• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is this for (part in the rear inner wheel well)?

I believe that is a tie-down hook which is used during flatbed transport.

J

What is your wheel well coated with? Truck bed liner?

I'd leave them in case you ever need to put it on a trailer....

-700 grams. Still deciding. :) It's a Honda, it never fails! :tongue:

No, seriously: Even a standard NSX is low enough that the one will be in trouble who has to flat-bed my car. They could fix the wheels instead.

@osugrad97: It's not my car. My friend removed the tar and sprayed some kind of 'anti-stone' protection on it (rubber-based). I'm about to do something similar at the moment but avoid this particular step because you never get it off in the future (or it's a hell of a pain). I'll paint it first, then maybe coat it with a gun-proved coat.

That I am almost 100% is for the Ship when it comes via oceanic transportation from Japan the first time, most towing companies tie up the car wheels into their beds ..

I think
OScar

That I am almost 100% is for the Ship when it comes via oceanic transportation from Japan the first time, most towing companies tie up the car wheels into their beds ..

I think
OScar

No towing company would ever use my wheels as points for securing the car down. Not that it's not safe and secure but there is a big potential for damage.

I've seen first-hand tow companies that used the tie down hooks on flatbeds. They have a heavy chain with a hook at the end. They put the chain down into a hole in the flatbed that has a slot in it that accepts one link of the chain. Then they pull the car a little further up the flatbed and it tightens up the slack in the chain and secures the car. I've also seen carriers that used thick nylon straps on the suspension.

J

.... I've also seen carriers that used thick nylon straps on the suspension.

J

YES! that, I got confused sorry, that is what i see all the time, those thick straps attached into the car's suspension ... you are right on that one!
Oscar

Last edited:
So there's no need to have them, even while towing?

Most typical towing companies use chains and the tie down bracket(s) - probably almost all, in my experience so you'll probably want to keep them on.

I've seen nylon straps used before, but only by race teams or by custom transport companies.

J

If you tow another car didn't I read in the manual that you should fix the lowing robe on the suspension?

Never let someone use straps or chains to tie down your suspension.
Do you mean "never let someone tie down your vehicle using the suspension" (don't use suspension to tie down vehicle) or "never let someone compress your suspension when using straps or chains to tie down a vehicle" (don't use frame to tie-down vehicle). It's not clear to me if you're trying to prevent damage to suspension pieces or saying people should not have the suspension compressed (tied down).

I've always been under the impression that you SHOULD use the tie-downs to slightly compress the suspension and should NOT tie a car down by attaching to unsprung components (i.e. wheels) because the latter can cause excessive movement of the vehicle that could cause damage/wear to shocks. Could be an urban legend, but I've heard of shocks heating to the point damage (or even fire?) from tying down a car by it's wheels/axle.

Seems counter-intuitive, but putting a vehicle on a trailer or truck (which itself has a suspension) can amplify movement from bumps, etc instead of minimizing it. Even if potential damage to shocks is out of the picture, I would think stability of the trailer or tow truck would be better with a static load (tie down by frame) than a dynamic load (car bouncing on its suspension).

This PDF from racerwholesale suggests tying down using the frame but doesn't rule out tying down by tires, etc:
http://www.racerwholesale.com/image2/PDF/towinginfo.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion - It is not a good idea to use straps or chains directly on your aluminum suspension pieces. Use the tie-down brackets in the front and back, or the "T" or "J" hooks in the body.

It's obvious its much better to use the frame hooks. And if you dump the front hooks you also lose their skid pad functionality. I'm having a real hard time leaving them on though. I may at least fab new ones out of aluminum.

why not use the rhinoliner (spray in bed liner for trucks) that would be awesome and shouldn't cost too much either.... except you'd have to remove pretty much everything to get it done....

Back