• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is your current daily driver

Don't bother with the SHO. It is a piece of junk. The only worthwhile thing about it was the Yamaha-head engine, which they killed after the 2nd Gen. The manual gearbox was horrid.

A 7 series would be fine, just make sure it has a CPO warranty.

The original Q45 (1990-1996) was a blast, but the 2nd and 3rd gen. are too soft and uninspired.

Both the X5 and the FX35/45 are fun to drive and sporty, for an SUV.

You may want to check out the TL. Great value, nice 6 spd, tons of content.

Another X-5 plug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safest SUV on the road?

The X5 features front and rear deformable crush zones built into its body structure, and a recent IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) 40 mph frontal offset crash test gave the X5 the highest marks ever recorded for any SUV ever tested. Impressive.

The X5 has plenty of airbags - dual front airbags, door-mounted side airbags, and head protection airbags for front and rear passengers. Dual rear side airbags are also available as an option.

In addition, the X5 features standard all-wheel-drive which distributes power 62% to the rear and 38% to the front wheels on a full-time basis; Automatic Stability Control and Traction (ASC+T) system which improves traction by automatically braking and retarding the throttle when traction is lost; Dynamic Stability Control which helps prevent understeer and oversteer by selectively braking individual wheels and reducing engine power; Cornering Braking Control which brakes the wheels with differing pressures to account for lateral acceleration; and Dynamic Brake Control which adds braking pressure in panic braking situations.

There's a lot of evidence to suggest that the X5 is one of the safest, if not the safest SUV, on the road.

from 2001 article http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01bmw_x5_3i.htm

4 doors: TL type S 6-speed. 2 doors: Accord coupe 6 speed. Both sporty and extremely practical and good values. If you're
interested in the A6 don't forget to look at Passat/Jetta as well.
Depends on how important the marque cache is to you.

Lexus LS400

My Daily Driver is a Lexus LS400. It's a '92 with 90K on the clock and is in pristine condition. It's totally comfy, quiet and dead reliable if well maintained, which mine is. I never thought that I could drive a car like this until this one fell into my lap. (Part of a trade for my 2000 Audi S4tt). Look for a nice, clean, well maintained Lexus...you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:
JimK said:
4 doors: TL type S 6-speed. 2 doors: Accord coupe 6 speed. Both sporty and extremely practical and good values. If you're
interested in the A6 don't forget to look at Passat/Jetta as well.
Depends on how important the marque cache is to you.

FYI, there is no longer a Type S version of the TL. The 2004s are either a TL or a TL 6-speed (sans badge). The engine in both is 10 hp. above the 2003 Type S.

This is my daily beater, which seems fairly popular amongst the NSX crowd

Attachments

• new_bimmer.jpg
    new_bimmer.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 371
It does look like there are a lot of NSX'ers with BMW 3 series as well.... From what I have gathered, of all the BMWs out there, the 3 series is the most bulletproof.

Another question, anyone drive a last generation Legend coupe? I have a friend in California that is thinking about selling his.... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike
------------------------------
91 Sebring Silver/Black NSX
99 White/Tan Miata

sanchin said:
Another question, anyone drive a last generation Legend coupe? I have a friend in California that is thinking about selling his.... Any thoughts?

The 2nd Gen. Legend is a fairly reliable car. My parents have owned a couple of them, all higher mileage and relatively trouble free.

Decent lines, decent performance, very good value for the content they bring. Coupes have nice lines and cool windows that roll down for the rear passengers.

I don't like the feel of the manual version cars. The transmission and clutch give you zero feedback as to the engine RPM. The absence of a warranty and near universal rust problem, in conjunction with the gearbox issue, caused me to pass on the Legend when replacing the daily driver last month.

I am sure there are many on this board who swear by the Legend.

I think the new Acura TL is an awesome car, and perhaps the best value in the entire car market. It comes fully equipped, with standard features like HID lights, sunroof, HID, etc that many competitors charge thousands of dollars for. And, of course, 270 hp ain't too shabby, either. For around $33K list, it's a steal - definitely worth considering.

(If you're looking for a "used reliable sporty feel sedan", why not get a new reliable sporty feel sedan for less money than some of the other cars you mentioned?)

tl_gallpop_img2_ext.jpg

My daily driver is pictured in my avatar.

I put in another vote for the new Acura TL. I sat in one a couple of months ago. This is an amazing machine. That is all I will say. Go check one out this weekend if you have time.

No two wheel commuters here? NSX is in the shop, so back to alternating between a '99 GSX1300R and a '00 CBR 900 at the moment. The temperature is a little low and the rain bites, but the time saved by getting to use the carpool lanes more then makes up for it. Parking is considerably easier as well. Factor in the great mileage and insurance not being required in WA and its the cheapest mode of transport too.

I have two daily drivers. The beater is a 1989 nissan 240 the first non-honda car I ever bought. Not much better in the snow than a NSX, but I can do crazy drifts without worrying if I hit a curb. The other one is my old baby a 2000 civic hatch, I went full out with JDM-Mugen parts. I can post more pics of the civic if anyone here is intrested.

Attachments

• civic.jpg
    civic.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 246
If you are looking at the X5 or FX, why not check out a MDX. I owned one for 1.5 years(before it got stolen and torched). I absolutely luved. IMHO, it is the best Luxury SUV for the money. Its by far the best compromise in the luxury suv market. Test drive one, and you will be impressed by the handling. Sure it might not be as sporty as the X5, or FX, but it has more room, and rides a lot better.

just my 2 cents

Recent BMW work for a new M3. Look at Bimmer.com for other stories concerning BMW. I have never been called by anyone at BMW regarding service or satisfaction. You obviously have a good dealer, on the other hand, the Mercedes dealer in our area which is owned by the same company provides GREAT service.

Tim

Back