• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What other similar sports cars did you consider?

I worked at RAYTHEON and I went through all the Deming /six sigma/CMI classes.

You would not believe the load of crap they gave me when I pointed out the same metrics could be applied to management.

Yes, that was always my biggest challenge. Management would hire us to change the place, not realizing that conditions there were a result of their efforts. I have had the pleasure of working within some organizations where Leadership accepted responsibility and became the vehicle of change.

I used to teach a Lean Certificate program for the College way back when Lean was the Thing. I had this one manager come to my class in 5S for the second time. I was surprised to see him and asked why he was taking the class again. He said that everything was working well, but he was concerned that if he did not walk the floor on a regular basis that things would start to fall away. He wanted to know how he could stop checking up on the guys. I cried, then told him that it was his responsibility as Leadership. He must demonstrate what is important, or the emergencies of the day will again take over. He left somewhat saddened.

Back to our forum. I have seen 5S done in so many different ways by organizations. Toyota did it via 3S, the Aerospace and Defense industry in the US did 6S and I recall visiting Honda's HPD Engine facility in Southern California. They did not recognize any S program but did it their own way. Here is a picture of their manufacturing floor. The file was originally 60 megs, so I had to reduce. Still pretty impressive how clean and organized their place was.

Attachments

• Machining24-1.jpg
    Machining24-1.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 333
  • assmbly18-1.jpg
    assmbly18-1.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
I was waiting on the new NSX (during the years of pre-production delays) when a 2006 Ford GT became available...I got that instead and kept my 1991 NSX.
05-06 Ford GT possibly best analog supercar for under a million dollars. My goal was to track it but when the prices shot through the roof decided not. Only issue was high coolant temps when on road courses.

I used to teach a Lean Certificate program for the College way back when Lean was the Thing. I had this one manager come to my class in 5S for the second time. I was surprised to see him and asked why he was taking the class again. He said that everything was working well, but he was concerned that if he did not walk the floor on a regular basis that things would start to fall away. He wanted to know how he could stop checking up on the guys. I cried, then told him that it was his responsibility as Leadership. He must demonstrate what is important, or the emergencies of the day will again take over. He left somewhat saddened.

Back to our forum. I have seen 5S done in so many different ways by organizations. Toyota did it via 3S, the Aerospace and Defense industry in the US did 6S and I recall visiting Honda's HPD Engine facility in Southern California. They did not recognize any S program but did it their own way. Here is a picture of their manufacturing floor. The file was originally 60 megs, so I had to reduce. Still pretty impressive how clean and organized their place was.
Thanks for sharing, bet you have some good stories! Pretty amazing to see the transformation of a factory floor (and all systems and mgmt controls) after successfully integrating these tools. I’m still struggling with 5S and my garage. A work in progress. I’ve been on a big kick lately to clear out stuff.

Always wanted a 1st gen NSX but ended up getting a 2011 997 TTS first then an SC'ed 97 NA2 both are awesome to drive in their own way. The Porsche is just so fast I can see how people get themselves into trouble without nannies to keep them on the right track so to speak. But the analogue feel of the NSX is hard to beat. I also have been looking at R8's and would love to have a 458 and experience Ferrari ownership just once but I am not sure my pocketbook could take the abuse so I will likely end up with a gen2 NSX down the road. McLaren is a possibility but the same money drain during ownership scares me.

05-06 Ford GT possibly best analog supercar for under a million dollars. My goal was to track it but when the prices shot through the roof decided not. Only issue was high coolant temps when on road courses.
I had the GT Guys/Torrie (Unleashed Tuning) set the temperatures for the cooling fans to come on at a slightly lower temperature...no worries (BUT I really don't tack mine that hard).
FGT VIR cropped small.JPG

Attachments

• Martinsville.jpg
    Martinsville.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 215
Always wanted a 1st gen NSX but ended up getting a 2011 997 TTS first then an SC'ed 97 NA2 both are awesome to drive in their own way. The Porsche is just so fast I can see how people get themselves into trouble without nannies to keep them on the right track so to speak. But the analogue feel of the NSX is hard to beat. I also have been looking at R8's and would love to have a 458 and experience Ferrari ownership just once but I am not sure my pocketbook could take the abuse so I will likely end up with a gen2 NSX down the road. McLaren is a possibility but the same money drain during ownership scares me.

The Mclaren will hurt your pocketbook MUCH more than the Ferrari. I've owned 2 F's and they don't really fall apart or anything; it's the maintenance that's pricey. Mclaren maintenance is just as expensive (if not more as you're less likely to find an indie mechanic) and WILL fall apart.

I had upgraded to the Ford Motorsports pulley and tune. At moderate temps at Willow Springs 90-95F not even racing radiators helped.
Sorry to hear that...I have run mine at VIR but not that hard. I have run my NSX harder at VIR-Patriot course and Carolina Motorsport...no issues.

Back