, it's accepted. No more manually (or with a picture size reducer software). Not sure but I guess eB and other plattforms has that feature too. Would be nice to have.

I don't need to change photo size...just upload from my PC ..pics come from my Samsung 10.

I upload all my pictures to Imgur, insert image from URL on Prime's "Go Advanced" window, paste link to pic, and uncheck the box. Never had issues with inserting images or people being able to see them.

The only rub being I'm not sure if Imgur will keep letting me upload 1000+ images to my personal account for basically free storage, I have made some public posts so maybe that makes up for it. If it goes Photobucket then I'd be in a bad way, lol. YMMV I guess.

We can not let this die and disappear into the ether! I don't post much on it only because of the limit the site has put on me for uploading photos, but I do use it as a reference more times than I can remember. Any time I have a question about something or when someone asks me a question on one of the FB sites that I don't know the answer to, it's off to do a search on prime for the answer.

I upload all my pictures to Imgur, insert image from URL on Prime's "Go Advanced" window, paste link to pic, and uncheck the box. Never had issues with inserting images or people being able to see them.

The only rub being I'm not sure if Imgur will keep letting me upload 1000+ images to my personal account for basically free storage, I have made some public posts so maybe that makes up for it. If it goes Photobucket then I'd be in a bad way, lol. YMMV I guess.

I've used the direct upload feature (especially through Tapatalk) to attach images directly. For my FS posts I use Imgur (that way if it goes photobucket who cares), and for my Build Thread I use Google Photos/Drive which is changing in June from unlimited storage to 15GB.

The struggle with hosting the photos ourselves on Prime is the storage issue. I'm trying to set us up with a scalable hosting service so that if we start to see photos eating up space we can just add disk space but that will obviously come with a cost. The forum update should make the uploading of photos easier

I posted the link to this thread up on the Facebook NSX Prime group earlier today. I think both places have their uses and there could be tighter integration between the two.

I’ve been posting images via Tapatalk, it’s so much easier, and I’m on my phone more than my laptop for leisure browsing nowadays.

Last edited:
Back